♀ - Please be aware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ♀ - Please be aware

Alicia Gali: Rape Victim Who Was Jailed For Being Assaulted in UAE Tells Her Story

To all Westernized women who travel or seek employment abroad, I cannot emphasize these cautionary points more strongly:

• Be very aware of stringent legal codes in countries which base their judicial system on Islamic sharia law

• Be aware also that divorce and child custody laws are distinctly different than what you are familiar with in your home country
    sigpic

I believe some countries that are predominantly Islamic view Western (infidel) women as objects to be used as needed or desired. There is a presumption that such a woman is loose, of dubious morals, and craves sex with total strangers.

I mentioned this once before... my own daughter, now a Captain in the Army, did a tour in Afghanistan. She asked me before she left - "Do you think I should wear a head scarf when out in public?" I answered "I think it would show respect for local customs and religion; can't hurt, may help." She wore it three months. In that time she was propositioned dozens of times, had her rear grabbed, called a "Western slut" and a whore, and the locals seemed surprised when she didn't reciprocate their advances. Off came the head scarf. "F them. If they won't respect me, I have no respect for them." She let her long, golden locks wave freely in the air, an "In your face" attitude. Didn't stop the sexual harassment, but it made her feel better. ;)

Standard disclaimer - NOT an attack on Islam, just on a certain subset.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
      • Be very aware of stringent legal codes in countries which base their judicial system on Islamic sharia law
      UAE court system

This rape case would have come under their criminal law. Nothing to do with sharia. She was in Fujaira, and i doubt this case went up to the federal level.

Just googled her name and loads of articles crop up saying this or that happens because its sharia.

I find her 8 months stint in jail rather odd. Where was the australian embassy guiding her at the outset with a lawyer etc.

• Be aware also that divorce and child custody laws are distinctly different than what you are familiar with in your home country
      This bit comes under sharia.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 19 May 13,, 16:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
        I believe some countries that are predominantly Islamic view Western (infidel) women as objects to be used as needed or desired. There is a presumption that such a woman is loose, of dubious morals, and craves sex with total strangers.
        Sir, your belief is a fact. However, this attitute is not towards western women but towards all "kafir" women in general, and it has religious sanction.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

In that time she was propositioned dozens of times, had her rear grabbed, called a "Western slut" and a whore, and the locals seemed surprised when she didn't reciprocate their advances.
          Sorry to mention this sir, but what were her male comrades in arms doing when all this was happening? My friends and I have beaten black and blue to an inch of their lives some Jordanian and Sudanese students for making lewd comments at Indian girls who were complete strangers. Granted you guys are in a foreign country, but you are armed and have the upper hand?
          Last edited by doppelganger; 21 May 13,, 06:41. Reason: added "sir"

Comment

Sorry since I am relatively new here I may have missed it if it was discussed somewhere earlier.

But to the western folks here, have you been introduced to the term "love jihad" ?

Something all non-muslim women around the world, and their male relatives and close friends, should always watch out for and be on guard against.
            Last edited by doppelganger; 21 May 13,, 06:56.

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
              Sorry to mention this sir, but what were her male comrades in arms doing when all this was happening? My friends and I have beaten black and blue to an inch of their lives some Jordanian and Sudanese students for making lewd comments at Indian girls who were complete strangers. Granted you guys are in a foreign country, but you are armed and have the upper hand?
              She was never in any real danger of rape or assault. She was well armed, as were her comrades. But you cannot blow away a local because he used some bad words, nor can you pummel them, as much as the troops would have liked. Interestingly, much of the verbal abuse came from adolescent males, who were encouraged in some cases by their elders to behave in this manner.

Her male compatriots were extremely protective of her (and all ISAF women), which obviously has both good and bad attributes.

Comment

Something in this story doesn't add up. The woman was out drinking with her colleagues who then raped her. The rapists were neither locals, nor Arab. Typically, they would be dealt with very harshly and/or deported. That's how things work in the UAE. She was denied legal help by the Australian consulate, also very unusual.

Btw this from the article:
                She also confessed to consuming alcohol, which is illegal without a license. Gali signed a confession in Arabic, which she did not understand.
                is something you should NEVER do. Common sense. There should be interpreters available, if not, even Dubai police speak passable English.

Edit: just noticed that the alleged rape occurred in 2008. Why is she bringing this up now?
                Last edited by cataphract; 21 May 13,, 23:58.

Comment

Alicia Gali: Rape Victim Who Was Jailed For Being Assaulted in UAE Tells Her Story

To all Westernized women who travel or seek employment abroad, I cannot emphasize these cautionary points more strongly:

All very valid points, but irrelevant to the story at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                    Edit: just noticed that the alleged rape occurred in 2008. Why is she bringing this up now?
                    She has exhausted all legal avenues for compensation and is using public opinion as a last resort.

Some would say she was foolhardy to go to the UAE by herself, i say she was gutsy. Its unfortunate it turned out this way. She made some wrong decisions along the way and/or received bad advice.
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 22 May 13,, 10:13.

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                      My friends and I have beaten black and blue to an inch of their lives some Jordanian and Sudanese students for making lewd comments at Indian girls who were complete strangers.
                      I don't believe you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                        I don't believe you.
                        I did not ask you to. :)

Comment

I believe some countries that are predominantly Islamic view Western (infidel) women as objects to be used as needed or desired.
                          What happened to Alicia Gali is not something limited to 'Western/infidel women'. Under Musharraf Pakistan went through a very public debate over repealing/amending the 'hudood laws' (imposed by Zia-ulHaq) that essentially punished a female victim of rape for 'sex outside of marriage' by requiring 'four male witnesses of good standing to testify that the woman was in fact raped'.
                          Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
                          https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                            I don't believe you.
                            It's the internet. Every guy is a 7ft tall adonis that has gone rambo on someone, dates 7 supermodels and drives a lambo. No really!

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                              She has exhausted all legal avenues for compensation and is using public opinion as a last resort.

Some would say she was foolhardy to go to the UAE by herself, i say she was gutsy. Its unfortunate it turned out this way. She made some wrong decisions along the way and/or received bad advice.
                              Having lived in the UAE for a couple of years, I wouldn't recommend any single lady going there. It's not the law, it's the raw demographics that are inherently dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                              X