How do we stop terrorist bombers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we stop terrorist bombers?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am starting this thread here as I think this is a scourge that has hit us all and we are all in this war together.

I know this may be the Internet, but each one of us can make an impact, and the greatest discoveries have often been by accident.

How can we prevent bomb blasts?

How can we make it real tough for these cowards to plant a bomb in our midst and slink away?

How can we protect ourselves, seeing as finding a bomber is tough, predicting one even tougher?

I would like to share from an Indian perspective, recognising the fact that there may be some convergenc and some divergence depending on the milieu and locale.

1) Educate citizenry. Mobilize them. Sensitize them. Do not hide stuff from them for fear of panicking them. An alert citizen is your first line of defence. Who is new in the locality? Who is buying a lot of stuff repeatedly? Who comes and goes at vague hours? Who never mixes and stays to themselves, visited at vague hours by vague people? Who is leaving a bag unattended? Who is leaving a cycle with stuff on it? Is there a car parked somewhere for long with no one returning to it? Have you reported a stolen vehicle, bike or car?

2) Control strictly the sale and authorization of new SIM cards, without proper documentation. The mobile phone has emerged as the terrorost's No. 1 weapon of choice. Take it from him.

I have many more, but I would like to kickstart the discussion, and then keep it rolling.
    Last edited by doppelganger; 19 Apr 13,, 12:48. Reason: Sorry for foegetting (not knowing) about brave female warriors in our midst

Best way to prevent terrorists is to kill them before they act

Comment

True. So how can we identify them, predict their movements, meeting places, areas of influence/recruitment, and catch them before they act?

More often than not in Indian context money does not work. Fear is stronger. False misplaced loyalties too.

Comment

Minority report? Fail.

Even in a movie.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Minority report? Fail.

Even in a movie.
          I didnt get this one bro. Please explain?

You alluding to Srikrishna Commission?

Comment

Minority Report (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Ah ok. Seen it. :)

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                I didnt get this one bro. Please explain?

You alluding to Srikrishna Commission?
                DP, globally the reasons for terror attacks are different.

In the Indian context: (a) Terror/insurgent attacks were limited to their areas of concern till communal politics reared it ugly head.
                (b) 1993 blasts were a direct result of the Shiv Sena engineered riots in Mumbai.
                (c) 2002 Gujarat resulted in a deluge of terror attacks, especially in Mumbai and Gujarat.
                (d) The Air India Kanishka 747 bombing and subsequent attacks were a result of the 1984 anti-sikh riots.

If anyone threats your community and you have suffered a loss, then you will retaliate. You were not a terrorist but your desire for retributionfor the losses suffered by you, makes you one.

In the jihadi context w.r.t US: The cause and effect are different.

Poor politics is the prime cause of terrorism.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                  DP, globally the reasons for terror attacks are different.

In the Indian context: (a) Terror/insurgent attacks were limited to their areas of concern till communal politics reared it ugly head.
                  (b) 1993 blasts were a direct result of the Shiv Sena engineered riots in Mumbai.
                  (c) 2002 Gujarat resulted in a deluge of terror attacks, especially in Mumbai and Gujarat.
                  (d) The Air India Kanishka 747 bombing and subsequent attacks were a result of the 1984 anti-sikh riots.

If anyone threats your community and you have suffered a loss, then you will retaliate. You were not a terrorist but your desire for retributionfor the losses suffered by you, makes you one.

In the jihadi context w.r.t US: The cause and effect are different.

Poor politics is the prime cause of terrorism.
                  So I guess any further AQ or allied terrorist attacks against the US can be blamed on Drone strikes and the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and can be considered "retaliations"? Poor politics indeed.

I'm also wondering how Hafiz Saeed felt under attack by riots in India. And like I told you earlier, the 92 riots weren't started by the Shiv Sena.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                    So I guess any further AQ or allied terrorist attacks against the US can be blamed on Drone strikes and the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and can be considered "retaliations"? Poor politics indeed.
                    It's not about 'considerations', but 'perceptions'. AQ and Islamist terrorists are indeed motivated by the belief that U.S. foreign policy has harmed, oppressed or killed Muslims in the Middle East.

I'm also wondering how Hafiz Saeed felt under attack by riots in India. And like I told you earlier, the 92 riots weren't started by the Shiv Sena.
                    Same as above, except in this case, it's a tool used as foreign policy by the Pakistani establishment. The perceptions fed to the Pakistani masses are the same. Evil Indian army and government oppressing Muslims in India, so saviour Jihadis must come to their rescue.
                    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

You cant.

Comment

^^^+1.
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

WAY to big a question to answer intelligently & succinctly in one post. Lemontree has touched on one element, but only one. The truth is that actions like this are nothing new, it is just that we tend to forget that they have been going on for so long. At one level it is pretty much impossible to completely eliminate acts of terrorism. If someone really wants to they can. That simple.

Broadly there are two approaches which must be taken in concert:

1) Military/Police action against specific terrorist groups. If this is done effectively it can reduce the ability of groups to strike;

2) Political action to 'drain the pond' so that the conditions & circumstances that lead people to support terrorism and ultimately to become terrorists are reduced. This course is slower & more difficult, but in the long run it is also necessary.

Thre is a 'third' option, which is the Colonel's 'Mongol' option, which is basically to just kill everybody (or a large slice of everybody). This is popular in theory, but really difficult to do in practice, especially if the people producing terrorists are citizens of your nation.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

It's flamebait. The fucking dimwit is looking for the Jews (substitute Muslims).

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              It's flamebait. The fucking dimwit is looking for the Jews (substitute Muslims).
                              True, but the rest of us can have a worthwhile discussion despite the troll. It is an interesting topic & there are plenty of folk here capable of steering it away from his nationalist revenge fantasies. We possess the intelligence, perspective & sometimes experience to make this a worthwhile topic.

He is taking his first holiday from WAB. I see no evidence that he is capable of learning fast enough to avoid a second & final holiday. The need to post his every thought is going to bring him undone sooner rather than later. In the meantime we can carry on about our business. This too will pass.
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                              X