Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When your heart stops beating, you'll keep tweeting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your heart stops beating, you'll keep tweeting...

New Twitter app lets you tweet even after you die
    2 hr ago |By James Eng

"When your heart stops beating, you'll keep tweeting," the app's tagline says.

You may not have the time or the stamina to do much else after you've left the world of the living, but at least you'll still be able to tweet.

A new app debuting next month promises to give people the ability to continue posting to Twitter even after they've passed away.

The app, called LivesOn, uses algorithms to analyze your main (living) Twitter feed, learning about your tastes, likes and how you express yourself online. Then, after you kick the bucket, it will select topics that it deems you would have been interested in and posts them under your Twitter handle.

People who sign up for LivesOn are asked to name an "executor" who can decide when to turn off the after-life account.

As LivesOn's tagline explains: "When your heart stops beating, you'll keep tweeting."

"It offends some, and delights others. Imagine if people started to see it as a legitimate but small way to live on. Cryogenics costs a fortune; this is free and I'd bet it will work better than a frozen head," Dave Bedwood, creative partner of Lean Mean Fighting Machine, the London-based ad agency developing LivesOn, told The Guardian.

It's not the first social-media tool that allows people to live forever on the social Web.

DeadSocial is a free service that taps into your Facebook, Twitter and Google+ accounts and allows you to schedule messages to post after you die. "DeadSocial will also allow for us to extend our relationships virtually even once our physical bodies fail us," DeadSocial CEO James Norris has said.

If I Die is a Facebook app that enables you to create a video or a text message that will only be published post-mortem. Eran Alfonta, founder & CEO of the app's creator, startup company Willook, said he came up with the idea after his friends were involved in a car accident and had a near-death experience while on vacation in Italy.

Mia Smith, a U.K. business owner in her mid-40s, is among those who have signed up for more information on LivesOn. She told The Guardian the app offers a chance to have a "kind of ironic legacy."

"But I'm not sure who'd be interested in reading a computer-generated 'me'," she told the newspaper. "In the cold light of day, it is a very conceited thing to do."
    New Twitter app lets you tweet even after you die

"Yep...still here."

"Same coffin..."

"The neighbors are quiet."

"I kinda identify the antagonists in "The Walking Dead.""

"Brain..."
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.
Working...
X