Is There A God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There A God?

By my question I mean: Is there an omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent Divine Being overseeing our fate and our existence, together with that of all Creation?
    - (A lot of omni I know, but in the context of the question, the most fitting prefix.)
    In my own case being what I supposed can be characterized as an agnostic, in that I believe that there is some purpose to our existence but being unable to place it in a religious framework. Therefore believing that faith and belief are not always synonymous
    There are many contributors to this board whose insight and intelligence I respect; even while I may disagree with some of them, which is why I have posed a question like this here in this forum.
    Any answers will; in light of the subject, of course have to be based on conjecture and individual belief, but the more the better.
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Originally posted by Amled
    By my question I mean: Is there an omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent Divine Being overseeing our fate and our existence, together with that of all Creation?
    This question is unanswerable. You can't prove the absense of an "omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent Divine Being". You certainly can't prove it either, given that the assertion is completely arbitrary.

So you must do what you do with every other arbitrary thing; to completely dismiss the idea.

An Interesting Question (not really related to my answer): Since God would be omnipotent, would he not have the power to both exist and not exist at the same time? To both be both omnipotent and not?

In my own case being what I supposed can be characterized as an agnostic
    Answer this: Without reason can you find the truth?

in that I believe that there is some purpose to our existence but being unable to place it in a religious framework.
    Why do you connect having a purpose in life with the existance of a god?
    Last edited by Praxus; 16 Jun 05,, 00:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
      This question is unanswerable. You can't prove the absense of an "omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent Divine Being". You certainly can't prove it either, given that the assertion is completely arbitrary.
      So you must do what you do with every other arbitrary thing; to completely dismiss the idea.
      It's not necessary to dismiss an arbitrary thing; you might not be able to prove it by the rules of logic, but by speculating upon it you might come up with an answer that even unproven by the same rigid rules of logic gives you personal satisfaction.

An Interesting Question (not really related to my answer): Since God would be omnipotent, would he not have the power to both exist and not exist at the same time? To both be both omnipotent and not?
      I suppose given the fact that God being omnipotent, the answer would be…yes. But then by not existing would God then be omnipotent?
      This is getting to be like theologians in the Middle Ages learnedly discussing how many angels could dance on the head of a pin!

Answer this: Without reason can you find the truth?
      In the context of your question define: reason.

Why do you connect having a purpose in life with the existance of a god?
      If the All Encompassing Divine Being (Call it God) exists, and has some ulterior plan for all living things, then my speculations has some relevance. If not, then it’s just a matter of living your life to the fullest.
      When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Is there a God?
        No.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
          No.-dale
          Question asked! Question answered! ;)

Comment

Is There a God?
            Yes.

Comment

Is there a God?
              Yes
              Is there an omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent Divine Being overseeing our fate?
              No
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Stupied Question...Your Just trying to start flamming

Comment

Originally posted by EricTheRed
                  I disagree that it's a stupid question.

Comment

Well the local party boss explained to me, at the tender age of 6, that there is no god and that religion is a tool to oppress us and to keep intact a vicious power structure with an elite group reigning over us common people by keeping us stupid and in line while they expoilt our labor with no concern to our well being... wait a ****ing minute... dammit...

But hell I have no problem with people having a belief in one or many almighty beings as long as they keep them inside their house/church/mosque/whatever and don't attempt to use them to justify crimes or force them on other people or try and "save" my communist soul... damn Mormons coming around knocking on my damn door...

I have no problem with religion...

Hell I almost married a Muslim... and I would have had to "find" god... or really do a good job of faking it... ;)
                    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by EricTheRed
                      I disagree too, its something that has troubled the humankind for centuries. Philosophers from all over the globe have written tons of literature resulting in the anxiety caused by the "search of God".

I do not believe in the orthodox religious requirement to serve God (beyond a certain point, that is), I find it hard that it'd be required by someone like, God.

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                        Yes
                        No
                        Can there be one without the other?

Originally Posted by EricTheRed - Stupied Question...Your Just trying to start flamming
                        I beg to differ. If I wanted to start a Flame War i could certainly have found a better question with which to incite it.
                        Here I just; to use Asims' words:
                        ...its something that has troubled the humankind for centuries. Philosophers from all over the globe have written tons of literature resulting in the anxiety caused by the "search of God".
                        found a forum in which to pose it.

Comment

There is a God and He has a fantastic sense of humour.

Comment

It's not necessary to dismiss an arbitrary thing; you might not be able to prove it by the rules of logic, but by speculating upon it you might come up with an answer that even unproven by the same rigid rules of logic gives you personal satisfaction.
                            When one seeks the truth, and there is but one way to find it (human reason), why do you believe pondering an unanswerable question would give you satisfaction, when all you would find is that you do not know?

I suppose given the fact that God being omnipotent, the answer would be…yes. But then by not existing would God then be omnipotent?
                            This is getting to be like theologians in the Middle Ages learnedly discussing how many angels could dance on the head of a pin!
                            This is why it's completly non-sensical to assume there is a God. If you do, then you must reject reality, at least in the context of discussing God. Afterall, if God exists, he is not bound by causality, making it impossible for us to discuss him.

In the context of your question define: reason.
                            The capacity for logical, rational, and analytic thought; intelligence

Comment

I certanly ike to think there isn't. I mean, what would anyone's life be like if you knew that you aren't in control of your own life...
                              Remember, the enemy gate is down- Andrew ¨Ender¨ Wiggin

Comment

Working...
                              X