alternate events in Afganistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternate events in Afganistan

How do you think the war in Afganistan would be going if Ahmad Shah Massoud had not been killed in 2001? Not sure if this had been covered yet so thought I would ask.

He would have been killed in 2002.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by wellman View Post
      How do you think the war in Afganistan would be going if Ahmad Shah Massoud had not been killed in 2001? Not sure if this had been covered yet so thought I would ask.
      Would reliance on one particlar warlord have made that much of a difference?
      Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
      https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

Certainly Karzai has had significant impact on the state of Afghanistan and it's safe to assume Massoud would have had just as great, in fact far greater impact, given his obviously superior intelligence.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Massoud surviving and aligning with NATO might have produced a dramatically different outcome for Karzai's ascendance. Massoud, however, was unlikely ever to generate reconciliation with the Pashtuns. OTOH, it's easily argued that Karzai has largely failed to do the same.

I do believe Massoud to be the more astute warfighter. Compared to Karzai that's not saying much, if also not a disparagement. How Massoud would have thrived in the post-2001/2002 Afghan political milieu would be speculative. I don't believe we can draw effective conclusions going forward from that point based upon his past but he'd hardly be widely perceived as a unifying figure.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Massoud was well educated, moderate in comparison to his peers and came from a military family. I don't think he needed to unify Afghanistan but simply control it. Put him and Karzai, a failure as a 'resistance fighter' together, and I'd point to Massoud every time
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

And the again, he would get killed. Again.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                And the again, he would get killed. Again.
                If it was that easy, Karzai would be long gone.
                Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

IMO Karzai would've still gotten the top job simply by being a Pashtun. It would've been interesting to see how Dostam and Massoud would've duked it out for influence.

Comment

Massoud was definitely a great commander, but I'm not sure if he would've been a good government leader. He was moderate, yes, but an Afghanistan under his control would've enraged many pashtuns.

In the end however, the world would be much better had he lived.

Comment

Just listened on the beeb that A/G troops are now taking over some security , they said its safer now after the FALL OF THE TALIBAN 12 years ago , huh WTF i love the media , :whome:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X