• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.A. Dickey wins 2012 NL Cy Young Award

R.A. Dickey wins 2012 NL Cy Young Award

In other news that don't have to do with rockets and explosions:

R.A. Dickey wins 2012 NL Cy Young Award
    November 14th, 2012 10:47 pm
    R.A. Dickey won the 2012 National League Cy Young Award, the Baseball Writers Association of America announced tonight.

Dickey joins Tom Seaver (1969, 1973, 1975) and Dwight Gooden (1985) among Mets who have now won the award.

“I want to thank the BBWAA for this prestigious award,” Dickey said in a statement. “I owe so much to my teammates for their support during the year, especially Josh Thole and Mike Nickeas, who did such a great job behind the plate all season. I’d like to thank the fans. They stood behind me every time I took the mound. I wouldn’t have won this award without them. To have my name linked to Tom Seaver and Dwight Gooden is quite humbling.”

This season, Dickey became the first Mets pitcher with 20 wins in a season since 1990 (when Frank Viola went 20-12). Dickey joined Tom Seaver (1969, 1971, 1972, 1975), Jerry Koosman (1976), Dwight Gooden (1985), David Cone (1988) and Viola as the only Mets to win at least 20 games in a season.

“All of us here at the Mets congratulate R.A. on winning the Cy Young Award,” Mets COO Jeff Wilpon said. “R.A.’s tremendous accomplishments this season were a thrill for everyone in the organization and our fans. This recognition is a tribute to his hard work and determination.”

Dickey led the National League in strikeouts with 230 strikeouts, 233.2 innings pitched, five complete games and three shutouts. He was second in the National League with 20 wins and a 2.73 ERA, while leading the major leagues with 27 quality starts.

“It was an honor to work with R.A. throughout the year and have a front-row seat to his historic season,” Terry Collins said. “R.A. is a great teammate, fierce competitor and even a better human being. No one deserves this award more than him.”

Dickey is the first knuckleballer in baseball history to win a Cy Young Award.

“This is fitting recognition for a remarkable season,” said Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson. “We are very proud of R.A. and what he achieved in 2012.”

Dickey received 27 of 32 first place votes.
    This is a wonderful part of a wonderful story, honoring the man who during the last season was one of the only reasons to actually watch the Mets during the second half of the season. The second reason for me was Ike Davis, a great young player with loads of future potential.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.
Working...
X