X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache Attack

Imaging + comms of two Apache's attacking Taliban forces

FLIR Screen

Note In aerial warfare, the term 'Winchester' denotes that [specified] munitions are spent
    sigpic

Question: Is the device filming/recording the attack mounted on the Helicopter, or is it footage from a UAV?

Comment

FLIR almost seems like cheating. Kudos to the pilots who made obvious efforts throughout to verify that indeed, they were enemy targets, and armed. Deconfliction with friendlies, and coordination at night between gunships is impressive.

Was any consideration given in Afghanistan to replacing the predominantly anti-armor heavy guns on the Apache to something lighter? Higher volume of fire, greater capacity... 20mm or .50 cal.?

And is the 5" folding-fin rocket dead?

Comment

Almost like cheating?

I had harder time killing enemies in some of my video games as a kid.

Agree to the kudos for being extra cautious.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Almost like cheating = simply being in awe at the technology. I have never been one of those who would claim "That's not fair!" when one side in an armed conflict has a world-class technology at their disposal.

Passive night vision and FLIR or thermal imaging has been somewhat of a monopoly of the well-funded and equipped nations militaries, but like most electronics, it is getting smaller, cheaper, and consumer models are now available over the counter. Our local Cabela's (a sporting goods outlet) has thermal rifle scopes for about $6,000, and Gen I and II night vision for significantly less. Those made in the USA are still prohibited from export, but that's not going to stop them from making their way to where they are needed.
          Last edited by Chogy; 04 Nov 12,, 16:24.

Comment

I won't say HELLFIRE is overkill but it leaves no doubt. You raise a great question about Apache 30mm basic load. I wonder how much basic load of 20mm a AH-1 Cobra brings on station? Women and children were easily identified by their movement, shape and size. It was also clear that once in a tent they became unobservable. Their intentions became immediately unachievable once those Apaches came on station. Points to the determination of the fighters to move into engagement positions against friendlies. They had an alternative in light of our demonstrated lethality.

They chose otherwise...and paid.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgeburner_ View Post
              Question: Is the device filming/recording the attack mounted on the Helicopter, or is it footage from a UAV?
              It is video footage directly linked (and recorded from) the Apache display. A modern take on "gun camera film."

To show how old I am, the first AT-38B's I flew and trained on used 1950's vintage FILM cameras. We'd carry a loaded film cassette out to the jet, install it, and go fly our mission. Afterwards, we'd drop it off at a dedicated photo lab on base, where they'd have it ready to view in about 6 hours. In the Eagle, we used a big video cassette tape, larger than VHS, that recorded HUD, radar, or both in a split screen. I suspect today, they plug a USB dongle or some other sort of memory stick into the jet! One problem is that the devices often become classified after use.

Comment

Bitchin video. I watched twice.

Comment

I hope no animals were hurt in the making of this video :whome:

Comment

Look at all the asses that were killed and all the donkeys that were spared.....

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                      Look at all the asses that were killed and all the donkeys that were spared.....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome. I loved the part were the donkeys kept grazing while the shooting went on. Really cool dudes...

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                          Awesome. I loved the part were the donkeys kept grazing while the shooting went on. Really cool dudes...
                          Ithink they are used to it by now ,, Apache , awesome piece of destruction , all the body parts still showing heat sigs spread all over , and there aint no :scared: place . :pari:

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                            I won't say HELLFIRE is overkill but it leaves no doubt.
                            These are the same Taliban who shoot schoolgirls in the head. No such thing as overkill when engaging them.
                            sigpic

Comment

How far away are the helecoptors when delivering the good news to these fellas?

Comment

Working...
                              X