I am amazed that this is unclassified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am amazed that this is unclassified

Smithsonian - Fast Attacks & Boomers: Submarines in the Cold War Exhibit - Submarine Power & Propulsion

I was totally floored to see this stuff put on display - I can't help but imagine Naval Reactors had to be dragged kicking and screaming into allowing it, even given the disclaimer:

Displaying consoles like these in public, something never before done, has required modifications to protect sensitive classified information about the design and operation of nuclear-powered submarines. Where necessary, scales on instrument faces have been modified, instrument labels altered, or instruments repositioned, and some classified nuclear instrumentation has been removed.
    Anyone visited the exhibit in person?
    "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Hey, I see something that I can use...

Comment

Displaying consoles like these in public, something never before done, has required modifications to protect sensitive classified information about the design and operation of nuclear-powered submarines. Where necessary, scales on instrument faces have been modified, instrument labels altered, or instruments repositioned, and some classified nuclear instrumentation has been removed.
      IOW, this has nothing to do with reality. Just a better looking movie prop, with the wheels in the same place as you see in the Navy commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        IOW, this has nothing to do with reality. Just a better looking movie prop, with the wheels in the same place as you see in the Navy commercials.
        It was instantly recognizable to me as the exact same panels I've been sitting in front of for the last five months. (I can visually pick out a few things that were altered, but at least at a distance the changes look quite minor. When they said overall appearance was preserved they were not kidding.)
        "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
        X