PDA

View Full Version : NCAA College Football 2012

Albany Rifles
08 Oct 12,, 16:24
Been an interesting season so far.

NC State beating the Seminoles the other night was a stunner, The Tide Rolls, the Trojans are relevant in a legal way again, Notre Dame is playing preety good football in pretty ugly uniforms and my beloved Mountaineers are shaking things up and crashing the party in the Big 12.

Don't know how the season is going to go but it ought to be a pretty fun ride!

bonehead
08 Oct 12,, 18:55
So far the season has been entertaining. It has also proven that "on paper" doesn't mean much when on the field. We need to ditch the BCS, er BS system, and have a playoff (min 8 team format). I have had it up to here with biassed polls. It shouldn't matter what a sportswriter "thinks". No computer program can compute heart and determination. What matters is what happens on the field.

bonehead
04 Nov 12,, 23:05
Alabama, Kansas State, N.D. and Oregon now rule the standings..in that order. N.D had a hell of a time putting away Pitt at home so Oregon should move to #3 today. Hopefully beating Oregon state and Stanford will be enough to boats Oregon's SOS and get them into the NC game.

Oregon at USC last night reads more like a basketball score. Some record were broken last night. Oregon has to shore up the defense. Oregon's top offense vs Alabama's top defense is looking to happen. It could be one hell of a game. Would be an interesting play off picture too as any team still undefeated and ranked this high at the end of regular season deserves a shot. Sigh.

bigross86
04 Nov 12,, 23:24
Never really got into college ball, it's hard enough for me to follow MLB and NFL here

bonehead
05 Nov 12,, 00:42
Kind of a shame. you are missing some fine entertainment that often times is better than the NFL.

bigross86
05 Nov 12,, 00:48
I know, but with school it's all I can do to make time for the Giants game every week. Hell, it's near 2:00 AM, it's only the end of the 3rd quarter and I've got class in the morning.

Once a week, I can put aside time for the Giants game, I can live with little sleep for one night. Mets games I just had to watch highlights and read reviews the next day.

bonehead
12 Nov 12,, 05:47
The new BS rankings are out. Oregon will be in the driver's seat as long as they win the next three games. I know Stanford, Oregon State and whomever we play in the conference championship will come out swinging so those will be tough but winnable games. The sec blogs are soaked with all the crying about not having an SEC team on top of the standings. Still 3 weeks of football left and a lot of grudge matches to play so it's not over yet.

S2
12 Nov 12,, 05:53
Fun team to watch. Ethics are questionable but NIKE have spent their money well. I lost my enthusiasm for Oregon after the shabby treatment rendered to Wisconsin guests by their fans in 2001. About 300 seats were taken and security would do nothing about it until halftime despite our complaints well before kickoff. We stood. I'd attended numerous games there before that. Never been back nor shall.

Forelorn but hope Oregon State beats them.

bonehead
12 Nov 12,, 17:51
Sorry to hear about the stolen seats. That never should have happened.

The civil war is shaping up to be a good game this year. The beavers have home field and a good team to defend it. However, if Oregon gets to dictate the tempo, the beavers do not have the firepower or the depth to hang with the ducks. I would prefer a large halftime lead for the ducks but I think OSU will hang tough for a quarter or so. Then, when you see OSU's defense with their hands on their knees and sucking air like they are on top of the Cascades......Its over. Chip has been running up the score as of late to get style points with the human voters and I don't care much for that but I understand the politics behind it. Razor thin margins separate the top 4 teams but only 2 get to go to the big dance. The sooner we get to a play off the better. I am also kind of not liking the conference championship game this year. If Oregon wins the next two games they are clearly the champions. I would rather the next best team from the north play the south for the chance to play in the Rose bowl.

bonehead
18 Nov 12,, 07:21
Sigh. Oregon made too many mistakes and now the world knows why Chip doesn't go for field goals much. Credit to Stanford as they won a good hard fought game. Looks like ND is in the driver's seat and a lot of speculation as to who will join them. Might be a nightmare for the BCS because no matter what happens as far as picking #2, there is going to be a lot of angry teams on the outside looking in.

S2
18 Nov 12,, 07:46
Well...one that can only be angry at themselves would be Ohio State.

Minskaya
18 Nov 12,, 15:38
Just checked. The new BCS (http://www.bcsfootball.org/) rankings haven't been posted yet. My guess...

1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Oregon

Albany Rifles
18 Nov 12,, 17:30
Mounties lost a heartbreaker....

bonehead
09 Dec 12,, 02:49
Well, the bowl match-ups are in.

The NC will be played by the "lucky as hell" Irish and the "overrated" Alabama. The SEC only has a 50% change of continuing the streak. Saban is giddy he does not have to play Oregon but he still has a Kelly pacing the opposite side of the field.

Fiesta bowl....Oregon and KState. Should be called the wildcard bowl. This game could be one for the ages or a sleeper if one gets too far ahead.

Rose bowl..... Stanford and Wisconsin. Wisconsin brought back Alvarez. The man is a legend but he is about to face a meat grinder with Stanford and Wisconsin is not as good as last year when they came up short with Oregon.

Sugar bowl....Florida and Louisville.....Louiville? Florida got lucky with this draw. Florida/Oregon would have brought more interest.

Cotton bowl...Texas A&M vs Oklahoma. This stands to be a slugfest and if Oklahoma holds up this will be a great game.

S2
09 Dec 12,, 03:11
"...he [Alvarez] is about to face a meat grinder with Stanford and Wisconsin is not as good as last year when they came up short with Oregon."

Silly. How did that meatgrinder do against the Huskies? Seven point home winners against a 3-9 Washington State and all of 4 points against Oregon State on the farm. Wisconsin? Five losses this year by a total of 19 points. Three in overtime. To say we're not as good as last year is fair. To imply that we're over-matched. I doubt it.

Nebraska might have been though...:biggrin:

bonehead
09 Dec 12,, 04:19
"...he [Alvarez] is about to face a meat grinder with Stanford and Wisconsin is not as good as last year when they came up short with Oregon."

Silly. How did that meatgrinder do against the Huskies? Seven point home winners against a 3-9 Washington State and all of 4 points against Oregon State on the farm. Wisconsin? Five losses this year by a total of 19 points. Three in overtime. To say we're not as good as last year is fair. To imply that we're over-matched. I doubt it.

Nebraska might have been though...:biggrin:

Hehe. I thought that would get your attention.

I am not alone in my assertion. After the regular season Stanford is ranked #6. Wisconsin is.......?
Stanford also lost a heart breaker vs ND in overtime and did beat the ducks. A lot will hinge on how well Alvarez takes ahold of a team that was not his. Coaches bring in talent that suits their coaching style. Very few coaches can successfully change their coaching style to the current team's talent. Especially with a one and done format.

Minskaya
09 Dec 12,, 09:04
My picks...

NC - Defense wins championships. I'll take the Irish
Rose - Stanford
Cotton - Texas A&M
Sugar - Florida
Fiesta - Oregon
Orange - For the first time ever, the Northern Illinois Huskies are in a BCS bowl. NIU QB Jordan Lynch does it all and led the nation in total yards. As much as I like a good Cinderella story, I'll take Florida State.

S2
09 Dec 12,, 09:18
"I am not alone in my assertion. After the regular season Stanford is ranked #6...Stanford also lost a heart breaker vs ND in overtime..."

Opened by beating the mighty San Jose State Spartans at Stanford by 3. They have their good and bad days. So have we. Alvarez is VERY close to that program and I'd suggest throwing eight passes (none in the 2nd half) against Nebraska is something with which he might be familiar. Stanford is welcome to stay home but we'll be there for the third year in a row...and I suspect ready to play.

Enjoy your Fiesta while you can. When Oregon comes down on probation ol' Chip will be gone to the pros.

bonehead
09 Dec 12,, 19:08
"I am not alone in my assertion. After the regular season Stanford is ranked #6...Stanford also lost a heart breaker vs ND in overtime..."

Opened by beating the mighty San Jose State Spartans at Stanford by 3. They have their good and bad days. So have we. Alvarez is VERY close to that program and I'd suggest throwing eight passes (none in the 2nd half) against Nebraska is something with which he might be familiar. Stanford is welcome to stay home but we'll be there for the third year in a row...and I suspect ready to play.

Enjoy your Fiesta while you can. When Oregon comes down on probation ol' Chip will be gone to the pros.

Heard that one before. The NCAA has been eyeballing the program for about two years now and...nothing. I like to think that Chip is a step above Pete Carroll but we will see if/when anything happens. Personally I don't give much thought to Chip going to the pros. Not that he isn't good enough but I do not see those over payed egomaniacs in the NFL conditioning themselves to Chip's system of play. College players are hungrier.

SonnyCorleone
10 Dec 12,, 19:47
I'm an SEC fan. Went to South Carolina. My opinion may be a little (a lot) biased but I don't think the SEC will lose a single bowl game this year, including Bama over Notre Dame.

In particular, let's look at Notre Dame. They played 4 ranked teams, not counting pre-season #1 SoCal. First game, #10 Michigan State went on to be unranked 6-6 Michigan State the only team that can proudly say they are the most mediocre school in the Big Ten. Next up was #18 Michigan, a 4 loss team that went into the first game thinking they were something and left the season knowing they were nothing when they lost to a penalized Ohio State and didn't even get to their championship game. Stanford at #17 was arguably the best team they played all year but even then the Cardinal showed signs that they weren't all that. A close game to Arizona led to another close game with Notre Dame. They then went on to barely beat Oregon (another overrated team) and barely beat Pittsburgh (a Big East team) and once again BARELY beat UCLA which even though it was in their conference championship is still not considered a PAC-12 powerhouse. That leaves us finally with Oklahoma, who at the time was #8. Their schedule was weak, possibly weaker than Stanford. Their only non-Notre Dame loss was to Kansas State who was destroyed later on by Baylor. Their second toughest game was to Oklahoma State which had to go into OT. Okie State isn't even that good this year. So when you compare the strength of schedule of everyone that Notre Dame beat you start to unravel their own schedule.

Notre Dame is an overrated no loss team like Hawaii was in 2008. You can be undefeated for an entire season if you play enough bad teams and get lucky when it counts. When it comes to SEC football you better have a strong program to back up that luck, otherwise you'll get pummeled. For those that watched the SEC Championship game you saw how luck factored into the last few second of the game where Georgia didn't spike the ball, leading to a Bama victory. This was after 4 intense quarters of two colossus programs rammed heads in a game that could be called without a doubt a clash of titans.

This picture sums it up best:

http://i.imgur.com/tTotb.jpg

bonehead
11 Dec 12,, 18:07
Sure but in the end ND played and won all of those games and they did play some good teams, including Stanford who finished 6th according to the computers. Alabama dropped one at home vs Texas A&M who is now ranked 12th. That is huge. Other than the title game the SEC dodged a bullet. They do not have to play any PAC-12 teams.

SonnyCorleone
11 Dec 12,, 23:54
The PAC is a weak conference. Their top 3 teams have been SoCal, Stanford, and Oregon. Even UCLA isn't considered to be a powerhouse. Every other team in the PAC can be ignored for being fodder.

Notre Dame did beat those teams, yes, but as I said before an undefeated schedule does not make you a good team. Hawaii went undefeated and then got DESTROYED by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Last year Houston was #6 according to the BCS in Week 13 and then lost their first game, going 12-1 in Week 14. They dropped from #6 to #19 because when they evaluated their games they felt that they had such a weak schedule there was little doubt they went that long undefeated.

If you evaluate everyone Notre Dame played vs who Alabama played you'd see who plays better football. Ignoring Michigan, who I've already said collapsed, there were plenty of ranked teams that Bama had to beat. Miss State isn't ranked anymore and that's only because they lost to top 10 teams. It happens. When you have a division full of titans not everyone is going to be able to win. That doesn't make Miss State a bad team, it makes them struggle against those who happen to be extraordinary. LSU was a great game, Bama put a lot of work in to not repeat last year's field goal fiasco. Then they tried to recover as quickly as possible to take on Texas A&M but ultimately failed. T A&M is a top 10 school right now, has the Heisman winner, and is under great Coach Sumlin. Losing to A&M was a legitimate loss. A&M only lost to LSU and Florida who are both top 10 teams and interchangeable. The Georgia game was a lot of skill mixed with a lot of luck. That was an amazing display for football prowess. You can't say Alabama will lose against Notre Dame because they struggled against Georgia. That makes Georgia look weak. You can say that Notre Dame will struggle because they have to face the behemoth that took down Georgia.

Bama, Georgia, LSU, A&M, Florida, SCAR. Take one of those teams against Notre Dame and they'd win.

bonehead
13 Dec 12,, 04:45
The PAC is a weak conference. Their top 3 teams have been SoCal, Stanford, and Oregon. Even UCLA isn't considered to be a powerhouse. Every other team in the PAC can be ignored for being fodder.

Notre Dame did beat those teams, yes, but as I said before an undefeated schedule does not make you a good team. Hawaii went undefeated and then got DESTROYED by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Last year Houston was #6 according to the BCS in Week 13 and then lost their first game, going 12-1 in Week 14. They dropped from #6 to #19 because when they evaluated their games they felt that they had such a weak schedule there was little doubt they went that long undefeated.

If you evaluate everyone Notre Dame played vs who Alabama played you'd see who plays better football. Ignoring Michigan, who I've already said collapsed, there were plenty of ranked teams that Bama had to beat. Miss State isn't ranked anymore and that's only because they lost to top 10 teams. It happens. When you have a division full of titans not everyone is going to be able to win. That doesn't make Miss State a bad team, it makes them struggle against those who happen to be extraordinary. LSU was a great game, Bama put a lot of work in to not repeat last year's field goal fiasco. Then they tried to recover as quickly as possible to take on Texas A&M but ultimately failed. T A&M is a top 10 school right now, has the Heisman winner, and is under great Coach Sumlin. Losing to A&M was a legitimate loss. A&M only lost to LSU and Florida who are both top 10 teams and interchangeable. The Georgia game was a lot of skill mixed with a lot of luck. That was an amazing display for football prowess. You can't say Alabama will lose against Notre Dame because they struggled against Georgia. That makes Georgia look weak. You can say that Notre Dame will struggle because they have to face the behemoth that took down Georgia.

Bama, Georgia, LSU, A&M, Florida, SCAR. Take one of those teams against Notre Dame and they'd win.

Actually the top 3 teams in the PAC 12 are Stanford, Oregon and OREGON STATE. Secondly, Oregon only lost to Stanford in overtime while Alabama was embarrassed by an even lower ranked team. By your reasoning, that would give Oregon and Florida credence to be in the big game instead of Alabama as the teams they lost to are ranked higher than Texas A&M, but preconceived perceptions still persist in the system. You might want to educate yourself a wee bit before making such conclusions.

SonnyCorleone
13 Dec 12,, 19:33
I consider Texas A&M to be better than Stanford. Oregon State might be ranked higher than SoCal but SoCal is overall a much stronger team.

Rankings are biased because it's based off of wins, not strength of schedule. So many good teams aren't ranked because they lost to much better teams. Mississippi State and Vandy are unranked when they are infinitely better than some 15-25 teams. Teams like Boise State (who I think is overrated) is better then #15 Northern Illinois who is now going to a BCS Bowl game. Texas A&M, Florida, LSU, and Georgia are better than any of the other ranked teams under Bama. After them I'd maybe put Notre Dame and then South Carolina. But Oregon and Stanford? They get all their fame because they play crap teams year in and year out and still end up having losses that are ignored.

bonehead
14 Dec 12,, 03:59
I consider Texas A&M to be better than Stanford. Oregon State might be ranked higher than SoCal but SoCal is overall a much stronger team.

Rankings are biased because it's based off of wins, not strength of schedule. So many good teams aren't ranked because they lost to much better teams. Mississippi State and Vandy are unranked when they are infinitely better than some 15-25 teams. Teams like Boise State (who I think is overrated) is better then #15 Northern Illinois who is now going to a BCS Bowl game. Texas A&M, Florida, LSU, and Georgia are better than any of the other ranked teams under Bama. After them I'd maybe put Notre Dame and then South Carolina. But Oregon and Stanford? They get all their fame because they play crap teams year in and year out and still end up having losses that are ignored.

Interesting point of view. Oregon's single loss dropped them behind Alabama and Florida so just maybe the loss IS being counted. Alabama and other SEC teams are well known for having soft NC schedules. To be fair Oregon has traveled to Tennessee and to a "neut" site in Texas to play LSU. So far the SEC has not returned the favor. Now YOU may consider Texas A&M a better team than Stanford but a battery of coaches and computers have a different point of view. Just maybe all that isn't as as biased as your rankings.

How can you rate SC higher than Oregon State? Not only do the Beavers have a better conference record they were in the better half of the conference. The beavers also beat not one, but two teams that beat SC. Again, when all is said and done Oregon State is at #13 and SC is not even in the top 25. Substance over hype. SC will in all likely hood continue being an underachieving team until Kiffin is booted.

bonehead
02 Jan 13,, 02:25
I know how you feel S2.....

S2
02 Jan 13,, 05:57
"I know how you feel S2....."

Tell me because I'm not at all sure right now.

bonehead
02 Jan 13,, 06:56
Last November I was feeling kind of numb. It was a game Oregon could have won but noooooo. Stanford can play up or down to their opponent but they usually get the win.

Minskaya
02 Jan 13,, 07:20
My picks...

Rose - Stanford
Cotton - Texas A&M
Sugar - Florida
Fiesta - Oregon
Orange - For the first time ever, the Northern Illinois Huskies are in a BCS bowl. NIU QB Jordan Lynch does it all and led the nation in total yards. As much as I like a good Cinderella story, I'll take Florida State.

2 for 2 so far :biggrin:

bonehead
03 Jan 13,, 05:41
2 for 2 so far :biggrin:

Nice. I am hoping you are right about the Fiesta bowl too. Right now #3 Florida is stinking up the place so depending on the N.C. game Oregon can finish #2 or #3 when the dust settles. With luck ND wins that handily and we can put this SEC dominance BS behind us so the polls next year will be more realistic. Still pulling for an 8 game playoff though.

Minskaya
05 Jan 13,, 13:55
Nice. I am hoping you are right about the Fiesta bowl too. Right now #3 Florida is stinking up the place so depending on the N.C. game Oregon can finish #2 or #3 when the dust settles. With luck ND wins that handily and we can put this SEC dominance BS behind us so the polls next year will be more realistic. Still pulling for an 8 game playoff though.
Looks like Will Muschamp (Florida) isn't a big time coach yet. The Gators were embarrassed by Big East champ Louisville 33-23

Four out of five so far...

Rose - Stanford
Cotton - Texas A&M
Sugar - Florida
Fiesta - Oregon
Orange - I'll take Florida State

Honorable mention - Northwestern beat Miss St 34-20 in the Gator Bowl. The Wildcats first bowl win since the 1949 Rose Bowl.

With the NCAA nipping at his ass, Oregon coach Chip Kelly is seriously exploring his NFL options.

bonehead
05 Jan 13,, 20:23
Looks like Will Muschamp (Florida) isn't a big time coach yet. The Gators were embarrassed by Big East champ Louisville 33-23

Four out of five so far...

Rose - Stanford
Cotton - Texas A&M
Sugar - Florida
Fiesta - Oregon
Orange - I'll take Florida State

Honorable mention - Northwestern beat Miss St 34-20 in the Gator Bowl. The Wildcats first bowl win since the 1949 Rose Bowl.

With the NCAA nipping at his ass, Oregon coach Chip Kelly is seriously exploring his NFL options.

Four out of five is better than Meatloaf.:biggrin: The best that he had was two out of three.
Let the NCAA nip... Kelly can stand to lose a few pounds here and there. It has taken them over two years and they MIGHT have a ruling this spring. They know what they have would not stand up to scrutiny of a real court. They had more evidence with Cam and Auburn but did nothing. Hell, Lyles wasn't sure of what he did and he is the centerpiece of the investigation. Even so, if he did "work for Oregon" he most certainly worked for other colleges as he is very close to the SEC and big 12 conferences and that has to be scrutinized as well. The NCAA doesn't really want to open up that can of worms. Then there is the fact that the player in question Seastrunk, never played a down for Oregon and left to play for another college so Oregon never derived a benefit from the allegations. There is also the question of Texas using the NCAA as a watch dog in retaliation of Oregon recruiting on Texas home turf. There is a reason the ncaa is moving so slowly. They have nothing as far as real evidence and if they are not careful they will be exposed as frauds. The ncaa is doing the only thing they can do, lay back and let the rumor mills destroy Oregon's recruiting. So far that has not happened.

Chip explored Tampa bay last year and this year a few NFL teams are coming to him. It is only right he should look at the offers when they roll out the red carpet and throw money at him. Under the right circumstances Chip will move on. Whether or not any of the NFL teams are a good fit for Chip remains to be seen. He is not going to jump to the NFl just for the sake of doing so. Make no mistake though. Chip is not jumping to the NFL or another college to escape the NCAA sanctions like Pete Carroll did. One thing is for sure. Everyone but Duck fans desperately want Chip to move to the NFL.

Minskaya
06 Jan 13,, 08:29
Oregon attempted to reconcile with the NCAA in 2012 via a summary disposition. NCAA investigators agreed with Oregon on some disposition points, but disagreed on others. On the disagreed items, Oregon attempted to modify some key phrases in the disposition to mitigate culpability. This dilution was rejected by the NCAA. As it stands now, Oregon will almost certainly be required to appear before the NCAA Committee On Infractions (COI) in the spring of 2013. The possibility of Oregon being stripped of scholarship slots and/or other penalties is very real. Kelly will most likely depart Oregon before the COI hearing and probably wind up in either Philly or Cleveland.

bonehead
06 Jan 13,, 23:44
Oregon attempted to reconcile with the NCAA in 2012 via a summary disposition. NCAA investigators agreed with Oregon on some disposition points, but disagreed on others. On the disagreed items, Oregon attempted to modify some key phrases in the disposition to mitigate culpability. This dilution was rejected by the NCAA. As it stands now, Oregon will almost certainly be required to appear before the NCAA Committee On Infractions (COI) in the spring of 2013. The possibility of Oregon being stripped of scholarship slots and/or other penalties is very real. Kelly will most likely depart Oregon before the COI hearing and probably wind up in either Philly or Cleveland.

We shall see on both counts. The problem with the NCAA is that it is a vindictive good old boy club made up of people who are still loyal to their old college and like nothing better than to stick it to their old rivals. However this matter isn't so black and white.There is a lot of grey area in regards to Oregon's position. The NCAA is also facing a lawsuit from Penn State for overstepping their boundaries, and I suspect that is staying their hand somewhat and will lesson the severity of any penalties aimed at Oregon because if they do go whole hog on the penalties Oregon is bound to appeal and perhaps sue as well. The other problem is that the NCAA needs some major clarifications in the rule book.

It looks like out of 7 NFL teams Chip is down to two but both are already looking elsewhere. The Oregonian has been trying to oust Kelly since he became a head coach and have been doom and gloom about the NCAA. I think many of the paper's sportswriters went on suicide watch when he turned down Tampa bay last year. Because of their antics and unabashed rodent love for Oregon State beavers, Kelly has all but shut out The Oregonian sportswriters and they have proven to be a childish lot. It's a fun circus to watch. So far Chips are mightier than the pen.

bonehead
07 Jan 13,, 06:54
The latest is that Chip will stay with Oregon for a while longer. Now only the cloud of the ncaa remains.

Minskaya
07 Jan 13,, 17:20
THE GAME is tonight. I think this one will come down to who wins the Bama-offense/Irish-defense line war. Both lines are huge, quick, and dominating.

Sabin is the wildcard. He eats/drinks/pisses/shits football 24/7. Nobody prepares/motivates his team to win better than Crimson Nick.

bonehead
08 Jan 13,, 00:25
I am going to hold my nose and root for ND.

Minskaya
08 Jan 13,, 08:18
No doubt whatsoever. The Irish got smoked 42-14. I finish with a 4 and 2 bet sheet. Only so-so.

My congrats to Nick Sabin and the Alabama Crimson Tide

bonehead
08 Jan 13,, 17:22
Once again the B.S. system was exposed for being a fraud. The ND clearly did not belong in the game and they would not have been there if we had a playoff. I lost interests after two highly questionable calls in the first quarter, both calls really took the wind out of ND. 1) the ND receiver catches the ball, puts both feat down then bobbles the ball while going out of bounds...thats a catch, but was ruled incomplete and stalled the drive. 2) Alabama clearly fumbled the ball on the punt but again was bailed out by the refs. ND never was the same after those calls.

8 more months and the fun begins anew.

Albany Rifles
08 Jan 13,, 19:48
Real tweet....says it all.

Minskaya
09 Jan 13,, 09:10
Once again the B.S. system was exposed for being a fraud. The ND clearly did not belong in the game and they would not have been there if we had a playoff. I lost interests after two highly questionable calls in the first quarter, both calls really took the wind out of ND. 1) the ND receiver catches the ball, puts both feat down then bobbles the ball while going out of bounds...thats a catch, but was ruled incomplete and stalled the drive. 2) Alabama clearly fumbled the ball on the punt but again was bailed out by the refs. ND never was the same after those calls.
I did see with the officiating miscalls, but I don't think they determined the outcome. The Crimson Tide operates on a different level than the Irish. I could tell about eight minutes in that ND couldn't handle either the Bama O-line push or the brute force and speed of the Bama running backs. Smash-mouth football that physically pounds an opponent into submission. I agree that ND didn't belong there. They would probably be only the 6th or 7th best team in the SEC.

8 more months and the fun begins anew.
Yup. If you ever want to kick things around, I'm also fairly conversant with the NFL, NBA, MLB, and the Grand Slam tourney's.

bonehead
09 Jan 13,, 17:36
I did see with the officiating miscalls, but I don't think they determined the outcome. The Crimson Tide operates on a different level than the Irish. I could tell about eight minutes in that ND couldn't handle either the Bama O-line push or the brute force and speed of the Bama running backs. Smash-mouth football that physically pounds an opponent into submission. I agree that ND didn't belong there. They would probably be only the 6th or 7th best team in the SEC.

Yup. If you ever want to kick things around, I'm also fairly conversant with the NFL, NBA, MLB, and the Grand Slam tourney's.

The outcome was never in question. However ND players gave up in the first quarter and only went through the motions the rest of the game. That is the difference between the pros' and college. In the NFL you play through such things. A team full of 19-22 year olds haven't learned that lesson yet. If ND played to their potential the whole game they still would have lost but they would have not been embarrassed.

bonehead
12 Jan 13,, 04:50

The NFL is already about over. Perhaps NBA or college hoops?

Minskaya
12 Jan 13,, 10:45
The NFL is already about over. Perhaps NBA or college hoops?
I'm good to go with either