PDA

View Full Version : Clint Eastwood GOP speech

Tronic
01 Sep 12,, 05:30
I was trying to catch the humour but it sounds more of a whine rather than a grilling.

Grumpy ol' Eastwood! :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiHNVYRTKP8

Chogy
01 Sep 12,, 13:44
I thought his speech was a bit awkward, but he's Clint Eastwood! Any Hollywood people "coming out" to conservatism is praiseworthy, IMO. Hollywood makes the Berkeley campus look politically stodgy.

astralis
01 Sep 12,, 15:06
talking to an empty chair-- something that sounds like a clever, not-so-subtle-dig on paper; when actually executed, not so much.

Pedicabby
01 Sep 12,, 23:21
talking to an empty chair

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/rickshaw92/e9bb63ea.jpg

Tronic
02 Sep 12,, 00:43
A better one... :tongue:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3038/eastwoodobamadebate.jpg

Tronic
02 Sep 12,, 01:04
I thought his speech was a bit awkward, but he's Clint Eastwood! Any Hollywood people "coming out" to conservatism is praiseworthy, IMO.

OTOH, judging by how Eastwood single-handedly derailed the Republican campaign off its tracks, it may well have been a well calculated plot straight from liberal Hollywood. ;)

Hollywood makes the Berkeley campus look politically stodgy.

I'm not well versed in American politics. What's the history behind Berkeley campus?

USSWisconsin
02 Sep 12,, 01:52
I think a friend asked him and he was trying to do something he believed was good, and make people laugh. I saw it, I like Clint - it made me laugh, but I don't think it flattered him much.

DOR
02 Sep 12,, 04:30
I'm not well versed in American politics. What's the history behind Berkeley campus?

I graduated from Cal (twice), so I'll have a shot at this.

In early 1964, a group of students who rode with the civil rights Freedom Riders registering black voters in the South (1961-64) set up information tables on campus and solicited donations. They were evicted because the university only permitted political fund raising activities on behalf of the Democratic and Republican parties.

In September 1964, one student is arrested and dozens surround the police car demanding his release. His crime was not showing an ID card to a campus cop. The car stays where it is, with the student inside and thousands of protesters surrounding it, for 32 hours. Campus administration begins targeting student leaders for expulsion. Joan Baez sings, and Alameda County Deputy District Attorney Edwin Meese III – later Ronald Reagan’s infamous Attorney General – starts the mass arrests.

The administration backs down, and about a year later the anti-Vietnam War protests begin with the Vietnam Day Committee education movement. For the next 8-10 years, Berkeley is synonymous with liberal political protest.

Stitch
02 Sep 12,, 05:12
The administration backs down, and about a year later the anti-Vietnam War protests begin with the Vietnam Day Committee education movement. For the next 8-10 years, Berkeley is synonymous with liberal political protest.

And still is . . . . .

Have you been to Cal lately? Still a lot of freaky people there with flowers in their hair. Never graduated from Cal, but I used to hang out on Telegraph every once in a while (Blondie's was THE place to be).

astralis
02 Sep 12,, 07:14
Still a lot of freaky people there with flowers in their hair.

comparatively speaking, not half as much as ten-fifteen years ago. but yes, by any other standard, quite a lot of freaks and geeks walking around.

it's still the one city in america where just walking around can get you a pretty good contact high. great food, too- probably not a coincidence!

DOR
03 Sep 12,, 02:15
Have you been to Cal lately? .

My last visit was May this year, when I gave a commencement speech.
Lots of time to wander around South Side, and frankly it was a bit embarrassing how tame the place has become.

JAD_333
03 Sep 12,, 06:56
The more stogy delegates were angry over the chair bit, especially the subtle Go Fu*k Yourself parts. But if you edit out the crass humor and the stumbling pauses, it would make a pretty good commercial.

Tronic
03 Sep 12,, 23:33
I graduated from Cal (twice), so I'll have a shot at this.

In early 1964, a group of students who rode with the civil rights Freedom Riders registering black voters in the South (1961-64) set up information tables on campus and solicited donations. They were evicted because the university only permitted political fund raising activities on behalf of the Democratic and Republican parties.

In September 1964, one student is arrested and dozens surround the police car demanding his release. His crime was not showing an ID card to a campus cop. The car stays where it is, with the student inside and thousands of protesters surrounding it, for 32 hours. Campus administration begins targeting student leaders for expulsion. Joan Baez sings, and Alameda County Deputy District Attorney Edwin Meese III – later Ronald Reagan’s infamous Attorney General – starts the mass arrests.

That's quite some history. Thanks for the info!

Genosaurer
04 Sep 12,, 01:04
I liked the gesture, and on paper his remarks were pretty good. Delivery wasn't too great, though - I agreed with most of what he was saying, but I couldn't help but think "c'mon, Clint, spit it out" every time he awkwardly paused mid-sentence.

At the end of the day it's just another celebrity endorsement - not really something I feel politics needs more of.

Chogy
04 Sep 12,, 14:14
I think, in retrospect, a scripted, heartfelt delivery from Eastwood would have gone over 1000X better than the impromptu chocolate mess he gave to the nation.