PDA

View Full Version : Olympics 2012

JAD_333
28 Jul 12,, 09:11
This thread is for the positive side of the Olympics and comments on the competition. Got political comments? There's another thread for the downer stuff.

Terrific opening ceremony. Entertaining and superbly managed. Amazing torch lighting. Loved the video of the Queen and James Bond paragliding into the stadium. Hat's off to the Brits. Nice job.

bigross86
28 Jul 12,, 11:01
Rowan Atkinson wins the Opening Ceremony

LiveLeak.com - Rowan Atkinson 2012 Olympics (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f73_1343439895)

Chogy
28 Jul 12,, 13:43
I agree, the opening ceremony was special. I thought the "social progress" theme was very well done. Probably the weakest moment was the "Gosh" health-care thing. But overall it was masterfully done. And the little touches like Mr. Bean and James Bond were endearing.

I suspect everyone there was holding their breath over all those torches in the wind. When the copper leaves were lit, it was something like "meh", that's OK" but when they began to move... brilliant.

Now I know what is going to happen in the days to come. Fatal overdoses of women's gymnastics and the other major sports, while 85% of the olympics is almost ignored.

bigross86
28 Jul 12,, 13:59
Beach Volleyball!!!!! :Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana:

Chogy
28 Jul 12,, 14:22
I married a world-class volleyball player. 6' tall. She was All-American NCAA. Looong legs, and yeah one of those body types. She still fits into her college clothing too. :biggrin:

bigross86
28 Jul 12,, 14:33
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Chogy
28 Jul 12,, 14:45
You're talking 1984, when we used FILM cameras. You know, that light-sensitive funny plastic stuff that requires chemicals to see the picture. ;)

bigross86
28 Jul 12,, 14:56
She still fits into her college clothing too. :biggrin:

You're not getting away with it that easily. You bragged, now prove it :Dancing-Banana:

Chogy
28 Jul 12,, 18:47
PM Sent. ;) Now get your ass back on topic. I'll do it too.

bigross86
28 Jul 12,, 18:49
Hell, I was just teasing. I won't even open the message :biggrin:

JAD_333
28 Jul 12,, 21:01
Rowan Atkinson wins the Opening Ceremony

LiveLeak.com - Rowan Atkinson 2012 Olympics (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f73_1343439895)

"This item has been deleted because of a copyright violation"

Bigfella
29 Jul 12,, 02:33
Although he didn't make the final, Kieran Behan is already the standout story of these games. Medal winners impress me, but it is often the other stories that are truly inspiring. Few people can have fought longer odds to make an Olympic games. There was some controversy over a rule change that limited the larger teams while allowing more athletes from minor nations. If that means Behan gets a spot over the 6th placed US or Chinese gymnast I'll take that.

Saw this kid interviewed today - when the interviewer asked him to say something about his mum he just burst into tears. After reading this I understand why.

LONDON — Before life threw more adversity at him than one person ought to bear, Kieran Behan told his mother that he would be an Olympic gymnast someday.

He was just a boy, maybe 6 years old, when he fell in love with gymnastics, drawn to the thrill of it while watching the Summer Games, enamored by the possibility that he too could defy gravity and flip through the air as if he could fly.

But that was before a series of injuries, two so severe that doctors told him he would never walk again: a botched leg operation that caused nerve damage and a brain injury that kept him from doing even the simplest things, like sitting or eating.

Yet Behan, a 5-foot-4-inch plucky phoenix, pushed on.

“Doctors told me, stop thinking about your crazy dreams because you’ll never walk again and you must accept that it’s over for you,” Behan said. “But I just kept saying: ‘No, no, no — this is not the rest of my life. This is not how it’s going to play out.’ And look at me now, an Olympian. They said it was impossible, but I did it.” ....

“Kieran has gone through so much,” his mother, Bernie Behan, said through tears. “He deserves this.”

Kieran Behan started gymnastics when he was 8, showing a talent for the tumbling. But soon came the first of many obstacles: when he was 10, he found a lump the size of a golf ball on his left leg.

During surgery to remove what turned out to be a benign tumor, doctors kept a tourniquet on him too tight for too long, causing nerve damage that left Behan with limited feeling in his left foot. It also caused such pain that even a slight brush against his leg would cause him to scream. He could not walk, heading to school at one point to the taunts of other youngsters who already had it out for him.

“They’d say, ‘Oh, look at the cripple,’ and that was so hard for me because, already, I was doing gymnastics and I was short, and I was doing a girls’ sport,” he said. “So a lot of times, I would sit at the kitchen window and watch all the kids running around the park and playing football, and I’d get pretty emotional. All I wanted to do was be an ordinary kid again.”

Doctors warned him that the damaged nerves might never regenerate. A psychiatrist told him to prepare him for life in a wheelchair. They were wrong.

Although it took 15 months, Behan did become an ordinary kid again. And he went back to gymnastics.

But about eight months after he returned from his leg injury, disaster hit again. In what he calls a freakish accident, he smacked the back of his head on the metal horizontal bar during a routine and tumbled to the ground in a lump.

The accident caused a traumatic brain injury and severe damage to the vestibular canal of his inner ear, which affected his balance so much that even the slightest movement could cause Behan to black out. And black out he did, hundreds of times, maybe thousands of times, his mother said, as Behan struggled to turn his head, feed himself and walk without stumbling and looking as if he were dead drunk.

Frustrated by his slow progress after two months in the hospital, Bernie Behan went home with her son in her arms because doctors would not discharge him. She quit her job as an aerobics instructor to care for him.

“He kept telling the doctors, ‘I can walk — tell them, Mom, that I can walk,’ and my heart was breaking,” she said. “I’d go to the car park and cry my eyes out, then walk back and say: ‘Yes, Kieran, you can do this. We can do this. I believe you, son.’ ”

Nearly two years after his accident and after unrelenting physical therapy, Kieran Behan — the miracle boy, doctors said — regained his hand-eye coordination and got back onto his feet again.

And back to gymnastics he went. He swept the floors of his gym to finance his training and jumped subway turnstiles to get to practice because there was no cash to spare. His parents held bake sales, candy sales and carwashes to raise money for him.

But, again, there were rough patches. He broke his arm. He fractured his wrist. He visited the hospital so often as a teenager, officials there suspected he was being abused. In 2009, he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, requiring six months of rehabilitation.

Yet he did not quit the sport.

But in 2010, six weeks before his senior debut at the European championships, he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his other knee. After all he had endured, the injury nearly derailed him.

“He made it back from all of those other setbacks, but that one was the hardest for him because the championships were just around the corner, and he was ready,” said Simon Gale, one of his coaches. “He couldn’t handle it. I wouldn’t say he was suicidal, but I’m just glad that his girlfriend was there to watch him at night.”

His mother said she had wondered, “How much more of these injuries can he take?”

Behan, though, did what he innately did best: he picked himself up again. And he returned to gymnastics. He said he could not live without it and never doubted he would be back.

Finally, in 2011, he reaped the benefits of his persistence. He won three World Cup medals, including Ireland’s first World Cup gold medal, in the floor exercise, setting himself up for 2012 — his best year yet.

But Behan, who has a slightly torn rotator cuff and was frightened of further injury, could barely make it through his last practice before heading to the Olympics last week. When he reached the end of it, he laughed. Then, he cried.

“I felt like I was in a fairy tale when I got here,” he said of the London Games. “All I could think about was: ‘Is this a dream? Tell me this really happening.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/sports/olympics/against-odds-kieran-behan-of-ireland-to-compete-in-3-gymnastics-events.html?pagewanted=all

Chogy
29 Jul 12,, 02:58
Hell, I was just teasing. I won't even open the message :biggrin:

Go ahead! She's the real deal. Still plays at a high level and coaches too. I'm proud of her. And she's a veteran. She tried out for the Olympics in 1984, but it was a bit of a scam in that the coaches had already picked the team, yet they had to (by rules) offer tryouts.

I take back what I said about TV coverage. I watched some air rifle, which was surprisingly cool, and fencing. They are showing more of the obscure sports, which I really like.

xinhui
29 Jul 12,, 04:18
Was working so I missed the opening, I am sure can "find" it somewhere in the net.

S2
29 Jul 12,, 06:10
Pete,

Astounding story of perseverance! Truly heroic and Kieran is representing far more than simply Ireland.

Bigfella
29 Jul 12,, 06:25
Pete,

Astounding story of perseverance! Truly heroic and Kieran is representing far more than simply Ireland.

Incredible kid. Incredible mum. Just goes to show that you don't need to make the daius to be a winner.

JAD_333
29 Jul 12,, 08:19
A real shocker is Michael Phelps' failure so far to place in any of the swimming events. There's still a chance he'll pick up a medal or two, but it seems age has caught up to him. At least we have a dominant swimmer to take his place. Ryan Lochte was awesome in winning Gold in the 400-meter individual medley.

JAD_333
29 Jul 12,, 08:22
Incredible kid. Incredible mum. Just goes to show that you don't need to make the daius to be a winner.

My heart went out to him when he fell twice during the floor gymnastics. Game kid.

S2
05 Aug 12,, 23:21
Destroyed a world class field by .12. Jamaica took gold and silver with U.S. Bronze. Gay finished fourth to his U.S. partner, Gatlin. Astounding performanc by Bolt and, frankly, the entire field (a lame Powell excepted) finishing under 10.0.

Bigfella
06 Aug 12,, 01:18
incredible race. Bolt is just scary & I think we've seen the next great sprinter on the podium next to him. Glad I got up to watch it.

Double Edge
06 Aug 12,, 01:55
frankly, the entire field (a lame Powell excepted) finishing under 10.0.
Expected this given earlier performances at the heats & semis. About Powell, he cramped out. It makes me think about the wisdom of holding finals a mere two hours after the semi's. Couldn't the IOC have given them at least a full day longer to recover ?

What the semis help put to rest was all the hype that had come out over how Bolt was either out of shape or finished. Maurice Greene had made some pretty strong statements to Reuters about this based on Bolt's record at recent meets earlier. Blake's going to win blah blah.

The amazing thing about Bolt is how ordinary he makes his opponents appear. A very commanding performance being head & shoulders above the rest. The likes of which you would be lucky to see once in a lifetime.

Right at Beijing this was apparent when he broke the WR and actually slowed down towards the finish. What a tease. Even in this race he was looking at the clock instead of the finish line. We still ain't seen Bolt go full out yet. If he manages to break his WR and go sub 9.5s his record will stand for a long time. That really is the only thing he has left to do and then he can retire on a high. Blake ain't going to be able to touch it.

American domination in this event is done for the time being.

To think Ben Johnson in Seoul back in '88 did 9.79 which Gatlin reproduced was only good enough for a bronze today.

Gay lost by 0.01s (!)

Bigfella
06 Aug 12,, 03:36
Apparently the first four would have taken gold at any games prior to Beijing. Impressive!

Double Edge
06 Aug 12,, 11:40
No mention of the blade runner, Oscar Pistorius.

Never thought i would ever see a double amputee qualify for the olympics let alone get into the semi's :)

Doktor
06 Aug 12,, 14:18
Apparently the first four would have taken gold at any games prior to Beijing. Impressive!

If we exclude Bolt in Beijing, right?

Bigfella
06 Aug 12,, 14:28
If we exclude Bolt in Beijing, right?

That was what was meant by 'prior to Beijing' doc. Also the first time 7 runners in a final ran under 10 secs. Would have been all 8 if Powell hadn't cramped.

The only down note was that a drug cheat got a medal. Only a minor quibble.

On the other hand, good night for the Dutch. In addition to having a runner in the final (OK, he was second last, but he was the only guy not from the Americas) a Dutch judo champion smacked some fool upside the head when he threw a bottle onto the track.

LONDON—The fate of a Dutch judoka who pushed a man after he chucked a green bottle on the 100 metre track Sunday night is still up in the air, but 2012 bronze medallist Edith Bosch has a powerful ally in her corner.

“I’m not suggesting vigilantism but it was actually poetic justice that they did happen to be sitting next to a judo player,” said Sebastian Coe, chair of the London organizing committee. Coe said the man’s behaviour was “unacceptable.”

A spokesperson for the host country added they were “still trying to work out” exactly what happened, rather than just go by a tweet.

Police arrested a man in Olympic Park in connection to the incident.

On her twitter feed, Bosch posted: “Een dronken gast voor mij gooit een flesje op de baan!! IK HEB HEM GESLAGEN ... Ongelofelijk!!” or ““A drunken spectator threw a bottle onto the track! I HAVE BEATEN HIM ... unbelievable.”

The 32-year-old, who is a former world champion, reportedly later told a Dutch television station: “I had seen the man walking around earlier and said to people around me that he was a peculiar bloke.

Then he threw that bottle and in my emotion I hit him on the back with the flat of my hand.”

Bosch said the most upsetting thing was that in all the commotion she missed the final, which was easily won by Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt.

Bolt later told reporters he only heard about the incident after the race.

The American bronze medallist, Justin Gatlin, said it was “a little distraction.”

The Netherlands’ Bosch took bronze medal in the women’s -70 kg on Aug 1.

Poetic justice? 100-metre bottle thrower seated next to enraged Olympic judoka - thestar.com (http://www.thestar.com/sports/london2012/article/1237674--olympic-officials-arrest-bottle-thrower-at-men-s-100-metres)

Doktor
06 Aug 12,, 15:04
BF,

I misread your previous mail.

Good on the Dutch girl, both for the kick and for the medal she won :)

On the opening ceremony, while it was different, and interesting to watch, I missed many things like Royal Navy :red:, music from Police and Depeche Mode, poor choice on Sex Pistols... Many British actors were not even mentioned, many cult movies, etc, etc...

Big yay for the torch.

Albany Rifles
06 Aug 12,, 16:01
I have been lucky and on vacation for over a week. I got to watch a lot of the sports we don't normally see here in the Eastern Time Zone.....lots of swimming, volleyball, water polo, crew, weight lifting and tennis. All perfect events to sit on the coach and drink beer and watch.

Great job on the opening ceremonies...I did notice in the color party (I guess it should be colour party) it was the RAF guy who was out of step!

JAD_333
06 Aug 12,, 18:16
No mention of the blade runner, Oscar Pistorius.

Never thought i would ever see a double amputee qualify for the olympics let alone get into the semi's :)

He ran well in his qualifying heat and even seemed to let up a bit when he realized he would be in the top 3 finishers. Came off the blocks very fast, and from knees up looked like a normal runner. Alas, he came in last in the finals of 400M --2 seconds off the top time. He runs in the 400 relay Thursday.

antimony
07 Aug 12,, 00:32
He ran well in his qualifying heat and even seemed to let up a bit when he realized he would be in the top 3 finishers. Came off the blocks very fast, and from knees up looked like a normal runner. Alas, he came in last in the finals of 400M --2 seconds off the top time. He runs in the 400 relay Thursday.

I first thought of this as unfair to the other runners. After watching him run (unsuccessfully) in the finals I no longer have that opinion. It does not matter what (if any) advantage those prosthetics gave him, just competing at this level with other able bodied athletes is a supreme achievement.

JAD_333
07 Aug 12,, 02:16
I first thought of this as unfair to the other runners. After watching him run (unsuccessfully) in the finals I no longer have that opinion. It does not matter what (if any) advantage those prosthetics gave him, just competing at this level with other able bodied athletes is a supreme achievement.

I wondered about that too, but when you think about it, the human foot has gripping power in the toes and what one could call shock absorbers in the feet. It's true that curved composite materials can have a huge spring action, but ultimately the kinetic energy to compress the springs would have to come from body weight propelled by thigh and buttock muscles. I'd say he has a bit of disadvantage in that respect. The only advantage I can see is that he doesn't have lower leg muscles and feet to get tired or sprained.

bigross86
07 Aug 12,, 10:25
I think that just based on his performance we can see that it doesn't give him an advantage. He's good enough to beat some folks, not good enough to beat the rest. I think the classiest part of that race was when the winner asked to switch name tags with him. Serious props to the guy for making it this far.

Double Edge
07 Aug 12,, 12:22
I think the classiest part of that race was when the winner asked to switch name tags with him.
Yep, i noticed that :)

Doktor
07 Aug 12,, 18:21
BTW, What happened to the Aussies?

JAD_333
08 Aug 12,, 01:52
The men's 200 meter semifinal is going to be interesting. All 3 US runners and all 3 Jamaicans qualified.

http://www.london2012.com/athletics/event/men-200m/phase=atm002200/index.html

Track & field is what the Olympics is all about. Did the ancient Greeks play ping pong and tennis?:rolleyes:

Albany Rifles
08 Aug 12,, 02:00
The men's 200 meter semifinal is going to be interesting. All 3 US runners and all 3 Jamaicans qualified.

http://www.london2012.com/athletics/event/men-200m/phase=atm002200/index.html

Track & field is what the Olympics is all about. Did the ancient Greeks play ping pong and tennis?:rolleyes:

Gee thanks.....nice you having me thinking of naked men's beach
Volleyball....makes me think of Top Gun.

JAD_333
08 Aug 12,, 04:24
Gee thanks.....nice you having me thinking of naked men's beach
Volleyball....makes me think of Top Gun.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that. Did you wonder why the Saudi's don't have a women's beach volley ball team? Wasn't too long ago we tossed women in jail for showing too much skin. Chicago 1922. :eek:. That cop had his hands full. :biggrin:

YellowFever
09 Aug 12,, 18:56
OK, JAD is gonna kill me for messing up his thread but I just had to do it. :biggrin:

What happens if some very imaginative person were to add a head to the London Olympic Logo?

Bigfella
13 Aug 12,, 14:40
BTW, What happened to the Aussies?

We started badly in what is usually our dominant event - swimming & then came home wiht a wet sail....literally, with a bunch of gold from sailing. We only ended up a few gold short of what was expected, but there were a LOT of people (esp swimmers) who didn't perform anywhere near what they should have been able to do. We actually ended up with something like 35 medals, but only 7 gold. That means we got 10th on the tally. Finishing behind Hungary, just ahead of Kazakhstan (who only got 13, but 6 gold) and not nearly far enough ahead of New Zealand has left a lot of questions.

The big shock was the swimming. To give you some perspective, We have won just shy of 500 medals in all olympics. Of those about 1 in 3 are from swimming. To come away with a single gold isn't acceptable. Especially when we had swimmers who could usually have swum times that would have seen them win gold or get a better result than they did. The men's 4X100 team acted like they already had the gold, then their lead swimmer blew it & they got 4th. He blew his chance at redemption by losing his individual race - where he was favourite. The guys at the top of the Olympic Committee here are bust blaming everyone from schools to the government - which means that they know we underperformed.

In some ways we are victims of our own high expectations, but given the vast sums of money we throw at this stuff I'm expecting a few heads to roll. That said, most of our athletes did wonderfully well, so the dissappointment is mixed wiht pride too.

zraver
13 Aug 12,, 14:49
We started badly in what is usually our dominant event - swimming & then came home wiht a wet sail....literally, with a bunch of gold from sailing.

So failing at things like swimming, you've turned to piracy?

Bigfella
13 Aug 12,, 14:49
My favourite moment of the 200 games was when the 4 members of the East Timorese team walked into the stadium under the Olympic flag. Months earlier their fledgling nation had gained its independence amid bloodshed & violence. The team performed in donated gear & couldn't carry their flag because they weren't IOC members yet. Given the historic ties between Australia & East Timor & our role in their independence struggle it was no surprise that they recieved the biggest cheer when they enetered the stadium.

Guor Marial is another such story. Just read some of this stuff. Kidnapped & almost killed multiple times, war survivor, had to fight just to get the chance to compete, hasn't seen his parents for 20 years. What a story. I think the bit that touched me was his parents walking 50kms to the nearest TV set just to see him run. Impossible to imagine what something like this must mean to his fledgling nation. Anothr great olympic story.

Shortly after he had run around Buckingham Palace, headed down The Mall and pushed toward the finish line of the Olympic marathon, Guor Marial blew a kiss to a group of women who were madly cheering for him.

He was more than 11 minutes behind the leaders and finishing in 47th place, but for Mr. Marial and the women, he had triumphed.

As a stateless athlete who lost 28 family members in the Sudanese civil war and nearly died after being kidnapped twice, Mr. Marial had much to celebrate.

Technically, he was running under the banner of the International Olympic Committee at the Games, but everyone knew who he was really representing: South Sudan, a country created last year after splitting from Sudan.

“I made it through all the support of the people of South Sudan,” Mr. Marial said after finishing the race in two hours, 19 minutes and 32 seconds. “For sure they were proud of me and I am proud of them. They never disappoint me. Finishing, that was more important, and I finished. That was what I was hoping for.”

Amid all the hype of “living legends” like Usain Bolt, superstars such as Michael Phelps, and multimillionaires like LeBron James, Mr. Marial’s story stood out at the Olympics and demonstrated that the Games can have an impact beyond sports.

Mr. Marial grew up in Unity province in south Sudan, an area ravaged by civil war. His family twice tried to send him to safer parts of the country, and he was kidnapped both times and barely escaped. In 2001, he made it to a refugee camp in Egypt with an uncle and ended up in New Hampshire as a refugee. He began running in high school in Concord, N.H., and landed an athletic scholarship to Iowa State University. He now lives in Flagstaff, Ariz., where he trains for marathons and works at a home for the mentally disabled.

He had run the Olympic standard for the marathon twice, but appeared to have no opportunity to compete in London. He had no country. He wasn’t a citizen of the United States or South Sudan.

At first, the IOC and Sudan, ruled by a leader indicted for war crimes, wanted him to run for Sudan at the London Games. Mr. Marial refused. How could he run for a government that killed many members of his family? After some intense lobbying by U.S. and South Sudan officials, the IOC relented and entered him as an independent athlete competing under the Olympic banner.

“It is important to bring the name of South Sudan here and raise awareness of the issue going on in South Sudan,” Mr. Marial said on Sunday. “I just wanted to compete as an athlete because the love of the country is very important for me. I was not able to get them a medal ... but I felt like the world was watching.”

That included the roughly 20 women from the South Sudan’s Women’s Association who lined the course near the finish line waving South Sudan flags. “It was great,” Mr. Marial said of his race and the reception he has received since arriving in London a few days ago (he missed the opening ceremony). “To be able to show the South Sudan people something, that’s what mattered.”

He hasn’t seen his parents since 1993, although he talks to them often by phone. They walked about 50 kilometres to the nearest place that had a television to see him run.

His race on Sunday was “about the war,” he said. About “South Sudan and the refugees.” He wanted to talk some more, but a volunteer quietly led him away. “He needs to rest,” the volunteer said.

Guor Marial makes statement in Olympic marathon - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/guor-marial-makes-statement-in-olympic-marathon/article4477386/)

Bigfella
13 Aug 12,, 14:59
So failing at things like swimming, you've turned to piracy?

Yeah, we figured that we weren't getting it done in the water, so we'd better get on top of it instead. Ironically we would have won onother sailing gold but for the fact that one of our sailors took an unexpected swim when the boat caught a wave. Definatley not a great games for our 'in the water' brigade.

Albany Rifles
13 Aug 12,, 19:32
All said and done, well done London!

It was a great games.

You set a high standard for Rio to meet.

Double Edge
13 Aug 12,, 21:38
I liked the men & women's 4 x100 track & field relay.

Two WR's set.

The US women broke the former east german record set in 1981 (!)

Jamaicans broke their earlier record and for ONCE Bolt dipped at the finish line as he should without any showboating.