PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Racism Begins

bigross86
27 Jul 12,, 14:39
The opening ceremony hasn't even taken place, but the Arab nations have already waved their racism and waved it proud:

Lebanese Olympic judo team refuses to practice next to Israelis (http://www.timesofisrael.com/lebanese-olympic-judo-team-refuses-to-practice-next-to-israelis/?fb_comment_id=fbc_10151125591855987_24871867_1015 1125608885987#ff14c52b8)

Lebanese Olympic judo team refuses to practice next to Israelis

Hosts accept coach’s demand, and separate the teams with makeshift barrier

By AARON KALMAN July 27, 2012, 3:15 pm

The Lebanese judo team at the 2012 London Olympics refused to practice next to the Israeli one on Friday afternoon, and a makeshift barrier was erected to split their gym into two halves.

According to several Hebrew sports sites, the two teams were scheduled to use the same gym and mats at London’s new ExCeL center for their final preparations. However, the delegation from Lebanon would not train in view of the Israeli team, and insisted some sort of barrier be placed between them.

Organizers accepted the Lebanese coach’s demand to separate the teams, erecting a barrier so that the Lebanese team wouldn’t see the Israeli one.

The incident was the first political one between Israel and other countries during the 2012 Games, which don’t formally get under way until Friday evening’s opening ceremony. It happened only days after the Iranian delegation head stated his nation’s athletes would compete with Israelis, a statement which was quickly rejected by Tehran, which tried to suggest that his true sentiment was lost in translation.

The disgusting part is that this behavior is accepted and condoned by the organizers. I assure you that if someone had refused to train in sight of black, Muslim or openly gay athletes, they would have been told to shove their complaints where the sun don't shine. What would be the outcry if the roles were reversed and Israelis refused to train in sight of Arab athletes? Why the double standard, I wonder?

Officer of Engineers
27 Jul 12,, 14:52
Do you two better.

65 countries boycotted the 1980 Olympics. 17 countries boycotted the 1984 Olympics. All were invited back.

tankie
27 Jul 12,, 15:29
Sickening isnt it .But here's my prediction , coloured people will win more medals than whites , now there's a thing huh , white is a colour , i cant fail at the bookies ;)

bigross86
27 Jul 12,, 16:52
Do you two better.

65 countries boycotted the 1980 Olympics. 17 countries boycotted the 1984 Olympics. All were invited back.

Colonel, the 1980 Olympics were boycotted over the war in Afghanistan and the 1984 Olympics were boycotted over the 1980 Olympics. That's politics, and that's fine, every single country has the right to determine if they wish to show up or not. From 1964-1992 South Africa was banned from the games due to their racist policies. One could assume from this that racism was not to be accepted at the Olympics, and yet we see this not to be true.

There is a world of difference between boycotting games based on political reasons, and between showing up to international games and proceeding to display racism. The Lebanese team knew there is a chance they would have to interact with Israeli athletes and decided to show up anyway.

tankie
27 Jul 12,, 17:57
London 2012 Olympics: Saudi athlete banned from wearing her headscarf during judo - Olympic News - Olympics - Evening Standard (http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/olympic-news/london-2012-olympics-saudi-athlete-banned-from-wearing-her-headscarf-during-judo-7981701.html)

:slap:

antimony
27 Jul 12,, 18:03
Colonel, the 1980 Olympics were boycotted over the war in Afghanistan and the 1984 Olympics were boycotted over the 1980 Olympics. That's politics, and that's fine, every single country has the right to determine if they wish to show up or not. From 1964-1992 South Africa was banned from the games due to their racist policies. One could assume from this that racism was not to be accepted at the Olympics, and yet we see this not to be true.

There is a world of difference between boycotting games based on political reasons, and between showing up to international games and proceeding to display racism. The Lebanese team knew there is a chance they would have to interact with Israeli athletes and decided to show up anyway.
this
Well I guess that The Arabs are doing this for Palestine, so there is a political aspect to it. But I agree with Ben, it is shameful that the hosts are condoing this. Olympics are about games, politics needs to be checked out at the door. don't like it, don't come.

omon
27 Jul 12,, 18:15
i wonder what happens if they actually have to compete with Israeli athletes.

yes i agree it is fvcked up, but not nearly as fvcked up as actually cater to this demand. but I'm not surprised, to be honest, the entire country caters to Muslims, numerous examples were posted on this board.

but technically there is no racism, you guys both of the same race, it is just hate of Israel, that they were raised with.

Double Edge
27 Jul 12,, 18:41
i wonder what happens if they actually have to compete with Israeli athletes.
Israel win by default :biggrin:

Gun Grape
27 Jul 12,, 18:44
I don't see racism here at all. Unless its that of the author of this article.

Two judo teams assigned to the same gym to practice at the same time. two teams that may compete against each other.

If I was a coach, I would also ask for a barrier so the other team could not watch the practice. No need giving the other team a view of the strengths and weaknesses of our athletes.

antimony
27 Jul 12,, 19:16
London 2012 Olympics: Saudi athlete banned from wearing her headscarf during judo - Olympic News - Olympics - Evening Standard (http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/olympic-news/london-2012-olympics-saudi-athlete-banned-from-wearing-her-headscarf-during-judo-7981701.html)

Wow, above 78 kg and training for only two years, and now an Olympian!!!

Can I participate too? I nearly meet at least one of the criteria (guess which one)

Edit: Although, thinking a bit more about this, I would be inclined to allow this on a case to case basis. It was a struggle getting Saudi women to participate and if after this there is a general greater participation among women from the muslim countries, that's actually a good outcome.

YellowFever
27 Jul 12,, 19:46
I don't see racism here at all. Unless its that of the author of this article.

Two judo teams assigned to the same gym to practice at the same time. two teams that may compete against each other.

If I was a coach, I would also ask for a barrier so the other team could not watch the practice. No need giving the other team a view of the strengths and weaknesses of our athletes.

I disagree.

This is not the first time Olympians trained in the same gym with their opponents or other athletes.

Why an issue now?

Were there athletes from other countries nearby?

And I'm sure these two groups weren't the only ones that had to share the same mat.....why is only this team complaining?

Bigfella
28 Jul 12,, 04:55
If this is racism (and the evidence so far is circumstantial) then the IOC should jump on the Lebanese team like a ton of bricks. To be fair, the IOC has already warned teams about athletes faking injuries to avoid competing with nations they don't like - a clear reference to anti-Israel sentiment - and will actually be independently testing injuries in such circumstances.

On the Saudi woman, it seems ridiculous that the IOC would work so hard to get women from strict Islamic societies to compete & then impose rules that mean they can't. FIFA has finally dropped its headscarf ban & apparently judo tournaments have gone ahead elsewhere with women wearing them, so this seems unnecessary. Hopefully sanity will prevail.

Wow, above 78 kg and training for only two years, and now an Olympian!!!

Can I participate too? I nearly meet at least one of the criteria (guess which one)

Edit: Although, thinking a bit more about this, I would be inclined to allow this on a case to case basis. It was a struggle getting Saudi women to participate and if after this there is a general greater participation among women from the muslim countries, that's actually a good outcome.

I would point out that there is a long history of unqualified or poorly qualifies athletes getting olympic spots because their nation wanted to send somebody. 'Eddie the Eagle' wasn't in the top 50 in the world when he first went to the olympics:

Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_%22The_Eagle%22_Edwards)

While 'Eric the Eel' really has no place in an Olympic games on ability alone:

Eric Moussambani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moussambani)

There have been others....probably too many to mention.

In subsequent Olympic Games, international media occasionally referred to Moussambani's potential successors — athletes who might record spectacularly poor times. Prior to the 2008 Summer Olympics, media in several countries—including Australia, Denmark, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom—suggested that Stany Kempompo Ngangola, a swimmer from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, would be the Olympics' next "Eric the Eel".[10][11][12][13][14]

The media also described ni-Vanuatu sprinter Elis Lapenmal and Palestinian swimmer Hamza Abdu as "potential successors to Moussambani".[15] During the Games, Cook Islands swimmer Petero Okotai compared himself to "Eric the Eel" upon recording a disappointing time in his event.[16] During the 2009 IAAF World Championships various media around the world, including La Nación and the Daily Telegraph, described American Samoan sprinter Savannah Sanitoa as "the new Eric "the Eel" Moussambani".

'Eric the Eel' has achieved a sort of cult status, as did 'Eddie the Eagle'. There is something about ordinary people just having a go which is inspiring - Moussambani has had a tremendous impact in his home nation & has probably inspired kids who would never have thought about swimming to take it up.

London 2012 Olympics: how Eric 'the Eel' Moussambani inspired a generation in swimming pool at Sydney Games - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/swimming/9432830/London-2012-Olympics-how-Eric-the-Eel-Moussambani-inspired-a-generation-in-swimming-pool-at-Sydney-Games.html)

For me the highlight of the 2000 Sydney games by a wide margin was Victor Ramos & the East Timor team entering the stadium to a standing ovation. I still remember one of the athletes doing backflips out of sheer joy. So new was the nation that it wasn't even in the IOC & had to march under the Olympic flag. None of those athletes achieved much on the field, but their presence was about more than that.

Summer Olympics 2000 East Timor's tiny team gets warm welcome (http://assets.espn.go.com/oly/summer00/news/2000/1018/825268.html)

As you mentioned in your edit, the inclusion of Saudi women has a value beyond their individual abilities - there will be girls & young women in the muslim world who see her & others compete and are inspired. In an era when the Games is increasingly a slick & souless commercial enterprise it is a reminder that they can still inspire & provide an example of what we might aspire to.

lemontree
31 Jul 12,, 08:57
The Lebanese not wanting to practise along with the Israelis is politics not racism.
Even the Iranian teams have declared that they will not compete against Israeli atheletes.

However, if the Israeli's win due to this boycott, they will be the ones who will laugh last and longest.

tankie
31 Jul 12,, 15:55
WTF is wrong with people , racism / hatred / B/S ,why not compete against the persons they hate ,,,,AND BEAT THEM :cool:

YellowFever
31 Jul 12,, 17:29
WTF is wrong with people , racism / hatred / B/S ,why not compete against the persons they hate ,,,,AND BEAT THEM :cool:

Because to some idiots, symbolism is much more important than actual results. :cool:

tankie
31 Jul 12,, 18:55
Because to some idiots, symbolism is much more important than actual results. :cool:

True , heads up arses rings a bell :mad:

Shout out to brothaboy Damien Hooper who has been shot down for wearing a shirt with the #Aboriginal flag on it before his fight. If he wore the #Australian flag he wouldnt have faced any of this controversy but because he wore the Aboriginal flag he has breached Rule 50 of the Olympic Code which bans demonstrations, or political, religious or racial propoganda on any Olympic sites. WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT!! This was an act of Pride - not propoganda! My hope is that one day we will be respectfully acknowledged as the First Nations people of this country and therefore properly represented in all that this country is involved in .

antimony
31 Jul 12,, 20:07
but technically there is no racism, you guys both of the same race, it is just hate of Israel, that they were raised with.

SSHHHHH,
no one tell them that, let's not introduce facts into an otherwise enjoyable conflict...