PDA

View Full Version : The 13th President of India - Pranab Mukherjee

antimony
24 Jul 12,, 22:11
Excerpt:

Pranab Mukherjee was elected the 13th President of India after he defeated P. A. Sangma in a contest that ended on expected lines. The veteran leader rode on the massive support from across the political spectrum to register an emphatic victory.

From being number two in the ruling coalition, Mukherjee is on his way to becoming the first citizen.

A very very sharp cookie and a Gandhi family loyalist, he has held several Cabinet level posts throughout a long career. Most recently he was a disappointing Finance Minister dealing with a disappointing economic scenario.

While acknowledging that he has one of the sharper minds in Indian politics I have long held him as a Gandhi family rubber stamp, but my dad disagrees.

We will see how he lives and performs in a role which has recently been relegated to being a constitutional rubber stamp. He has a very good relationship with the Bangladeshi PM, so I hope we mend any existing kinks with our eastern neighbour.

Also, as a Bengali myself, can't help feeling a bit of pride for the first Bengali President of India :)

Blademaster
25 Jul 12,, 04:17
I don't trust any Gandhi loyalist.

antimony
25 Jul 12,, 04:33
I don't trust any Gandhi loyalist.

:)

As with everything in life, I am more open minded. The role of the President is one which is difficult to screw up, but with potential of doing good. Lets see...

Double Edge
25 Jul 12,, 17:30
I think its fair play to Mr. Pranob Mokhorjee :biggrin:

The man ought to have been PM but no, the Gandhis thought he was too good for that.

He's been part of the official furniture since the country became a republic and always struck me as very competent.

Defnitely an improvement over Banaras sari's.

As for dealing with the Bangla's, the problem is Mamata, though of late it seems she has relented a bit. Did she get bought or have political equations changed.

The clock is ticking, unless the currently ruling Begum can show some returns for dealing with India, the other Begum will take over and we will be back in the dark ages again.

antimony
25 Jul 12,, 22:14
I think its fair play to Mr. Pranob Mokhorjee :biggrin:

The man ought to have been PM but no, the Gandhis thought he was too good for that.

He's been part of the official furniture since the country became a republic and always struck me as very competent.

Defnitely an improvement over Banaras sari's.

As for dealing with the Bangla's, the problem is Mamata, though of late it seems she has relented a bit. Did she get bought or have political equations changed.

The clock is ticking, unless the currently ruling Begum can show some returns for dealing with India, the other Begum will take over and we will be back in the dark ages again.

Which other Begum? Please don't say Mayawati:eek::insane::bang:

Unfortunately for India, we really do not have much of an alternative till BJP gets its act together.

Double Edge
25 Jul 12,, 22:56
Hasina and her counterpart.

Not followed Bangla politics of late, how is she doing. Otherwise any progress we've made to date could be reversed.

BJP is lost in the wilderness, they aren't ready for elections yet.

Its Congress to lose in 2014 despite all the so called scandals.

lemontree
30 Jul 12,, 11:42
Pranab Mukherjee could have been the next PM, but he had to make way for a village idiot called Rahul Gandhi.

Off Topic, but the alternate to Congress can be a coalition headed by NCP. But then Sharad Pawar's level of corruptuion is a bit nauseating.