Ben/Bigross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben/Bigross

Ben, dig out your families gas masks and stock up on plastic sheeting for them. Either that or fly them somewhere for an extended visit. With Syria now threatening the use of CW's I am sure your nation is on or going to be on alert just like 1990 all over again.

"Any chemical or bacterial weapons will never be used ... during the crisis in Syria regardless of the developments," Makdissi said. "These weapons are stored and secured by Syrian military forces and under its direct supervision and will never be used unless Syria faces external aggression."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8610SH20120723

Hold on, in the event Syria uses chemical weapons (considered WMDs?) against Israel, wouldn't that be just cause for an equivalent or possibly nuclear retaliation?
    "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
      Hold on, in the event Syria uses chemical weapons (considered WMDs?) against Israel, wouldn't that be just cause for an equivalent or possibly nuclear retaliation?
      Bingo, its a Syrian attempt at a Sword of Damocles.

Comment

I have a hard time understanding how they can believe in flaunting this crap consequence-free...unless they really are that stupid. Really hoping this is a poorly timed and executed chest pounding, I know people that live in that region.
        "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
          I have a hard time understanding how they can believe in flaunting this crap consequence-free...unless they really are that stupid. Really hoping this is a poorly timed and executed chest pounding, I know people that live in that region.
          Sadam tried the same thing but shied away from the use of CW on Israel because he wanted to remain in power and the use of CW would mean a nuclear response. However Assad knows if the West sends troops, he's going down so he has nothing to lose and everything to gain by making the threat. He is betting that the threat of a gas attack in Tel Aviv leading to a nuclear strike on Damascus with hundreds of thousands dead and a global economic collapse will deter leaders in Paris, London, Brussels and D.C. from deciding to do a Lybia redux on him.

Comment

What worries me is not Assad. He's crazy, but not stupid. He may bluster, but I doubt he will actually launch. What does worry me is Syria transferring these kinds of weapons to Hezbollah.
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
              Ben, dig out your families gas masks and stock up on plastic sheeting for them. Either that or fly them somewhere for an extended visit. With Syria now threatening the use of CW's I am sure your nation is on or going to be on alert just like 1990 all over again.

"Any chemical or bacterial weapons will never be used ... during the crisis in Syria regardless of the developments," Makdissi said. "These weapons are stored and secured by Syrian military forces and under its direct supervision and will never be used unless Syria faces external aggression."

Syria says could use chemical arms against foreigners | Reuters
              However Assad knows if the West sends troops, he's going down so he has nothing to lose and everything to gain by making the threat. He is betting that the threat of a gas attack in Tel Aviv leading to a nuclear strike on Damascus with hundreds of thousands dead and a global economic collapse will deter leaders in Paris, London, Brussels and D.C. from deciding to do a Lybia redux on him.
              This is a stretch Z. it may indicate a degree of desperation that the regime is talking about chem weapons openly, but this looks like a warning to NATO & anyone else who is looking to intervene, not a threat to attack Israel. Assad knows that if he attacks Israel then the comfy retirement in (insert nation) is off. He will spend the rest of his short life hiding in holes. he is desperate, not suicidal. Same for the guys in the chain of command. These are bad men, not crazy ones.

I wouldn't necessarily assume nukes in response - depends on the specifics. What is certain is that the IDF, NATO & perhaps one or two others besides would be 'in' and quickly. Far from detering intervention, it will make it inevitable. China & Russia will either be mute or just ignored.

BR is right - the big danger here is that the Assad regime will give the weapons to the wrong people or simply lose control of them to the wrong people.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
              X