Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United Airlines Staff Kicked Disabled Vet's Service Dog, Asked If He Was 'Retarded'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Airlines Staff Kicked Disabled Vet's Service Dog, Asked If He Was 'Retarded'

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Jim Stanek, Disabled Veteran Says United Airlines Staff Kicked His Service Dog, Asked If He Was 'Retarded' (VIDEO)

Jim Stanek, a disabled veteran and Paws and Stripes cofounder, claims United Airlines staff physically abused his service dog, Sarge, and verbally abused him during an unexpected three-day layover at Dulles International Airport outside of Washington, D.C.

In a video posted to YouTube detailing the abuses, Stanek says the "nightmare" began on July 15, while he was at the ticket desk.

"Some United Airlines employees were moving by and one of them was startled, turned, and kicked my service dog," Stanek says in the video. "Didn't kick her hard, but ... they kicked her."

Stanek continues, saying he chalked it up to an accident and let it go -- even when it happened a second time by a different United staffer.

The Daily Mail reports Stanek has post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as well as traumatic brain injury (TBI) following three tours in Iraq, which makes standing in loud crowds and reading difficult. In the video, Stanek states the most traumatic part of the ordeal occurred when, while trying to get a hotel voucher after his flight was canceled for a second day in a row, the man at the ticket counter asked if he was "retarded" -- referring to his inability to stand in the line with everyone else, and read the paperwork.

"I completely lost all composure at that point," he said in the video. "I started yelling, I used four letter words ... and I've worked very hard not to be like that."

According to the blog Reduced Mobility Right, the U.S. Department of Transportation has opened an investigation into the incident, with the cooperation of the airline.

"We are reaching out to the customer directly to discuss the events that he described," a spokesperson for United told Reduced Mobility Rights on July 21.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

DOT INVESTIGATING DISABLED VETERAN ALLEGATIONS AGAINST UNITED AIRLINES

Published on Sunday, 22 July 2012 08:19
    Written by Roberto Castiglioni
    The US Department of Transportation has opened an investigation into disabled veteran Jim Stanek allegations of abuse and animal cruelty against United Airlines.

This is a developing story. Updated July 22, 18.06 BST

Lindsey Stanek, CEO and Co-Founder of Paws and Stripes issued a statement on Sunday, saying that she received confirmation that the DoT is conducting an investigation into Jim Stanek complaint against United Airlines.

Jim Stanek, who suffers from chronic severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injury, travelled with his service dog Sarge to a fundraiser in Knoxville, TN. On July 15, he started his journey back to Rio Rancho, NM.

His United Airlines flight home connected in Dulles DC, one of United main hubs. At Dulles, Stanek was left with little to no help for three days. The disabled veteran also alleges his service dog Sarge was kicked twice by United employees. A United customer service rep allegedly called Stanek "retarded".

He finally obtained to be rebooked on a different airline and reached home on July 17.

"We are reaching out to the customer directly to discuss the events that he described," a spokesperson for United Airlines told Reduced Mobility Rights on July 21.

"United Airlines has contacted us, asking what happened and informing us that they have 30 days to look into it," Lindsey Stanek confirmed on Sunday.

Jim and Sarge are said to be recovering from their ordeal. "Jim is trying to bounce back, but the trip has made a noticeable effect on him," Lindsey Stanek said. "Sarge has been taken off duty to rest, and she is still very jumpy."

Jim Stanek notified the airline he would require assistance during his journey. "As I had booked Jim's flight through cheaptickets, Jim made sure that the airline was aware of his needs every step of the way while traveling," Lindsey Stanek told Reduced Mobility Rights.

During his ordeal, Stanek frequently asked check in, and customer service staff to talk to the Complaint Resolution Official. He was then told that there were no CRO's he could speak with, just a supervisor.

Under the law protecting the rights of disabled passengers in the United States (CFR14 Part 382), airlines must have a CRO on duty at all times at each airport served.

The airline employees must promptly notify the passenger of the right to call a CRO and then contact a CRO on the passenger's behalf or provide the passenger a way to do so.

Reduced Mobility Rights repeatedly asked United Airlines to confirm or deny Mr Stanek's account. United declined to comment "out of respect for Mr Stanek and our co-workers."

DISABLED VETERAN JIM STANEK ACCUSES UNITED AIRLINES OF ABUSE

About the author

Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Reduced Mobility Rights, Roberto Castiglioni has deep knowledge of PRM regulations and handling procedures, along with first-hand experience as travelling companion and carer of a passenger with reduced mobility.

Roberto is a member of ESAAG. Chaired by the Hon. David Blunkett MP, the Easyjet Special Assistance Advisory Group, ESAAG, provides easyjet with strategic guidance and practical advice on the evolving needs of passengers requiring special assistance.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Disgusting. And people wonder why if I don't absolutely have to, no way in hell am I flying anymore.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Fucked up, but does D.C. recognize PSD's, I don't think they do. PSD's are not automatically federally protected service dogs and it sucks balls.

Comment

Even if they don't recognize PSD, the vet also has a TBI

Comment

But how would they know that?

Comment

He mentions in the video that he told them that he had a TBI

Comment

Let the story develop. The number of passengers who are complete and utter assholes is amazingly large. 99.9% of the abuse flows from passengers towards flight attendants and gate agents.

I'm not saying this guy acted like a jerk. I don't know, it's possible. Just having a disability and a service animal doesn't make one patient, and pleasant.

Want more service at airports, more agents, more customer reps, food, fewer lines? Reward airlines who do a good job with continued business, even if their ticket is 80 cents more than the cheapest that can be found online at "ultra-dirt-cheap-super-low-tickets.com" Consumers get what they pay for, and they have stated loud and clear, "We want it cheap. As cheap as possible."

Comment

Working...
                X