PDA

View Full Version : Terorist attack in Bulgaria

Dante
18 Jul 12,, 19:07
The attack just occurred, it's in all the media:

http://www.foxcrawl.com/2012/07/18/black-sea-terror-israeli-tourists-deadly-attack-at-bulgarian-airport-of-burgas/

Israelis killed in Bulgaria terror attack, minister says - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/18/world/europe/bulgaria-israel-blast/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

Seven dead and up to 30 injured reported so far.

gunfire was reported before the explosion which, it seems was triggered by a suicide bomber...

Rest in Peace for the all the victims

omon
18 Jul 12,, 19:29
what gunfire???

Dante
18 Jul 12,, 19:52
The media here reported gunfire before the explosion, I don't know how accurate this is.
a link in English Six dead in attack on Israelis in Bulgaria, Iran blamed - Yahoo! News Singapore (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/signs-lead-iran-israel-bulgaria-blast-170659268.html)

kato
18 Jul 12,, 22:19
The official current version is that a bomb was packed with the luggage, which exploded.

The only one who blames Iran is Netanyahu - immediately after the explosion. Both Israeli and Bulgarian security agencies anticipated an attack of this type and gravity months ago already though, with Israel suspecting that Hisb'allah might start a campaign abroad.

Double Edge
18 Jul 12,, 22:31
The official current version is that a bomb was packed with the luggage, which exploded.
I find this more plausible than a suicide bomber.

Doktor
18 Jul 12,, 23:01
The Bulgarian Vice PM said there is high possibility the bomb was planted in the luggage section of the bus.

The Bulgarian media also report that the flight was from Tel Aviv, was carried by Bulgarian company "Air Via", had 154 passenger of which 8 kids.

One of the dead is not Israeli citizen and that is the driver of the bus. He is Bulgarian and his name is Mustafa.

They also report that the airport is closed for the next 24h.

---

Further, they are analyzing what next. What is odd to me, noone mentions a single guess why Bulgaria.

bigross86
18 Jul 12,, 23:42
Simply, because many Israeli go to Burgas and it is a highly attractive vacation spot that is in high demand. There were three busloads of Israelis, and first reports were that the injured and killed were teenagers and young adults that went as part of a group. This comes 2 days after a Lebanese man was arrested in Cyprus on charges that he was planning a terror attack against Israeli tourists there.

Israel has done a very good job of locking down terrorists and terrorist attacks in Israeli borders, which leads to two things: First of all, the terrorists choose to cower behind their human shields and launch rockets indiscriminately at the civilian populace since they are no longer able to attack innocents in person, and second of all, this leads to a shift in targeting to outside Israel's borders where security protecting Israelis is much less than what it would be in Israel, meaning it is easier to target Israelis.

The scum who perpetrated this attack, and I'm leaning heavily towards both Iran and Hezbollah, need to be eradicated from the face of this earth, and the sooner the better. Attempts against Israelis that were linked to Iran were recently uncovered all over the globe and it stands to reason that (a) Israel would not be able to uncover each attack in time, and that (b) due to (a), an attack against Israelis not within Israel's borders would eventually succeed.

In the meantime, I'm gonna sit here and hold my breath waiting for UN condemnation of the attack. It may come tomorrow (Thursday), at the request of Bulgaria's foreign minister, Nikolay Mladenov. Heaven forbid that the UN would condemn the attack by themselves. After all, it only happened 10:30 AM EST, and everyone knows that the UN is closed during those hours.

Officer of Engineers
19 Jul 12,, 05:03
God Bless.

lemontree
19 Jul 12,, 05:56
What do these idiots gain by killing tourists?...senseless.

JAD_333
19 Jul 12,, 05:57
Just terrible. Innocent vacationers. RIP.

bigross86
19 Jul 12,, 09:00
What do these idiots gain by killing tourists?...senseless.

Before they were tourists they were Israelis, and that gives all the justification for their murders. Bulgarian authorities have video of a man that was seen scouting the area for approximately an hour before the blast, and was found with a fake US passport on his person, and are fairly certain this man was the suicide bomber. Earlier reports of a luggage bomb were apparently false.

Bigfella
19 Jul 12,, 09:37
terrible news. My thoughts are wiht the families. I'd like to think the perpetrators will be prosecuted, but I'm not that optimistic.

Tronic
19 Jul 12,, 10:42
My condolences to the affected families. Pray they find the strength to overcome such a great loss.

Doktor
19 Jul 12,, 10:45
Before they were tourists they were Israelis, and that gives all the justification for their murders. Bulgarian authorities have video of a man that was seen scouting the area for approximately an hour before the blast, and was found with a fake US passport on his person, and are fairly certain this man was the suicide bomber. Earlier reports of a luggage bomb were apparently false.

The Bulgarian airport security to me seems to be sloppy on this one. They found the man with fake ID's, but never detained him. Now they seek info on who was the man.

Even more they say: "We never got warnings from Israel or elsewhere, so it was impossible to stop this" :frown:

I am curious what exactly will Netanyahu do, even if it proves it was Iran behind this.

Interesting analysis from Haaretz: Netanyahu wants to turn the Israeli intelligence failure over Bulgaria into an excuse to strike Iran - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper (http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/netanyahu-wants-to-turn-the-israeli-intelligence-failure-over-bulgaria-into-an-excuse-to-strike-iran.premium-1.452076)

Tronic
19 Jul 12,, 10:52
Seems like it was indeed a suicide bomber. The man with 'fake ids' that the Bulgarians came across was the one.

Not that's some security....

'Bulgaria attack work of suicide bomber ... JPost - International (http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=278077)

bigross86
19 Jul 12,, 12:50
The Bulgarian airport security to me seems to be sloppy on this one. They found the man with fake ID's, but never detained him. Now they seek info on who was the man.

Even more they say: "We never got warnings from Israel or elsewhere, so it was impossible to stop this" :frown:

I am curious what exactly will Netanyahu do, even if it proves it was Iran behind this.

Interesting analysis from Haaretz: Netanyahu wants to turn the Israeli intelligence failure over Bulgaria into an excuse to strike Iran - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper (http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/netanyahu-wants-to-turn-the-israeli-intelligence-failure-over-bulgaria-into-an-excuse-to-strike-iran.premium-1.452076)

Dok, they found the fake ID on the dude after he had blown himself up. They're assuming he was the bomber because of the fake ID and they say his body was the most damaged, meaning he had to have been closest to the bomb

Doktor
19 Jul 12,, 13:14
Ben,

The way I understood it from BG media it seemed that he was caught then released with fake docs. Maybe I took it all wrong.

Anyway, here is a great story (http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/158023#.UAaF5GEe6I0), reminds of the guy who survived both Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Beit She'an Attack Survivor Spared Again in Bulgaria
Ten years after he was injured in a terror attack in Beit She'an, Gadi Sivoni was again spared from death in Bulgaria.

Officer of Engineers
19 Jul 12,, 14:56

Interesting analysis from Haaretz: Netanyahu wants to turn the Israeli intelligence failure over Bulgaria into an excuse to strike Iran - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper (http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/netanyahu-wants-to-turn-the-israeli-intelligence-failure-over-bulgaria-into-an-excuse-to-strike-iran.premium-1.452076)I really don't want to get into this since the victims are still bleeding but for the past 2 years, Iran has been the subject of covert and overt Israeli and American operations. Now, I don't know if this is their response but it would be extremely naive not to expect them to respond.

bigross86
19 Jul 12,, 17:09
Bulgarian press names bomber: Mehdi Ghezali (http://www.timesofisrael.com/bulgarian-press-names-suicide-bomber-who-killed-israelis-as-mehdi-ghezali/)

Terrorist said to have been a Swedish citizen with a history of Muslim extremist activitiesJuly 19, 2012, 6:11 pm

Bulgarian media on Thursday named the suicide bomber who blew up a bus full of Israeli tourists, killing five Israelis and a local bus driver, in the Black Sea resort of Burgas on Wednesday as Mehdi Ghezali.

There was no independent confirmation of the veracity of the information. The reports surfaced soon after Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had publicly accused Hezbollah, directed by Iran, of responsibility for the bombing. The Prime Minister’s Office made no comment on the reports.

The Bulgarian reports, rapidly picked up by Hebrew media, posited various versions of how the bomber had detonated the bomb, including the suggestion that the bomber had not intended to die in the blast, but may have wanted to place the bomb on the bus and flee.

Ghezali was reportedly a Swedish citizen, with Algerian and Finnish origins. He had been held at the US’s Guantanamo Bay detainment camp on Cuba from 2002 to 2004, having previously studied at a Muslim religious school and mosque in Britain, and traveled to Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. He was released to Swedish custody in 2004, and the Swedish government did not press charges. He was also reportedly among 12 foreigners captured trying to cross into Afghanistan in 2009.

Earlier on Thursday the Bulgarian police released a brief video clip that claimed to show the suicide bomber, responsible for Wednesday’s terror attack on a tour bus full of Israeli citizens, walking around shortly before the blast at Burgas International Airport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37c-RncXG8

The Bulgarian news agency Sofia reported that the bomber was carrying an American passport and Michigan driver’s license, both believed to be forgeries.

Sofia also reported that the Bulgarian Interior Ministry managed to recover the fingerprints of the bomber, which they submitted to the FBI in the United States and the international police organization Interpol. The FBI and CIA joined Israeli and Bulgarian officials in investigating the attack.

Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov told Sofia that DNA tests were being run to determine the identity of the Caucasian man, who the minister described as casually dressed with nothing suspicious about his appearance to set him apart from the crowd of people at the airport.

The ministry did not indicate how the police came to the conclusion that the man was the suicide bomber.

JAD_333
19 Jul 12,, 19:05
I really don't want to get into this since the victims are still bleeding but for the past 2 years, Iran has been the subject of covert and overt Israeli and American operations. Now, I don't know if this is their response but it would be extremely naive not to expect them to respond.

Good point, except one would expect Iran to confine their targets to people in the technical or diplomatic field. If Iran is behind this cold boded murder of tourists, they sure picked a bad time to do it, given the sanctions and talks. It's plausible that this is the work of a group that stands to gain by stirring up hostilities between Israel & Iran. Who?

kato
19 Jul 12,, 19:25
Could be simply AQ trying something again. It's just a bit too reminiscent of the 2002 AQIM attack on Djerba.

Mihais
19 Jul 12,, 19:31
Abu Musab al Suri is once again free since there is ''democracy '' and a ''fight for freedom'' in Syria.For those unfamiliar,this gentleman is the man that set a new doctrine,based on networked jihad and individual,as opposed to organisation based, initiatives.

kato
19 Jul 12,, 22:51
What new doctrine? There's nothing unusual about AQ's doctrine.

Carlos Marighella formally proposed cells of maximum four men operating in individual, independent action, networked by an overlay organization that provides only coordination and strategic planning without a fixed command hierarchy (note that this in particular is what sets it apart from other cell-based structures). And he did that when al Suri was still a kid.

AQ's doctrine is patterned straight after the urban guerilla prototype described by Marighella in the 60s. Al Suri technically went back a bit further and draws on Mao a bit too, in that he sees the above non-hierarchical cell structure as merely a phase preparing the road to open warfare. Probably because he needed to fill the other 1500 pages of his treatise somehow...

Doktor
19 Jul 12,, 23:20
Minimanual of the Urban Guerrilla (http://www.marxists.org/archive/marighella-carlos/1969/06/minimanual-urban-guerrilla/index.htm) ^^^^

Deltacamelately
21 Jul 12,, 08:18
Rest in Peace.
The people backing these attacks need to die and die real fast.