PDA

View Full Version : Team USA's Opening and Closing Ceremony uniforms were made in China

gunnut
12 Jul 12,, 21:58
Team USA's Opening and Closing Ceremony uniforms were made in China
1 hour ago by SteveDel

On Tuesday, the US Olympic Committee officially unveiled the threads Team USA will be wearing during the Opening and Closing Ceremony Parade at the London Olympics this summer. As usual, the uniforms have drawn mixed reviews. Similar to the way people felt at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, some are saying they reek of military propaganda while others appreciate the nostalgic feel of the navy blazers, white pants and berets. Those are simply opinions, but the fact of the matter is the uniforms are made in China.

While they were designed in America by the famous Ralph Lauren himself, the US athletes will be covered in head to toe with garments and accessories that are labeled “Made in China.” Like many others, US fashion designer Nanette Lepore said she is shocked that the uniform manufacturing was outsourced.

“Why shouldn’t we have pride not only in the American athletes, but in the American manufacturers and laborers who are the backbone of our country?” Lepore asked according to ABC News. “Why? What’s wrong? Why was that not a consideration?”

In fact, Lepore says US manufacturers could have made the uniforms much cheaper. The men’s uniforms cost close to $2,000 each while the women’s are nearly $1,500, with the men’s blazers and shirts making up nearly $1,000 of that price and the women’s blazers and skirts doing the same. When ABC News reached out to the US Olympic committee for comment, they gave a very generic answer.

“The U.S. Olympic team is privately funded and we’re grateful for the support of our sponsors. We’re proud of our partnership with Ralph Lauren, an iconic American company.”

The US is not the first country to be upset with their Olympic uniforms (see Great Britain’s uniforms here). Americans are simply displeased for a different reason.

Photo credit: Ralph Lauren/AP Photo

Team USA's Opening and Closing Ceremony uniforms were made in China - Yardbarker (http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/team_usas_opening_and_closing_ceremony_uniforms_we re_made_in_china/11206375)

I have no problem with that.

Hu Jintao flies around the world in a Boeing.

Parihaka
12 Jul 12,, 23:36
Hu Jintao flies around the world in a Boeing.
Yep.

gunnut
13 Jul 12,, 02:20
You guys read the comments? They're hilarious.:tongue:

These people don't seem to understand that big money is in designing stuff rather than put stuff together. I'd rather have Americans design clothing and electronics for other countries to manufacture, than to have Americans manufacture these cheap trinkets.

S2
13 Jul 12,, 02:22
His chinese alternative for air travel escapes me. Perhaps one of you can help me out there?

S2
13 Jul 12,, 02:37
"I'd rather have Americans design clothing and electronics for other countries to manufacture, than to have Americans manufacture these cheap trinkets."

That's fine so long as patent and copyright protection exists. It does-but only in some countries and then at an exorbinant cost in legal fees to pursue. My company's fishing blanks are entirely American-made and designed. Our rods, sadly, aren't. The U.S. has completely out-sourced the manufacturing of rod-guides. Everything else about our rods is designed and produced in America, primarily at our plant.

The designs from my company have been lifted world-wide but...mainly Asia. The complexity of trade issues overwhelm our legislators. Start discussing it and their eyes glaze. Having said all that, I don't advocate "Buy American". I DO advocate "Buy Best".

Parihaka
13 Jul 12,, 03:52
I DO advocate "Buy Best".

It shifts around all the time too. Once upon a time nobody did better electronics or cars than Japan. Now for cars it's a close tie between the Europeans and the Koreans, and for electronics US-China. US because they radically redesigned virtually every useful electronic device I can think of, China because they put it all together. Of course if you want tasty animals we've always been the best. I'm willing to bet your complete fishing rods are indeed the best because passion is the primary driver of quality.

Doktor
13 Jul 12,, 06:54
His chinese alternative for air travel escapes me. Perhaps one of you can help me out there?

:wors:

Anyway, do RL or Nike have factories or suppliers in USA?

Bigfella
13 Jul 12,, 07:32
It shifts around all the time too. Once upon a time nobody did better electronics or cars than Japan. Now for cars it's a close tie between the Europeans and the Koreans, and for electronics US-China. US because they radically redesigned virtually every useful electronic device I can think of, China because they put it all together. Of course if you want tasty animals we've always been the best. I'm willing to bet your complete fishing rods are indeed the best because passion is the primary driver of quality.

We have nice iron ore...and uranium. Fortunately these will never run out & current record high prices will continue forever, so our future is assured.

Parihaka
13 Jul 12,, 07:40
We have nice iron ore...and uranium. Fortunately these will never run out & current record high prices will continue forever, so our future is assured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpj2oVJhYjM

Bigfella
13 Jul 12,, 08:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpj2oVJhYjM

New Zea Land! New Zea Land! New Zea Land!

JAD_333
13 Jul 12,, 09:11
Well, maybe this one time, they should have had the togs made in the USA just for form's sake.

Very stylish outfit. The berets look a touch French or like a throwback to the the Lincoln Brigade.

What the hell, the game's the thing.

Doktor
14 Jul 12,, 23:01
Made in America: The short list - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/13/living/made-in-america/index.html)

Accessories:
- Arne Mason: leather carrying cases
- Blackbox Case: wooden laptop cases
- Makr Carry Goods: bags, stools, wallets, belts
- NATIVE(X): totes, scarves, jewelry, mugs
- Pierrepont Hicks: ties, bowties
- Randolph Engineering: glasses, sunglasses
- Summit Creek Dry Goods: wallets, key chains, belts
- Estex Mfg. Co.: Tool sheaths, aprons, buckets, holsters
Bags:
- Duluth Pack
- GORUCK
- J.W. Hulme
- Maptote
- Mountain Ridge Gear
Clothes:
- All American Clothing
- American Apparel
- Beverly Hills Basics
- Pendleton
- Pointer Brand
- Taylor Stitch
- Todd Shelton
- UNIS
Footwear:
- Capps Shoe Company
- Rancourt and Company
- Red Wing Heritage line
Headwear:
- Bollman Hat Company
- Stormy Kromer
- Walz Caps
- BUZZLINE
Random:
- Litespeed Bicycles
- K'NEX: Children's toys
- Geneva Manufacturing: Modular garage organizing gear
- Purrfectplay: Pet toys
- Simplicity Vacuums
- Steelman Cycles
- Braun Corporation: Manufacturer of wheelchair lifts and ramps, transit vehicles

I can't see Levi's on the list. :confused:

Parihaka
14 Jul 12,, 23:21
America is still the largest manufacturer in the world is it not?

S2
14 Jul 12,, 23:29
"I can't see Levi's on the list.:confused:"

Should you? My Levis are like the opening ceremony at the Olympics- Egypt, Pakistan, U.A.E., Colombia, Mexico. Size? Don't count on a fit without first trying them on. Now I buy Wrangler at one-half the price.

Doktor
14 Jul 12,, 23:37
Wrangler and Lee are also not on the list.

Now, don't tell me Zippo and Ford Mustang are made outside USA.

Damn Coke started it.

Doktor
14 Jul 12,, 23:41
America is still the largest manufacturer in the world is it not?

Of what? SW, pills(?) and weapons?

Parihaka
15 Jul 12,, 00:04
Of what? SW, pills(?) and weapons?

U.S. still No. 1 manufacturing country despite cutbacks at factories | Dallas-Fort Worth Business News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20110130-u.s.-still-no.-1-manufacturing-country-despite-cutbacks-at-factories.ece)

What has happened is the US has far fewer manufacturing jobs as automation has taken over while China has increased its production by keeping wages low. What is the more sustainable policy?

Doktor
15 Jul 12,, 00:17
Then why no robots making Levi's, Wrangler, Lee, and oh, Olympic uniforms?

I knew that USA produces more then China, just we don't see most of those products.

Few weeks ago our supplier from Italy sent us bath sponges from cellulose labeled "Made in USA". Before they were Made in Italy.
Transporting sponges from USA to Macedonia via Italy... I wondered the manufacturing cost. Landed cost here, including custom duties and VAT is 0,55 eur.

Parihaka
15 Jul 12,, 00:42
Then why no robots making Levi's, Wrangler, Lee, and oh, Olympic uniforms?

I knew that USA produces more then China, just we don't see most of those products.

Few weeks ago our supplier from Italy sent us bath sponges from cellulose labeled "Made in USA". Before they were Made in Italy.
Transporting sponges from USA to Macedonia via Italy... I wondered the manufacturing cost. Landed cost here, including custom duties and VAT is 0,55 eur.
Effectively you are asking why doesn't the US make everything in the world?

Doktor
15 Jul 12,, 00:46
Haha, no.

They never did. But it is kinda confusing they stopped producing some of their iconic items in USA.

JAD_333
15 Jul 12,, 17:28
Now I buy Wrangler at one-half the price.

Ditto. Although work-s-day Levis hold up longer, they don't last twice as long at twice the price. I burn through a lot of Wranglers working construction.

gunnut
17 Jul 12,, 00:00
Wrangler and Lee are also not on the list.

Now, don't tell me Zippo and Ford Mustang are made outside USA.

Damn Coke started it.

My Zippo is made in the USA.

Ford Mustang may not be completely made in the USA as parts could come from Ford's plants in Canada and Mexico.

Doktor
17 Jul 12,, 00:50
In a weird kind of way, I am glad we never made anything iconic.

gunnut
24 Jul 12,, 20:17
Jul 13, 2012 4:48pm

Senate Democrats Introducing ‘Team USA Made in America Act of 2012′

After outrage on Capitol Hill yesterday when an ABC World News report revealed that the U.S. Olympic team’s opening ceremony outfits are made in China, members of Congress are trying to put some laws on the books to make sure this never happens again.

In the Senate next week a group of six Democratic senators will introduce legislation that would require the U.S. Olympic Committee to outfit the U.S. Olympic team in clothes made in America for all future Olympic games.

Senators Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), Frank R. Lautenberg (D-N.J.), Bob Casey (D-Pa.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) today announced they will introduce the “Team USA Made In America Act of 2012″ next week in Congress.

The legislation would require the USOC to “adopt a procurement policy that requires ceremonial uniforms the USOC purchases or commissions be sewn or assembled in the United States.”

Team USA will be marching into the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony wearing Ralph Lauren blazers and berets, much as they did four years ago when Lauren dressed them. ABC’s Sharyn Alfonsi reported Wednesday evening that every clothing item they’ll be wearing at the opening ceremony in London will carry an overseas label.

Some on Capitol Hill responded Thursday to the report with outrage, some even suggesting making a bonfire with the outfits.

“I think they should take all the uniforms, put them in a big pile and burn them and start all over again,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said when asked by ABC News Thursday. “If they have to wear nothing but a singlet that says USA on it, painted by hand, that is what they should wear.”

The new legislation’s intention is to secure this policy for future Olympic Games, but the senators are still calling for the U.S. Olympic Committee to change this year’s outfits out of principle.

“I call on the USOC to do the right thing for this summer’s team,” Sen. Menendez said in a statement today. “I call on my colleagues to help pass this bill to ensure we don’t find ourselves in this appalling, embarrassing situation before the opening of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.”

The bill would amend the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act to require the adoption of a policy that requires the uniforms to be “sewn or assembled in the United States with fabrics formed and cut in the United States or components knit to shape from yarns wholly formed in the United States. ”

If the USOC can’t meet the procurement requirement under the new legislation, they would have to provide a detailed justification for sourcing from overseas, the legislation will say.

“The pride of our Olympic athletics goes hand in hand with the pride of American innovation and manufacturing,” Senator Gillibrand said. “We shouldn’t be going to the world stage with anything less. From head to toe, Team USA must be made in America.”

Senate Democrats Introducing ‘Team USA Made in America Act of 2012′ - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/senate-democrats-introducing-team-usa-made-in-america-act-of-2012/)

Really? You guys have nothing else better to do?

How about STOP BORROWING MONEY FROM CHINA?

Chunder
25 Jul 12,, 13:25
How about STOP BORROWING MONEY FROM CHINA?

Who said America doesn't rely off the sweat of Communism?

gunnut
26 Jul 12,, 00:27
Who said America doesn't rely off the sweat of Communism?

I have no problem exploiting communism. I have a problem paying off communism.

Chunder
26 Jul 12,, 10:36
I have no problem exploiting communism. I have a problem paying off communism.

It appears they are exploiting your Achilles heel:- a penchant for spending money that aint yours to pacify your honourable politicians spending habits :).