F-15E 1/48th & 1/32nd WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-15E 1/48th & 1/32nd WIP

More or less began both a 1/48th F-15E Strike Eagle AND a 1/32nd F-15E at the same time, partly to compare the two, and partly to keep it interesting; they are both Revell, though it's prety obvious which one came first. I'll post some pic's as soon as I can get them uploaded but, first, a short description of each kit:

The 1/48th F-15E is a relatively recent offering from Revell-o-gram; original instructions have a copyright date of 2000, so it's relatively accurate, right down to the different ECM tailcones (F-15E's after 1995 had one square tailcone and one round one; earlier models had two round ones). Unfortunately, the kit doesn't provide any armament besides AIM-9's, but I'll be bombing mine up with a selection of ground-attack weapons from good ole Hasegawa weapons kits (in this case, GBU-12 Paveway II's, Mk. 20 Rockeyes, and a GPU-5/A 30mm gun pod) in a so-called "Load Of Justice" OAF configuraton (go to here for more info).

Offering number two is Revell's venerable so-called F-15E "Strike Eagle" in 1/32nd scale; I say "so-called" because Revell's original 1982 (30-years old!) molding of this kit was actually based on the McDD F-15B-based demonstrator, not a production F-15E, so the weapons pylons and numerous other details are fairly inaccurate: no tail-cone ECM pods at all; FAST packs are inaccurate; cockpit has F-15B/D details; main gear doors are standard F-15A/C doors, not the later bulged gear doors for the fatter F-15E tires & wheels; etc. However, I have a fairly detailed set of after-market Superscale F-15E decals (even got them on sale!), so I'll make the best of a 30-year old kit.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

but I'll be bombing mine up with a selection of ground-attack weapons from good ole Hasegawa weapons kits
    The MACAIR engineers are turning over in their graves and/or are unhappy with you. "Not a pound for air to ground" was the design mantra. The Mud Hen with all that insane added bulk can hardly be called an F-15 any more. They should have given it its own numerical designation. ;)

Comment

Wasn't the Strike Eagle concept McAir's idea in the first place?

Comment

Most definitely. I was yanking Stitch's chain a bit. ;)

Comment

Nice!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while; a 200-lbs. (that's 90kg to everyone else!) tree branch hit me in the head last week when I was cutting it off, so I've been "laying low" for a while.

Been away from work from the last week, and I'd rather use my T-1 connection at work to upload photos than my pathetically slow connection here at home.
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
            The Mud Hen with all that insane added bulk can hardly be called an F-15 any more. They should have given it its own numerical designation. ;)
            I've always been curious as to the F-15E's air-to-air capability...any tidbits of info you can throw out there?
            I'm sure there's a wicked drag penalty with that that air-to-ground ordnance but how about a (relatively) clean configuration?

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            Sorry I haven't posted in a while; a 200-lbs. (that's 90kg to everyone else!) tree branch hit me in the head last week when I was cutting it off, so I've been "laying low" for a while.
            Dude! How're you doing?
            I know a kid that was paralyzed by a large falling tree branch :(
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Nice!

Next time be on the same side of the saw as the trunk of the tree.

Trunk-Stitch-chainsaw-branch
              Last edited by Gun Grape; 04 Jul 12,, 06:43.

Comment

The F-15E has all the bells and whistles for air to air that the C models have. In fact, when it was first introduced, the APG-70 production went primarily to the F-15E. But the added drag and weight makes it more of an interceptor rather than a turning machine. Acceleration especially suffers a bit. Probably the biggest factor would be the reduced A-A training vs. the "C" guys. If I were to guess, the E boys probably spent 75% of their time on A-G, with an intercept or quick perch setup thrown in at the end of a sortie, while the dedicated C squadrons did nothing but air-air. So training would probably be the biggest factor.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  I've always been curious as to the F-15E's air-to-air capability...any tidbits of info you can throw out there?
                  I'm sure there's a wicked drag penalty with that that air-to-ground ordnance but how about a (relatively) clean configuration?

Dude! How're you doing?

I know a kid that was paralyzed by a large falling tree branch :(
                  Better late than never!

Not bad, considering there's about two hours of my life I have no recollection of. It coulda been worse: I was holding a chain saw when I fell off the ladder, I hate to think about what that could've done to me. My middle son (who saw the whole thing) said I kept the (running) chain saw at arms-length away from me, even AFTER I hit the ground.

Anyway, here's where I'm at; kind of at a standstill, I get distracted easily (I have ADMD, Attention-Deficit Modelers Disorder), and I'm not looking forward to painting the (very large) intakes for the F-100-PW-200's. Lately, I've been concentrating on an Academy 1/35th UH-60L in ODS colors (sand); I'll try and post WIP pictures of the Blackhawk next week.

I'm actually a lot further along than this, these pic's were taken several months ago (yes, I'm slow!); I'll also try and get some WIP pictures of the Blackhawk this weekend.

Edit: UNFORTUNATELY, the pictures are on my (much faster) comp at work; I'll re-load them on Monday.
                  Last edited by Stitch; 10 Nov 12,, 05:31.

Comment

Better late than never!
                    No problem bro, always happy to hear good news!
                    Glad you're ok...astounding to hear you kept that saw away from you like that. Speaks volumes about our subconscious mind keeping ourselves safe.

Try to reload those pics again, something went haywire along the way.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      No problem bro, always happy to hear good news!
                      Glad you're ok...astounding to hear you kept that saw away from you like that. Speaks volumes about our subconscious mind keeping ourselves safe.

Try to reload those pics again, something went haywire along the way.
                      Thanks, TH!

I guess I had an angel watching over me.

Yes, I'll try and re-load the pics on Monday (see above).

Comment

I know, I know; it's been over two years since I added to this thread! But I'm ALMOST done (well, at least with the 1/48th F-15E, anyway!)! For those of you new to this thread, as near as I can tell, this model is simply a re-boxed Hasegawa sold by Revell (Revell's done this before, most notably with their 1/48th scale Arado Ar-234C); it's definitely worth the $30+.

Anyway, here are some much more recent pics. I took about eight pictures last night but, apparently, only four of them made it onto the memory card; my 15-year old camera is (finally) starting to show it's age. I'll try again tonight . . . .

All I have left to do is glue the canopy on, and add the "window" for the AN/AAQ-14 targeting pod:

The 1/32nd version of this model (also by Revell) is only about half complete; I hope to have that one done by the end of the year.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Gorgeous!!

Comment

Yes, what he said!

Comment

1/48th F-15E FINISHED!

I am finally DONE with the F-15E!

I'd estimate I spent a total of five years on this particular project but, lately, I've begun to actually FINISH some of my models, including this one; the other two models I finished this month are a 1/48th Italeri/Testor's V-22 Osprey (a 25-year old kit based on the prototype V-22), and a 1/48th Eurofighter Typhoon (also based on the prototype Eurofighter).

Anyway, here they are; I'll post the 1/32nd F-15E photos if and when I finish it:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X