PDA

View Full Version : Best Ice Cream Brand

Shadowsided
16 Jun 12,, 17:26
Nevee tried Ben.and Jerry's been a while since I had haagen dazs so im going with friedlys brand ice cream.

gunnut
18 Jun 12,, 23:05
I like Dreyers.

texasjohn
19 Jun 12,, 02:38
You mean you guys have NEVER heard of Blue Bell???

Blue Bell Ice Cream (http://bluebell.com/)

S2
19 Jun 12,, 03:15
Big fan of Safeway's Alaskan Moosetracks. Used to love swinging by the Univ. Of Wisconsin ice cream place at Babcock Hall. They made an awesome chocolate chip with chunks of butterscotch. My mom used to make a pretty damned tasty peach ice cream.

All that sh!t is deadly to ol' S-2. GREAT way to go though...

bonehead
19 Jun 12,, 16:19
Tillamook is the brand I mostly go for. My only complaint is the availability. Its made in Oregon but too much of it gets shipped to Seattle so often times its hard to find even the basics.Tillamook makes a damned fine cheese too. Breyers vanilla is hard to beat when you want ice cream without a bunch of things you cant pronounce in it.

bigross86
19 Jun 12,, 21:00
I make my own peanut butter ice cream, which is pretty damn awesome, if I do say so myself...

Black Stone
05 Jul 12,, 19:27
When I was young, Haagen Dazs was very expensive in China. An icecream would cost us 70 yuan while I only had 400 yuan every month. And I also never knew other icecream brand during that time.

Ten years later, I earn 7000yuan a month(1000 us dollars),which is a number much less than that in the west. Anyway, I could buy 100 Haagen Dazs a month now though I have no interest in it for I found it is not a good icecream brand.

Officer of Engineers
05 Jul 12,, 20:19
I found that I lost my taste for ice cream when I acquired the taste for scotch.

Albany Rifles
05 Jul 12,, 20:23
Totally dependent on geography.

When I am in upstate New York a stop at a Stewart Shoppe for a choclate chip ice cream cone is combat critical task. When I am in rural New England or New York each major local dairy seems to have their own little seasonal ice cream shop which makes the best in the world....until I drive 6 miles down the road! The only place on the planet I will eat blueberry ice cream is a little stand on the northeast shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, NH.

For mass market, I am with Texas John....Blue Bell can't be beat.

Albany Rifles
05 Jul 12,, 20:23
I found that I lost my taste for ice cream when I acquired the taste for scotch.

Try Drambuie over Vanilla!

astralis
05 Jul 12,, 20:34

for fancy-shmancy, Bourbon Steak here in DC has a 18-year Macallan pot-de-creme, with ice cream made from said scotch.

given how i like both, it's a good winner, especially when paired WITH.

gunnut
05 Jul 12,, 20:37
Years ago we could get a scoop of Thrifty ice cream for 15 cents. Add 10 cents and we could get a 2nd scoop. Another 10 cents would give us a 3rd scoop. 3 scoops of Thrifty ice cream for 35 cents was heaven when I was growing up in the OC. Thrifty is now owned by Rite Aid and the ice cream is $1.29; 3 scoops would cost $2.49.

Those were the days...

This article was from 2 years ago: Behind the scenes of Thrifty Ice Cream | ice, cream, thrifty - The Orange County Register (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ice-266481-cream-thrifty.html)

Doktor
05 Jul 12,, 21:52
Years ago we could get a scoop of Thrifty ice cream for 15 cents. Add 10 cents and we could get a 2nd scoop. Another 10 cents would give us a 3rd scoop. 3 scoops of Thrifty ice cream for 35 cents was heaven when I was growing up in the OC. Thrifty is now owned by Rite Aid and the ice cream is $1.29; 3 scoops would cost $2.49.

Those were the days...

This article was from 2 years ago: Behind the scenes of Thrifty Ice Cream | ice, cream, thrifty - The Orange County Register (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ice-266481-cream-thrifty.html)
Considering that you are slightly younger then GG or AR, today's Thrifty would be cheaper when adjusted for inflation :Dancing-Banana:

gunnut
05 Jul 12,, 22:29
Considering that you are slightly younger then GG or AR, today's Thrifty would be cheaper when adjusted for inflation :Dancing-Banana:

I'm not that old...:tongue:

Albany Rifles
06 Jul 12,, 02:48
*+*+++++. Bastids @@@&=+^

Tarek Morgen
06 Jul 12,, 03:26
I can't eat any ice due food intolerances..so I am currently quite tempted to simply close this thread out of envy.

USSWisconsin
06 Jul 12,, 03:29
I can't eat any ice due food intolerances..so I am currently quite tempted to simply close this thread out of envy.
I can relate, the cold hurts my teeth too much, I can't even handle cold drinks- the long term consequences of radiation therapy.

Tarek Morgen
06 Jul 12,, 03:35
In my case it is one of the many joys of a chronic auto-immun disorder that attacks the diggestions system. Can't eat any milk & gluten products, as well as fruits and much more. There are times when my daily consist completely out of pure rice or smashed potatoes because I can't eat anything else...I miss apples.

YellowFever
06 Jul 12,, 05:34
This thread is depressing.....

dundonrl
06 Jul 12,, 06:53
love Tillamook ice cream (and cheese) I think that I'll go have another chunk of their sharp that's in the fridge..

astralis
06 Jul 12,, 15:29
tarek,

how do you prevent nutrition deficiences?? can your body handle vitamin pills?

Tarek Morgen
06 Jul 12,, 17:20
tarek,

how do you prevent nutrition deficiences?? can your body handle vitamin pills?

Most times I can eat some vegetables (in small amounts) as well as a few selected frutis (like bananas, though I hate them), though I sometimes have to do take nutrition addititions like vitamin pills & "liquid food". Also luckily for me, rice is able to cover most of the basic needs except for vitamins, so that is rather the exception than the norm. What I have to take daily is 1000mg calcium tablets to slow done the strength loss of my bones caused by my medications.

Doktor
06 Jul 12,, 21:42
So, what can you eat besides rice and bananas?

Organic food is on the menu?

Tarek Morgen
06 Jul 12,, 22:29
The problem is not simply organic food or not. I can usually eat lean meat & fish. In recent years my diet shifted to a somewhat "asiatic centric" (the food we get here sold as "asian"). It has a lot of rice, meat/fish usually no fruits. I often have to pick out vegetables, though not all of them. But since I cannot simply try out new dishes without being very careful my meals are very repetive. When I found something I can eat without too much trouble I stick with it. Also it is easiest for me to seperate food as much as possible, in the sense of as little of different incridients as possible. If I were for example to eat rice with meat & vegetables, I eat first the rice, wait for a several hours, then the vegetables, and then the meat.

So I could eat a hamburger for example. If I use gluten free bread...and put nothing on it besides the meat.

cyppok
06 Jul 12,, 22:35
what about frozen yougurt tarek like 16 handles or pinkberry, or something like that.

Tarek Morgen
06 Jul 12,, 23:10
THose are milk products as well. There are a few special ice sorts for people with intolerances I can eat, but those are rather expensive and taste horrible. (Though I have to admit..I am not even sure they sell frozen yogurt in Germany. If they do it is rather rare)

S2
07 Jul 12,, 01:15
You were a high school track sprinter of some note as I recall. Are you able to exercise and, if so, with regularity?

Tarek Morgen
07 Jul 12,, 01:38
I was, had to stop before I went to college. Gained lot of weight (no more exercise & cushing syndrom). Earlier this year I was allowed to start light training again for the first time in years. Less than two months later I had to stop agasin due an infection & operation. A month later I was able to start again, only for the infection to return after a weeks forcing another break. Right now it looks like it will be several months before I can return to a regular training schedule. On the plus side, due my forced diet, diarrhea, medication & infections I've lost most of the gained weight in the last 6 months and might even have my normal figure by years end.

bonehead
07 Jul 12,, 05:58
If possible try the pool. You can build slowly without stressing or shocking the hell out of your body.

Tarek Morgen
07 Jul 12,, 06:40
Thanks for the suggestion, but...sorry, no way in hell.

When I was a teenager I did more than running, among the other sports I did was in fact swimming, including joining & training for the local water rescue. The problem is that besides the above mention health problems I have a few others. Among them exercise-induced asthma. I was usually able to keep it in check easily with my spray, but there is a difference between getting an asthma attack on the track and one while being in the middle of pool. The latter happened only once to me, but was enough to drain all the fun of swimming for me.

After that I only returned to it once. That was several years later while camping with several friends and their families at a private lake. One of them had a 4 year old kid, which at point managed to trip, slip and roll down a slop into the lake. I was the first one to see him fall and raced to the lake to jump after him. At that point another of my health problems came into play. I have a serious problem with my equilibrium system, which means that I always dizzy and react very sensitive to movement. Riding an elevator feels to me like riding a free fall tower to a normal person. This problem had gotten much worse to the combination with my auto-immune disorder (the meds I had did no longer work properly due having constant diarrhoea. Due this I lost all sense of direction after I jumped head first into the water and literally did not know which way is up, which is quite an unnerving realization while you are underwater.

Those two experiences are enough to keep me far away from any body of water bigger than a bathtub.

bonehead
07 Jul 12,, 15:50
I was thinking more along the line of water aerobics and resistance training. You get to keep your head above water but no jarring/pounding to the joints as land based sports. I have asthma too so my snorkeling/diving days are over. Cant risk a coughing fit at 20 feet. Just as well though. The water in Oregon is cold as hell.

S2
07 Jul 12,, 16:41
Back to ice cream. I'll second Tillamook. Outstanding ice cream (yummmm...Strawberry), cheese (extra-sharp cheddar is excellent) and butter. Great products. Culver's Frozen custard in Middleton/Cross Plains, Wisconsin is super-duper too.

Doktor
07 Jul 12,, 17:16
Someone said Globalisation?

Now I ask where are those fine Ice-Creams everybody talks about around here.

We are stuck with Mars, Nestle and local ones (tho some are really nwammy).

Albany Rifles
07 Jul 12,, 19:30
Someone said Globalisation?

Now I ask where are those fine Ice-Creams everybody talks about around here.

You can have my ice cream when you pry the scoop from my cold dead hand!!!!

Dang ferriners!!!!

bonehead
07 Jul 12,, 20:31
Back to ice cream. I'll second Tillamook. Outstanding ice cream (yummmm...Strawberry), cheese (extra-sharp cheddar is excellent) and butter. Great products. Culver's Frozen custard in Middleton/Cross Plains, Wisconsin is super-duper too.

The closest Culvers for us is about 20 minutes west of Sturgis South Dakota. Better get some before the bikers get it all next month.

Doktor
07 Jul 12,, 22:37
You can have my ice cream when you pry the scoop from my cold dead hand!!!!

Dang ferriners!!!!

Since it is damn obvious I don't have a chance, don't wanna have the ice cream that killed you.

Albany Rifles
08 Jul 12,, 15:08
Dok,

The realistic answer to your question is a matter of scale. Small craft ice cream is like small craft beer....when you go big you lose a lot of the goodness that comes with creating vice producing. That keeps it local.

Doktor
08 Jul 12,, 15:21
AR,

I realize that. And am glad there are areas, especially in food sector, where global players don't have a chance, but to buy locals. And even then, that's not "it".

Albany Rifles
08 Jul 12,, 17:26
Agree totally. The best brats in Germany were always from a street vendor, the best fish and chips in the UK is always from a pub or a one off shop, the best wine in France is from a local vintner (same for Italy) and the best ice cream (and burgers) are from local establishments where it all is handmade.

True the world around.

bigross86
08 Jul 12,, 18:18
The best meat pies in Australia and New Zealand were always from the guy on the corner selling them from his little stand for at least half the price what you would find in a bakery or pie shop

USSWisconsin
08 Jul 12,, 19:43
There's a little shop in Waukesha called Divino Gelato, my Daughter's favorite (I take her there about once a week in the summer)- they make Gelato and Sorbeto fresh (Italian ice cream and sherbert) and delicious, they give little samples for free (a tiny spoonful). I tried avacado gelato the other day - it was amazing.

Doktor
08 Jul 12,, 22:02
Well, the name is right (Divino Gelatto).

JAD_333
08 Jul 12,, 23:08
My favorite is vanilla with chocolate swirled in. For some reason the high end ice creams don't make it. So I have to go with Breyers or Turkey Hill.

When I was a kid I spent summers working on farms. A big treat was making ice cream out on the porch on a hot evening. Tasted pretty good, at least to a kid.