• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Indian Army officer kills family, self in US

Ex-Indian Army officer kills family, self in US
    AP | 9 hours ago
    Ex-Indian Army officer kills family, self in US | DAWN.COM

Avtar Singh (above) called police at around 6:15 a.m. Saturday and told them that he had just killed four people, Sheriff’s Deputy Chris Curtice said.— Photo by AP

SELMA: A former Indian Army officer wanted in a 1996 killing in the disputed Kashmir region killed his wife and two of their children in their California home before apparently taking his own life, authorities said.

Avtar Singh called police at around 6:15 a.m. Saturday and told them that he had just killed four people, Sheriff’s Deputy Chris Curtice said.

Police asked for assistance from the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office because Singh was known to have a military background and was wanted by authorities in India for allegedly killing a human rights lawyer in 1996 in the disputed Kashmir region, Curtice said.

When a sheriff’s Swat team entered the home they found the bodies of Singh, a woman believed to be his wife and two children, ages 3 and 15, Curtice said. All four appeared to have died from gunshot wounds.

A 17-year-old boy also found in the home was suffering from severe head trauma and was “barely alive,” Curtice said.

The teen was taken to a hospital where he underwent surgery. His condition wasn’t known.

Singh fled to the United States after he was accused of killing lawyer Jaleel Andrabi in India-controlled Kashmir’s main city, Srinagar.

Andrabi disappeared in March 1996 at the height of an anti-India uprising, and his body was recovered 19 days later in a local river. He had been shot in the head and his eyes gouged out.

Singh, 47, was arrested by police in February 2011 when his wife reported that he had choked her, Police Chief Myron Dyck said shortly after that arrest. After Singh was taken into custody, police discovered that he was being sought in India.

Several days later, India requested that the United States arrest and extradite Singh. It wasn’t clear on Saturday why Singh had remained free since the request.

Dyck didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment Saturday about the 2011 arrest, and Selma police referred questions about Saturday’s incident to Fresno County sheriff’s officials.

Selma police last had contact with Singh about two months ago when he called to complain that reporters wouldn’t leave him alone because of the murder warrant, Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims told the Fresno Bee (Sheriff: Selma man kills wife, sons before killing self - Updates - fresnobee.com ).

Singh owned and operated Jay Truck Lines, a trucking company in Selma. Alli Adan, a driver for the company, said he spent time with Singh this past week, including Friday night, and Singh acted normally.

“He was a nice guy,” Adan told the newspaper. “I couldn’t believe it because I didn’t think he could do something like this.”
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

I can't see the revelence in the South Asian forum.

Comment

A fugative wanted for an alleged crime committed in S. Asia has killed his family and self here in America. Given the nature of the alleged crime in Kashmir there appears some relevance. I don't understand extradition proceedings but somebody in California right now has some questions to answer regarding why this man and his family aren't today alive in India instead of dead in California's central valley.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

He is Major Avtar Singh from the 35th Rashtriya Rifles unit of the InA. There is alrealdy an ongoing case involving him in Srinagar Court, regarding alleged custodial killing of Jaleel Andrabi, suppossedly a human rights activist in 1996. Those were the years fraught with killings and ambushes, with the insurgents having a field day, everyday. Excesses were also reported, though the CI Units were restricted from using heavy weapons. Custodial killings were widely reported and had immense negative impact on the forces involved in Kashmir valley.

There are many contradictory and shady parts in the entire case. Like in 2000, a police team headed by a Superintendent of police went to Karnal in Haryana, where the Major was then posted in a Territorial Army regiment. Despite having the claimed High Court's orders, the police team failed to arrest him. No one nows why? Also in Dec, 2000, the police filed a chargesheet in the case without producing the accused. It is kind of queer that a chargesheet is filed without producing the accused.

Subsequently, when the matter was again brought before the High Court, it directed the trial court to ensure the presence of the accused. Since then the trial court suppossedly issued couple of warrants against the Major, but he still wasn't arrested. Again no one knows why? It is also strange as to how the Major obtained travel documents like passport and crossed immigration, to land in the US while a red-corner notice through Interpol stands issued against him. Incidently the Major has a first wife from Jawaharnagar area of Srinagar, who now lives in New Delhi. I concur with S-2, that had the concerned officials from both our countries acted in tandem and had he been extradited to India, he and his family members would have better chances of living today, rather than dieing in California.
        Last edited by Deltacamelately; 11 Jun 12,, 08:49.
        sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Few more details about the case is here - Jaleel Andrabi murder case
          sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post

“He was a nice guy,” Adan told the newspaper. “I couldn’t believe it because I didn’t think he could do something like this.”
            Shows how people are taken in , nice man was 24 carat bastard , why o why kill innocent children . Im happy about one thing in all this tragedy , the cnut topped himself .

Comment

I don't see how the family would have been well and alive in India, nor why they should have been deported altogether with him.

If he was detained for extradition in the first place I guess none of this nonsense would have happened.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                I don't see how the family would have been well and alive in India, nor why they should have been deported altogether with him.

If he was detained for extradition in the first place I guess none of this nonsense would have happened.
                As the system is not infallible people slip through the net. The reason the family would be deported is because they entered the US illegally. He must have lied on his application therefore his, and the families application is null and void. It matters no now as he has decided to murder one final time.

Comment

Sorry, I don't follow.

She called the police to help her. They came and did that.

Now, when the police asked for IDs...... the damn dog at them (again)?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    Sorry, I don't follow.

She called the police to help her. They came and did that.

Now, when the police asked for IDs...... the damn dog at them (again)?
                    Nope, his cover was blown. They knew who he was:

After Singh was taken into custody, police discovered that he was being sought in India.

Several days later, India requested that the United States arrest and extradite Singh. It wasn’t clear on Saturday why Singh had remained free since the request.
                    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Saw this in the news. We have a few of these where husband kills wife and children lately. Hope the SOB burns in hell and is not honored in any kind of a burial. Killing children is unacceptable, just blow your f&%#g brains out and leave the innocent alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                        Nope, his cover was blown. They knew who he was:
                        Mr Lukins said the family was staying in USA illegally.

Why noone deported them (wife and kids) back to India or whichever country they entered USA from?

Comment

Working...
                        X