PDA

View Full Version : Malware Warning - file2store Redirect

Admiral Nelson
23 May 12,, 15:55
I've notice that if I do a google search for 'worldaffairsboard" and then click on the google displayed link, I get redirected to some page called "file2store.info", which is full of nasty pop ups and other nonsense. It does this on multiple computers and even my phone.

Further, google now displays this site as a page "which can harm your computer".

Any ideas?

Tarek Morgen
23 May 12,, 17:00
We are aware of the issue, and have notified "the powers that be", but until their reply I can't do anything about it.

dmwnc1959
23 May 12,, 17:22
When using my laptop I've been getting a full screen Google Warnings page on possible Malware or Virus downloads if I visit this site. I can still visit using my iPhone but hesitant to do so on my laptop.

TopHatter
23 May 12,, 17:38
It's actually an old problem, a script that redirects people who Google search WAB and then try to reach it through the link provided.

USSWisconsin
23 May 12,, 17:40
The solution that consistantly works for me is a bookmark/favorite with the actual address of WAB - http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/

This file2store problem in google searches for WAB is several years old.
As a side note: I wonder who would consider storing their files on such a malicious site.

dmwnc1959
23 May 12,, 17:43
I usually access WAB through a link in my Favorites Folder for the Ghost Fleet Thread. That's when the Google Warning page pops up even though I am not using a Google Search. I am using Google Chrome as my browser so that may be the trigger? As mentioned before I don't get the Warning Page when using my iPhone which uses Safari as its browser. However if I do a Google Search with my iPhone I do get the results page that shows WAB and the warning 'This site may harm your computer' just below.

Tarek Morgen
23 May 12,, 17:50
I am using Google Chrome as my browser so that may be the trigger? Yes, to he best of my undestanding. But I think the warning might also be triggered for firefox users. IE & Opera did when I tested it.

dmwnc1959
23 May 12,, 17:54
So should I not access WAB using my laptop as a precautionary measure to avoid any possible damage?

Tarek Morgen
23 May 12,, 18:58
The danger comes from the redirect, not WAB itself. WAB itself is not more risky to use today than it was last week. The difference is that the (already existing) redirect from google to the malware site via an exploit was discovered by a Google script.

kato
23 May 12,, 20:17
Actually, there's also a recent issue with a malicious ad script being distributed through the OpenX ad provider. Don't know if WAB uses them, but this was an issue with other sites getting blacklisted by Google.

As for the "malicious content" warning by browsers, Chrome, Firefox and Safari all use the Google blacklist. IE doesn't, browsers for iphone/android apparently don't either.

citanon
23 May 12,, 22:49
Guys, just now my firefox blocked WAB as an attack site.

Roosveltrepub
23 May 12,, 23:55
StopBadware - What is Badware? (http://www.stopbadware.org/home/badware)
World Affairs Board

www.worldaffairsboard.com/

This site may harm your computer.
The World Affairs Board is the premier forums for the discussion of the pressing geopolitical issues of our time. Topics include foreign & defense policy, ...
Your new search status fyi

JAD_333
24 May 12,, 00:03
Guys, just now my firefox blocked WAB as an attack site.

You should still have an option to proceed. Rebookmark WAB site...no redirects.

Roosveltrepub
24 May 12,, 00:06
I think the risk is it will scare folks away

Ken_NJ
24 May 12,, 09:34
I visit WAB a multiple times a day. I might get redirected once or twice to file2store. Today I was getting the below message which is what I would say others are now getting. You can bypass it, just click 'Ignore this warning' if you want to. I am using Firefox on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Parihaka
24 May 12,, 10:58
I visit WAB a multiple times a day. I might get redirected once or twice to file2store. Today I was getting the below message which is what I would say others are now getting. You can bypass it, just click 'Ignore this warning' if you want to. I am using Firefox on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

It stops appearing if you trash your old bookmark and install a new one

dmwnc1959
24 May 12,, 11:09
I tried several times tonight to access WAB through Internet Explorer and instead of a Google Warning Page got redirected numerous times to a site I couldn't even 'X' out of. Had to shut down my laptop and start over again. :frown:

My anti-virus protection also threw up another alert:

STOP! Bitdefender blocked this web page.

The page you are trying to access contains malware.

Details:
Web Page: http://www.educationrecommendation.com/bnrs.cfm

Access from your browser has been blocked.

This was using IE.

Doktor
24 May 12,, 13:02
The fancy updated Chrome for Windows can't hold water to FF 2.0 for Linux. No redirections, no warning, no nothing, just bam I am on WAB :red:

Double Edge
24 May 12,, 14:02
The fancy updated Chrome for Windows can't hold water to FF 2.0 for Linux.
Umm, chrome keeps throwing up a 'something is wrong here' page everytime i click on any thread from the 'what's new' list, which is just one tab out of many i have open.

Thinking of going back to Opera, Chrome is a real memory hog.

Builder 2010
24 May 12,, 15:42
For the last couple of days I'm getting a "Warning - This site has been found by Google to contain Malware! If you proceed it could infect your computer!"

What's going on? Is this something that can be fixed by the Administrator?

Captain Worley
24 May 12,, 16:00
I just got one this morning.

USSWisconsin
24 May 12,, 16:44
Its being discussed here

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wab-information-center/62731-file2store-redirect-2.html#post873146

Summary - it is an external issue - not a WAB problem

TopHatter
24 May 12,, 17:08
Update: Rochen is aware of the problem and they are looking into it.

tankie
25 May 12,, 10:40
Umm, chrome keeps throwing up a 'something is wrong here' page everytime i click on any thread from the 'what's new' list, which is just one tab out of many i have open.

Thinking of going back to Opera, Chrome is a real memory hog.

Same here , and also appears on facebook using chrome :mad:

Martin
25 May 12,, 13:35
This should now be resolved and I've requested delisting from Google.

Tarek Morgen
25 May 12,, 14:18
Thanks for the help Martin.

THere are still af ew issues with the sub-forums which are currently being dealth with. Please don't be surprised if the look of the forumlists seems to keep changing for the next few days.

Doktor
25 May 12,, 14:48
I still have issues. Now even open in new windows redirects to google's warning page.

I have noticed some changes in the reply form.

Also, the landing page is Activity Stream, which is kinda cool.

Tarek Morgen
25 May 12,, 14:52
I have noticed some changes in the reply form.

Also, the landing page is Activity Stream, which is kinda cool.

This comes from the updates installed. They should also (hopefully) prevent the same problem to return in the future,

I still have issues. Now even open in new windows redirects to google's warning page.

The actual problem (redirect to a malware site) should be solved, the warning remains simply because there is some delay between us (or rather Martin) fixing the problem and google noticing it and removing us from the blacklist.

TopHatter
25 May 12,, 15:19
Those updates are excellent! I love how the Quick Reply now has all the usual HTML formatting tools. SO annoying to have to use Go Advanced for that.

Holy crap while I was typing this, a little "Autosaved" tag popped up!

:danc:

And now I'm seeing even more little tweaks. Usually "updates" are a PITA but this is COOL! :biggrin:

S2
25 May 12,, 15:48
I had problems early this morning Pacific time. Seems resolved but for being bounced to an activity stream instead of the forum homepage.

snapper
25 May 12,, 22:07
Seems to be cleared for me.

tankie
25 May 12,, 22:23
And mweah , however i cant access forum leaders section no more :slap:

oops its in whats new innit :redface:

dmwnc1959
26 May 12,, 06:21
Seems to be cleared for me.

Same here. Not getting the Google Warning page anymore.

THANKS for fixing it. :)

Builder 2010
26 May 12,, 16:17
Also, it seems we've gotten a new format for advanced replies which I like also.

Doktor
26 May 12,, 22:30
Also, it seems we've gotten a new format for advanced replies which I like also.

Wohooo, we've got tables. Too bad some posters haven't bothered to use them, yet.

Parihaka
26 May 12,, 22:37
Wohooo, we've got tables. Too bad some posters haven't bothered to use them, yet.

And formatting
and of course number lists
and bullet lists
what are subscript and superscript though?

Tarek Morgen
26 May 12,, 22:39
And formatting
and of course number lists
and bullet lists
what are subscript and superscript though?

Subscript and superscript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscript_and_superscript)

Parihaka
26 May 12,, 22:39
Hmm, this may take more thought

:danc:

Parihaka
26 May 12,, 22:41
Subscript and superscript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscript_and_superscript)

No no, in your own words Tarek

Doktor
26 May 12,, 22:41

I don't think he was serious when he asked that.

Doktor
26 May 12,, 22:42

Now, can we get back to black sans only please?

Tarek Morgen
26 May 12,, 22:51

Pff. operated on right shoulder. Typing one handed sucks.

I don't think he was serious when he asked that.

In my defence, as a German I'm humorously challenged.

ambidex
26 May 12,, 23:49
Please delete your previous bookmark and after clicking forum tab make a new one. Its working for me good now.

Parihaka
26 May 12,, 23:52
Pff. operated on right shoulder. Typing one handed sucks.

In my defence, as a German I'm humorously challenged.

Rubbish, you're the funniest German I know :)

Parihaka
26 May 12,, 23:55
Now, can we get back to black sans only please?

I will if you will.

Tarek Morgen
27 May 12,, 00:38

That is like saying Bigfella is the "most normal Australian you know". Even if it might be technically true, it doesn't mean that much. I mean how normal can a person be that chooses to stay in Australia?

Parihaka
27 May 12,, 02:47
That is like saying Bigfella is the "most normal Australian you know". Even if it might be technically true, it doesn't mean that much. I mean how normal can a person be that chooses to stay in Australia?

Some might say not very but I couldn't possibly comment

Bigfella
27 May 12,, 12:04

I see that german sense of humour is functioning well. :biggrin:

I guess I'll just have to comfort myself with sun, surf and and the OECD's 'star' economy. :sniffle: ;)

Officer of Engineers
27 May 12,, 17:59
Only Australians are stupid enough to export Fosters and then wonder why the Poms are flocking their shores for the same.

USSWisconsin
27 May 12,, 18:23
DMaj - AMaj -EMaj
Emin - Amin - Dmin -CMaj - Cmin 7th
GMaj - FMaj - Cmaj

E=mc2

:biggrin: Woo Hoo

Doktor
27 May 12,, 18:35
Only Australians are stupid enough to export Fosters and then wonder why the Poms are flocking their shores for the same.

Actually they export it in order to keep the poms away from the shores :biggrin:

YellowFever
27 May 12,, 21:02
Tarek...

I'm still having issues.

I still see tankie's and Doktor's posts.

Can we do something about this?

tankie
27 May 12,, 21:05
Tarek...

I'm still having issues.

Ov course V

YellowFever
27 May 12,, 21:14
Only Australians are stupid enough to export Fosters....

Only the Aussies are stupid enough to brew them in the first place....

Tarek Morgen
27 May 12,, 21:21
Tarek...

I'm still having issues.

You mean like giving you a ban?

Albany Rifles
27 May 12,, 21:55

That's like being the tallest midget in the room!!!

Albany Rifles
27 May 12,, 21:57
Tarek...

I'm still having issues.

Yes......yes you are.

YellowFever
27 May 12,, 22:27
Hey....who gave Albany a sense of humor.... :mad:

Bigfella
27 May 12,, 22:59
Only the Aussies are stupid enough to brew them in the first place....

You do realise 'Fosters' is Australian for 'we can't believe foreigners drink that sh1it'. Making a fortune by exporting crap beer always struck me as rather clever :D

Doktor
27 May 12,, 23:04
That would make XXX a Foster's for Jews?

bigross86
27 May 12,, 23:40
XXXX, and don't knock it til you try it

YellowFever
28 May 12,, 01:26
You do realise 'Fosters' is Australian for 'we can't believe foreigners drink that sh1it'. Making a fortune by exporting crap beer always struck me as rather clever :D

Hey...who gave BF A sense of humor? :mad:

Albany Rifles
28 May 12,, 04:28
Hey....who gave Albany a sense of humor.... :mad:

So much bandwidth.....such little intellect.

Bigfella
28 May 12,, 11:39
That would make XXX a Foster's for Jews?

XXXX is what happens when you put white folks too close to the equator. That is why we use the phrase 'going troppo' (tropical) to denote going crazy. The running joke was always that Queenslanders called it XXXX because they can't spell beer. That said, the brand nearly redeemed itself with the slogan 'I can feel a XXXX coming on. Apparently XXXX is a popular brand of condom in many parts of the world, so the ads were unintentionally hilarious. If only they could make the beer unintentionally drinkable. Oh well.

Doktor
29 May 12,, 15:12
BTW, what happened with all the cool flags bellow profiles?

Or we got under UN administration? :biggrin:

Bigfella
30 May 12,, 12:58
BTW, what happened with all the cool flags bellow profiles?

Or we got under UN administration? :biggrin:

The New World Order continues apace.

Doktor
13 Jul 13,, 23:12
Now the Banner is gone, too?

Edit. The one with the Globe and "World Affairs Board", placed top left.

TopHatter
14 Jul 13,, 00:29
Now the Banner is gone, too?

Edit. The one with the Globe and "World Affairs Board", placed top left.

Should still be there...although there are reports of it missing.

I'm on the latest Chrome and WAB is purring away as usual. What browser are you using?

Minskaya
14 Jul 13,, 09:22
I'm on the latest Chrome and WAB is purring away as usual. What browser are you using?
I also use the latest version of Chrome. The WAB logo in the top header is a broken image...

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/members/minskaya-albums-minskaya-picture33358-brokenlogo1.jpg

kato
14 Jul 13,, 09:47
I use Firefox and i get The Globe.

Minskaya
14 Jul 13,, 09:53
I also checked using Internet Explorer 10. Same result. The logo is a broken image.

Doktor
14 Jul 13,, 11:41
TH, kato,

Could be the file is in your cache. Asty can check if the file is still on the server.

However, the link is working.

tankie
14 Jul 13,, 13:46
I also use the latest version of Chrome. The WAB logo in the top header is a broken image...

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/members/minskaya-albums-minskaya-picture33358-brokenlogo1.jpg
Im on chrome and thats the logo I see .

kato
15 Jul 13,, 06:18
Asty can check if the file is still on the server.
Considering the file is located on imageshack he can't ;)

Parihaka
15 Jul 13,, 06:45
What in gods name is (or was) it doing on imageshack?

Doktor
15 Jul 13,, 10:53
It's still there. Just now I can see it.

tankie
15 Jul 13,, 19:57
alls ok , i can see my world now :biggrin:

tankie
15 Jul 13,, 23:25
ooooops , wrong , its gorrrrn

Doktor
16 Jul 13,, 00:48
Now you see it...

tankie
16 Jul 13,, 10:41
yup , its back

Minskaya
16 Jul 13,, 20:38
Now you see it...
Now I don't.

I believe the problem has been identified, now it's just a matter of getting someone with server permissions to change a few things.

Julie
19 Jul 13,, 05:25
Now I don't.

I believe the problem has been identified, now it's just a matter of getting someone with server permissions to change a few things.There is also something else going on. When you go to the "who's online" page, you see either they are viewing the board in general, and the rest of them viewing an attachment with an error message. Mods might not get this same result. I dunno.

Doktor
23 Jul 13,, 00:24
Still not one of the mods moved the pic to the WAB server?:confused:

Minskaya
23 Jul 13,, 22:07
Still not one of the mods moved the pic to the WAB server?:confused:
Server access (not to be confused with Admin Panel or Mod Panel) requires special permissions. I have no idea if anyone here has been granted such permissions by the board owners.

Doktor
23 Jul 13,, 22:09
Gotya. Thought maybe Asty will be able.

tankie
19 Sep 13,, 12:03
Help im being logged out every time i try to post ( yella , i re'sign in to post ):tongue: or view a topic , :mad:

Minskaya
19 Sep 13,, 12:15
Help im being logged out every time i try to post ( yella , i re'sign in to post ):tongue: or view a topic , :mad:
tankie... I'll make sure that Asty sees this.

JAD_333
19 Sep 13,, 14:19
reboot, check your ad blocker..and wait for mini to get a hold of Asty...:)

astralis
19 Sep 13,, 14:41
well, if anyone has any technical advice on what to do, i'm all ears. i just checked tankie's permissions and he looks the same.

Doktor
19 Sep 13,, 14:42
Yella has issues. Tankie is just forwarding.

Or check if the Col has hacked his account :biggrin:

Doktor
19 Sep 13,, 14:43
Now I don't.

I believe the problem has been identified, now it's just a matter of getting someone with server permissions to change a few things.

Still the same for me.

tankie
20 Sep 13,, 13:52
Thats fkin it , 15 minutes composing a thread , press post , fkin logged out .bollox

Doktor
20 Sep 13,, 14:05
Thats fkin it , 15 minutes composing a thread , press post , fkin logged out .bollox

After typing for whatever minutes, press Ctrl+A (Select all), then Ctrl+C (copy).

If it logs you out, later just press Ctrl+V (Paste).

It will help you see if your session timed out or your posting privileges are mixed up.

tankie
20 Sep 13,, 17:43
Thank you :wors:

Minskaya
20 Sep 13,, 19:20
tankie - When you log in, make sure you tick the 'Remember Me?' box.

If you don't do this, you will only receive a bb_sessionhash cookie and will be logged out when the Session Timeout setting expires.

When you do tick the 'Remember Me?' box, additional cookies (bb_userid/bb_password) are set which will allow a new session to be auto-created after the initial Session Timeout expires.

tankie
20 Sep 13,, 19:27
Danke

Minskaya
02 Oct 13,, 09:41
The WAB icon is also a broken image when viewing on a mobile device

Doktor
02 Oct 13,, 09:47
You mean also, as in with the PC version?

I got used to it.

Minskaya
02 Oct 13,, 09:50
You mean also, as in with the PC version?

I got used to it.
I have found that the WAB icon is visible when signed-in (PC/Mobile), but it is broken when not signed-in and simply viewing the board.

Doktor
02 Oct 13,, 10:29
I have found that the WAB icon is visible when signed-in (PC/Mobile), but it is broken when not signed-in and simply viewing the board.

I am always viewing the WAB logged in. It auto logs.

Must be my browser is playing games then.

While we are at it, the Calendar is stuck in December 2012.

Minskaya
03 Oct 13,, 09:58
I've tried it on PC, Android, and iPad. Consistent results all around.

Doktor
03 Oct 13,, 10:01
I've tried it on PC, Android, and iPad. Consistent results all around.

Same for me. No image :biggrin:

Time to clear cache.

What about the Calendar?

Doktor
29 Oct 13,, 12:24
This morning I was getting a message that the DB is damaged.

Was it only me?

Oracle
29 Oct 13,, 12:48
This morning I was getting a message that the DB is damaged.

Was it only me?

Me too, Dok.

Minnie, the WAB icon is missing for me too, from my personal laptop (chrome & mozilla).

tankie
29 Oct 13,, 14:14

Doktor
05 Jul 14,, 08:39
Not only that the WAB logo is not showing, but now very often I get message that the server is busy?!

Anybody else having the same issue?

And guys, please don't get the logo back, I will be confused when I see it.

bolo121
05 Jul 14,, 09:23
yes to both problems.
have not seen the wab logo for months.
The server busy message is a random thing every few days

Oracle
05 Jul 14,, 11:27
Server busy message is I guess an everyday occurrence. Happens around 11:00 AM Indian Standard Time. Maintenance?