PDA

View Full Version : The mighty GAU-8/A Avenger!!!

Bill
03 Oct 03,, 07:22
http://community.webshots.com/s/image6/9/57/37/93095737AgLlaw_ph.jpg

Way cool pic

(You may have to cut and paste to your browser)

Ironduke
03 Oct 03,, 14:37
Just DL it and attach it :)

TopHatter
03 Oct 03,, 15:40
*sigh* My first love...:wub
Seeing a picture of that massive rotary cannon when I was a kid...I was sold! Between the battleship and the A-10, I developed a love of big, tough, brutish looking war machines when I was a kid. (I'm sure Freud would say something about that :ermm )

Bill
04 Oct 03,, 04:13
Freud was a coked out nut case himself. I wouldn't worry too much what his opinion was on most matters. ;)

Praxus
04 Oct 03,, 14:09
I'm sure Freud would say something about that

Sigmond Freud said this "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

The Chap
31 Dec 04,, 06:18
Snipe Sir,
The idea of plonking that on a tank I suggested? Might need a bigger turret :redface: ;)

Terran empire
31 Dec 04,, 06:49
Ahh the avenger Cannon Brought to you by GE
General Electric "we Bring good things to life.." :biggrin:

the A-10 is the closest damn thing to a force of nature in fire power with out going Nuclear or Moab

Bluesman
31 Dec 04,, 06:55
I went through survival skool with a Louisiana ANG A-10 pilot. I asked him what he thought of his airplane.

He said, "Right out of UPT, I thought I wanted to fly zippy go-fast fighters, and I was REALLY disappointed when I got assigned the A-10. Sub-mach, low altitude, ugly...But then I took it to the range, and fired the gun for the first time. I don't want to fly nothin' else now." :cool:

Bill
31 Dec 04,, 08:10
Chap good buddy, the GAU-8/A would fit pretty easily in the existing turret of the M-1. A 120mm Rheinmetal gun is pretty stankin' big too, lol. ;)

Bluesman
31 Dec 04,, 11:05
Y'all just KNOW some big-brain engineer has already thought of doing that. Not sure if it's been tried yet, but if it HAS...wouldn't you LOVE to read the report? To watch the video? :cool:

Bill
31 Dec 04,, 19:51
Man, i'd love to see that video. :)

Terran empire
02 Jan 05,, 12:14
Man, i'd love to see that video. :)
a ultra gas and ammo hog!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Who the heck wouldn't want to see that vid?
they would have to modify the turret to fire for any real length of time, but Damn the ULTIMATE in automatic ground fire!!

Bill
03 Jan 05,, 02:05
A single ammo drum holds 1167rds(if memory serves correctly), which is enough for about 18 1 second bursts.

I imagine that because you'd lose the neccesity for the loader, and with the vacated main ammunition storage free for 30mm ammo, that 3 such drums could be accomodated pretty easily.

What you'd want is a taller turret though, so that you could have more main gun elevation.

The Chap
04 Jan 05,, 23:54
A single ammo drum holds 1167rds(if memory serves correctly), which is enough for about 18 1 second bursts.

I imagine that because you'd lose the neccesity for the loader, and with the vacated main ammunition storage free for 30mm ammo, that 3 such drums could be accomodated pretty easily.

What you'd want is a taller turret though, so that you could have more main gun elevation.

Having gone back and done some homework, I think 3 drums as well. Assuming the cooling problem could be tackled - maybe with vanes inside? - a minute of that would make any foes bowels turn to liquid: and that's just thinking of it.
Guys. Look at y'watch and count it down. :eek:

Bill
06 Jan 05,, 00:57
Well you wouldn't just spray off a whole drum at once. A 2 second burst from an A-10 will kill any tank in existence. ;)

platinum786
19 Jan 05,, 14:54
really u think so?

But what is the range of that gun?

If a tank can hit u first......

Bill
19 Jan 05,, 18:13
The range of the GAU-8/A avenger depends on the ammunition used, and the platform.

In an A-10 with PGU-14 HVAPDU rounds it's about 2 miles.