Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romney's VP pick, the Freshman class, & will the GOP get a new Speaker of the House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romney's VP pick, the Freshman class, & will the GOP get a new Speaker of the House?

Any predictions on who the presumptive Republican presidential nominee will pick as his Vice Presidential running mate and will it be a Palin-style game changer?

And after the elections are over will Boehner keep his Speaker of the House position?

Here is an interesting article about the GOP Freshman Class

WashingtonPost

I'd really like to see Chris Christie get tapped for it. My gut tells me it'll go to someone more photogenic and better able to demographically/geographically balance the ticket, though.
    "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

I would love it if Christie were picked as VP. He's a straight-talking genius.
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

"Veepstakes: Like A Dare Nobody Wants To Take"

Jon Stewart considers Mitt Romney’s potential VP picks | TPM2012

Watch the video. It's good. ;)

Comment

I like Christie's style, but I don't really know his politics.

-dale

Comment

It was funny watching the Michelle Bachmann and Rick Santorum interviews in the last few days where they were asked specifically if they were endorsing Mitt Romney for President. It was like pulling teeth. And even after several minutes of back-and-forth between them and the show host they still couldn't bring themselves to confessing an endorsement. Nobody wants to be his VP, few even want to endorse him. They can't even unite their own party even at this stage in the process. LMAO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg4xU9pEXTM

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...e-mitt-romney/
            Last edited by dmwnc1959; 26 Apr 12,, 05:52.

Comment

Picking a Veep in a Post-Palin World

CLICK HERE

"The shadow of Palin looms large… Robert Costa: “Many senior Republican politicos, including some who were burned by the Palin backlash, are now urging Mitt Romney to consider inside-the-Beltway experience as a plus rather than a minus as he mulls his veep pick. Mild-mannered federal lawmakers with long résumés are in; fiery rising stars are out.”

Costa writes that names repeatedly mentioned are Rob Portman and Mitch Daniels, though Daniels has had pretty tough things to say about Romney."

Comment

I wonder if Paul is an option. Significant libertarian vote + disillusioned Democrat vote there. Not to mention the Paul-voter-base is extremely energized.
                "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
                  I wonder if Paul is an option. Significant libertarian vote + disillusioned Democrat vote there. Not to mention the Paul-voter-base is extremely energized.
                  No. Catering to the Paulians would alienate too large a bloc of Republican and moderate votes.

-dale

Comment

How about JEB BUSH? That'll get some Republicans licking their chops...;)

Comment

Originally posted by dmwnc1959 View Post
                      How about JEB BUSH? That'll get some Republicans licking their chops...;)
                      No. Mitt needs to pick someone who will fire up the GOP, but also attract independents and democrats who are sick of Barry/Barrack. It's still too soon for Jeb.
                      "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Comment

It was different with McCain/Palin - many people were concerned about McCain dying in office - Mitt looks healthy - not much worry about him dying soon.

A good VP could help, but this situation isn't - his fellow Republicains refusing to take the job.

A vote for Paul isn't going to get him in - it will just help get one of the other guys get in - its an act of frustration.
                        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                          A good VP could help, but this situation isn't - his fellow Republicains refusing to take the job.

Comment

My (likely flawed) understanding is that Paul is not aiming for a spot on the ticket but for a key note speech during the convention.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
                              Almost as stupid an idea as picking Palin. At best Paul only loses Romney as many nominally GOP voters as he wins. At worst he is a drag even on home turf. His supposed appeal to dissolusioned Democrats is a Paulite fantasy. Past statements on race and his attitude toward reforming government will make him a millstone with that constituency.

Romney can win this year and an intelligent VP pick will make that more likely. PIcking Ron Paul will make that less likely.
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                              X