If you could go back in time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could go back in time...

If you could go back in time, to any battle in history, or perhaps just one in WWII, where would you go? Assume that you would arrive in time as a known figure, a middle to senior NCO or perhaps a junior officer. You would have full knowledge of both the present day in 2003 and the time period you have chosen. You would know all of the men serving with you and all knowledge appropriate to your rank and specialty. Why did you choose this time period and battle? What would you do? Be aware that you are not invincible and that a stray bullet could end your life forever. Would you even choose to go back in time, or would you stay in 2003?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

I'd want to be Eisenhower in WWII, cause to the best of my knowledge, he never got shot at once.... ;)

ACTUALLY, if i have to pick a conflict where i was being shot at(i have a huge aversion to the sensation of incoming fire), i would say it would be the charge on San Juan Hill, fighting alongside Teddy Roosevelt and the rest of the rough riders.

If i could just select a battle to be an (invincible) observer, it would be the night action at Sabato(?) island in the Pacific during WWII.

Comment

Most: Cosair Pilot in the Pacific (WWII).

Least: Tanker in any tank in Europe (WWII)...
      Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

I think I would like to be a Chief Gunner's Mate on a battleship at Pearl Harbor, perhaps USS Maryland or USS Tennessee. That's right, I really don't want to die so I'm picking a "safe" battleship. As George Patton said, our job to make some other poor bastard die for his country.
        Since nothing I could do will alter the course of history (who would believe me?) I think I would just fight as hard as I could, exhort my men to keep the guns going and afterwards, help rescue the guys from Arizona, West Virginia and Oklahoma.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Crusader sack of Constantinople, 1205. I would try to stop it. :)
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Charles (the hammer) Martel

October, 732AD Tours (the battle of Poitiers)

Charles met the Moslem, Abd-er-Rahman, and killed him in battle. Thereafter, Islam advanced no farther. It may be said that upon the outcome of this battle rested the survival of Christian Civilzation, for no one stood between Islam and the rest of Europe, had the Hammer failed to win the day.

Martel was probably a vicious b#stard, but he saved the world, in a sense.
            sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

And delivered it from one set of religious zealots to another...

Comment

Point taken.

However...

Civilzation evolved in the Christian west, we are the proof of that.

It didn't go anywhere in the Moslem east, the whole freakin' middle east is proof of THAT.
                sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

LOL, Touche' ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ironman420
                    Crusader sack of Constantinople, 1205. I would try to stop it. :)
                    The Crusades might be a place to want to travel back in time to.

The Crusaders sacking of Jerusalem. Which turned into a sacking of everyone & everything in the city. Muslim, Jew, and Christians they were there to save.

Or maybe the battles somewhere, sometime during the crusades. Against either side.

If Jerusalem's retaking was the norm of European behavior. Then they were definately in the wrong in that conflict.

Then again. Saladin Ayubah was said to be such a great warrior. It might of been interesting to wade through one of the battles. For a chance to go sword to sword with him.

Hope there wouldn't be a penalty for changing history like that.

Such as defeating him in battle. Parry a sword swing, kick to the floating ribs, no less than two kcks to the face.

Or summarily taking him down. Would that necessarily be a good thing?

Comment

Another stunning battle to be a part of would have been Angincourt. Such a stunning amount of dead French guys. If you could try to put a stop to something though it would have to be the burning of the Library at Alexandria. It has got to be by far the grossest display of needless destruction and recklessness in history. IMHO
                      "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

There's a contradictory fact about Agincourt, the amount of ransom demanded and paid does not match the number of French survivors. That essentially meant that there was a big exeggeration of French killed.

Comment

Oh yeah. What better than to organise an Army to travel back in time, with the mission of holding off those that burned the Library at Alexandria, until the books were moved somewhere safe.

Comment

I would like to have been an invincible observer at the Battle of Varus, Battle of Thermopylae, and when the Germanic Tribes Sacked Rome.

Comment

I just changed my vote. Me & 6 other guys on the roof of the Library at Alexandria. With Barrett M82's.
                              sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X