Brooklyn thoughts lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooklyn thoughts lately

I have took a walk today and some every other day. There seems a lot more commercial space available for retail stores and whatnot. More are going out of business or moving to diff locations, (more than usual). Large chains are on a stampede to open stuff in decent locations but the overall organic businesses are slowly closing (clothes stores, the occasional pharmacy, karate places, and a few others like restaurants, furniture shops, and other places).
    To me it just seems more empty commercial space than usual.

Still sporadically looking for work should apply more but not much feedback other than the occasional 'thank you' letter.

Noticed a lot more startups in the food space (or perhaps haven't looked there before) was rumbling through goodfoodjobs.com and looking at various things. Lots of attempts at overpriced niche foci [ergo high price, high quality-or supposed high quality market focus], quiet a few chocolate companies (which I think is a good idea) but also others that to me seem less likely to succeed but still could like a ketchup startup.

If anyone got any interesting startup news sites or general niche sites I am fairly interested. I usually look at startuply and lately have been looking less. Periodically I look at chocolatelife and whatnot but only for know how info.

In the (99cent) store the excess inventory of various makers of chocolatery from hershey to goldbergs peanut chews, and nestle stuff there seems an overabundance of 'excess' inventory that is close to expiration due to people cutting down consumption. (ergo my feeling is the holiday sales cumulatively from last year to this year did not unload inventory enough and there needed to be a discharge).

The coolest startup I found thus far was one that made gum (glee gum) which I found extremely interesting. My guess is it will be severely successful or is already. Unless the gum tastes crappy which could be no idea.

Not as cynical as before and finally finished school so no more of that at least. Did get my degree a few months off (or a year) due to technicalities and me being incompetent in assuming things should automatically resolve in my favor.

Sites of interest for fun
    The Chocolate Life - Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!
    Global beverage / drinks industry business news, information, insight and market research services
    Food Ingredients - Yeast, Sweeteners, Food fibers, Flavors(good sections from food to beverages, ind news)
    Non-alcoholic News - Drinks Business Review
    The most insightful comment I read thus far was on seekingalpha where one person basically said that it is funny that alcohol producers are touting Asia and Mid-East for growth where most of the muslims do not drink and so do the hindus that are observant for the most part.
    Videos | BevNET.com : BevNET.com

I am actually more into chocolate than beverage if I were to start one but interesting things non the less to read about alcohol and non stuff.
    ThisWeekIn |  This Week In Startups(also interesting to watch some interviews on startup founders)

Suggestive Condiment Stickers - Spank Bottle Bottoms Simulate a Taut Tight End on Your Ketchup (GALLERY)
    Cool site overall.
    Find. Eat. Drink.

I think I like reading stuff than doing stuff.
    Originally from Sochi, Russia.
Working...
X