PDA

View Full Version : Any good SF drama recommendations?

Chogy
02 Dec 11,, 01:55
:fish: I grew up like many watching Star Trek in their various flavors, loved them all. I've recently watched some of the "Stargate" TV serials and have enjoyed them too.

Does anyone have any science fiction dramas (such as cable TV series) that they really enjoyed and can recommend? It's hard to find good ones that don't delve too far into fantasy. One more talking dragon and I'm going to hurl. :cool:

Thanks!

Stitch
02 Dec 11,, 02:02
My wife LOVES the Battlestar Gallactica re-boot; I'm not it's biggest fan, but it's definitely a lot more intellectual than the original '70's version, and I have to admit it is a very well-done series. I would say try the intial BSG three-hour miniseries on DVD and see if you like it. The Cylons are DEFINITELY not the original mechanical robots they were in the original version, they're much more complicated. Sounds like this might be right up your alley.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Miniseries,_Night_1

Tarek Morgen
02 Dec 11,, 02:08
There is a lack of good modern Science Fiction (on the big and small screen)(

I liked Babylon 5 when I was young (which is not to say that I would not liek it anymore, I just have not seen it in ages and don't know how well it'll hold up).
Then there is of course Doctor Who..but it is not really hard on the "science" part. I don't remember any talking dragons but considering that it aired for decades I can't make any promises.

I guess they don't air Space Patroul Orion in the States (or even ever heard of it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=WKePj2A6yWA

Genosaurer
02 Dec 11,, 03:14
If you like Star Trek, you'd probably like Andromeda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_%28TV_series%29) as the two shows have a lot of similarities. Also, it has Hercules.

...and Lexa Doig. (Where's a drooling emote when I need one?)

Though, fair warning, the show changed writers after the end of its second season, and pretty quickly went downhill from there.

NUS
02 Dec 11,, 07:24
Finding a good SiFi has become a problem in out times. :frown: All the good ones were canceled!

Watch "Firefly" (if you havent already) - it was canceled after season one, but it's still brilliant.

"Event" is nice, but it is more for detective and conspiracy fans then SiFi. Still worth watching comaping with other modern shows. (Canceled, so don't expect much from the finale episode.)

"FlashForward" has a promising beginning, but very fast ending becouse it was canceled too!

I like "Fringe" a lot, but it's not about space and more like improved X-Files - without ghosts and more SiFi.

Shows like Andromeda, Farscape or Stargate are too similar and boring for me. Same with Terra Nova - too many cliches - it is in fact same as Lost but with dinosaurus.

Hope it helps. :)

Edit: Oh, i forgot "Lexx"! Totally crazy and lunatic but strangly charming.

Edit 2: "V" is interesting if you like visual effects and pretty women. But boring if you don't.

ArmchairGeneral
02 Dec 11,, 08:52
Second Firefly.

Also third Firefly.

And fourth.

The new BSG's not bad, though a bit heavy handed with the angst and drama.

I wanted to like Babylon 5 because it sometimes took physics seriously, but I found it boring. And they didn't take biology seriously at all.

I've heard good things about Farscape, watched a few episodes, didn't get into it, but wasn't turned off either. May watch more someday.

Cowboy Bebop is an anime show with a pretty well imagined future, harder sci fi than most live action shows. Well done sci fi noir. Also, the music is freakin' awesome. I'm not a fan of anime in general, but this is pretty quality. Note: animated, but not child friendly.

And to get even further off the beaten path, one of the best hardish SF serials I've come across isn't a TV show at all, it's a webcomic. Don't laugh.

Schlock Mercenary - The Comic Space Opera by Howard Tayler (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/)

Art starts out terrible, gets better. Humor starts out good, gets better. Story starts out non-existent, gets relatively epic.

Very well imagined far future universe, better aliens than any TV show and most books, lots of fun details.

Also, fifth Firefly. Funny, and quite simply outstanding characterization. Not the most detailed and consistent universe ever, just lightly sketched in for the most part, but enough atmosphere to immerse you in the story without distracting from the show's strengths.

IMHO, one of the best TV shows of the past decade.

bigross86
02 Dec 11,, 10:47
Firefly!!! And then watch Serenity, the movie continuation of the series. One of the best shows I've ever seen

USSWisconsin
02 Dec 11,, 14:37
An often overlooked Star Trek series, Enterprise, is very good, it takes a little getting used to just like TNG, DS9 and Voyager did, but they are all very good. TNG, DS9 and Voyager each had seven seasons, Enterprise had only four (The Original Star Trek had only three, but there were the movies too). Enterprise was pre Star Fleet, so it had a different back drop, which took some getting used to after four series with Star Fleet). Voyager was different too, both Capt. Janeway and the mission were quite unusual for Star Trek - but I grew to appreciate the differences after watching a whole season (same with DS9). I still like B5, I think it had a more impressive story arc, the Star Trek series were more detailed and their universes didn't undergo such dramatic changes (a war with Earth...).

I like Firefly too, very different and very good - sad it had such a short run (one shortened season).

USSWisconsin
02 Dec 11,, 14:39
The new Dr Who series (all of them) are also very good.

Chogy
02 Dec 11,, 15:25
Good stuff and thanks for all the suggestions. I now have a list to check out.

I ignored Stargate for many years. Seemed a bit cheesy. The reality was different and it matured quite a bit into a respectable series. The last one, Stargate Universe, was the best but also the shortest. The storyline there was excellent - an ancient ship following a pre-programmed route through the universe with a handful of totally unqualified people stranded upon it, unable to get home. Kind of a galactic "Gilligan's Island." A return home seems imminent on many occasions, but no dice.

I enjoyed Jericho while it lasted. While not Sci fi, it was a well made survival story.

bolo121
02 Dec 11,, 19:01
Second Firefly.

Also third Firefly.

And fourth.

The new BSG's not bad, though a bit heavy handed with the angst and drama.

I wanted to like Babylon 5 because it sometimes took physics seriously, but I found it boring. And they didn't take biology seriously at all.

I've heard good things about Farscape, watched a few episodes, didn't get into it, but wasn't turned off either. May watch more someday.

Cowboy Bebop is an anime show with a pretty well imagined future, harder sci fi than most live action shows. Well done sci fi noir. Also, the music is freakin' awesome. I'm not a fan of anime in general, but this is pretty quality. Note: animated, but not child friendly.

And to get even further off the beaten path, one of the best hardish SF serials I've come across isn't a TV show at all, it's a webcomic. Don't laugh.

Schlock Mercenary - The Comic Space Opera by Howard Tayler (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/)

Art starts out terrible, gets better. Humor starts out good, gets better. Story starts out non-existent, gets relatively epic.

Very well imagined far future universe, better aliens than any TV show and most books, lots of fun details.

Also, fifth Firefly. Funny, and quite simply outstanding characterization. Not the most detailed and consistent universe ever, just lightly sketched in for the most part, but enough atmosphere to immerse you in the story without distracting from the show's strengths.

IMHO, one of the best TV shows of the past decade.

Hey another Schlock Fan! Ive been a devoted follower for years.
The first time i saw a plasgun comic with Ominous Hummm I was hooked.

bigross86
02 Dec 11,, 19:26
Jericho was great, it's a shame it was cancelled. V was so-so, first season was great the second season kinda petered out before it was also cancelled.

If you want something old school, might I recommend Sliders?

Mihais
02 Dec 11,, 19:36
Jericho was great, it's a shame it was cancelled.

PRobably canceled because it had an ominous resemblence with a possible reality? :whome:

gunnut
02 Dec 11,, 20:46
Firefly was one of the best sci fi shows ever. Just like all great sci fi shows, it was canceled before its time. And of course Morena Baccarin was hawt!

Stargate seasons 1 through 7 were great. I have DVDs of seasons 1-8, and 10 (just for Morena Baccarin because she was hawt!).

Eureka is a fun show. Very light hearted with near zero drama, which is what I prefer.

The X-Files, if you haven't seen it, was great from season 1 through 7. I don't have any of the DVDs because Morean Baccarin wasn't in it.

Haven is a pretty good show, very X-file-esque. Emily Rose is hot, not Morea Baccarin hawt but a very different flavor.

Warehouse 13 is an interesting concept. It's almost like the old "Friday the 13th, the series" years ago.

Of course there's the British classic, Doctor Who. It has an entirely different style of imagination than American sci fi shows.

Here's an old (maybe 9 years ago?) show called "Special Unit 2." It's a parody show making fun of the X-files and vampires. It ran for 2 half seasons on UPN way back then. Syfy channel occasionally runs this show during the day. I would buy the DVD set if it was ever released, even without Morena Baccarin in the show.

I know, someone will ask if I have seen the new "V" since Morena Baccarin was in it. No, I haven't. She chopped her hair in that show.

astralis
02 Dec 11,, 20:54
serenity was funny. however, the choppy attempts at chinese used by everyone started to grate against my ears after a while.

gunnut
02 Dec 11,, 21:00
serenity was funny. however, the choppy attempts at chinese used by everyone started to grate against my ears after a while.

:biggrin:

But Chogy won't care...

bigross86
02 Dec 11,, 21:08
I didn't care either. I think I'm gonna watch Firefly again once I finish re-watching all 11 seasons of Married with Children

gunnut
02 Dec 11,, 21:36
I didn't care either. I think I'm gonna watch Firefly again once I finish re-watching all 11 seasons of Married with Children

Married w/ Children, a modern day classic. I have DVDs from season 6 to 11. Al Bundy is the hero of every average Joe in the world.

ArmchairGeneral
02 Dec 11,, 21:38
hey another schlock fan! Ive been a devoted follower for years.
The first time i saw a plasgun comic with ominous hummm i was hooked.

OVERTHOOM.

Added to allow all caps. Stupid censor.

bigross86
02 Dec 11,, 21:45
Married w/ Children, a modern day classic. I have DVDs from season 6 to 11. Al Bundy is the hero of every average Joe in the world.

In the middle of season 2 and loving every second. My dad would watch when I was 5 or 6 and I used to keep trying to sneak into the basement and watch on the other TV. I was fascinated by this show I didn't understand and wasn't allowed to watch.

Then there were reruns during my teen years, but I never actually watched it properly.

YellowFever
02 Dec 11,, 22:10
Wait.....what?

Why weren't you allow to watch Married /w Children?

bigross86
02 Dec 11,, 22:43
Apparently some of the content is not suitable for little children...

gunnut
02 Dec 11,, 22:56
Apparently some of the content is not suitable for little children...

That's right. Married w/ Children should be for late teens and up only. Even they will not get some of the humor. At least making fun of fat women and the worship of tatas would be more appropriate humor for late teens.

USSWisconsin
02 Dec 11,, 23:12
Remember how excited Al was about his new issue of Big'un's:biggrin:

BD1
02 Dec 11,, 23:15
no MAŽAM!

bigross86
02 Dec 11,, 23:20
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ri03_al-bundy-fights-at-the-nudie-bar_fun

Tarek Morgen
02 Dec 11,, 23:34
That's right. Married w/ Children should be for late teens and up only. Even they will not get some of the humor. At least making fun of fat women and the worship of tatas would be more appropriate humor for late teens.

Here the show is rated for age 6 and older. IIRC that was also the age I started watching it.

Doktor
02 Dec 11,, 23:39
IIRC, It was for all audiences here. Kids must learn how to extort money from the father. Dogs, too.

YellowFever
02 Dec 11,, 23:42
chogy's not gonna be happy when he signs on and sees that his sci fi drama thread has turned into an Al Bundy appreciation thread.... :biggrin:

Tarek Morgen
02 Dec 11,, 23:45
Well I think there was one episode where he encoutered alien which were stealing his socks.

Looked a bit at whatever new scifi shows might be airing soon, among them:

A new Battlestar show (prequel of the old one, well the new old one, playing during the first cyclon war)

And a superhero show (does that count as scifi?) about a comic hero called Booster Gold.

...that..seems to be all.

bigross86
02 Dec 11,, 23:51
Let's not also forget that my parents are both religious. That was also probably a driving factor...

YellowFever
02 Dec 11,, 23:53
Watched BSG to the end but will not invest the time to watch the new one as it left me with a vey bad after taste.

If Ron Moore is not involved, might give it a try.

Booster Gold is an old comic character from DC Comics.

The comic sucked so I'm not anticipating it that much. :frown:

What I need is for someone to remake "Robotech-Macross Saga" or "Star Blazers".

Fat chance of that happening....

Tarek Morgen
02 Dec 11,, 23:59
What I need is for someone to remake "Robotech-Macross Saga" or "Star Blazers".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N0Mf3M7io8

bigross86
03 Dec 11,, 00:01
Dude, what the hell was that?!

Doktor
03 Dec 11,, 00:04
Japanese missing Godzilla

Tarek Morgen
03 Dec 11,, 00:05
It is based on an old japanese cartoon where, after most of earth has been destroyed by an hostile alien race, the WWII battleship Yamate gets turned into a spaceship to breakthrough the enemy lines to find another alienrace which promised earth technology that would save their planet. This is were someone usually says "it makes sense in context"..but..I dont think it would apply here. In the US this was known as Star Blazzers.

The show has been accused of being nothing much more than japanese wish fulfilment wrt to the second world war.

ArtyEngineer
03 Dec 11,, 00:09
Im surprised Space Above and Beyond hasnt got a mention yet you can get teh complete series in Bestbuy at teh moment for about $19. Only lasted one short season but I absolutely loved the show.

I am also surprised Farscape hasnt got a mention. It took a while to grow on me but by the end I was watching it religiously.

Regards

Arty

YellowFever
03 Dec 11,, 00:11
Umm......no.

I um downloaded that movie and watched the first ten minutes and deleted it.

It sucked bad.

I'm hoping for an American remake as Japanese movie produtcion value is somewhere below old Soviet Union's..

Tarek Morgen
03 Dec 11,, 00:19
Well there would also be the upcoming Iron Sky. A Finnish Scifi Comedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLPlpk6APQA&feature=related

YellowFever
03 Dec 11,, 00:48
BTW.....

anybody know anything more about this movie?

Set to release in the states on Christmas but don't know if it's a Russian movie or a film shot in Russia... :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUznviXV-U8

Doktor
03 Dec 11,, 01:03
imdb says it is US movie, English language, happening in Moscow.

The Darkest Hour (2011) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/)

USSWisconsin
03 Dec 11,, 01:04
The space battleship movie is so bad that its good... Sometimes a silly movie is just the thing, and its so heroic :biggrin:
The soundtrack reminds me of that mournful Soviet choral music, so sad and purposeful...

gunnut
03 Dec 11,, 01:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N0Mf3M7io8

Oh my god that brings back memories.

I grew up watching The Yamato.

I just finished watching series 1, 2, and the next 2 mini series....again.

Now I have to watch this one. :biggrin:

YellowFever
03 Dec 11,, 03:55
Oh my god that brings back memories.

I grew up watching The Yamato.

I just finished watching series 1, 2, and the next 2 mini series....again.

Now I have to watch this one. :biggrin:

Don't bother, dude.

By the end of the first ten minutes, I was hoping they would revert to form and was wishing for horny monsters with alot of tentacles.....

Blue
03 Dec 11,, 06:01
Firefly was one of the best sci fi shows ever. Just like all great sci fi shows, it was canceled before its time. And of course Morena Baccarin was hawt!

Stargate seasons 1 through 7 were great. I have DVDs of seasons 1-8, and 10 (just for Morena Baccarin because she was hawt!).

Eureka is a fun show. Very light hearted with near zero drama, which is what I prefer.

The X-Files, if you haven't seen it, was great from season 1 through 7. I don't have any of the DVDs because Morean Baccarin wasn't in it.

Haven is a pretty good show, very X-file-esque. Emily Rose is hot, not Morea Baccarin hawt but a very different flavor.

Warehouse 13 is an interesting concept. It's almost like the old "Friday the 13th, the series" years ago.

Of course there's the British classic, Doctor Who. It has an entirely different style of imagination than American sci fi shows.

Here's an old (maybe 9 years ago?) show called "Special Unit 2." It's a parody show making fun of the X-files and vampires. It ran for 2 half seasons on UPN way back then. Syfy channel occasionally runs this show during the day. I would buy the DVD set if it was ever released, even without Morena Baccarin in the show.

I know, someone will ask if I have seen the new "V" since Morena Baccarin was in it. No, I haven't. She chopped her hair in that show.

My sci-fi brother from another mother!!! Ditto!!

serenity was funny. however, the choppy attempts at chinese used by everyone started to grate against my ears after a while. You should watch the whole series and you would understand how that language came about.

Damn sci-fi cherries!!:rolleyes: Its not supposed to be proper chinese.:slap:

Blue
03 Dec 11,, 06:22
How the hell did Al Bundy get even a mention in a sci-fi thread. Geez we need some standards and practices here, not to mention some effin decorum!
:confu:

Bigfella
03 Dec 11,, 07:00
Chogy,

Ok, the best ever sci-fi series isn't actually up for debate - it is Blake's 7. A BBC production from the late 70s, it was written by Terry Nation - creator of the Daleks. It was adult Sci-fi made at a time when that dort of thing was rare. The characters are flawed, the bad guys are truly bad (and one of them pretty hot), the acting is good & the writing is top notch. Even the slightly dodgy last series is better than the best most people can do. Blakes 7 also has one of the truly great characters of TV - Kerr Avon, a sharp tongued genius who is slippery as a snake & is magnificently realised by Paul Darrow. It is worth watching just for his lines. I had such fond memories of watching it as a child that when I found that my local video store had them all on VHS I borroewd them & transferred them all to DVD at home. Gave copies to several friends. All can now be obtained on DVD. Chase this one down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHLU8fwi80

I am a Dr Who fanatic, so I am biased there. I have seen every episode that is still available for broadcast. The original BBC series was patchy & sometimes suffered from low budgets & being primarily a kids show. At its best, however, it beat all. As someone who eventually got frustrated with the 'too shiny, too repetitive' world of Star Trek (just how many times can holosuites malfunction that badly before you shut them down?) the quirky & flawed world of Dr Who is a crowning creation of the BBC. It is also worth remembering that writers like Terry Nation & Douglas Adams got a start there. The best episodes are the John Pertwee & Tom Baker ones, though all doctors have their moments (always rather fond of the grumpy first doctor).

In many ways the modern Dr Whos are even better. They are genuine adult drama & contain some absolutely stunning moments. You don't need to be a fan of the old series or even know it well to like & follow the new ones. There are also some wonderful 'in' jokes (the first 'new' doctor had a strong 'northern' accent - something which gets a comment in the first episode. In the old days the BBC severly limited the roles given to actors wiht those accents - usually villans & servants. One actor in the 80s was knocked back for a role because 'aliens don't have northern accents'). If you haven't seen these or have only seen a few, get the first series & work your way through. You won't be sorry.

In a similar vein, have a look at 'Torchwwod'. This was a spinoff of the new Dr who - sort of a reward for producer Russell T.Davies for his successful revival of Dr Who. It is set in his home town of Cardiff, Wales and is similar to the 'X-Files', but with a British twist. The third series is truly chilling (it is a single story) and the fourth has shifted to L.A. (to get funding). I have heard good things, but haven't seen it yet.

I loved Babylon 5. Perhaps it was because I was used to watching what I felt were repetitive plots & cardboard characters on Star Trek. B5 ran long, complex plot lines & genuinely developed its characters (well, mostly). Personally I enjoyed it. SOme people seemed not to like the special effects, but I can't say I was ever worried by that. Still think they look just fine for the purpose.

I have just watched the first 8 series of the X-Files. There is an element of diminishing returns, though even series 8 had moments. Unfortunately sereis nine was unecessary. I sort of feel like I should watch it, but lack much enthusiasm for the task.

I have also watched the first 3 series of Lexx. Mixed feelings about this one. The special effects were poor enough to irritate me (they needed to hire the BBC guys who did Dr Who in the 60s & 70s - they could do the most remarkable things on a tight budget). The writing & acting were also patchy for mine. I bailed on the 4th series after about 2 episodes, though I might try it again when i get bored.

Tarek Morgen
03 Dec 11,, 07:20
In many ways the modern Dr Whos are even better

I assume this does not include the movie, right? Regarding Torchwood..I only liked the third season. Gave the first two several tries..but it did just not work for me.

One thing I liked about Babylon 5 back then, that it had at elast a "hint" of physics. Human Ships needed rotation to simulate gravity, space ships had momentum during the dogfights and not every everyone could breath the same air. Just..avoid the attempted Spin Offs..

Bigfella
03 Dec 11,, 08:22
I assume this does not include the movie, right?

Do you mean the one with Eric Roberts & Paul McGann? I wasn't including that one, though I do have an odd sort of affection for it. Only for die hard fans, however.

Regarding Torchwood..I only liked the third season. Gave the first two several tries..but it did just not work for me.

OK, personal taste I suppose.

One thing I liked about Babylon 5 back then, that it had at elast a "hint" of physics. Human Ships needed rotation to simulate gravity, space ships had momentum during the dogfights and not every everyone could breath the same air. Just..avoid the attempted Spin Offs..

Yes, the lack of 'inertial dampeners' was nice. Somehow the 'hyperspace' travel (I don't recall the exact name) seemed less silly than just magicking away physics for convenience. I also liked that the sum total of difference between all species in the universe was more than just a bit of basic face makeup & plasticine. Not familiar with the spinoffs. Guess I'll keep it that way.

Tarek Morgen
03 Dec 11,, 08:55
Do you mean the one with Eric Roberts & Paul McGann? I wasn't including that one, though I do have an odd sort of affection for it. Only for die hard fans, however.

Eric Roberts was a decent Doctor, but the movie itself was just..bad. Than again he only had this one shot. ALL doctors had their bad episodes, so I don't really blame the 8th fir the shortcoming of the movie.

And while we are talking about the Doctor..the 11ths is ridiculous young, Amy is ridiculous hot and Rory is ridiculous awesome.

The B5 spin-offs are easy to avoid since they had a short lifespan than firefly.

bolo121
03 Dec 11,, 10:56
Hmmm Doctor Who is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

Initially it was pretty good Doctor (Tennant) and really irritating companion Rose

Now its rather annoying and ridiculously young doctor and very hot Amy Pond and pretty ok Rory

They need to replace that young lad with a better doctor

Speaking of the lack of any good new SF series , I would really like it if somebody took the Honor Harrington series, stripped out most of the dreck that david weber dumped into it and insert very cool space battles.

Bigfella
03 Dec 11,, 12:07
Eric Roberts was a decent Doctor, but the movie itself was just..bad. Than again he only had this one shot. ALL doctors had their bad episodes, so I don't really blame the 8th fir the shortcoming of the movie.

Eric Roberts was a decent Master - Moriarty to the Doctor's Holmes. Paul McGann was a wonderful doctor (he is usually wonderful). You are right, however, about the quality of the movie. I mainly like it for the casting of the protagonists.

And while we are talking about the Doctor..the 11ths is ridiculous young, Amy is ridiculous hot and Rory is ridiculous awesome.

Yeah, but somehow it all seems to work.

The B5 spin-offs are easy to avoid since they had a short lifespan than firefly.

Good to know.

Bigfella
03 Dec 11,, 12:13
Hmmm Doctor Who is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

Initially it was pretty good Doctor (Tennant) and really irritating companion Rose

Now its rather annoying and ridiculously young doctor and very hot Amy Pond and pretty ok Rory

They need to replace that young lad with a better doctor

Speaking of the lack of any good new SF series , I would really like it if somebody took the Honor Harrington series, stripped out most of the dreck that david weber dumped into it and insert very cool space battles.

You must have come in late Bolo. Christopher Eccelston was the first new doctor. He was a brilliant choice, I just wish he had done another series. Tennant was even better & set a standard that no one could easily meet. I actually like Matt Smith, but he will always suffer by comparison. I actually have a sense that the whole franchise is running out of steam a bit. The 'end of the world' situations are getting more bizarre & so are the means of resolving them. That might be to do with Russell T.Davies leaving or it might be just the series having been around for a while now. I'll be curious to see how the next series holds up.

bolo121
03 Dec 11,, 13:31
Actually i did watch the first season when it came out but i dont consider it when rating Doctor Who as Ecclestone had already stated that he wouldn't stick around.
I do agree that he would have been an excellent doctor if he had stuck around for another season.

And yeah the last season has been really crap. They have stretched things too much with far too many the world/galaxy/universe is doomed season end plotlines.
And the current Dr Song plotline with Amy pond being her mum and all is just too daytime soapish.

They really missed a great chance to recharge the series with the Gallifrey rises storyline. Instead of the bog standard time lords have gone bad thing, they should have made it all shades of gray.
Gallifrey gets to come back with some but not all of the nastiness of the time wars.
You could have so many different plotlines after that. Timothy Dalton would have been a really fun villan to have around.

Chogy
03 Dec 11,, 15:11
Yes, the lack of 'inertial dampeners' was nice. Somehow the 'hyperspace' travel (I don't recall the exact name) seemed less silly than just magicking away physics for convenience. I also liked that the sum total of difference between all species in the universe was more than just a bit of basic face makeup & plasticine. Not familiar with the spinoffs. Guess I'll keep it that way.

Interesting - to keep any science fiction series running on any sort of budget short of the U.S. national debt, certain presumptions are almost always made... and most people don't mind them, they understand the need for them.

* FTL travel is accomplished through sub or hyper space via some unknown mechanism. Or it is an instantaneous "jump" process through a wormhole, or similar.
* Aliens via the plasticine method is explained away as "Parallel evolution."
* Instantaneous communication across star systems is done through "subspace" on a number of shows.
* Crushing G-forces are tamed with inertial dampeners, and to avoid shooting thousands of zero-G sequences, ships have gravity plates.
* The language barrier is non-existent through translators, or it is simply ignored completely.
* Space battles have sound because silence is boring.

The Stargate series avoided many of these problems by simply having very few aliens. 98% of the off-world races they encounter are genetically human, humans stolen from earth thousands of years ago and used as seed stock on habitable worlds. To their credit, in Stargate Universe, when they were trapped hundreds of galaxies distant from earth, the aliens were all CG, well done, and totally non-human - some cool insectoid/amphibioid creatures.

To me, good sci fi needs above all else, good writing. It also needs grit and dirt. Stuff isn't always shiny and new. It needs heroes who are human and make mistakes.

But when, for the love of God, will they stop banking ships in space battles? ;)

Gun Grape
03 Dec 11,, 18:35
Don't bother, dude.

By the end of the first ten minutes, I was hoping they would revert to form and was wishing for horny monsters with alot of tentacles.....

Having lived in Japan for over 3 years, thats the sickest thing I've ever seen you post.

Gun Grape
03 Dec 11,, 18:43
Two of my favorite shows already mentioned. Dr Who and Torchwood.

They were showing the Torchwood series from the first season on BBC America. But it seems that the kind folks over there think we only need to see Hours and Hours of Top Gear and Gordon Ramsey reruns lately.

The Torchwood miniseries on Stars Channel over the summer "Torchwood Miracle Day" is what got me hooked on the franchise.

As for Dr Who. Yes Tennant was the best. But Matt Smith kind of grew on me. He seems to have more fun. As Bigfella mentioned. If I had never seen the Tennant episodes I would not have a problem with the current Dr.

Amy Pond is hot.

Rory sucks.

Chogy
04 Dec 11,, 02:26
I'm taking notes. I've started "Firefly" and like it so far, but am bummed that there is only one season's worth.

Keep 'em coming and thanks!

dave lukins
04 Dec 11,, 02:43
Don't bother, dude.

Having lived in Japan for over 3 years, thats the sickest thing I've ever seen you post.

What would your reaction be if he had said "too many testicles" :eek:

Stitch
04 Dec 11,, 03:01
Chogy,

Ok, the best ever sci-fi series isn't actually up for debate - it is Blake's 7. A BBC production from the late 70s, it was written by Terry Nation - creator of the Daleks. It was adult Sci-fi made at a time when that dort of thing was rare. The characters are flawed, the bad guys are truly bad (and one of them pretty hot), the acting is good & the writing is top notch. Even the slightly dodgy last series is better than the best most people can do. Blakes 7 also has one of the truly great characters of TV - Kerr Avon, a sharp tongued genius who is slippery as a snake & is magnificently realised by Paul Darrow. It is worth watching just for his lines. I had such fond memories of watching it as a child that when I found that my local video store had them all on VHS I borroewd them & transferred them all to DVD at home. Gave copies to several friends. All can now be obtained on DVD. Chase this one down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHLU8fwi80

I am a Dr Who fanatic, so I am biased there. I have seen every episode that is still available for broadcast. The original BBC series was patchy & sometimes suffered from low budgets & being primarily a kids show. At its best, however, it beat all. As someone who eventually got frustrated with the 'too shiny, too repetitive' world of Star Trek (just how many times can holosuites malfunction that badly before you shut them down?) the quirky & flawed world of Dr Who is a crowning creation of the BBC. It is also worth remembering that writers like Terry Nation & Douglas Adams got a start there. The best episodes are the John Pertwee & Tom Baker ones, though all doctors have their moments (always rather fond of the grumpy first doctor).

In many ways the modern Dr Whos are even better. They are genuine adult drama & contain some absolutely stunning moments. You don't need to be a fan of the old series or even know it well to like & follow the new ones. There are also some wonderful 'in' jokes (the first 'new' doctor had a strong 'northern' accent - something which gets a comment in the first episode. In the old days the BBC severly limited the roles given to actors wiht those accents - usually villans & servants. One actor in the 80s was knocked back for a role because 'aliens don't have northern accents'). If you haven't seen these or have only seen a few, get the first series & work your way through. You won't be sorry.

In a similar vein, have a look at 'Torchwwod'. This was a spinoff of the new Dr who - sort of a reward for producer Russell T.Davies for his successful revival of Dr Who. It is set in his home town of Cardiff, Wales and is similar to the 'X-Files', but with a British twist. The third series is truly chilling (it is a single story) and the fourth has shifted to L.A. (to get funding). I have heard good things, but haven't seen it yet.

I loved Babylon 5. Perhaps it was because I was used to watching what I felt were repetitive plots & cardboard characters on Star Trek. B5 ran long, complex plot lines & genuinely developed its characters (well, mostly). Personally I enjoyed it. SOme people seemed not to like the special effects, but I can't say I was ever worried by that. Still think they look just fine for the purpose.

I have just watched the first 8 series of the X-Files. There is an element of diminishing returns, though even series 8 had moments. Unfortunately sereis nine was unecessary. I sort of feel like I should watch it, but lack much enthusiasm for the task.

I have also watched the first 3 series of Lexx. Mixed feelings about this one. The special effects were poor enough to irritate me (they needed to hire the BBC guys who did Dr Who in the 60s & 70s - they could do the most remarkable things on a tight budget). The writing & acting were also patchy for mine. I bailed on the 4th series after about 2 episodes, though I might try it again when i get bored.

Okay, if you're gonna do the whole BBC/70's/sci-fi thing, then check out "Space:1999"; not only is it pretty advanced, especially for '70's sci-fi TV, but it's got the HOT Barbara Bain as the resident doctor. I remember watching this series back in the '70's on PBS, and Barbara Bain was my idea of a hot space chick. Plus, like I said, they had some petty advanced sci-fi ideas, like a spaceship powered by the "Quellar drive" that destroyed anything behind it (including planets!).

http://youtu.be/bMvYwNMVshk

ArmchairGeneral
04 Dec 11,, 05:54
Chogy,

Ooh, I like this guy. Wonder if it's on Netflix...

ArmchairGeneral
04 Dec 11,, 05:56
Nope. Curses. Maybe soon...Netflix rarely fails me.

Bigfella
04 Dec 11,, 06:21
Nope. Curses. Maybe soon...Netflix rarely fails me.

Not entirely surprised. it has nonly been on DVD for a few years & is a bit of a 'cult' show. Good luck finding it. it is brilliant. Hmmmm, may be time for me to re-watch.

Gun Grape
04 Dec 11,, 06:45
What would your reaction be if he had said "too many testicles" :eek:

That wouldn't have been so bad.

Google "Japanese Tentacle Porn".

It will make you think Tankie was normal.

YellowFever
04 Dec 11,, 08:27
That wouldn't have been so bad.

Google "Japanese Tentacle Porn".

It will make you think Tankie was normal.

Jeez, Gunny, you're not going to let it go, are you? :mad:

It was a flippant remark designed to show just how awful I thought that Yamato flick was. :tongue:

Edit: And nothing on earth would make anyone think tankie was normal.

Doktor
04 Dec 11,, 09:36
Edit: And nothing on earth would make anyone think tankie was normal.

That's of course unless they don't know you.

FJV
04 Dec 11,, 22:40
Always liked red dwarf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa_gZ_7sdZg

WativucyZo
15 Dec 11,, 13:45
Hello

Doktor
15 Dec 11,, 13:54
WativucyZo,

Welcome.

You might want to introduce yourself here:
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wab-information-center/61571-new-all-one-introduction-thread.html

Albany Rifles
16 Dec 11,, 17:19
I jumped all the way to the end of this thread and don't know if anyone else mentioned it but I really enjoyed Space: Above and Beyond.

Good stuff.

I also liked Babylon 5

bolo121
17 Dec 11,, 04:29
I jumped all the way to the end of this thread and don't know if anyone else mentioned it but I really enjoyed Space: Above and Beyond.

Good stuff.

I also liked Babylon 5

I liked Space above and Beyond except for the whole pilots who are also infantry gimmick.

Babylon Five i found too cheesy.

USSWisconsin
17 Dec 11,, 04:46
I have been enjoying Star Trek Enterprise - it gets better as it goes, the first season was ok, the second was better, and the third season is very good - I haven't watched the fourth season yet - but it is reputed to be the best season of all four. I took some getting used to, but it is worth it - lots of battles, lots of interesting aliens - a quarky Captain - like the original Kirk or Voyager's Janeway, a flawed but likable hero. Capt Archer is not like the always right Picard or Cisco of TNG and DS9. Sub Commander Ta Pao is a favorite charactor of mine, a little like 7 of 9 in Voyager - but unique too.

Chogy
17 Dec 11,, 14:58
Enterprise was excellent, I agree. One of my favorite episodes - T'Pao tells the story of a group of Vulcans stranded in 1950's Pennsylvania. You'll enjoy it if you haven't seen it already, which you possibly have. I think it was season 3.

xinhui
23 Dec 11,, 06:31
Oh please let this one be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU&feature=g-logo&context=G2abc074FOAAAAAAAAAA

zraver
23 Dec 11,, 06:42
Its anime and more cyber-punk than pure sci-fi but the ghost in the shell franchise rocks.

Serenity was good space-western.

Babylon 5 finally had fighters moving in zero G

Star Wars 4, 5 and 6 the true birth of an era and sheer chutzpah of the building scale

Avatar for sheer visual seduction

ID4 for killing the they have come to love us and help us BS.

Enemy Mine for the social commentary

Blade Runner a classic

Officer of Engineers
23 Dec 11,, 06:44
Jason,

ID4 stands for????

YellowFever
23 Dec 11,, 08:35
Independence Day.

The movie starring Bill Pullman as the Hornet flying president and Will Smith as a fighter jock that's in love with a stripper.

I think ID4 was it's promotional name.

Sorta like T2 was for Terminator 2.

I'm not zraver but you asked Jason a question and thus I am qualified to answer. :tongue:

Chogy
23 Dec 11,, 14:38
Independence day - Ignoring the notion that hillbillies can fly jet fighters at all, and the thought that sidewinders with 8 pounds of HE can bring down alien ships the size of 4 city blocks combined, it was an entertaining story.

The only thing that would have won that war was nuclear bombardment, AFTER their shields came down.

bigross86
23 Dec 11,, 14:50
Well, the reason the Sidewinder was able to bring down the ship was because it hit them as they were deploying their superweapon. I'm trying to figure out why there were no bombers, artillery, armor or even slingshots to try and get as much iron on target as possible, that's the part that gets me...

23 Dec 11,, 15:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf-ZwM-3X1w&feature=related

YellowFever
23 Dec 11,, 17:19
Independence day - Ignoring the notion that hillbillies can fly jet fighters at all, and the thought that sidewinders with 8 pounds of HE can bring down alien ships the size of 4 city blocks combined, it was an entertaining story.

The only thing that would have won that war was nuclear bombardment, AFTER their shields came down.

Well, the reason the Sidewinder was able to bring down the ship was because it hit them as they were deploying their superweapon. I'm trying to figure out why there were no bombers, artillery, armor or even slingshots to try and get as much iron on target as possible, that's the part that gets me...

Wait...did you guys watch the same movie I did?

It was the drunken hillbilly that rammed his Hornet into the thingamajig super weapon that brought the ship down and not a sidewinder.
:confused:

USSWisconsin
23 Dec 11,, 18:23
Wait...did you guys watch the same movie I did?

It was the drunken hillbilly that rammed his Hornet into the thingamajig super weapon that brought the ship down and not a sidewinder.
:confused:

Perhaps- it was a rare quantum blend of the hillbilly, the alcohol in the hillbilly, the hornet, all the stuff the hornet was made of and the alien super weapon itself- they all fused into an alien destroying ultra weapon... Mirraculously - this extemporaniously created weapon thingamajig only destroys the alien ships and doesn't vaporize the Earth. The "suspend disbelief systems" had to work hard in that scene.

zraver
23 Dec 11,, 19:23
Jason,

ID4 stands for????

Independence Day, not the greatest movie from after the destruction of LA when it goes lib tarded, but good special effects for the time and a decent story overall. More importantly the Alien invaders were not a dozen or so, or here to teach us- they were here for what we had and didn't feel like paying.

zraver
23 Dec 11,, 19:25
Perhaps- it was a rare quantum blend of the hillbilly, the alcohol in the hillbilly, the hornet, all the stuff the hornet was made of and the alien super weapon itself- they all fused into an alien destroying ultra weapon... Mirraculously - this extemporaniously created weapon thingamajig only destroys the alien ships and doesn't vaporize the Earth. The "suspend disbelief systems" had to work hard in that scene.

I think the missile hit did enough damage to cause a short and the damn thing grounded to itself- boom.

YellowFever
23 Dec 11,, 20:20

Yes, that does sound far fetched, however you forgot the part where Jeff Goldblum and the fresh prince sneaks into the alien mothership to unleash a virus that laughs at the aliens face in retaliation for that captured alien killing Data in Area 51.

It all makes perfect sense.

Stitch
24 Dec 11,, 01:47
I like the fact that they were somehow able to jury-rig and launch a tactical nuke from an alien spacecraft; why didn't they just shoot a bunch of tactical nukes up the alien spaceship's thingamajiggy superweapon?

Officer of Engineers
24 Dec 11,, 05:19
I still have a problem with all these movies. If I was the alien master race, why the hell shall I come to down to atmosphere? What is so wrong about dropping rocks from orbit and beyond the range of earth based rockets?

ArmchairGeneral
24 Dec 11,, 05:57
I still have a problem with all these movies. If I was the alien master race, why the hell shall I come to down to atmosphere? What is so wrong about dropping rocks from orbit and beyond the range of earth based rockets?

Yup: The Killing Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killing_Star)

zraver
24 Dec 11,, 06:27

Atmospheric heating and fallout would be the two big drawbacks, that and fear that Space Battleship Yamato would rise from the floor of the boiled Pacific to deal death with the wave motion gun.

Officer of Engineers
24 Dec 11,, 07:20
The only thing I remembered being similar was the ROBOTECH series where a Celine Dion clone whose singing paralyzed the alien race attacking earth.

YellowFever
24 Dec 11,, 14:15

The only thing I remembered being similar was the ROBOTECH series where a Celine Dion clone whose singing paralyzed the alien race attacking earth.

Min mei.

Jailbait.

That second in command chick was hotter.

Those aliens might have been paralyzed by Min Mei's singing but they were the only alien race to do a proper earth bombardment with nukes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmkgCi5BO70

ArmchairGeneral
25 Dec 11,, 05:25
Those aliens might have been paralyzed by Min Mei's singing but they were the only alien race to do a proper earth bombardment with nukes...

No need for nukes, just get the projectiles going fast enough and KE will do the job for you, with no nasty radiation leftovers.

zraver
25 Dec 11,, 05:43
No need for nukes, just get the projectiles going fast enough and KE will do the job for you, with no nasty radiation leftovers.

Yup, like the Gamelons did.

xinhui
29 Dec 11,, 20:28
this was posted by George Takei at his facebook today.

ArtyEngineer
24 Jan 12,, 02:17
What are peoples thoughts on both "Falling Skies" and "Terra Nova" I have managed to catch a few episodes of both and though both seemed decent.

Regards

Arty

Albany Rifles
25 Jan 12,, 01:58
I liked Falling Skies....haven't watched Terra Nova...up against too much sports.

tgbyhn
25 Jan 12,, 02:07
I've seen every Terra Nova program so far - it's a very interesting concept but too much family-oriented.

ArmchairGeneral
27 Jan 12,, 04:07
All your questions about what to watch, answered in one handy chart: Which SciFi Series Should You Watch on NetFlix? This Handy Flowchart Will Help You Decide! - SF Signal – A Speculative Fiction Blog (http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2011/05/which_scifi_series_should_you_watch_on_netflix_thi s_handy_flowchart_will_help_you_decide/)

xinhui
24 Nov 12,, 06:22
hey all,

Blood and Chrome is now out. You can watch it legally in Youtub
Browse|Movies |Upload
"Episode 1" - Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE

bolo121
24 Nov 12,, 09:38
hey all,

Blood and Chrome is now out. You can watch it legally in Youtub
Browse|Movies |Upload
"Episode 1" - Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE

Saw it, meh.
Not worth the time.

xinhui
27 Nov 12,, 09:32
yeah, it is not as deep nor dark as the reimagined. Then again, the reimagined did get carried away, especially during the last season.

Blood and Chrome is fun, is brainless, it is topgun in space!

bolo121
28 Nov 12,, 03:47
yeah, it is not as deep nor dark as the reimagined. Then again, the reimagined did get carried away, especially during the last season.

Blood and Chrome is fun, is brainless, it is topgun in space!

Gotta agree that the reimagined one went off the rails after season 2.
But i did not much like top gun and so could not stomach the nonsense toe to toe gunfights in space.

I would much prefer someone showing space actions like those depicted by Ian Douglas in his books.

Chogy
28 Nov 12,, 14:17
Gotta agree that the reimagined one went off the rails after season 2.
But i did not much like top gun and so could not stomach the nonsense toe to toe gunfights in space.

I would much prefer someone showing space actions like those depicted by Ian Douglas in his books.

Since I started this thread, I did watch the entire Battlestar Galactica remake, and I did enjoy it thoroughly. It had some weird spots... they never did explain just why a cylon-human hybrid was so critical. But overall, I thought it was a lot of fun. One thing it did have which I thought was good, and that was, no aerodynamics in space. Craft could flip end for end or jink sideways.

Falling skies - I'm liking it. The cliffhanger from last season was brilliant. New aliens; here to help, or harm? I'm thinking they are there to help the human race, given the implications of the gigantic weapon the bad aliens had created pointing skyward, when humanity no longer had an air or space threat.

Currently watching Star Trek DS-9. It's OK, weak writing in season 1 hurt it, but it's getting better.

Tera Nova - great premise, terrible execution. The story-line should be on survival, not some father-son feud.

xinhui
04 Dec 12,, 00:54
Last night I had a dream that I was cast in the new Star Wars movie as an Ewok bounty hunter with a checkered past. I got to kill Jar Jar and then blame it on that whiny little bitch, Wicket. I got to kill him too. It was awesome.

Chogy
04 Dec 12,, 15:50
Whenever I think of Ewoks, I think of a fully modern Armored Division with body armor and modern weapons, vs the Sioux or Cheyenne.

And the Native Americans win decisively.

Chogy
01 May 13,, 15:49
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I decided to give Dr. Who (the 2005 seires) a try on Netflix. And I'm having trouble.

I'm deep into season two. And I'm sorry, I know it's a much beloved show, but I just don't get it. It's like Benny Hill meets Star Trek and Sherlock Holmes, with a stiff dose of Steam Punk thrown in.

I enjoy the characters. The stories seem well written, and some of the effects are excellent. But the inside of the Doctor's ship is a joke, and when he starts beating on the components with his shoe, or whips out cheap paper 3D red-blue glasses to be able to "see" trans-dimensional beings, I just cringe.

What am I missing? Why does this show have such a rabid fan base? :confused:

bolo121
02 May 13,, 05:12
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I decided to give Dr. Who (the 2005 seires) a try on Netflix. And I'm having trouble.

I'm deep into season two. And I'm sorry, I know it's a much beloved show, but I just don't get it. It's like Benny Hill meets Star Trek and Sherlock Holmes, with a stiff dose of Steam Punk thrown in.

I enjoy the characters. The stories seem well written, and some of the effects are excellent. But the inside of the Doctor's ship is a joke, and when he starts beating on the components with his shoe, or whips out cheap paper 3D red-blue glasses to be able to "see" trans-dimensional beings, I just cringe.

What am I missing? Why does this show have such a rabid fan base? :confused:

Its an acquired taste.
Americans mostly wont like the deliberate way in which it pokes fun at itself. Remember, the old doctor who used to have a tiny budget and threadbare effects.
So every now and then they will insert some junk like that for the fun of it.
David Tennant especially knows not to take it seriously at all and hams up the frenetic shouting and pointless running about a lot.

Usually we ignore such things with the help of the eye candy but you will have to wait until season 5 to get Amy Pond. Until then grit and bear with Rose.

Also Russel T Davies is an absolute arsehole and it shows in his weaker episodes.

USSWisconsin
02 May 13,, 08:28
My Daughter and I just enjoyed "Earth 2" a single season series that we picked up on Amazon cheap. It is very different. Quite complicated, I think that's why it was cancelled - it took about 3 episodes to get engaged. While the whole story didn't unfold in one season, the concept did, and it was very diverse, with at least three species on the new planet, one of these, the Terians, was very enigmatic. The Humans there were complex too, there was apparently a penal colony there, and cyborgs which the the "Earth council" sent to cull them.

Another series "Starlost" was a similar series, in that it was cheap to buy and only lasted one season - it all takes place in space, on a giant colony ship. It is older, and has a British flavor, reminding me a little of early Dr Who, though more in production characteristics than in the story line.

We both love Dr Who, I've been a fan since the late 70's and the new series got my Daughter engaged, she wants to buy the seasons as soon as they are released on DVD. I really got into the new series sequence when David Tennet became the Dr. Dr Who takes quite a while to get engaged, it has a huge story arc. I think at least a dozen episodes is needed to really get into the story.

Chogy
02 May 13,, 17:43
Trust me, I can "see" the appeal of Dr. Who... I just wish, as bolo states, there was less "frenetic shouting and pointless running about a lot." I don't want or need Star Trek sets, but the TARDIS... well, you may as well simply call it a magic box rather than a ship, as it seems there is zero attempt at any sort of realism.

Some of the villains are great. The Daleks crack me up, they sound like enraged hamsters in a robot shell. The Cybermen vs. Daleks, when they were discussing an alliance and it devolved into a shouting match, was priceless. Exterminate, exterminate.

It is sort of growing on me, but I doubt it will ever be a favorite. More fantasy than sci-fi, and that's OK, there is a place for fantasy as well.

Rose doesn't bother me too much. She is apparently gone anyhow. Is the whole gist of the show having the Dr. pick up a new honey every few years?

USSWisconsin
02 May 13,, 17:57
Trust me, I can "see" the appeal of Dr. Who... I just wish, as bolo states, there was less "frenetic shouting and pointless running about a lot." I don't want or need Star Trek sets, but the TARDIS... well, you may as well simply call it a magic box rather than a ship, as it seems there is zero attempt at any sort of realism.

Some of the villains are great. The Daleks crack me up, they sound like enraged hamsters in a robot shell. The Cybermen vs. Daleks, when they were discussing an alliance and it devolved into a shouting match, was priceless. Exterminate, exterminate.

It is sort of growing on me, but I doubt it will ever be a favorite. More fantasy than sci-fi, and that's OK, there is a place for fantasy as well.

Rose doesn't bother me too much. She is apparently gone anyhow. Is the whole gist of the show having the Dr. pick up a new honey every few years?

The Dr himself changes every few years, and the pretty assistants a little more often. Not all of them are hot. Donna Noble was a very ordinary British woman, IMO, not a pretty young thing. I'm sure there are a subset of fans who consider sexy assistants to be important, but I think its optional personally. Some of the assistants over the years were male. I believe that Rose is the first assistant the Dr was in love with. Sometimes the Dr had several assistants at once, like Amy Pond and her husband. In the old. pre-1990 seasons, the assistants were occasionally the Dr's equals - one was a time lord herself; Ramona - and she regenerated so two women played that role (both were pretty). Other assistants who didn't fit the girlfriend pattern were Lela and Ace, they were more like warrior women. The first Dr traveled with his grand daughter.

Tom Baker (the 4th Dr) is still my favorite Dr, though David Tennet is a very close second (he is the 10th or 11th Dr - one Dr did only a single movie, some fans don't count him).

Chogy
03 May 13,, 17:01
After posting on Dr. Who, I tried a few more episodes with a more open mind, and I actually did research on some of the sub-plots and characters. I'm in the process of doing a rapid 180 degree turn. Two episodes in particular I thought were brilliant. The Family of Blood (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_of_Blood) was so well written... this was the episode where the Dr. turned himself into a 100% human, put his memories and personality into a watch, and hid in a boys' school in 1913 to avoid a family of hunters who could "smell" Time Lord tech. Under attack, the Dr. (who had fallen in love) had zero desire to become the hero again. Very well acted. The scene at the end, with the WW1 vet in the wheel chair who recognized the Dr., was a tear jerker.

Right after that came Blink (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(Doctor_Who))- Another fascinating plot, with quantum villains who would cease movement under observation - the weeping angels.

I am starting to get it. It didn't take long. :pop:

USSWisconsin
03 May 13,, 17:20
There are lots of older episodes that are brilliant too. I recommend the Key to Time, with Tom Baker - it was a season long plot with many wonderful episodes. My favorite was the Pirate Planet - it has a wonderful Capt Bight caricature with a robot parrot on his shoulder - the character controls a space jumping hollow planet - which can materialize around a target planet and "mine" it. Of course it kills the population of that world in the process - and a bunch of the citizens of the pirate planet are affected by the energy of the dying planets and seek to oppose the Capt. The Dr. uncovers a wonderfully evil plot, and it turns out the Capt is not at the center of it - he is a brilliant engineer of celestial mechanics and powers the planet with a condensed matter array made from the compressed planets of his victims. The blustering Capt bellows at his second in command, threatening to have the skull off of him and bleach his bones... He does the same to the Dr, until he discovers the Dr can fix his burned out macro-matter converter, which gives the Dr and his assistant Ramona the chance to foil the plot and discover the evil Queen Xanzia behind it all, preserved by a time dam. It is a particularly rich episode, with enough great moments to make several average episodes.

The Stones of Blood and the Ribos Operation are also great episodes from the season - all of them have the Dr and Ramona searching for the Key to Time - which has six segments for them to find - Ramona regenerates into the 2nd Ramona in this season too (the 2nd Ramona becomes Tom Baker's wife in real life).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Planet

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Pirate-Planet-Special/dp/B001K2KMA0/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1367594621&sr=1-1&keywords=the+pirate+planet

Of the early Dr's Tom Baker played the part longer than any of the others, and many people thought he was the archetypal Dr. I liked John Pertwee the 3rd Dr quite a bit too, though the show's budget was very thin for some of his episodes - the time lords took his TARDIS away for a while (to save money on sets). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Doctor

This is a good episode to see the 3rd Doctor - and it has the 1st and 2nd Doctor too!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Doctors_(Doctor_Who)

The later Doctors (5 to 8) had their great moments too, but after Tom Baker, they were sort of a mild disappointment, IMO, but still good and worth watching. David Tennant finally brought the series back up to Tom Baker's level IMO.

Chogy
04 May 13,, 15:28
"My" current Dr. is Tennant, and I agree, he is quite good and a fine actor in his own right. I saw that in the Family of Blood episode.

Currently matronly "Donna" is the assistant. Cannot stand her, and want Martha or Rose back. The assistant shouldn't hassle or argue with the Dr. all the time! ;)

bolo121
04 May 13,, 15:33
After posting on Dr. Who, I tried a few more episodes with a more open mind, and I actually did research on some of the sub-plots and characters. I'm in the process of doing a rapid 180 degree turn. Two episodes in particular I thought were brilliant. The Family of Blood (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_of_Blood) was so well written... this was the episode where the Dr. turned himself into a 100% human, put his memories and personality into a watch, and hid in a boys' school in 1913 to avoid a family of hunters who could "smell" Time Lord tech. Under attack, the Dr. (who had fallen in love) had zero desire to become the hero again. Very well acted. The scene at the end, with the WW1 vet in the wheel chair who recognized the Dr., was a tear jerker.

Right after that came Blink (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(Doctor_Who))- Another fascinating plot, with quantum villains who would cease movement under observation - the weeping angels.

I am starting to get it. It didn't take long. :pop:

Yes those were both outstanding stories with very little slack to them. Taunt, gripping and Tennant at the height of his powers.
The family of blood especially is pretty much my favorite Tennant episode.
The angels were the best villains ever created in the series.
Also note that SOB Davies was nowhere near either of them.

bolo121
04 May 13,, 15:36
"My" current Dr. is Tennant, and I agree, he is quite good and a fine actor in his own right. I saw that in the Family of Blood episode.

Currently matronly "Donna" is the assistant. Cannot stand her, and want Martha or Rose back. The assistant shouldn't hassle or argue with the Dr. all the time! ;)

Amen to that. Donna and her annoying voice made several episodes unwatchable for me, I downloaded subtitles and watched them with the sound off.

Rose is irritating, Martha is siightly better and only sometimes gets on my nerves.

USSWisconsin
04 May 13,, 15:55
Amen to that. Donna and her annoying voice made several episodes unwatchable for me, I downloaded subtitles and watched them with the sound off.

Rose is irritating, Martha is siightly better and only sometimes gets on my nerves.

To each his own - I liked Martha and Rose. :) My personal favorite assistant was Sara Jane Smith, she started with the 3rd Doctor, but most of the episodes she was in were with the 4th Dr. She had her own sequel to the current series, sort of a kids version - we lost her to cancer in 2011, RIP.

Another great assistant was Adrick - a young mathematician from Tralcon I think, he was very good, he helped the Dr quite a bit - his co-assistant was Nissa, though she was more of a minor character, she was very pretty in a 1980's context.

Adrick and Nissa were there when Tom Baker regenerated to Peter Davison, the 5th Doctor (he was fine, but appearing after Tom Baker, who played the Dr. for 8 years, made for a very tough act to follow). Peter was very different from Tom and played the Dr for 3 years, he had a lot of good episodes, they are better in hindsight. At the time, many fans were busy missing Tom Baker and didn't feel that Davison was up to the job.

Colin Baker (not related to Tom) was an edgy and tough 6th Dr. He had a 3 year run - but there were some gaps in the series at that time when the BBC didn't make episodes regularly. There were some good episodes, and few "difficult" ones too. He was more likely to kill the bad guy than most of the other Doctors.He was an under appreciated Doctor, IMO.

Sylvester McCoy was the 7th Dr, he was fine, he played the part for two seasons, and had some good episodes. He was reminiscent of the 2nd Dr, Patrick Troughton in his style. The Daleks made a comeback with him, but he wasn't one of my favorites, though he did have the warrior woman Ace for an assistant - she loved explosives ;)

Peter McGann was the "missing" 8th Dr. he appeared in a single, and hard to find, movie, not very memorable.

The new "modern" series started with Christopher Eccleston (#9), who introduced Rose, I enjoyed them, but David Tennant (the 10th Doctor, with a six year run) easily overshadowed Eccleston's one year run.

So far, Matt Smith, Dr #11, is doing a pretty good job, he reminds me of David Tennant. It seemed to me that the longer an actor played the Doctor, the better he was at it.

The BBC accidentally destroyed most of the first 3 doctor's episodes in the 1970's, thinking they were duplicates. A world wide search restored less than half of what was lost, but the first two Doctor's catalogs were particularly decimated.

bolo121
04 May 13,, 16:20
To each his own - I liked Martha and Rose. My personal favorite assistant was Sara Jane Smith, she started with the 3rd Doctor, but most of the episodes she was in were with the 4th Dr. She had her own sequel to the current series, sort of a kids version - we lost her to cancer in 2011, RIP.

I did try to watch a few classic Doctor episodes on dvd way back when i was in the UK but somehow I just felt... disconnected.
I could never get the same feel i get from a well written tennant episode.

So while i do know of Sarah Jane Smith and K9 they never seemed all that great.

TO each his own I suppose.

By the way what do you think of the currently airing series seven?
I'm sort of in mixed minds about the new assistant Clara.
Jenna Louise Coleman has a wonderful voice but she seems to be a bit of extra tacked onto the story, we could easily have entire episoed without her.

USSWisconsin
04 May 13,, 17:08
I did try to watch a few classic Doctor episodes on dvd way back when i was in the UK but somehow I just felt... disconnected.
I could never get the same feel i get from a well written tennant episode.

So while i do know of Sarah Jane Smith and K9 they never seemed all that great.

TO each his own I suppose.

By the way what do you think of the currently airing series seven?
I'm sort of in mixed minds about the new assistant Clara.
Jenna Louise Coleman has a wonderful voice but she seems to be a bit of extra tacked onto the story, we could easily have entire episoed without her.

I'm behind on series 7, I haven't stayed up to watch it on TV, and we don't have the DVD's for it yet.

It's rather easy to land on a "difficult" episode when looking at the older seasons, and the new series has a much larger budget, more consistently excellent writing, and better effects - the difference in production quality is huge. I suppose that makes it hard to go back. At least the TARDIS isn't such a joke, I don't appreciate the old car parts and kids toys for controls - the early episodes had a simple but dignified TARDIS. Most of it was off screen, the control room was modest and the controls were unobtrusive.

Going from modern sci-fi back to the nostalgic early stuff isn't for everyone. I saw them all pretty much in order, so they weren't so dated at the time, and I wasn't comparing them to the modern series. Even then, there were some episodes that seemed to drag on, gloomy and dull. The writing was usually fine, and often brilliant, but production values were often so bad it was funny. I never got into K9 much either, though some episodes were better than others - in the Pirate Planet; K9 hunts down the Capt's murderous robot parrot and then retrieves it ;) " Good dog, K9", is the Doctor's response.

A few more good ones (IMO):
The Sun Makers - a great one

The Talons of Weng Chiang
The Keeper of Trakken
The Brain of Morbious - sort of gloomy
The Pyramids of Mars
The Hand of Fear
The Face of Evil
The Creature from the Pit

The Trial of a Time Lord - a series of episodes
The Five Doctors

bolo121
04 May 13,, 17:21
I'm behind on series 7, I haven't stayed up to watch it on TV, and we don't have the DVD's for it yet.

It's rather easy to land on a "difficult" episode when looking at the older seasons, and the new series has a much larger budget, more consistently excellent writing, and better effects - the difference in production quality is huge. I suppose that makes it hard to go back. At least the TARDIS isn't such a joke, I don't appreciate the old car parts and kids toys for controls - the early episodes had a simple but dignified TARDIS. Most of it was off screen, the control room was modest and the controls were unobtrusive.

Going from modern sci-fi back to the nostalgic early stuff isn't for everyone. I saw them all pretty much in order, so they weren't so dated at the time, and I wasn't comparing them to the modern series. Even then, there were some episodes that seemed to drag on, gloomy and dull. The writing was usually fine, and often brilliant, but production values were often so bad it was funny. I never got into K9 much either, though some episodes were better than others - in the Pirate Planet; K9 hunts down the Capt's murderous robot parrot and then retrieves it ;) " Good dog, K9", is the Doctor's response.

pssst, just use a good proxy and bbc iplayer :)

Yes I think i must have landed on some difficult to digest episodes. Also I first learned of doctor who while devouring paperback books as a kid.
So i sort of expected the darker and more complex Doctor found in most of the books.
I'll try to get my hands on the tom baker series and see in chronological order. Maybe second time will do the trick.

Chogy
04 May 13,, 18:53
One thing I must admit - the aliens the BBC created for this series I am watching puts hollywood to shame. The Ood, the cybermen, New NY's cat people, the Spider Queen, even the Daleks in all their shapes and forms, biological and/or robotic, are infinitely better than the puttied noses of all the Star Trek shows. Hat's off to them. They must have created a hundred Ood prosthetics for the masses of them for the Ood home world story.

Officer of Engineers
04 May 13,, 22:32
This series, yeah, but the old series, they use whatever they can afford. The Daleks were upside down garbage cans and the Cybermen were painted cardboard cut outs.

USSWisconsin
05 May 13,, 02:02
Where Dr Who stood apart from the run of the mill sci fi was imagination - the audience had to use theirs. The stories weren't trying to show you everything, they just wanted to help you imagine it. The new series uses more and better effects, but it still follows the imagination required path. The idea that the Ood were all part of a single organism was pretty cool - the giant brain was the main intelligence and the fore brain carried in their hand was how they connected to it. Star Trek had revamped communists for enemies, a soap box for the Capt (Kirk needed a woman to chase too) and a familiar cowboys and Indians approach- it was a well worn TV series formula with a space veneer, very little thinking or attention needed. Dr Who required your attention and your imagination. Sort of like British college level entertainment vs middle school level US TV. I have to admit, Star Trek got better as it went, and it was some of the best US sci fi on TV. Compare it to Lost in Space - that was a real groaner.

It was funny how cheap Dr Who could get, some of the early shows were very very cheaply produced. But the ideas were usually very deep. Like when Dr Who (David Tennant) dies, and the Ood appear to carry him back to the universe - with their song, that song ends, as another is beginning.

Star Trek had a preacher (the Capt), Dr Who had a choir, as big as the universe. The scale of Dr Who is bigger than Star Trek, it is your own imagination that defines it, rather than the story writer's. The expectations of the viewer are much more demanding, but there is a reward.

Monash
05 May 13,, 04:27
Independence Day, not the greatest movie from after the destruction of LA when it goes lib tarded, but good special effects for the time and a decent story overall. More importantly the Alien invaders were not a dozen or so, or here to teach us- they were here for what we had and didn't feel like paying.

Speaking of LA I didn't mind Battle: Los Angeles to much at all. Lots of good action sequences even if the character development was a bit two dimensional. I'll even make allowances for the apparent appalling state of the modern US Marine Corps urban battle tactics and small unit combat drills - I mean if that's how it's done how did those guys manage to win at Fallujah anyway? :)

As for series I have watched the 1st season of Falling Skies and thought it had potential. Has the second season lived up to it?

Chogy
05 May 13,, 14:37
As for series I have watched the 1st season of Falling Skies and thought it had potential. Has the second season lived up to it?

It is worth watching, IMO. There are points where it was getting a bit tedious... 2nd Mass makes contact, fights, retreats, over and over. Yet they kept popping in surprises and plot twists. I thought the second season ended well, with a nice cliff hanger.

It's not greatness, but not too bad either.

Minskaya
05 May 13,, 14:57
Disney Co has purchased Lucasfilm from George Lucas in a $4 billion dollar deal. Included are all of the previously released Star Wars movies and the merchandising rights. Disney had previously purchased Pixar Studios (Toy Story) and the Marvel Comics Group (Spiderman, Iron Man, X-Men, etc). With George Lucas as a creative consultant, Disney plans to release new Star Wars movies in 2015/16/17/18.

Chogy
12 May 13,, 15:11
Sadness... woe... I don't like the new Dr. after Tennant.

It's not just him, it's like the story-writing, editing, and production teams simply swapped places with lesser caliber people. Was there some kind of shake-up, or budget cut?

bolo121
12 May 13,, 17:20
Sadness... woe... I don't like the new Dr. after Tennant.

It's not just him, it's like the story-writing, editing, and production teams simply swapped places with lesser caliber people. Was there some kind of shake-up, or budget cut?

Nah, thats just the post Tennant letdown. It passes after 4 or 5 episodes.
Matt Smith is just not that good and far too young. Plus writing is now by Steven Moffat who took a while to get going.
He took over after Russel T Davies left and yes the whole team was shaken up.

On the positive side...Come along Pond.

Double Edge
12 May 13,, 23:44
My wife LOVES the Battlestar Gallactica re-boot; I'm not it's biggest fan, but it's definitely a lot more intellectual than the original '70's version, and I have to admit it is a very well-done series. I would say try the intial BSG three-hour miniseries on DVD and see if you like it. The Cylons are DEFINITELY not the original mechanical robots they were in the original version, they're much more complicated. Sounds like this might be right up your alley.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Miniseries,_Night_1
One vote for BSG from me too.

Being an avid fan of the original this one was a bit of a hill to climb but once you get over the initial bump its ok. No lasers, its bullets & nukes as weapons.

Seasons 1 & 2 are good. First half of seasons 3 & 4 are slow & heavy. Things got better in the second half. Noticed some ideas taken from star wars & independence day.

I thought the acting was good and the human dimension is explored in depth compared to the original. Heavy going at times. Quite a bit of religion in there as well. Guardian angels. A few philosophical questions posed. What happens when you blur the line between human & machine.

If a machine can think and feel then is it still a machine. They don't want to be machines ie slaves any more that's why they rebelled. One true good believing robots that want to fall in love. Robots that never die but get ressurected, just download consciousness into a new model and off they go.

The battle scenes, tactics & politicking would make this show a natural for a board like this.

Caprica plays more on the virtual reality theme. Terrorism angle makes it contemporary. The terrorists are monotheists whereas everybody else is polytheist.

bolo121
13 May 13,, 08:12
Chogy give these books a try also, decent enough writing but dont bother about the plot too much.
The real fun is in the very well thought out carrier based space battles.

Earth Strike: Star Carrier: Book One: Ian Douglas: 9780061840258: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Strike-Star-Carrier-Book/dp/0061840254/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1/182-6634472-5051164)

Officer of Engineers
23 May 13,, 02:58
Saw the new Star Trek and it confirms that Chris Pine makes the worst Kirk, hell even a very bad Ship Captain. Never heard a Commander/Major rank whine so much, explaining himself to his subordinates. Spock maybe a friend but you don't bitch in front of your CO what your 2IC did.

And apparently, Klingons never heard of grenades or their ships don't have area weapons. If Khan is kicking your butt, throw a damned grenade or get the ship to burn the area.

The only thing better than the original is this Carol Marcus is way hotter but this new crew does not measure against the old one. Hell, Nichol's Uhura has way better curves.

Gun Grape
23 May 13,, 05:41
On the positive side...Come along Pond.

Nah, she has been kicked to the curb.

I much prefer the new companion