Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking news: 'Canadian troops die in Kabul blast'

'Canadian troops die in Kabul blast'

Two Canadian soldiers have been killed in an explosion in the Afghan capital, Kabul, reports say.

A spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force said three others were wounded when a landmine exploded under their vehicle.

The identity of those killed, who were on a routine patrol, was being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

A defence spokesman in Ottawa would not confirm the precise toll but said Canadian soldiers had been involved in an explosion resulting in casualties.

The incident marks Canada's first casualties since the country sent nearly 2,000 troops to Afghanistan in August.

It was not clear whether the mine which went off was an old one or one laid recently, aimed at Isaf personnel who are charged with maintaining security in Kabul.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3159474.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Sgt. Robert Allan Short and Cpl. Robbie Christopher Beerenfenger, both of 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment.

My info is that the road was only swept 24 hrs before by the 2nd Combat Engineers Regiment.

God's Grace.

Comment

In India we not only sweep the road but also post picquets along the road so that none can sneak in. They remain in position till the task is over. Even then, the terrorist slip in!

IED are placed in tandem or even in three spaced so that there is these IED along the length of the target area. This ensures that even if the first one does not take casualties the others do.

Jammer vehicles should preceed the convoys. While we can't aford the luxury, I reckon helicopters could preceed the movement so that they can take on the terrorists while they are activating these remote controlled explosives or fleeing the scene.

My condolences to the bereaved families. May their souls rest in peace.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,

As an engr, the rule of thumb is always to assume the road is mined no matter how many times you sweeped it or observed from an OP.

The best detection system has been and still is a dog. Nothing beats that nose and if it screws up, it's a dog, not a man.

What happenned here was tragic and I am somewhat disgusted since it appears someone was neglegent, at least in not keeping their eyes openned. Anymore than that, I am not at liberty to say.

My thanks for your condolences, Sir. It will be passed to the regiment in your name.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
          Sir,

What happenned here was tragic and I am somewhat disgusted since it appears someone was neglegent,

My thanks for your condolences, Sir. It will be passed to the regiment in your name.
          Colonel, clearing a road is a thankless job and very tiresome. So, don't be harsh on them. I agree lives have been lost.

Indeed, it will be my honour if you let the Regt know, that we care. Their woes is equally heart stricken as ours. I assure you that.
          Last edited by Ray; 05 Oct 03,, 12:01.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
            Sir,

What happenned here was tragic and I am somewhat disgusted since it appears someone was neglegent,

Colonel, clearing a road is a thankless job and very tiresome. So, don't be harsh on them. I agree lives have been lost.

Indeed, it will be my honour if you let the Regt know, that we care. Their woes is equally heart stricken as ours. I assure you that.

Our heart bleeds for every soldier the world over who are laying their lives against the terrorists. We are fighting them for decades. We understand the difficult times and the grief that it can bring.

God bless you all.May you all succeed.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
            X