PDA

View Full Version : Was Tankie Right After All?!

bigross86
09 Nov 11,, 23:34
After a friend's Facebook status update, I went outside to look at the moon and saw that it was surrounded by some sort of halo that I've never seen before. I immediately tried to take pictures, though I'm in the middle of the city so there was plenty of light pollution. The pictures were all taken with a Canon PowerShot SX120IS with varying exposure times until I settled on 1 second exposure. I don't have a tripod so I just tried to keep the camera as still as I could on random objects (including my knee). The pictures were originally 3648x2736 pixels, I resized them to 1024x768 to post them here.

bigross86
09 Nov 11,, 23:36
More pics

bigross86
09 Nov 11,, 23:37
Final batch

Doktor
09 Nov 11,, 23:38
Clean the lens!

bigross86
09 Nov 11,, 23:38
That little speck right next to the moon is a star which was shining incredibly bright. I don't think I've ever recalled seeing that star before, and I've looked at the moon more than once...

bigross86
09 Nov 11,, 23:40
Clean the lens!

I did with a microfiber cloth before I started taking pictures. The pictures aren't great quality because of A) all around camera, not a specific purpose camera, B)lack of a tripod, C) Light pollution (I'm right next to a shopping center and D)the resizing. Full size you can see with a lot more clarity

Parihaka
09 Nov 11,, 23:41
That little speck right next to the moon is a star which was shining incredibly bright. I don't think I've ever recalled seeing that star before, and I've looked at the moon more than once...

Ummm, the moon moves in respect to the stars. Just sayin'......

Doktor
09 Nov 11,, 23:44
I was about to post a video from Madagascar cartoon where they see the helicopter as a star :Dancing-Banana:

bigross86
09 Nov 11,, 23:47
Ummm, the moon moves in respect to the stars. Just sayin'......

I didn't see that star yesterday when I looked. It probably has something to do with the insanely clear sky around the moon, the star that would normally get lost is suddenly extremely visible

Red Team
10 Nov 11,, 00:03
When were these photos taken? Because I remember reading something about an asteroid coming pretty damn close to us (distance closer than the moon) at around 6pm Eastern time US yesterday or the day before. If that speck was the asteroid well then you got yourself a piece of astronomical history :)

bigross86
10 Nov 11,, 00:08
They were taken approximately 20-30 minutes before I uploaded them, right around midnight, Israeli time

dave lukins
10 Nov 11,, 00:09

The star is Jupiter and at this time of year shows up very bright ;)

Red Team
10 Nov 11,, 01:40
They were taken approximately 20-30 minutes before I uploaded them, right around midnight, Israeli time

Ah then it couldn't be the asteroid...could be a satellite but like dave said it's probably Jupiter.

YellowFever
10 Nov 11,, 04:47
I just e-mailed the government your pictures.

They denied everything.

BD1
10 Nov 11,, 06:15
i e-mailed my goverment these pictures too. yello´s goverment replied and denied everything

YellowFever
10 Nov 11,, 06:37
In all honesty, Benny, don't you think this is kinda cruel to tankie?

He's probably out buying K Y jelly and getting his hopes up that there will be an anal probe in the near future....

bigross86
10 Nov 11,, 09:19
Nah, he's already got stocks of K Y at home

tankie
10 Nov 11,, 09:49
The star is Jupiter and at this time of year shows up very bright ;)

Jupiter ???????????? since when does Jupiter elongate ,,and ya means Venus dontchya :tongue: ,,there was a close pass of an ast between the earth n moon on the 8th ;) nice pics Ben . :cool:

tankie
10 Nov 11,, 09:51
In all honesty, Benny, don't you think this is kinda cruel to tankie?

He's probably out buying K Y jelly and getting his hopes up that there will be an anal probe in the near future....

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::bigg rin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:: biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggr in:

Awwww yella , what wud we do without you ,,,lordy lordy

F#CK OFF :mad:

dave lukins
10 Nov 11,, 12:20
Jupiter ???????????? since when does Jupiter elongate ,,and ya means Venus dontchya :tongue: ,,there was a close pass of an ast between the earth n moon on the 8th ;) nice pics Ben . :cool:

The elongation is due to camera movement or vibration Tonight | EarthSky (http://earthsky.org/tonight)

bigross86
10 Nov 11,, 12:26
Like I said, I don't have a tripod, so I just tried to keep the camera as still as I could on different objects

dave lukins
10 Nov 11,, 12:30
Like I said, I don't have a tripod, so I just tried to keep the camera as still as I could on different objects

Great pictures by the way BR Rings Around The Moon (http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonring/)

YellowFever
10 Nov 11,, 17:07
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::bigg rin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:: biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggr in:

Awwww yella , what wud we do without you ,,,lordy lordy

Your life would be boring and Benny would be coming after you to fulfill his thirst for sadistic need to pick on respectible people.

F#CK OFF :mad:

Oh, I try to be nice to you and this is the way you respond? :mad:

tankie
10 Nov 11,, 18:01
I just e-mailed the government your pictures.

They denied everything.

They would ,,, smartarse :mad:

tankie
10 Nov 11,, 18:04
The elongation is due to camera movement or vibration Tonight | EarthSky (http://earthsky.org/tonight)

Okkkkkk but yoopiter is at the 2 o'clock in bens pics it was at 7 o'clock ,,,its deffo a conprs,,conpris,, UFO :biggrin:

Doktor
10 Nov 11,, 18:16
Your life would be boring and Benny would be coming after you to fulfill his thirst for sadistic need to pick on respectible people

Now you just wait a minute right there. You got carried on or the keyboard is made in Israel? And I am not referring to the typo :biggrin:

Oh, I try to be nice to you and this is the way you respond? :mad:
Being nice toward tankie? Ben is a tankie, too! :Dancing-Banana:

YellowFever
10 Nov 11,, 18:20
No wonder Eric gave up drinking....you've been hoarding and drinking all his stuff :mad:

Doktor
10 Nov 11,, 18:42
No wonder Eric gave up drinking....you've been hoarding and drinking all his stuff :mad:

It's cheaper down here :red:

tankie
10 Nov 11,, 19:22

Gorra fess up , im looking at the backend of a wagon receding into the distance , and its your fault yella , well , you n all the disbelievers . But the truth is out there scully ,,ohhhhhhhhhh yes . :tankie:

YellowFever
10 Nov 11,, 20:42
OK, Benny, a question:

Why did you decide to create this thread in the " Multimedia & Jukebox room" part of the forum?

Doktor
10 Nov 11,, 20:44
Because it has Tankie in the title, why else?

YellowFever
10 Nov 11,, 20:50
And tankie reminds Ben of Multimedia and a Jukebox? :confused:

Granted tankie's usually lit up like a jukebox but......

bigross86
10 Nov 11,, 20:51
Or rather the mods decided to place the "http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/multimedia-jukebox-room/25807-picture-s-day.html" and the "http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/multimedia-jukebox-room/36237-your-own-photos.html" threads here. Common logic dictates that picture threads go with the other picture threads. It's no wonder neither of you got it

Doktor
10 Nov 11,, 21:01
WAB pub would have been a better place since you didn't put them in Pic of the day or Own photos. But heck what do I know :P

YellowFever
10 Nov 11,, 21:11
Or rather the mods decided to place the "http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/multimedia-jukebox-room/25807-picture-s-day.html" and the "http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/multimedia-jukebox-room/36237-your-own-photos.html" threads here. Common logic dictates that picture threads go with the other picture threads. It's no wonder neither of you got it

Oh, and since when have any of us followed the mod's wishes like a bunch of sheeps and went along with their outlines? :mad:

I expected better from you, Benny.

You finally went groveling to the kraut admin to kiss his ass and follow his guidelines. :mad:

Damn....

dave lukins
10 Nov 11,, 22:39

He did add that it was water that he has given up. Didn't he? :rolleyes:

YellowFever
10 Nov 11,, 23:40
He did add that it was water that he has given up. Didn't he? :rolleyes:

Does he know the difference? :confused:

bigross86
11 Nov 11,, 00:50
Yellow, some of us create havoc and chaos when it's appropriate, and are on the staff's good side. You are in the other group.

YellowFever
11 Nov 11,, 01:02
That's true...

By the way, no one on the board has tested the PMS Admin's resolve yet.....

Any takers?

bigross86
11 Nov 11,, 01:08
<Takes a step back>

I think you're it! Lucky you! :biggrin:

Blue
11 Nov 11,, 01:09
SO Benny,

Are you curious about the rings? I believe they are usually caused by high altitude ice crystals. Happens here alot in the winter, usually before shitty weather hits!:frown:

bigross86
11 Nov 11,, 01:17
Dave posted a link earlier which explains the rings. I was interested in why it happened, but I was more interested in getting pictures before they dissipated. Having Jupiter in the picture was a fringe benefit

YellowFever
11 Nov 11,, 05:20
<Takes a step back>

I think you're it! Lucky you! :biggrin:

Come on, Benny!

Be James Dean for a change!

I'll give you $20.......

bigross86
11 Nov 11,, 08:10
Ok, fine: No