Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuff like this didn’t used to happen, did it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff like this didn’t used to happen, did it?

The end of innocence

05jun05

A 12-year-old British girl was charged yesterday with seriously harming a five-year-old boy found alone earlier this week with marks around his neck.

The girl was charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm to Anthony Hinchliffe and with attempting to pervert the course of justice in the case in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, in northern England, police said.

She is scheduled to appear at Dewsbury Youth Court on June 10.

She was one of two girls and three boys aged between 11 and 12 arrested this week over Tuesday's incident. The four others were freed yesterday, while she was re-arrested and kept in custody.

Detectives said they were no longer looking for anyone else in the case.

A spokeswoman for West Yorkshire police said the girl had been placed in the care of a youth offending team.

Police refuse to confirm if Anthony, on a half-term school break, sustained his injuries in an attempted hanging.

The boy was taken to hospital after being discovered in woodland near Dewsbury in a distressed state with bruising to his body.

He was released on Wednesday afternoon and then interviewed by police.

Detectives are investigating claims the attack was inspired by a TV screening of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves.

The movie, starring Kevin Costner, includes a sequence in which a boy narrowly escapes being strung up from a tree. There are a number of other hanging scenes.

It was shown on BBC1 on Bank Holiday Monday, just 24 hours before Anthony was lured into woods and apparently had a noose tied around his neck.

Six years ago, an eight-year-old boy in New Zealand hanged himself after watching the same film in what his parents believe was an attempt to copy the film.

West Yorkshire police confirmed they were aware of the theory.

There was also concern that, by showing the film at 5.45pm, the BBC flouted rules stating films including hanging should not be screened before 9pm.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E663,00.html

Once again. Where were the parents? Kids do not do this kind of stuff when the are properly supervised. This does happen every once in a while in most every country and it is always unfortunate.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I can remember stuff not quite as serious as this happening when I was a kid, then it was just reported as 'bullying', if it was reported at all.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Little kid on my street in suburbia 25-30 years ago when I was a wee lad whacked some slightly older kid with his dad's putter - cracked his skull open. I believe it was called "roughhousing" that got out of hand. Nothing much came of it.

-dale

Comment

About 10-15 years ago a friend of mine accidentally shot a little girl on the forehead. Luckily it was one of those guns, that are used to shoot down small birds? What do you call em, the ones that have a small metal bullet shaped like a shuttlecock?

Anyway it just a big red patch on her forehead and she started crying, when we made the run for it. Damn thinking about it, we had this gun, his dad's, in the PARK!! Now you can't be seen in the parking lot with a big knife!

Comment

Working...
          X