PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit



Shek
25 Oct 11,, 15:18
Any other crossfitters out there?

Albany Rifles
25 Oct 11,, 15:40
Nope...but I hope all is well with you!

Shek
15 Dec 11,, 20:07
Can't complain when I'm going through the CF website and come across motivational pics like this:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/TiffanyMorrisOntarioMinus25Windchill_th.jpg

Shek
08 Jan 12,, 19:15
Yesterday was a very good Workout of the Day. 10 rounds for time of 15 deadlifts (135lbs) and 15 pushups. Took me 17:58 - the elite folks finish this around 7:00.

lemontree
09 Jan 12,, 05:38
Any other crossfitters out there?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is crossfit?

Shek
09 Jan 12,, 16:13
Pardon my ignorance, but what is crossfit?

In six words: Constantly varied, high intensity, functional movements.
In 100 words: Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.

I'm having to learn lifts and skills that are new to me, so there's a sense of adventure to CF. The constant variation staves off the dullness that can accompany workout routines. The high intensity obliterates the need to do "cardio" - nearly every CF workout becomes cardio through its intensity. Finally, the functionality of the movements helps me prevent injury and has extended my ability to play with my kids, e.g., tossing them in the air. While I'm no longer out with the grunts, it's emphasis of functional movements also aligns well with combat fitness.

The CFHQ main site is www.crossfit.com.

lemontree
10 Jan 12,, 04:54
Thanks. Well in a way I do vary my daily workout routine. It mainly consists of cardio, but I make as many changes as possible. I avoid weights as I have a slight high BP issue, but include plenty of pushups and crunches, kick-boxing etc.

Shek
14 Jan 12,, 20:06
Thanks. Well in a way I do vary my daily workout routine. It mainly consists of cardio, but I make as many changes as possible. I avoid weights as I have a slight high BP issue, but include plenty of pushups and crunches, kick-boxing etc.

You would need to consult with your doctor, but weightlifting decreases your BP over time. The question is whether it raises it to a dangerous level during the course of the exercise. CF mostly uses moderate weight and higher repetition elements 90% of the time if a workout incorporates lifting. The other 10% of lifting is doing 1-5 round max lifts to measure strength progression over time.