Review: The Thing (2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: The Thing (2011)

I've always regarded "The Thing" by John Carpenter in 1982 as one of the most scary sci-fi, or any movie in general, ever made. The monster wasn't just running around trying to get you, it WAS you! No one could trust anyone else. The guy you knew for years could be the monster and you wouldn't even know it.

This movie tried to recreate that atmosphere. Sadly, I think it came up short compared to what John Carpenter had done.

The 1982 version was creepy. From the score to the setting. The score wasn't even music. It was just a few ominous notes struck at a very deliberate pace. Dun Dun! Dun Dun! It was like heart beat. But not quite. The setting gave a sense of being isolated from the rest of the world, which they were. But the endless plain of snow and the fact that there were only 12 people in the base added to the feeling of isolation. Adding to that, Carpenter slowed the pace of the movie down to set up each character as the possible monster. It was never something overt. Just enough to get you guessing.

This movie (2011) could use some of that Carpenter's touch at setting the mood. The base was isolated, but it was never ominous. We knew the main character (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) would live because she's the only woman. She was rarely in danger, nor was anyone else put in that position. I think I jumped only once during the movie.

Another problem suffered by this movie was how the plot mimicked the 1982 version, right down to the malfunctioning flamethrower and shooting their own guy.

Now let's get to the good part.

This movie did an exceptional job at keeping the continuity with the 1982 movie. It showed a lot of the things that Kurt Russle's character observed when he investigated the Norweigian base in that movie.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is so cute. The 1982 movie was gritty. There was not a single woman in that film. Mary Elizabeth Winstead changes the complexion of the movie with her character in this film.

It's very difficult for me to rate this movie. On the one hand, it wasn't scary enough for me since I knew what the nature of the beast was already. It had lots of cliche-ish moments typical of other horror movies. On the other hand, this movie maintained exceptional continuity with the 1982 movie, and I was entertained.

I'd rate it a 7 out of 10. Compare this to a strong 9, possibly a 10 out of 10 for the 1982 movie. The deduction for being a cliche horror movie was made up by maintaining a close tie to the 1982 sequel.

I recommend this movie as a scary movie for those of you who have never seen The Thing (1982). Then go see that movie.

For those of you who have seen The Thing (1982), I would recommend this movie not as a scary movie but as a curiosity. See what the Norweigian team did 3 days before the American team found the dog.
    Last edited by gunnut; 17 Oct 11,, 20:00.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Two thumbs up to the review.

Was not planning on watching it since the one with Rusell wasn't to my liking but your review got me interested.

Comment

You know what I've just noticed?

This movie was not in 3D... A refreshing surprise...
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
      X