What aircraft have you owned/flown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What aircraft have you owned/flown?

In the spirit of the "What guns do you own?" and "What vehicles to you own?" threads, I thought I'd ask current and former aviators of military and/or civilian backgrounds what aircraft they have owned or flown. I'll start with my modest effort, I used to have an ultralight pilots licence and flew (but didn't own) a Skyfox Gazelle. Here is a picture of one (my school's was yellow).

Recreational Pilots | Flying the RAAus Skyfox Gazelle
    "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

What about remote controlled planes?

Comment

I, personally, have never owned an aircraft, but my family has; my father owned a Cessna 172, 336 Skymaster, three North American T-6/SNJ trainers, and two Waco UPF-7's. He had to sell them since he lost his medical, but my oldest brother still owns a Cessna 195. I have flown all but the UPF's (I was his "autopilot" on cross-country trips in the others), and I've taken off and landed in everything but the tail draggers (I guess they didn't want me performing a ground loop!). My favorite was the T-6 since it was the first aircraft I flew inverted.
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
        I, personally, have never owned an aircraft, but my family has; my father owned a Cessna 172, 336 Skymaster, three North American T-6/SNJ trainers, and two Waco UPF-7's. He had to sell them since he lost his medical, but my oldest brother still owns a Cessna 195. I have flown all but the UPF's (I was his "autopilot" on cross-country trips in the others), and I've taken off and landed in everything but the tail draggers (I guess they didn't want me performing a ground loop!). My favorite was the T-6 since it was the first aircraft I flew inverted.
        I shouldn't have posted this thread because now I have a severe case of "father envy"!

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
          What about remote controlled planes?
          Break a leg mate, there is nothing mediocre about flying or building RC or control line aircraft. I reckon sitting in the cockpit is an easier task!

Comment

never owned a plane, but have flown 172's, 177's, 185's, and all the simulators at Boeing. :)
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Used to fly these all of the time...
              Attached Files
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Rubber band propulsion - environmentally friendly!
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Owned: I've only owned one airplane in my life, a pretty little blue Grumman AA-1B two seater. Wife got pregnant. Plane sold.

I've been a pilot or a crew member in...

Various piston singles and twins
                  Schweizer 1-26, 2-22, 2-33, 1-34 gliders
                  T-37, T-38, F-15, F-16, F-4

Boeing 727, 737, 757, 767, 777
                  MD-80, MD-11

The gliders were great fun, and something I really miss. It's a very pure form of flight. The Germans had the right idea, starting their Luftwaffe guys in gliders in the 1930's.

The F-4 was a brute. The F-16 was odd in that it had so few aerodynamic cues. A very "quiet" airplane, very smooth. Of all the transports, the 777 was the most user-friendly.

Comment

Flown a Schweizer SGS 2-33 glider. I didn't like flying gliders much and thought they where rather boring. Maybe if I had flown in one before doing a power flight in a Cessna I would have felt differently?

Cessna 172 or Cessna 182 possibly both? It was in the Cadet program as a kid. Pretty fun.

Imagine four teenagers screwing around in an aircraft. I loved it. We used to try and float objects at a certain level in the cockpit. Otherwise just bounce them off the ceiling and have a laugh. I remember getting smacked in the head pretty hard with some oil cans that where in the rear cargo area when it was my turn in the back seat.

Never got to land anything though our buddy with the license had to do that.

I also got to fly a helicopter once. The missus got me a ride for my birthday a few years ago. I got to try and hover six feet off the ground and everything! The pilot was an ex police pilot and was very good. It was amazing and scary. It was a tiny R-22 and they don't look like they should be in the air.

Originally posted by GVChamp
                    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Now, as a passenger I have a whole bunch of time in various makes and models....but I have 37 fewer landings in aircraft than I have take offs!
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Ha that's funny.

I've always wanted to try skydiving.
                        Originally posted by GVChamp
                        College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

I've only been skydiving once but it was worth every single cent of the $500NZ that I paid. Very few things compare to a freefall from 15,000 feet, especially if you're scared of heights, like I am
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Repatriated Canuck View Post

I also got to fly a helicopter once. The missus got me a ride for my birthday a few years ago. I got to try and hover six feet off the ground and everything! The pilot was an ex police pilot and was very good. It was amazing and scary. It was a tiny R-22 and they don't look like they should be in the air.
                            If the wings are travelling faster than the fuselage it's probably a helicopter therefore inherently unsafe

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              Now, as a passenger I have a whole bunch of time in various makes and models....but I have 37 fewer landings in aircraft than I have take offs!
                              Take off is voluntary but landing is mandatory...one way or the other

Comment

Working...
                              X