Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany to cut military by 30,000

Germany to cut military by 30,000

BERLIN, Germany (AP) -- Germany will reduce the size of its military by 30,000, or nearly one-tenth, by 2010 as part of a streamlining and modernization effort, the government announced.

Defense Minister Peter Struck said Thursday the Bundeswehr would be trimmed by 30,000, with 250,000 servicemen and servicewomen remaining in place.

He cited Germany's hard-pressed public finances and the need to adapt the military to reflect the nation's current security needs. Already, the military is in the midst of a long-term overhaul aimed at cutting spending and switching its focus from the Cold War task of fending off attack from the Soviet Union to duties such as peacekeeping and crisis management.

Under the new cuts, its civilian work force will be reduced by 45,000 to 75,000. Struck also said 100 military facilities -- out of a total 530 -- will be closed down.

The German military's chief of staff, Wolfgang Schneiderhan, is to draw up details of the cuts by the end of this year, Struck said, with a decision expected at the end of 2004 on what facilities will be closed.

Germany currently has some 10,000 troops deployed in missions abroad, ranging from peacekeeping missions in Afghanistan and the Balkans to patrolling shipping lanes off the Horn of Africa as part of the U.S.-led war against terrorism.

The United States has long pressed Germany and other European countries to lift defense spending, even before the September 11 attacks. But Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's government is troubled by near-zero growth and a budget deficit that this year, for the second year running, is set to break a limit imposed by the European Union.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Despite the need for peace keepers, any time Germany has less troops that’s a good thing.

Comment

Spoken by someone who has absolutely no idea what current peacekeeping (misnamed btw - your own DoD terms these combat ops) ops entails.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
        Spoken by someone who has absolutely no idea what current peacekeeping (misnamed btw - your own DoD terms these combat ops) ops entails.
        So you'd like to see a bigger German army?

Comment

I thaugt i heard that they were going to expand their military, not cut it.

Comment

A bigger German army doesn't exactly instill fear in me.

We have kicked their asses twice in the last century, i doubt they're game for a round 3.

Comment

What I like to see is the BW taking on more responsibilities whether that means a bigger army or not. There is absolutely no question that the US is pulling the lionshare of the work but the UK and Canada has been punching far above their weights.

It's time that the other NATO members take over alot of the responsibilities and let us go home or go do what they won't do.

It's time the Europeans start taking care of Europe and no, we have not fought two wars in Europe. We've fought four. WWI, WWII, Bosnia, and Kosovo. We've fought those wars. It's time they take care of the peace and if that means a bigger BW, then all the power to them.

Comment

Don't hold your breath waiting for Europe to pull their share of the load Sir, i'd hate to see you pass out from lack of oxygen. ;)

Comment

Deutchland uber alles? Ich bin ein Berliner.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sprechenze huh? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                      What I like to see is the BW taking on more responsibilities whether that means a bigger army or not. There is absolutely no question that the US is pulling the lionshare of the work but the UK and Canada has been punching far above their weights.
                      Americans do actually appreciate the effort countries like Canada, Spain, Poland, and especially Britain have made to help the United States. Just off of curiosity, do you think the United states is pulling its share?

It's time that the other NATO members take over alot of the responsibilities and let us go home or go do what they won't do.

It's time the Europeans start taking care of Europe and no, we have not fought two wars in Europe.
                      With the exception of Germany, I'd say that is true. Germany, as a nation, is responsible for millions of needless deaths. In my opinion, they have lost their right to ever make war for any reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                        Deutchland uber alles? Ich bin ein Berliner.
                        Sprechenze huh? ;)
                        I didn't realize that I stumbled on to a German Board.

Comment

Leader,
                          Ja, ich kann duetsch.
                          Kak vashe dzarovye?
                          Es ist kiene Duetscher board. Es ist US.
                          Auf widersehen.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

All Ray said was that he was a Berliner. I am getting a C in Germany, and I still know that, lol.

Comment

Leader,

The US is not pulling its share in NATO. The US IS NATO. The rest of us are mere spear carriers. There is absolutely no doubt the US can do the job without us. It's just that the US can do the job better and faster with us than without. When the US commits entire divisions to SFOR and IFOR and the rest of us are committing battalions, including the Brits, the difference in scale of committement is obvious.

Now, compare this to the fact that Germany, Italy, and Turkey have just as large armies as the US. Add to the fact that everyone is committing battalions and countries like Canada only have 12 manouver battalions, you know who's been pulling their weight and who hasn't and who has been punching far above their weights and who's been slurching.

Germany is not above waging proxy war. They've done it in the Balkans. The T-72 we've faced at Medak was furnished by the Germans. The mercs we've faced in Krajina were former BW members.

Comment

Working...
                              X