PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 and newer does not work with Windows 98

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 19:46
Guess what I just found out? :rolleyes:

Windows 98, Firefox 2, K6 running at 350 MHz, just can't quite navigate today's world wide web...

One of my hobbies is to make old things work.

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 19:53
Guess this particular one failed, eh?

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 19:59
Guess this particular one failed, eh?

Not yet. I can still try to upgrade the browser (IE5) to IE6. IE5 doesn't work too well. I know most of the net still works for IE6. And also I need to replace the old IBM "death star" drive (whopping 4.3 GB of storage space) to a shiny old WD 20 GB drive. That "death star" makes a high pitched whiny sound (reminds me of old Yeller here :tongue:) that I just can't stand.

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 20:05
And what are you going to do with this wonderful relic once you have it up and running?

YellowFever
07 Sep 11,, 20:42

Windows 98, Firefox 2, K6 running at 350 MHz, just can't quite navigate today's world wide web...

Earth shattering news!

Someone notify Fox News. :tongue:

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 21:39

One of my hobbies is to make old things work.

It has a modem or 10/100 Ethernet?

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 22:16
And what are you going to do with this wonderful relic once you have it up and running?

It will be a running relic.

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 22:20
It will be a running relic.

Good enough, I guess...

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 22:21
It has a modem or 10/100 Ethernet?

10base2

Nah I'm just kidding. It has a 10/100 network card on PCI. However, I've noticed that I can only hit 450KB/s transfer rate when I copy a large file over. My wireless-G is faster than that, which shouldn't be the case.

Oh, it has a 5.25" floppy drive too, plus 2 USB1 ports on a PCI slot.

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 22:23
10base2

Nah I'm just kidding. It has a 10/100 network card on PCI. However, I've noticed that I can only hit 450KB/s transfer rate when I copy a large file over. My wireless-G is faster than that, which shouldn't be the case.

My guess, The 450kB transfer is due to the architecture and the old HDD.

5,25" FDD and USB together? Man that machine is a museum of it's own. DVD? :biggrin:

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 22:27
Are you going to get it running as is and use it to the best its abilities, or are you going to upgrade the shite out of it?

ArmchairGeneral
07 Sep 11,, 23:22

How...why...wha...

Actually, I hope there's a bunch of people keeping things like that running. Be nice to have a chain of working technology going back through the years so we don't lose archived data in obsolete formats. Props to you sir.

Though I still don't understand why it had that combo in the first place...

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 23:30
My guess, The 450kB transfer is due to the architecture and the old HDD.

5,25" FDD and USB together? Man that machine is a museum of it's own. DVD? :biggrin:

The 2 USB ports sit on a PCI adapter. Every single computer with a FDD port still supports the 5.25" drive. The trick is to find a working drive and the cable for it. It has a 48x CDROM. No burner though. I forgot what video card I put in there. It's AGP and might be a Voodoo 3 2000. Sound card might be a Sound Blaster Live! that I had lying around. Or it could be a cheapy SB compatible. I don't think it could handle an Audigy.

It's not a bad computer, for 1999. The K6-2 (Chomper) was state of the art back then.

Amazing what has since taken place in the PC world in a little over 10 years. We now have 4 cores running at 10x the speed housing 16x the memory and 100x the storage space, all at the same price.

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 23:34
Are you going to get it running as is and use it to the best its abilities, or are you going to upgrade the shite out of it?

It will be upgraded to the extent of the board's capability, which is AGP 2.0, PCI, and 168 pin SDRAM (I think that's what I have in there).

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 23:35
How...why...wha...

Actually, I hope there's a bunch of people keeping things like that running. Be nice to have a chain of working technology going back through the years so we don't lose archived data in obsolete formats. Props to you sir.

Though I still don't understand why it had that combo in the first place...

Why do guys do certain things? Just to see if they can be done.

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 23:42
And in the less space.

About the FDD, I am aware it is possible to plug 5.25 in any house, plug the cable for the CD and it should use the same empty slot on the house. 5.25 that works is hard to find.

Considering the speed of the net, the more I think, I am certain it's all about the HDD transfer rate or the way you did the network (hub/router).

SB Live? Tell me you have zip drive somewhere too :rolleyes:

ArmchairGeneral
08 Sep 11,, 00:13
Why do guys do certain things? Just to see if they can be done.

But still...who used 5.25's in '99? Like using 3.5" floppies today. Just weird.

gunnut
08 Sep 11,, 00:43
And in the less space.

About the FDD, I am aware it is possible to plug 5.25 in any house, plug the cable for the CD and it should use the same empty slot on the house. 5.25 that works is hard to find.

Considering the speed of the net, the more I think, I am certain it's all about the HDD transfer rate or the way you did the network (hub/router).

SB Live? Tell me you have zip drive somewhere too :rolleyes:

Now that you mentioned it...I think I have an internal Zip 100 IDE drive around somewhere. I also have an external USB Zip 100 that should still work.

Ever heard of a Clik! drive? I have one of those too, that plugs into a PCMCIA slot. Still have 2 Click! discs in the original wrapper.

gunnut
08 Sep 11,, 00:47
But still...who used 5.25's in '99? Like using 3.5" floppies today. Just weird.

You're talking to an Asian redneck geek who plays hockey.

ArmchairGeneral
08 Sep 11,, 00:57
An excellent point...

Doktor
08 Sep 11,, 15:46
Now that you mentioned it...I think I have an internal Zip 100 IDE drive around somewhere. I also have an external USB Zip 100 that should still work.

Ever heard of a Clik! drive? I have one of those too, that plugs into a PCMCIA slot. Still have 2 Click! discs in the original wrapper.

I remember the Click, however it wasn't much of a success over here. Being a graphic designer, when I worked in a studio we had all the possible readers back in the 90s. It was a mess, DEC, Mammoth, QIC, Zips, Clicks, racks for HDD's... Finally people settled with CD's and we had two empty rooms.

I am sure your relic we talk about here is still good for page layout SW, just put enough RAM :) Too bad it wont surf and play games tho :biggrin:

USSWisconsin
08 Sep 11,, 17:17
:fish:I've got some copies of Win 95 C - it was a rare thing - Win98 came out about 2 weeks later and the C version of 95 was only offered on a few OEM installations - it was a very stable version of 95 (it is still used a a POS OS in many stores). And Win ME another flash in the pan OS - and the most recent version of DOS avaialble from MS... These old OS's do some things that have been stripped from later versions - they are especially good at recording samples from CD's. Of course I have some 5.25" floppies with some great old DOS games - which only work on slow machines - back when the games used the CPU clock - I tried one on a newer machine once - it played the whole game in a few seconds - I didn't get a chance to do much... This stuff is a lost art I'm afraid - those who can make it work have unique skills - perhaps they will be in demand again some day? ;)I like showing it to "know it all" kids - who claim they can make computers do anything they want them too... What is an IRQ? What is WININI?:confused::whome:

YellowFever
08 Sep 11,, 18:16
Whiskey, the reason why later versions of Windows can't record without an add on prog is because they have that feature turned off because they don't want to infringe on any copyright laws or even appear to infringe upon it.

Go to audio properties and check "Stereo Mix" and you'll get all the features back that you had with Win 95 and "Sound Recorder" will perform the same way it did with earlier versions of Window. It'll record.from your computer speakers intead of micropone. Good way to record anything you might hear through the speakers.

I got a 586 with 133 mhz with 3 gig hd that that uses Win 95 that I've used up to a couple of years ago to exclusively run old arcade games (Missile Command, Asteroids, Dig Dug, Pole Position, , Galaxian, Space Invaders, Battle Tank...etc). Last time I turned it on, it worked like a charm.

Thanks for reminding me, gunnut, I should crank that sucker up to see if it stil works.

gunnut
08 Sep 11,, 19:01
Update: the IBM Deathstar drive died last night. Well, it didn't die, but it had some bad sectors and the computer would freeze whenever it tried to access that bad sector. Guess I will have to replace it with the WD drive now, which I planned to do anyways.

I found my Sound Blaster Live! card. I will try to put it in to replace the current generic sound card with it. This CPU won't have the power to drive an Audigy 2.

The video card is a Voodoo 3 2000. For those of you who remember, Voodoo was THE gaming card in the mid to late 1990s. nVidia caught up to the Voodoo 3 with TNT2. Voodoo was never the same after that.

I found the setup file for IE6 and installed it last night. It runs so much better than IE5 and FF2. Although Windows Update for Win98 seems to be down for some odd reason...:rolleyes:

Of course, Starcraft is the first and only game loaded on this machine.

paintgun
08 Sep 11,, 20:19
I found my Sound Blaster Live! card.
i've used this card on several PCs, used Audigy once, but was not impressed with it, granted it was a dumbed down version of the real Audigy
onboard sound is excellent nowadays, so i don't bother with soundcards anymore

Of course, Starcraft is the first and only game loaded on this machine.
ahh... Jim Raynor on 2D sprites

this bring back memories, my first PC with 122Mhz proc, and Realm on 5" FDD, swapping disks while you play :p
and train station wallpaper on Windows 95 :)
and the salivating over new Pentium II 450Mhz!

and today's cell(smart)phone runs on dual 1Gig core

gunnut
17 Oct 11,, 20:22
Finally remembered to upload pictures. Do these bring back memories or what?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/blurr91/computers/IMG_2334.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/blurr91/computers/IMG_2336.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/blurr91/computers/IMG_2339.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/blurr91/computers/IMG_2340.jpg

Doktor
17 Oct 11,, 22:16
Gunnut, you cheater, there is NO WAY, I mean N O W A Y that PC that old would be so clean :biggrin:

Also, where do you hide the empty cans of beer (you know the liquid you consumed while waiting for the files to copy)

Do these bring back memories or what?
Oh happy days...

Julie
17 Oct 11,, 22:50
He cleaned it first, I know because that is what mine looked like in 98' when I used to open it up and air dust it. :mad:

Doktor
17 Oct 11,, 22:53
He cleaned it first, I know because that is what mine looked like in 98' when I used to open it up and air dust it. :mad:

Defragmentation, Julie's way

FJV
19 Oct 11,, 18:38
The wire mess reminded me of problems I've had with my PC.

For some strange reason if you didn't neatly tape the flatcables for the harddrive against the PC wall, the PC couldn't detect it.

With my current PC the same stuff, the external harddrive does not get detected when connected to 1 USB port, yet does work when plugged in to another one.

All kinds of interference stuff.