PDA

View Full Version : Worst Songs of the '90s

xinhui
07 Sep 11,, 06:05
Music Blogs > The Rolling Stone Blog > 'Barbie Girl' Tops Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s

'Barbie Girl' Tops Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s
Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011 3:57pm PDT by Andy Greene in The Rolling Stone Blog

When people look back on a decade's music they tend to focus on the good stuff - but the people who lived through the time period know better. While the 1990s certainly had amazing music, not everything on the radio was Nirvana or Radiohead. Michael Bolton, Kenny G. and Vanilla Ice sold enough records to fill 500 landfills - which is where most of those records now reside.

Last week, Rolling Stone asked readers to vote for the worst song of the 1990s. And topping the list is Aqua's "Barbie Girl."

"Barbie Girl" - written by the Danish dance-pop group Aqua - is an incredibly polarizing song. Many people were offended by the portrayal of a woman as a man's plastic doll, begging him to "undress me everywhere." Others loved the over-the-top cartoonish video and bizarre sound of the song.

Mattel (the makers of Barbie) were less than pleased that their product was being presented in such an overtly sexual way and filed a lawsuit. The courts ruled that the song was a parody and thus permissible, but Mattel took it all the way to the Supreme Court. The company had a change of heart in 2009, when they changed the lyrics and used the song in an ad campaign.

ROLLING STONE'S WORST '90s SONG ENTRIES, 2-10:

2. Los Del Rio, "Macarena"

3. Billy Ray Cyrus, "Achy Breaky Heart"

4. Vanilla Ice, "Ice Ice Baby"

5. Chumbawamba, "Tubthumping"

6. Hanson, "MMMBop"

7. Celine Dion, "My Heart Will Go On" :eek:

8. Baha Men, "Who Let The Dogs Out?"

9. Right Said Fred, "I'm Too Sexy"

10. 4 Non Blondes, "What's Up?"

xinhui
07 Sep 11,, 06:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

Officer of Engineers
07 Sep 11,, 06:21
7. Celine Dion, "My Heart Will Go On" :eek:You know something, Andy. I never let CDF knew of my hatre of SWSNBN. Namely, it's not the forum for it. Should I end CDF's happy ignorance?

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 07:38
Can we expand the list?

I have several songs coming to my mind, for 1. Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 09:14
I dunno, I kinda like "Tubthumping" and "What's Up".

This one, however, should have definitely been on the list:

Snow - Informer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StlMdNcvCJo

07 Sep 11,, 09:22
Cant recall which was the worst but a trip down memory lane is nice..
uS870zCCAwM
o0dhp8NeQkc

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 09:24
Cant recall which was the worst but a trip down memory lane is nice..
uS870zCCAwM

Dude, Black Velvet is an awesome song! How dare you?!

Besides, it was recorded in 1988 and released in the US in 1989

07 Sep 11,, 09:36
if you are into that kind of thing...:biggrin:
i guess your right about the date, it certainly fells that way ...
ie 80's music.

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 09:39
if you are into that kind of thing...:biggrin:
i guess your right about the date, it certainly fells that way ...
ie 80's music.

Fail!

07 Sep 11,, 09:43
Fail!

i apologize dok , here is a song to make up...:tongue:
yCazFSJFjm8

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 09:46
Much better ;)

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 09:56
i apologize dok , here is a song to make up...:tongue:
yCazFSJFjm8

Nothing at all Ironic about that song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

07 Sep 11,, 10:21
how could i forget boy bands...

Ug88HO2mg44

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 10:26
and the girl bands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76yFa28wlw

Double Edge
07 Sep 11,, 16:05
90s was not a bad decade for music, like the 60s & 70s, lots of new interesting genres especially in the electronic scene made it. Note this is not the sort of music you will ever hear on top of the pops or on the radio unless its dedicated to that sort of genre.

The 80s, however has got to be the worst decade.

Blue
07 Sep 11,, 16:46
I think the shorter list would be "Best songs of the 90's".:biggrin:

The 90's just kinda sucked for me and has been in constant decline. If we haven't hit bottom musically I fear to see the worst.:eek:

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 16:56
90s was not a bad decade for music, like the 60s & 70s, lots of new interesting genres especially in the electronic scene made it. Note this is not the sort of music you will ever hear on top of the pops or on the radio unless its dedicated to that sort of genre.

The 80s, however has got to be the worst decade.

I dunno, I kinda like a lot of the stuff from the 80's rock/metal/punk scene. Not so much the pop scene

Repatriated Canuck
07 Sep 11,, 17:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

That song is so bad that it is in fact awesome. Play it at a pub and watch how many people know all the lyrics and sing along!

xinhui
07 Sep 11,, 18:38
You know something, Andy. I never let CDF knew of my hatre of SWSNBN. Namely, it's not the forum for it. Should I end CDF's happy ignorance?

you are not alone in suffering -- my wife still listens to Kenny G. Misery love company, I guess.

FJV
07 Sep 11,, 19:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SwlqFc8RHA

tankie
07 Sep 11,, 19:38
T Rex's song , Baby you can drive my car :rolleyes::whome:

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 19:50
Music Blogs > The Rolling Stone Blog > 'Barbie Girl' Tops Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s

4. Vanilla Ice, "Ice Ice Baby"

Remember, "Ice Ice Baby" is not a ripoff of David Bowie's "Under Pressure." It has a different baseline...:rolleyes:

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 20:22
Remember, "Ice Ice Baby" is not a ripoff of David Bowie's "Under Pressure." It has a different baseline...:rolleyes:

David Bowie and Queen, I insist...

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 20:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SwlqFc8RHA

Dude, wtf was that?!

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 20:24
David Bowie and Queen, I insist...

I stand corrected.

bigross86
07 Sep 11,, 20:28
I stand corrected.

Speaking of which, did you know that two days ago was Freddie's 65th birthday?

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 22:34
Yep, Google changed the logo :biggrin:

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 22:35
Dude, wtf was that?!

That's Barbie girl on some veryyyyyyyyyyyy bad drugs :Dancing-Banana:

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 23:12

I did not know that. Freddie Mercury was one of the most talented singers of our generation.

Blue
08 Sep 11,, 02:03
I did not know that. Freddie Mercury was one of the most talented singers of our generation.

No telling what Queen would have done if he had lived. I consider Freddie the best male vocalist I have ever heard. You should read his wiki bio...amazing. Born Farouk Bulsara....I'd change my name too. He is missed.:frown:

Blue
08 Sep 11,, 02:17
As for the selected list, here is my thoughts;

1. Barbie girl............... Yep, its effin stupid.

2. Los Del Rio, "Macarena",......it was catchy, better listened to drunk.

3. Billy Ray Cyrus, "Achy Breaky Heart"...........Because of this song, I thought BRC should actually be shot.

4. Vanilla Ice, "Ice Ice Baby"........I can rap the whole damn thing. I use to use it as a crowd warmer when I D-Jay'd and ran a Karaoke set up. I'm not ashamed.

5. Chumbawamba, "Tubthumping".............I have been drunk more than 50% of the time I have heard this song. I liked it 65% of the time.

6. Hanson, "MMMBop".........I thought they were girls....and they suck.

7. Celine Dion, "My Heart Will Go On"...........too bad the song did too!

8. Baha Men, "Who Let The Dogs Out?"...........It should be banned....everywhere.

9. Right Said Fred, "I'm Too Sexy"...........Hell yeah! Me too! Loved it! Y'all should look up the re-make!

10. 4 Non Blondes, "What's Up?"....Had to look it up...I remember it now....I see four people that need a haircut and some job skills because they suck at music.

gunnut
08 Sep 11,, 02:45
No telling what Queen would have done if he had lived. I consider Freddie the best male vocalist I have ever heard. You should read his wiki bio...amazing. Born Farouk Bulsara....I'd change my name too. He is missed.:frown:

Frank Sinatra wasn't bad either. Each an amazing vocalist. Each with his own style that was and still is not rivaled.

Blue
08 Sep 11,, 03:28
Frank Sinatra wasn't bad either. Each an amazing vocalist. Each with his own style that was and still is not rivaled.

I'm a huge fan of Frank and the Rat pack. My Fave was Dino out of them all and not detracting from them, but for range, stage presence and awesomness, I gotta go with Freddie, and you know I never make such a decision lightly.;):rolleyes:

HKDan
08 Sep 11,, 03:54
[QUOTE=7thsfsniper;829526]

3. Billy Ray Cyrus, "Achy Breaky Heart"...........Because of this song, I thought BRC should actually be shot.

Agree, its not a good song. ....but, no matter where in Asia I am, when I get dragged to Karaoke, somewhere during the second or third bottle of Chivas, I can be counted on to break it out.

Officer of Engineers
08 Sep 11,, 04:58
Agree, its not a good song. ....but, no matter where in Asia I am, when I get dragged to Karaoke, somewhere during the second or third bottle of Chivas, I can be counted on to break it out.Chivas? You deserved to be shot.

Blue
08 Sep 11,, 05:02
Agree, its not a good song. ....but, no matter where in Asia I am, when I get dragged to Karaoke, somewhere during the second or third bottle of Chivas, I can be counted on to break it out.

My sympathies Dan...truly.:eek:

But honestly, if you can still stand and talk(much less sing) on your third bottle of chivas, who the hell am I to criticize.:cool::)

Blue
08 Sep 11,, 05:04
Chivas? You deserved to be shot.

:biggrin::biggrin:

bigross86
08 Sep 11,, 08:28
Speaking of Chivas, a couple weeks ago I had the pleasure to spend the weekend by some friends that have a whiskey cabinet with over 50 bottles. I had tasted over 40 of the bottles at some point or another, and we decided that it would not be right to not taste whatever else was in the closet. Friday night I enjoyed three different Scotches, but Saturday afternoon was truly a great time, when I was taken on a tour of 6 different bottles, including the Balvenie Golden Cask and (the connection to Chivas) the Strathisla, and we culminated with a grand finale: Aberlour A'bunadh, a cask strength serial number bottle that was 60.4% alcohol and went down even smoother than water.

HKDan
08 Sep 11,, 12:59
Chivas? You deserved to be shot.

Find me the KTV that serves Laphroaig...

But seriously, when in Shanxi and the KTV place has three English songs, I will sing "Achy Breaky" twice before submitting to "My Heart Will Go On"

FJV
08 Sep 11,, 19:56
It's Dutch gabber music.

The mosselman is an example of the more lighthearted humorous songs in the genre.

The dance you did to this was hakken (chopping) or zagen (sawing). And you need to shave your head bald and wear a training suit.

astralis
21 Sep 11,, 22:29
what's sad is that these sucky songs stick with you considerably longer than the good ones...

gunnut,

IIRC simon cowell once said that frank sinatra was actually not all that great of a vocalist, but that he was such an amazing PERFORMER that it more than made up.

either way, i have to say that one of the finer joys in life is driving past the golden gate into marin county and beyond, with frank sinatra playing.

Blue
22 Sep 11,, 03:08
Classic!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3531/saturday-night-live-the-sinatra-group

YellowFever
22 Sep 11,, 05:10
IIRC simon cowell once said......

And here I thought you were one of the smarter and saner ones on the board.....

astralis
24 Sep 11,, 04:58
And here I thought you were one of the smarter and saner ones on the board.....

oh how sadly mistaken you are...:biggrin:

here's my nomination:

Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart with lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouG22RzOmg)

bigross86
24 Sep 11,, 10:02
oh how sadly mistaken you are...:biggrin:

here's my nomination:

Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart with lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouG22RzOmg)

How can you already nominate something that's on the list?