PDA

View Full Version : wars on computer games

earthfox12
25 Aug 11,, 15:39
THOSE insensitive computer game developers! they do everything for money!! don't you think!! my forefathers were all brave war veterans and some still managed survived the horror of WWII in the Pacific and in Europe! how dare they (computer game developers) use the theme of WWII and all other wars to be played by other people for fun?! that isn't fair! they were not there when it happened and surely they did not suffer the consequences!! i hate them!!

observer7
25 Aug 11,, 16:05
Bot? Spam? Please introduce yourself in the introductions thread if you are not a bot that is.

Red Seven
25 Aug 11,, 21:56
THOSE insensitive computer game developers! they do everything for money!! don't you think!! my forefathers were all brave war veterans and some still managed survived the horror of WWII in the Pacific and in Europe! how dare they (computer game developers) use the theme of WWII and all other wars to be played by other people for fun?! that isn't fair! they were not there when it happened and surely they did not suffer the consequences!! i hate them!!

I am a combat-wounded warrior and I love insensitive computer game developers, especially the ICGDs who made the Call of Duty, Battlefield Bad Company and Medal of Honor series. In fact I've enjoyed many hours icing Nazi's, Taliban and assorted terrorists and insurgents while drinking my favorite iced beverage. :cool:

Mihais
25 Aug 11,, 23:06
The best thing is you can always reload on a previous save.Damn real life doesn't allow it.:redface:

bigross86
25 Aug 11,, 23:14
Definitely a bot.

Doktor
25 Aug 11,, 23:19
Chew-toy gods still on vacation.

Speaking of which, Ben you think we will hear from Dubi in September?:confu:

bigross86
25 Aug 11,, 23:36
Doubtful. Dude was banned not once, but twice. I don't see him coming back here, unless he has some sort of Martyr complex. I do see an influx of new agitators, however

USSWisconsin
25 Aug 11,, 23:54

Woo Hoo - The fair is held at the fair grounds, normally at the end of summer, just about now (a few weeks late here, the fair is over in WI)... If you want a fair - go there...

snapper
26 Aug 11,, 07:40
Had a go at Rome Total War... got bored fairly quick. I understand that if you're a computer geek you can make some vaguely realistic scenarios on it; see this pc re-enactment of Omdurman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re3k7frNVZY&playnext=1&list=PL3F90AFAB4BB65AA5

RollingWave
26 Aug 11,, 08:19
Had a go at Rome Total War... got bored fairly quick. I understand that if you're a computer geek you can make some vaguely realistic scenarios on it; see this pc re-enactment of Omdurman: Battle of Omdurman - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re3k7frNVZY&playnext=1&list=PL3F90AFAB4BB65AA5)

The Total War series have pretty good engines but terrible historical accuracy, the fan made mods for RTW and M2TW are much better then the originals.

I like KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the Ambitions of Oda Nobunaga series quite a bit. (though those are hard to come by in the west)

Red Seven
26 Aug 11,, 13:27
We are looking forward to the release of the next COD/MW, in November, I think. I've changed the oil and spark plugs on the XBOX so we are in a state of combat readiness. :cool:

gunnut
26 Aug 11,, 20:27
The best thing is you can always reload on a previous save.Damn real life doesn't allow it.:redface:

There is no respawn in RL...:tongue:

xinhui
26 Aug 11,, 23:46
The Total War series have pretty good engines but terrible historical accuracy, the fan made mods for RTW and M2TW are much better then the originals.

I like KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the Ambitions of Oda Nobunaga series quite a bit. (though those are hard to come by in the west)

OMG, an old timer! waste much time with those DOS based games.

astralis
27 Aug 11,, 05:47
was always a fan of civ 2. civ 4 was good too. the latest civ is utter dreck.

shogun 2 has been a fun game.

Nightowl
29 Aug 11,, 00:58
Better to play war on the computer than to have to fight them in real life I would say.

<3 Battlefield series and Europa Universalis series

Pedicabby
29 Aug 11,, 02:32
I cant wait for Pac Man and Donkey Kong to be back in style.

Monash
29 Aug 11,, 15:03
"OMG, an old timer! waste much time with those DOS based games."

You think thats "old time" try Age of Rifles!

Monash
29 Aug 11,, 15:07

I'm sure those "forefathers" would have gladly let someone "simulate" the wars they participated in - as an alternative to actually having to fight (and die) in them for real.

xinhui
06 Sep 11,, 18:35

installed Shogun 2 over the weekend, only to find my POS is too slow to run it even at the lowest graphic settings.

time to fire up those old DOS games.

Roosveltrepub
06 Sep 11,, 20:39
MTW2 with stainless steel, sicilian vespers or if you want a very unforgiving game deux lo vult imo is the best strat not fast twitch game

gunnut
06 Sep 11,, 20:44

Civ4 with Beyond the Sword expansion is pretty good. More ways to drain excess gold and cram more people into a city.

I probably asked you this once already, what's so bad about Civ5? I never bought it because I've heard many people say it's no good.

BB61Vet
06 Sep 11,, 22:47
Being a fan of 'build up and conquer' war sims, I'm very partial to Medieval II, total war (it's kinda old), and Pacific Storm (it's way old). Medieval II tends to be a bit more political in nature, Pacific Storm is about Japan vs. US in the pacific from a Navy standpoint and is quite historically accurate when set correctly. It even includes snippets of FDR's "Day of Infamy" speech.

xinhui
06 Sep 11,, 23:28
I have been playing the M2TW mod Broken Crescent over-and-over again. will check out stainless steel

astralis
07 Sep 11,, 00:05
gunnut,

I probably asked you this once already, what's so bad about Civ5? I never bought it because I've heard many people say it's no good.

everything. from the dumbed-down style of play, to a broken AI, to lack of units.

this site describes it best.

What Went Wrong? (http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html)

Doktor
07 Sep 11,, 00:08
gunnut,

everything. from the dumbed-down style of play, to a broken AI, to lack of units.

Now I am glad I stopped with Civ 4 :biggrin:

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 01:59
gunnut,

Thanks, now my work gets backed up even more...:tongue:

Tarek Morgen
07 Sep 11,, 02:11
For those playing Medieval 2, I would recommend the Third Age: Total War Mod. A complete conversion which allows you to conquer Middle-Earth with Orcs, Trolls, Wargs and Mūmakil (well you could also play as one of the good faction, but slaughtering Hobbits end Elves is simply much more fun).

For all your other world conquering needs I would suggest the Hearts of Iron series, which lets you replay the second world war with any country you like. Even Luxembourg or Bhutan.

In case the world is not enough and you want to extend your rule to outer space there is no better game than Master of Orion 2

gunnut
07 Sep 11,, 20:33
In case the world is not enough and you want to extend your rule to outer space there is no better game than Master of Orion 2

Dude now I have to dig up MOO2 from my piles of CDs...

MOO3 sucked from what I've heard. One review said it was more like "Administrators of Orion" rather than "Masters of Orion."

Tarek Morgen
07 Sep 11,, 21:11
MoO3 was so bad, it did not just kill the franchise, but pretty much destroyed the whole genre. Till today new Space X4 games are rare, and even fewer are worth their money

astralis
07 Sep 11,, 22:25
tarek,

For all your other world conquering needs I would suggest the Hearts of Iron series, which lets you replay the second world war with any country you like. Even Luxembourg or Bhutan.

for some reason i never found the HoI series very well designed. the EU series, especially EU3, was much more fun for me. i tried Victoria 2 but rapidly got bored.

yeah, MOO2 was great. of course, i always waited until my own tech was so strong that killing said Master of Orion was not all that difficult...

Tarek Morgen
08 Sep 11,, 00:37
for some reason i never found the HoI series very well designed. the EU series, especially EU3, was much more fun for me. i tried Victoria 2 but rapidly got bored.

I do play (and enjoy) the EU series as well, but I feel more at home with HoI..maybe because it was the first of the Paradox titles I played. Though I did not get into HoI3 and EU3. I only played Victoria 1 but it bored me as well. One big bonus EU has is the longer timespan, but I don't like the simplistic combat & research system.

yeah, MOO2 was great. of course, i always waited until my own tech was so strong that killing said Master of Orion was not all that difficult

Playing unmodded this was quite early possible by using weapons like the destabilizer since it ignored shield and armour. Also if you created a custom race and picked the right perks the game became extremely easy.

xinhui
08 Sep 11,, 23:09
"OMG, an old timer! waste much time with those DOS based games."

You think thats "old time" try Age of Rifles!

16 bit memory

AdityaMookerjee
29 Nov 11,, 01:31
My favourite war strategy game is 'Hearts of Iron 3'. I have never completed the game, though.

USSWisconsin
29 Nov 11,, 03:41
I've been playing Combat Missions: Africa Corps, an older game I had laying around for years. Got a new pc and wanted to try a game (I hadn't gamed for at least 5 years) - the old game doesn't work perfectly with the modern graphics, but it works adequately (a few annoying flickering artifacts at the edge of the screen). I've been whomping an Italian armored corps who are attacking a fortified city, held by a reinforced, mixed Commonwealth and French battalion with a rediculous number of dug in guns (they are also supported by an 8" gun cruiser squadron off shore - who blast the advancing Italian tank columns into splinters with pleasing regularity). The big Italian AA guns are nasty, but their tanks are fodder - the Maltildas are like Tigers to them. It isn't a fair fight, but it is fun, the question to be decided is how many turns until they surrender. Every naval bombardment salvo yeilds hundreds of enemy causualties. The AI doesn't handle the Italian attacks very well, but the Italians already in town put up a reasonable defense, though the French mortars have taken a terrible toll.