Holy Crap!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Crap!!!

We just had a 5.8 magnitude earthquake here in Central Virginia!!!

Phone lines out
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    We just had a 5.8 magnitude earthquake here in Central Virginia!!!

Phone lines out
    You guys OK? Is everything there built to withstand this type of tremors? I know 5.8 over here could barely get people to notice.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Keep safe and watch out for after shocks.

Comment

The local phone lines are down.

I thought maybe the Republicans and Democrats in Congress had come up with a plan to work together or something...or Robert E. Lee had risen from the grave!
        Mark Twain

Comment

it shook for a while in the Pentagon. evoked some bad memories...
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            Amen, brother, Amen.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
              That must have been going through some minds for a while. Thankfully, if it can be put that way, it was an earthquake.

Comment

Just felt it all the way here in Toronto. Hope everything is ok in Virginia.
                Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

A 5.8 centered in Virginia came our way shook everything from Virginia to Pennsylvania to New Jersey to New York. My whole house and neighborhood shook.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

felt it here downtown NYC, my building shook very little, 2 shocks about 1 sec long few seconds apart.
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

How can anyone actually feel a 5.8 quake? We usually dismiss that as a fat guy walking by here in California. You guys are a bunch of amateurs...

Comment

East Coasters.........can't even do an earthquake right.

Seriously, becareful over there. Could be a scary thigs for someone not used to it.

Comment

I work on the top floor of our building in NJ. I felt the floor rumbling then my office shook a bit. Then I could feel the building swaying and heard something rattling above. After a brief WTF?!?! moment it occurred to me it was time to get the hell out.

They evacuated the building and sent everyone home.

I couldn't believe it was all the way in Virginia considering how strong I felt it in NJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
                            I work on the top floor of our building in NJ. I felt the floor rumbling then my office shook a bit. Then I could feel the building swaying and heard something rattling above. After a brief WTF?!?! moment it occurred to me it was time to get the hell out.

They evacuated the building and sent everyone home.

I couldn't believe it was all the way in Virginia considering how strong I felt it in NJ.
                            I read somewhere that shaking from earthquakes propagates much further in the Eastern US than in California.
                            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                              I read somewhere that shaking from earthquakes propagates much further in the Eastern US than in California.
                              Really? How does that work? Single solid plate as opposed to 2 separate plates with million of fault lines?

As long as no one's hurt then it's all good. Just some frayed nerves.

Comment

Working...
                              X