BBC News - Sesame Street pair Bert and Ernie 'will not marry'

Sesame Street pair Bert and Ernie 'will not marry'
    Comments (562)
    Bert and Ernie Bert and Ernie have lived together for more than 40 years
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories

Perry pulled from Sesame Street
    Nigerians set to find out how to get to Sesame Square

The makers of Sesame Street say characters Bert and Ernie will not marry in a same-sex ceremony despite an online petition calling for the union.

Campaigners say the best friends should marry as a way to encourage tolerance of gay people.

Nearly 7,000 have signed the petition, with more than 3,000 joining a Bert and Ernie Get Married Facebook page.

A statement from the show's makers said: "They remain puppets and do not have a sexual orientation."

But they conceded that the pair are "male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics".

The confirmed bachelors have lived together for 40 years and sleep in the same bedroom, albeit in single beds.

"Bert and Ernie are best friends," the statement from Sesame Workshop added. "They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves.

The online petition states: "We are not asking that Sesame Street do anything crude or disrespectful," adding, "It can be done in a tasteful way. Let us teach tolerance of those that are different."

Sesame Street was created by TV producer Joan Ganz Cooney and psychologist Lloyd Morrisett in 1969 and gained a huge following, led by the creations of master puppeteer Jim Henson.

Beloved characters include Elmo, the Cookie Monster and Big Bird.

It is still watched in more than 140 countries and averages 120 million viewers worldwide.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

It amazes me that Sesame street is still going. I watched betamax tapes that relatives in the US would send to Asia when I was a kid and now, 30 freaking years later, my daughter laughs hysterically whenever Big Bird is on TV...just in Shanghai Big Bird is "Da Niao." Elmo, is still Elmo though. I guess that didn't translate. I don't really know what Bert and Ernie are called in Chinese, I guess I will have to watch some kids TV because now I am intrigued to find out. Just as clarification though, in Shanghai Bert and Ernie aren't gay, they are eternal bachelors because they can't afford to buy property and thus can't get married.

Comment

Sesame Street is all over the world, including Israel. It's a shame what they've done to Sesame Street, though. Cookie monster now eats vegetables. What has this world come to?!
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Cookie monster now eats vegetables. What has this world come to?!
        Indeed
        Attached Files
        “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

^^^Waldorf and Statler on Sesame Street, too?
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

One of the funniest quotes ever:

A statement from the show's makers said: "They remain puppets and do not have a sexual orientation."
            We used to love the muppets at home in part because of one of the characters Andy showed. Waldorf (the bald one) was a dead wringer for a larger than life American uncle of ours who visited us several times during the 1970s - when America was a distant & exotic place to kids from country Australia. The first time the Muppet Show came on everyone yelled 'uncle Charlie'! It was a family favourite from then on.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

same creator, but they would make a better couple then B and E if you ask me. ( you know who is the giver and who is the taker)

Comment

W&S are the best couple (hope we are not talking sexual) aired on TV ever!

I just love them as showed here
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

The question whether Ernie and Bert are gay - and the denials by the producers of the show - have been the same for 40 years. The producers have used the exact verbatim lines in the statement above for the past 20 years. Of course the statement is bullshit. Muppets are sexual. Miss Piggy / Kermit.

The German dub of Sesame Street explicitly cast Ernie and Bert as a gay couple at one point btw. The dubbing of "Would you like to buy an O?" in the German version (original 1971, dub 1973) included the line "come buy it, and give it to your wife" - "to Bert?".

Comment

some people have way to much time on their hands.
                    J'ai en marre.

Comment

Cookie monster now eats vegetables.
                      That's so wrong!

Comment

Tell me bout it....
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                          Tell me bout it....

Back then they were not afraid of the political correctness idiots.

Loved those days, I look back at it now and laugh to see how much of this has changed because people are told by these types of morons what is acceptable now days (bullshit) and what is not (straight up thinking, responsibility and the truth). Instead it had groomed nothing but control freaks that feel they must control everything.

Our days growing up would have been very boring if these coddling morons existed then. Instead, We were taught to think in realism and its repercussions if we made the wrong choices and to except the responsibility of those choices.

BTW, The old guys in the balcony ruled!
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 30 Aug 11,, 18:42.
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Waldorf and Stadler positively kicked ass!

Comment

If gay was normal everyone would be gay. I'd rather teach my kids about what gay is and that it's okay to be gay. Let kids be kids FFS. Why do we need to teach small children about sex and sexual orientation? Why does an innocent Muppet Show need to be sexualised? Help kids with the ABC's and 123's not that some people love and have sex with people of the same sex which is different than what mommy and daddy do..... In fact I'd rather them not know what mommy and daddy do anyway, if they are still watching Sesame Street I would imagine that sex is not something they would have the maturity to understand.

When I get asked I'm sure I'll need to explain the truth of things but I'd rather wait for the question and let my future children stay children for as long as possible. All a small child needs to know is where the no spots are.

I do not like gay culture rammed down my throat. I don't go around rubbing my sexual orientation in everyone's face. Up here in Yellowknife on gay day they gave out fruit sticks, was hilarious and witty I thought. Was it necessary though? Do you really need to come out to the post office and give out fruit and make out while handing out pamphlets? I don't normally see a group of straight people making out in front of the post office. If people did I'd think they are a nutbags too. I'd tell my buddy to get a room if he was all over his missus and I've heard it too when I was young. It makes people feel awkward.

Great you're gay I don't care. All I care about is if you're nice and if you are lets grab a beer or wine.

Keep sex out of a childrens program. Straight or gay, it doesn't belong there.
                              Last edited by Repatriated Canuck; 07 Sep 11,, 16:13.
                              Originally posted by GVChamp
                              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X