BB news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB news

AFAIK the provision in the House bill transferring title of the USS Iowa has survived. Im still trying to confirm this.

Look who is behind the USS Wisconsin transfer. Surprise, Surprise. Follow the money and the power.:

Bill would allow transfer of ownership for USS Wisconsin
    By KATE WILTROUT, The Virginian-Pilot
    © May 28, 2005

A bill pending in the Senate would allow the Navy to transfer ownership of the battleship Wisconsin as long as the ship stays in Virginia.

Moored next to Nauticus in downtown Norfolk since 2000 , the 887 -foot ship is maintained by the Navy and could be called back into service.

That would change with a provision that U.S. Sen. John Warner, chairman of the armed services committee, added to the defense authorization bill for fiscal year 2006 .

Warner’s provision would remove the ship from the Navy’s register of vessels.

“The intent of the legislation is that it remain in place as a valuable attraction for tourism in Norfolk,” Warner spokesman John Ullyot said .

Ullyot said the senator was approached by local community officials who wanted to assume control of the ship.

About 120,000 people visited the ship in 2003.

Only its deck is open to the public; its internal space is sealed off.

The Navy spends $675,000 to maintain the Wisconsin each year, according to Cmdr. Herman Phillips of Naval Sea Systems Command.

That's lame. Do something with it please. (Such as sinking it.)

Comment

For what purpose?

There's absolutely no purpose to sinking an Iowa.

Comment

We'll see soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
          That's lame. Do something with it please. (Such as sinking it.)
          Good god what can we learn from sinking a BB that we haven't already learned?? Plenty have been sunk in the past already (by cumalative damage from shells or torpedo's)and the only weapon in limited numbers that was feared by BB's wasn't bomb's or planes, it was the Fritz X glider bomb.

The Iowa's are the only surviving modern BB's still in operational condition left, we shouldn't sink even one.

Whats next, sink old Ironsides to see how she measures up to missiles?
          Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

All valid points, but as i previously stated, there's simply nothing else afloat in any navy in the world that is even remotely comparable to the level of protection enjoyed by an Iowa BB.

Sinking one would therefore serve no useful purpose whatsoever.

Comment

Is somebody like insane to even dream of sinking any of the Iowas? If the world goes to pieces they will be the first things they reach for to protect America at sea outside of nuclear arm and icbm's . Sink an Iowa, no offense guys but that has to be the dumbest idea ive heard yet. I have a better idea why dont we find out who owns the best surface naval weapons on the planet (besides us) build one of our own and have it out with an iowa class battleship at sea via video interlink with congress and the naval board in attendance. Then ask why we should keep them. I dont believe there would be any objections. Or offer them to another country and see how fast they disappear. I bet all would literally overnight. We should never harbor the thought of sinking any of them. Those four ships not only carry tradition, courage and honor but they also carry the hearts of those who built them and those who have sailed them and with them. If you werent a battleship sailor or from a family that produced one or fought on foreign shores while they pounded everything that attempts to do you harm then you will never understand the significance they carry nor the protection they offered to hundreds of thousands of allied soldiers while they were busy showing the world WHY we are Who we are. Dreadnoughts Rule ! (even in the modern day face it).
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Youll have to excuse Franco.

Hes only 16 I believe.

No one is talking about sinking any battleship in fact all the talk in Congress this year has been about turning USS Wisconsin from a de facto museum into a real one and also turning USS Iowa into a museum.

Or leaving them in Mobilization CAT B as possible NGFS assets.

Personally I think they will become museums but thats up to Congress.

We shall see soon enough.

Comment

I personally see no reason whatsoever to remove them from Cat B. They cost absolute peanuts to maintain that way.

Seems to me that someone is threatened by their continuing presence on the USN ship registry.

Could it perhaps be that someone has given them cause to feel threatened, like perhaps the idiots running the DD-X program?

Food for thought...

Comment

Sorry for snubbing you Franco,
                    I didnt realize your a youngen...lol
                    Its just these ships mean an awful lot to people of our (Ahem) age... and family history especially because not only did my father serve on Iowa in WWII but a very close friend served on New Jersey during the eighties.
                    The world was alot safer a place when these ships roamed the seas. When the U.S wanted to send a message to its foes during the greater part of the twentieth century in normally came in the form of the Iowa class battleships. They also signified spreading democracy as ambassadors of peace from a great nation.

Could you even imagine in this day and age a battle line consisting of the four Iowa class and the three fast battleships? wow what a sight. It would be reminiscent of a world war two navy magazine with Pennsylvania leading the battle line. They say a picture is worth a thousand words... One thing that picture spelled out in black and white was that you woke a sleeping giant .. and filled it with a terrible resolve now deal with the destruction that was coming from across the seas. What a country!
                    [IMG]jpg[/IMG]
                    Attached Files

Comment

One fully modernized Iowa BBG would have more killing power than every battleship ever built.

Combined.

Comment

Ahh technology !

Do you think they would ever look like that again though?

Comment

What, 7 gun laden BBs?

LOL...sadly, no chance.

Comment

Thats one of my favorite pictures, Pennsylvania, Maryland (IIRC) and three treaty cruisers (two Northampton class followed possibly by a Cleavland class CL).
                            Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                              One fully modernized Iowa BBG would have more killing power than every battleship ever built.

Combined.
                              One Iowa class BB with the 8 TLAM-Ns had more firepower than the combined WWII fleet.
                              F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Working...
                              X