PDA

View Full Version : For those who play guitar...

MIKEMUN
05 Jul 11,, 05:55
I am trying to buy THE Boss GT-10 processor. For those who have used it, how good is it? And while you are at it, if you play guitar, what is your favourite guitar, and why? I have always had a soft spot for Fender guitars. I can't afford the American made ones, so I stick to the Mexican made ones.

USSWisconsin
05 Jul 11,, 07:12
I too like the Fender Strat - I have an American Standard with a Warmoth Pro neck, I love it. I have enjoyed the Mexican versions too and may get a maple neck HSS one of these days (I like the new Tungsten color). I think I would outfit it with over-wound neck and reverse wound center pickups like the David Gilmore or SRV type. I would want the pull up knob to split the humbucker.

I am interested in effects right now, I am using a VOX VT-15 and it models some nice effects, but is limited in how many can be used together - or I least I am limited in my ability to do this. I have been considering a multi effects processor too - I have been steered toward Line-6 POG effects pedals by a serious musician friend - I am an amateur myself. I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard - it is very nice too - but the Strat is #1 for me. I have a borrowed Maple neck Ultra Strat HSS with EMG pickups right now (same friend) and to me it is the ultimate version. A Wah Wah is high on the list of pedals, and a multi pedal with an expression pedal setting would be nice. As everyone has heard, the Ukulele is helping me build my guitar abilities - for me it is much easier to play than the 6 string electric.

MIKEMUN
06 Jul 11,, 05:08
Line 6 products are also very good, apparently. I once had a Zoom multi-effects pedal. Didn't like it much, but that was years ago. I heard that their quality has improved now. Never played on a Les Paul before, but then I like single coil pickups more. The other day I was playing this cheap Chinese made guitar, and it put me off Chinese guitars for life! Fret buzz everywhere. You can't even play a decent tune on it.

What amps do you have? I have a really small marshall, and it is not enough for my needs. I would love to have a Mesa/Boogie one day. I played on it once and simply loved it.

USSWisconsin
06 Jul 11,, 08:01
I have a little battery powered Marshall, an Dan electro Honey Tone (also battery powered) and A VOX VT-15, I like the VOX a lot, the little ones are OK, but not very versatile - they are portable - they can fit right in the case with the guitar :biggrin:

The newer modeling amps (like the VT series) can simulate a lot of amps - many can do the Mesa Boogie

I saw a Chinese strat the other day - and played it - that one was ok - not great - but I didn't notice any fret buzz, some of the Chinese guitars are fine, a musician friend advised against buying a guitar you haven't tried first. I have had this experience buying used through mail order - problems and returns...

I have an HSS Strat too, it has a humbucker that can be turned up and down from dual to single coil - I really like that - it is like a turbo.... I agree the single coil has a certain special sound like nothing else. There are so many choices now. The humbucker is fatter and thicker sound - the single is crisper and special in its own way. They have reverse wound center singles which give the strat a humbucking effect- humbuckers were designed are to control the noise from lighting and mikes, for someone playing just a guitar, they aren't as important - more useful in a band setting.

I had a borrowed Fender twin reverb once, it was also pretty cool, they are very expensive now.

tankie
06 Jul 11,, 14:03
Strat and crafter semi acc , i fitted the strat with kent armstrong pick ups , one hot rail 2 cool rail , endless sustain in the right place , amp i gigged was a vox ac 30 , top power boost and blues speakers , eat yer hearts out surfs :biggrin: i then left the amp behind and used a pre/amp through the PA 1k rig , 2 peavey hysis 2s , good enuff for any gig , compact all fitted in the car .

USSWisconsin
10 Jul 11,, 16:55
Strat and crafter semi acc , i fitted the strat with kent armstrong pick ups , one hot rail 2 cool rail , endless sustain in the right place , amp i gigged was a vox ac 30 , top power boost and blues speakers , eat yer hearts out surfs :biggrin: i then left the amp behind and used a pre/amp through the PA 1k rig , 2 peavey hysis 2s , good enuff for any gig , compact all fitted in the car .

tankie, I'd love to hear you "operate" that rig - as always - I am inspired.

Yesterday I spent a few precious hours at my favorite music store and came home with a GCB 95 Dunlop Cry Baby and an AD9 Ibanez Analog Delay - they add something I've never heard before to my electric Uke - all the guys at the store wanted to try it - they made it sound like Hendrix was playing it... We used a Fender Blues Jr tube amp - that was faintly picking up radio stations...

I put them in this order: Les Paul Uke, Dunlop Wah Wah, Ibanez AD9, and Danelectro pepperoni phaser - then connected it to my VT15 with the "express train" and chorus settings and set it to LOUD- it was really something - my C - F - Am - G - Em - D progression had some new tricks... The AD9 even gave me some room to squeeze in a lead :biggrin:

Need more wires, will get some soon - I want to use the two outputs on the AD9 and the little Marshal to give a second channel w/o delay.

tankie
10 Jul 11,, 19:34
tankie, I'd love to hear you "operate" that rig - as always - I am inspired.

Yesterday I spent a few precious hours at my favorite music store and came home with a GCB 95 Dunlop Cry Baby and an AD9 Ibanez Analog Delay - they add something I've never heard before to my electric Uke - all the guys at the store wanted to try it - they made it sound like Hendrix was playing it... We used a Fender Blues Jr tube amp - that was faintly picking up radio stations...

I put them in this order: Les Paul Uke, Dunlop Wah Wah, Ibanez AD9, and Danelectro pepperoni phaser - then connected it to my VT15 with the "express train" and chorus settings and set it to LOUD- it was really something - my C - F - Am - G - Em - D progression had some new tricks... The AD9 even gave me some room to squeeze in a lead :biggrin:

Need more wires, will get some soon - I want to use the two outputs on the AD9 and the little Marshal to give a second channel w/o delay.

Soz m8 , my giggin days r over , howeveeeeeeeeeeeer i have a dvd of a gig when i was playing a westone thunder , and if i can find out how to seperate one of the pieces (i was playing the guit behind my back , hava nagilla ) i will post it for ya's , woo hoo ,but my bass player was a bit of a nasty pasty that night ,,nuff said fer now on that , but the pedal i used often was the morley volume power boost n cry babe light controlled , same as Hank Marvin used , a byoooooty .:biggrin: My ex accompanied on my gigs and it was easy peezy for her to carry the gear in , there ya go , cost me a fortune so she didnt break her back , see how i looked after my pack mules huh :biggrin: but it was to no avail as she took up with my best m8 the bass player so she cud gather info on my whereabouts n thoughts tryin to rip me off over my house , hahaha tankies always one step ahead , woo hoo and he;s still my m8 , but strangely , not herssssssssssssss :biggrin:

USSWisconsin
12 Jul 11,, 15:50
I tried the GT -10 - I wasn't very impressed. I liked the ME- 70 much better. These things are compromises, they simulate a whole bunch of pedals, and try to give you everything, but don't really give you the real thing - they require you to learn them and their programming "language" - like an instrument. If you figure out which effects you want - the actual devices have fine adjustments that aren't in the simulations - and the order you hook them up in does matter. I have been reading articles and trying the things out one by one or two or three at a time. A common factor in overdrives and distortion is saturating the amplifier with a strong preamp signal, tube amplifiers handle this very well - making it sustain and distort in a pleasing way. Other effects add something to certain songs, but wouldn't be used all the time. It seems like pro artists normally have several effects loops - one for lead, another for rhythm - some just for certain songs.

Some things I like so far: a Wah Wah pedal to permit user input to the effect while playing, a delay to extend the tone (there is a big difference in analog and digital delay), distortion to make it fatter, reverb for depth. I use a phaser on some songs, I don't care for the flanger - reverb is something that needs a foot switch to turn it off. I have tried chorus and tremolo they fit in nicely - tube overdrive is nice - all the time, an all tube amp is wonderful. Boss has a pedal called a Harmonist, it is really cool, very complex in what it can do - it also has an input for an expression pedal. Modeling amps are a great deal and can give you a lot of effects, cheaply.
BOSS U.S. - PS-6: Harmonist (http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1131)

Many of these different pedals do the same thing. Some brands like Digi - don't impress me at all - they have a thin cheap tone. BOSS is a good mid-priced brand with a nice tone. The "artist" series are generally more expensive - if money is a factor - I would avoid these.

Read up on the effects, the way they are grouped in the on-line stores will tell you which ones are similar and can be redundant (Musicians Friend has a bunch of good articles) and pick some to try at a music store - listen to You Tube demos. You tube is a great place to hear and learn about effects, Eric Johnson has some nice effects tutorials on You Tube.

Bottom line - spending 500$ on a GT-10 might teach you about what the effects do, but a ME -70 costs half as much and is more intuitive (lots of knobs) - but I suspect you would end up getting the ones you really wanted in their pure form later - doubling the expense.

USSWisconsin
02 Sep 11,, 18:45

A new amp - Peavy ValveKing 112
A new archtop - Epiphone DOT studio - walnut
new drums
new mike's
Autoharp

tankie
04 Sep 11,, 15:21
Whats the gibbo play like , the twin humbuckers should kick out some shit ,,, I still prefer strats tho , but horses for courses .

USSWisconsin
04 Sep 11,, 19:10
Whats the gibbo play like , the twin humbuckers should kick out some shit ,,, I still prefer strats tho , but horses for courses .

Plays like a dream - I like it - the strat is different - the dot has a warmer fuller sound, but it is more bluesy - with jazz overtones - the strat and LP have more classic rock tones - the new tube amp makes them all sound different... The sustain and crunch definately moved up to 10...

dave lukins
04 Sep 11,, 20:11

Anything with twin hamburgers get's your attention Eric...oh hambuckers... sorry!!! :biggrin:

tankie
04 Sep 11,, 21:41
Anything with twin hamburgers get's your attention Eric...oh hambuckers... sorry!!! :biggrin:

For such a Bard m8 yoru recenishiom of writted Enlgand is not verey gud :whome:

tankie
04 Sep 11,, 21:44
Has the zither got a pre peg chord board ??

USSWisconsin
05 Sep 11,, 17:47

it has 21 chords sort of coded with felt covered bars (the bars mute certain strings) - by pressing the keys - each chord can be played in 3 registers (hi, med ,lo) - I have a peizo pickup to put in it (it is an Oscar Schmitt pickup made for this model - so it fits in there perfectly) - I took it apart once - it has lots of little springs in there - in need to be careful not to loose them. I got it back together and ordered strings - now I have them and need to take it appart again to put the strings on and install the pickup. I am planning to run it through the tube amp, perhaps using a phaser and analog echo... It is sort of an ear training instrument - it helps me recognize the sounds of the chords...it seems best as a vocal accompaniment instrument - though it does do instrumentals quite well itself. I can get extra chord bars and felt them for other chords - it has an extra bar for E major - and I would like to add a few different ones - it has a lot of 7th chords that I don't need often - I would like to replace a couple of the seventh chords with some different major chords. It seems well suited to songwriting... The Apple Garage Band program appears to be just right for laying down complex tracks with lots of overdubs. My "recording studio" is coming together nicely.

tankie
05 Sep 11,, 18:00
Cheers . Post some of your recordings bud .

dave lukins
05 Sep 11,, 21:27

Are you trying to get me going Eric? If I remember you had the zithers quite often in Germany but a course of injections sorted it out for you...Is that the same thing :whome::biggrin:

USSWisconsin
07 Apr 12,, 08:12
So many projects, so little time. The Seymour Duncan triple shot bezzels they sent are the wrong ones - I need to exchange them now, they didn't sent the archtop type - and my Les Paul (24.75" scale) is an archtop...

I've been looking at 24" scale guitars, the Fender Jaguar in particular (all the switches and different settings are cool, the string mute and locking tremalo are other features). I think it might be easier for my stiff fingers to play, its hard to spread my fingers out over 4 frets at the top of the neck. I foulnd a modern Jazzmaster at the music store, but it has a 25.5" scale Stratocaster type neck (I did like the P90 type pickups). The Fender Mustang is another option, but I like the single coils, unique bridge and controls on the Jag the best.

Has anyone had any experience with these? How did you like them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E19YCWEqNZg

tankie
07 Apr 12,, 14:17
Are you trying to get me going Eric? If I remember you had the zithers quite often in Germany but a course of injections sorted it out for you...Is that the same thing :whome::biggrin:

Yea sort of in a weird way :whome:

tankie
07 Apr 12,, 14:18

Has anyone had any experience with these? How did you like them?

The 1964 Fender Jaguar Demo and Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E19YCWEqNZg)

Soz m8 , never tried em .

tankie
07 Apr 12,, 15:25
Nice enough sound doing wicked games in B minor , but i still prefer the strat 1st out of phase point , much warmer tone .

USSWisconsin
30 Jul 12,, 08:19
A new ax '98 Gibson Blueshawk :Dancing-Banana:

JAD_333
30 Jul 12,, 08:53
I managed a couple of rock bands back in the day and bought, sold, lost and got stolen tons of equipment. Without exception the lead and rhythm guys went for Strats and big Marshall amps and speakers. My hearing suffered a lot in those days. Anyway, I don't have much to add. I play a classical guitar cause it's easy on the fingers and my only equipment is an electronic tuner, capo and a Pig Nose, for the rare times I need an amp. That's about it. Carry on.

lemontree
30 Jul 12,, 09:17
Wow...I am partial to the Les Paul design, Though I must confess we dont not get too many original, Gibsons, Epiphones or Fenders in India.
I use an electrified acoustic guitar. Picked it up again after 15 long years.

Hopefully I should buy a les paul by October this year (they are so bloody expensive..lol).

tankie
30 Jul 12,, 14:27
A new ax '98 Gibson Blueshawk :Dancing-Banana:

nice axe m8 , i note your pose in the chord D , butttttttttttttttttttttt still cant beat a strat :wors: IMO . ;)

USSWisconsin
10 Aug 12,, 16:55
@ Tankie - I agree a Strat ('91 Am Std with a Warmoth Pro pau ferro fingerboard and maple neck) is the foundation of my guitar selection - nothing can replace it. This one only supplements it, but it does that well. I think I'll put 009's on the Strat soon - the 008's I've got on it are too thin - but it is so easy to play like this. :biggrin:

I love my D chords - all of them are so sweet, Dmaj, D7, Dm, etc... So many variations - I can play a whole song with them, of course they love to interact with the A's and E's too not to mention the G's. ;)

Thanks for the tip on the Kent Armstrong pickups - I've got one working in my Les Paul, a four blade "Motherbucker" - WOW, infinite sustain is very accurate - and HOT, it overdrives on 1 and it gets better as it gets turned up - its fat and loud - sort of muddy on some setting but I believe it just needs some compression. With the double humbucker it has a total of three pickups now - and I've got eight switches to explore tones with. My daughter was trying it out a couple days ago- tapping on the back of the neck to get all kinds of harmonics and power chord sounds - she didn't even touch the strings! (pictures are coming soon). :cool:

tankie
11 Aug 12,, 15:09
Your welcome m8 , i found the K/As brill .

Minskaya
22 Aug 12,, 16:45
Besides piano/snyths, I also play bass guitar.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h363/XoticaDeux/my_alembic4.jpg
Here is my Alembic

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h363/XoticaDeux/babyblueg.gif
This beauty was custom built to my design and specs with twin double-pole humbucking pickups

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h363/XoticaDeux/stringed.jpg

Doktor
22 Aug 12,, 17:16
Cool basses.

No Ibanez there?

USSWisconsin
22 Aug 12,, 18:34
Here's a picture of my bass and two guitars - this Strat belongs to a friend.

I'mm glad you joined us Minskaya. Welcome to the WAB!

tankie
22 Aug 12,, 18:38
I like the strat , are they lay sensors fitted ?

Minskaya
22 Aug 12,, 18:58
Cool basses.
ThankQ Doktor :)

No Ibanez there?
I have an Ibanez SR500 from the 90s, but no picture and it's back home in Tel Aviv.

Minskaya
22 Aug 12,, 19:01
Here's a picture of my bass and two guitars - this Strat belongs to a friend.
Hot damn. Is that a vintage Gibson EB0?

USSWisconsin
22 Aug 12,, 21:03
Tankie: Its got EMG active pickups - they're pretty hot - my friend swears by them and puts them in everything he has.

Hot damn. Is that a vintage Gibson EB0?

Just an Epiphone EB0 (built in Indonesia) but it plays like "butta", this one seems to have been built on a good day.

tankie
22 Aug 12,, 21:17
Yea they are good , but has he discovered K/Armstrongs yet

Doktor
22 Aug 12,, 23:30
I wont visit this thread until the page is over. Envy is all over me and that ain't good.

There will be some money gone from the bank account and some noise from the wife that will last for two months.

On a moments like this, I regret I skipped the ninja classes and had to learn self-control all on my own.

tankie
25 Aug 12,, 16:37
Jay , look at this guy and other links , he is amazing

Unbelievable 15-Year-Old Guitarist - YouTube (http://youtu.be/U1HAmTavTYE)

http://youtu.be/SwnBw4DVITI

http://youtu.be/wL2ts4L7PGU

JAD_333
25 Aug 12,, 17:50
Jay , look at this guy and other links , he is amazing

Unbelievable 15-Year-Old Guitarist - YouTube (http://youtu.be/U1HAmTavTYE)

Tom Ward - Australia's Got Talent Audition 2011 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/SwnBw4DVITI)

MAGIC GUITAR - 12years old guy Rony (Slovakia got talent) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/wL2ts4L7PGU)

The first guy is a killer, and he destroys his axe in fine Willie Nelson fashion.

The kid is awesome. Move over Clapton. And he came in 9th!! Well,. Slovakia is not exactly the rock capital of the world.

Good stuff, tankie.

tankie
25 Aug 12,, 17:56
They are awesome , what careers they have ahead of them :cool:

USSWisconsin
25 Aug 12,, 20:02
Wow - What a delightful variety that was - Thanks Tankie - great music, it spiced up my day! :biggrin::cool:

I'm still finding new sounds from the K/A pickup in my Les Paul, what an amazing thing it is - its totally unique, it does everything you said it would. That guitar is like no other now - its almost a new kind of instrument, the sustain is unbelievable - I think I could play a chord, go to bed, get up the next day and it would still be singing away... It overdrives the amp on one and gets more interesting from there... :Dancing-Banana:

tankie
25 Aug 12,, 20:10
Wow - What a delightful variety that was - Thanks Tankie - great music, it spiced up my day! :biggrin::cool:

I'm still finding new sounds from the K/A pickup in my Les Paul, what an amazing thing it is - its totally unique, it does everything you said it would. That guitar is like no other now - its almost a new kind of instrument, the sustain is unbelievable - I think I could play a chord, go to bed, get up the next day and it would still be singing away... It overdrives the amp on one and gets more interesting from there... :Dancing-Banana:

Would I lie to you ;) im glad you liked the vids :cool:

USSWisconsin
25 Aug 12,, 20:15
a few pictures of the Les Paul build - lots of switches to get different sounds - it has quite a palette

some of my assorted "sound brushes" - not a huge collection - but they have a wide variety of tones (my brown archtop is in the office, with heavy jazz strings - it helps build up my fingers).

tankie
25 Aug 12,, 20:27
Love the guts in the gibbo , looks like a telephone exchange , yer amp looks cool as well ,,now where av i seen one ov them before :whome:

USSWisconsin
03 Nov 12,, 06:33

Its got a Kent Armstrong pickup! Joe Morrell Maple 8 string, C6 tuning - very bright.

tankie
03 Nov 12,, 13:34
Ya'v never looked back since the intro to kent/a pickups , they are tina turners by golly ya betchya ya fer shoor . :wors:

Minskaya
29 Dec 12,, 16:52
Happy Hanukkah/New Year to me!

http://media.fmicdirect.com/fender/images/products/guitars/0190085806_frt_wmd_001.jpg

My newest addition to the stringed tribe. 2013 fretless Fender Precision Bass. It's a bit of a hybrid Jazz/Precision combination. Black Nitro finish with triple offset pickups, short scale ebony fingerboard, and a HipShot to instantly convert the E to a low D (you could even wrangle a low C). Pretty solid construction. Neck grain is nice and straight with no detectable dead spots. Haven't yet decided, but I'll probably have my bass tech replace the bridge/string nut and go with heavier gauge Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Bass flat-wounds or Black Diamond round-wounds.

tankie
29 Dec 12,, 18:06
One of my very 1st gitts was a Hofner short scale, in cherry red with maple fret , nice axe which i sadly sold for 12 pounds in 1970 sigggggggggh .

USSWisconsin
29 Dec 12,, 18:30

http://media.fmicdirect.com/fender/images/products/guitars/0190085806_frt_wmd_001.jpg

My newest addition to the stringed tribe. 2013 fretless Fender Precision Bass. It's a bit of a hybrid Jazz/Precision combination. Black Nitro finish with triple offset pickups, short scale ebony fingerboard, and a HipShot to instantly convert the E to a low D (you could even wrangle a low C). Pretty solid construction. Neck grain is nice and straight with no detectable dead spots. Haven't yet decided, but I'll probably have my bass tech replace the bridge/string nut and go with heavier gauge Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Bass flat-wounds or Black Diamond round-wounds.

Wow - what a beauty! What kind of nut material are you considering? Black Tusk? I've read about those T-I and B-D bass strings, from what I've heard either of them should be very nice.

I think I'll tune up my EB0 today.

USSWisconsin
20 Jan 13,, 03:09
Ok, this is an effort to get some of guitarists and musicians to post something.
I'm sure nobody has anything to be ashamed of - I will dispense with my shame ;)

Here's a little clip of a melody I tried to learn, which sort of became a different thing...
91 Am Std strat with .009 cobalt ernie ball strings, E-E tuning, Vox VT15, capo @ 5th fret

USSWisconsin
22 Jan 13,, 01:12

One of my bass playing friends mentioned these are his favorites - Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Bass flat-wounds - they have a a round core silk layer that makes them reallty nice.

lemontree
22 Jan 13,, 05:35
Had an early morning dream today, of playing a black coloured PRS les paul copy. (Why les paul?...coz i'm dying to buy one soon. So I see a les paul everywhere :slap:)

USSWisconsin
24 Jan 13,, 20:40
lap steel
Recording King 6 str, Em7 tuning, VT-15 w/phaser :)

lemontree
11 Feb 13,, 05:22
Got my new Greg Bennett designed guitar yesterday...

Officer of Engineers
11 Feb 13,, 05:31
Your daughter has such a cool dad.

tankie
11 Feb 13,, 13:37
My crafter axe , semi acc , with eq / tuner/ phaser / volume controls , lovely sounds , gold plated hardware .Pearl inlay ,,,,,n arferitic fingers to strum it with :mad:

And kellogs brekky in the near distance :biggrin:

Andrey Egorov
11 Feb 13,, 19:50
B.C. Rich Bich Classic
Tuned in Cmajor for now, will tune it back to normal E to sell

USSWisconsin
03 Mar 13,, 23:46

something today - just a little bit, I like this amp model

leib10
04 Mar 13,, 00:11
My rig:

USSWisconsin
24 Apr 13,, 15:13
The original strings on my Tele needed to be changed, they still had sounded ok, but they were a year old and were leaving some grey corrosion on my fingers. Those factory original strings sounded so good for so long, I was reluctant to change a thing... :wors:

I picked Thomastik Infeld SL109 Blues Sliders for the replacements, these cost about 4x more than Fender strings, and I was curious to see if they were worth it. The low E, A and D strings have a silk wrap between the core and the round nickel outer winding, the G, B and high E are brass plated steel. I used .009'- .043's - the same gauge as the originals, which seems to be perfect for this instrument.

They sound very different than the Fender strings they replaced, particularly when played with a glass slide - with the slide it sounds like a different guitar altogether. I miss the crisp, clear tone of the original Fender Nickel-Steel strings, but these are probably worth their high price, they sound very good and add fuller, humbucker like quality to the guitar without loosing the distinctive Tele twang. They seem to have a fatter sound overall, hold tune well and feel great, they are pretty things too, the silk is dark maroon (only visible at the tuning pegs) and the unwound strings are gold colored. Strings seem to be the most cost effective way to alter the sound of a guitar, they can really make a difference.

When these wear out, I'll probably put original spec Fenders on the Telecaster next time, but I'll definitely use T-I strings again, I like them - perhaps they'll be the next strings on my Epiphone Dot (335 style arch-top). :)

tankie
24 Apr 13,, 17:11
The original strings on my Tele needed to be changed, they still had sounded ok, but they were a year old and were leaving some grey corrosion on my fingers. Those factory original strings sounded so good for so long, I was reluctant to change a thing... :wors:

I picked Thomastik Infeld SL109 Blues Sliders for the replacements, these cost about 4x more than Fender strings, and I was curious to see if they were worth it. The low E, A and D strings have a silk wrap between the core and the round nickel outer winding, the G, B and high E are brass plated steel. I used .009'- .043's - the same gauge as the originals, which seems to be perfect for this instrument.

They sound very different than the Fender strings they replaced, particularly when played with a glass slide - with the slide it sounds like a different guitar altogether. I miss the crisp, clear tone of the original Fender Nickel-Steel strings, but these are probably worth their high price, they sound very good and add fuller, humbucker like quality to the guitar without loosing the distinctive Tele twang. They seem to have a fatter sound overall, hold tune well and feel great, they are pretty things too, the silk is dark maroon (only visible at the tuning pegs) and the unwound strings are gold colored. Strings seem to be the most cost effective way to alter the sound of a guitar, they can really make a difference.

When these wear out, I'll probably put original spec Fenders on the Telecaster next time, but I'll definitely use T-I strings again, I like them - perhaps they'll be the next strings on my Epiphone Dot (335 style arch-top). :)

What are they like with the K/A pick ups ?