Iraqi Northern Front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Northern Front

This is just for some fun, it's not completely realistic but bear with me.

You're tasked with opening the northern front in Iraq after the Turks deny the 4th ID access. You're objective is to bring in your forces and
    a) assist Peshmerga forces
    b) take the cities of Kirkuk and secure the northern oilfields
    c) eliminate any Iraqi forces that resist

Here's the catch you have only 75 C-17 sorties available over 1 week to land your force. For fun once landed you'll have all the logsitics support you need via C-130s and airdrops.

The Iraqi forces are estimated at 1 leg infantry divison, 1 mechanized brigade and an independent artillery battalion with 24 152mm howitzers. Also expect 100-200 irregulars armed with AKs and RPGs with some light mortars. Most enemy troops are concentrated around Kirkuk.

Finally, the only aviation assets (helos) you can have must be flown in via your C-17s, however you have full support of CAS.

What force do you bring and how do you employ it?

PS: Just for fun and for shek's benefit assume the SBCT is fully operational with all variants in this timeframe.

Have fun everyone. :)

Originally posted by Wraith601
    This is just for some fun, it's not completely realistic but bear with me.

You're tasked with opening the northern front in Iraq after the Turks deny the 4th ID access. You're objective is to bring in your forces and
    a) assist Peshmerga forces
    b) take the cities of Kirkuk and secure the northern oilfields
    c) eliminate any Iraqi forces that resist

Here's the catch you have only 75 C-17 sorties available over 1 week to land your force. For fun once landed you'll have all the logsitics support you need via C-130s and airdrops.

The Iraqi forces are estimated at 1 leg infantry divison, 1 mechanized brigade and an independent artillery battalion with 24 152mm howitzers. Also expect 100-200 irregulars armed with AKs and RPGs with some light mortars. Most enemy troops are concentrated around Kirkuk.

Finally, the only aviation assets (helos) you can have must be flown in via your C-17s, however you have full support of CAS.

What force do you bring and how do you employ it?

PS: Just for fun and for shek's benefit assume the SBCT is fully operational with all variants in this timeframe.

Have fun everyone. :)
    What local fuel supplies can you tap into and how many C17s/C130s do you get after the initial C-17s to fly in parts, fuel, and other sustainment supplies?

Also, I'm hitting the beach in NC this weekend, so I'll post on this come next Tues/Wed.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I’ll make a command decision here – local fuel supplies will not be used. While military engines can burn diesel, the chances of contaminants causing engine failure greatly increases when burning diesel and the quality of the Kurdish diesel is unknown. To keep real world limitations in mind, here are the fuel tank capacities of various vehicles and their cruising range. Remember, these are cruising ranges - the differing vehicles burn fuel at different rates when idling and the rule of thumb factors for refuel are every 12 hours for Abrams, 24 hours for Bradleys, 72 hours for Strykers (I’ll put M113s in the same category for lack of hands on experience with them), and I believe 96 hours for HMMWVs.

M1114 – 25 gallons? (275 miles)
      Stryker – 53 gallons (312 miles)
      M113A3-95 gallons (300 miles)
      M113A4 (MVTL) – 130 gallons (300 miles)
      M978 HEMMT (fueler that carries 2500 gallons) – 155 gallons? (300 miles)
      M2A2 – 197 gallons (265 miles)
      M1A2 – 498 gallons (265 miles)

To state this in terms of number of vehicles that the M978 HEMMT fueler can refuel:

M1114 – 100 HMMWVs every 96 hours
      Stryker – 47 Strykers every 72 hours
      M113A3 – 26 M113A3s every 72 hours
      M113A4 – 19 M113A4s every 72 hours
      M2A2 – 13 Bradleys every 24 hours
      M1A2 – 5 Abrams every 12 hours

I don’t have the stats for MTBF (mean time between failure), but the heavier you get, the more repair assets and the more lift you need for repair parts. Same goes for ammo resupply; the heavier you get, the more lift you need to resupply ammo.

Finally, here are two articles on what actually happened to give you some reference to issues and choices that they faced – enemy, terrain, logistics, airflow, etc.

http://www.knox.army.mil/center/oco.../5maddox03c.pdf
      http://www.leavenworth.army.mil/mil...c03/barclay.pdf
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by shek
        What local fuel supplies can you tap into and how many C17s/C130s do you get after the initial C-17s to fly in parts, fuel, and other sustainment supplies?

Also, I'm hitting the beach in NC this weekend, so I'll post on this come next Tues/Wed.
        Ok, reread the initial posts and I see that we are assuming away logistical resupply constraints after you get your equipment in during the first week. I'll add in another assumption - Kurdish forklifts and cranes will be available at the Kurdish airfield. Also, SF and Peshmerga are securing the airfield - however their numbers are smaller - do you want to require a forced entry force to initially secure the airfield? Next, how about making the assumption that the SBCT certification requirement was waived and so I don't get the NBC RV and MGS so there isn't any other equipment creep such as company/battalion level UAVs, etc? Finally, do you want to allow a M113 equipped IBCT, M113A3 or M113A4 equipped?

Comment

Originally posted by shek
          Ok, reread the initial posts and I see that we are assuming away logistical resupply constraints after you get your equipment in during the first week. I'll add in another assumption - Kurdish forklifts and cranes will be available at the Kurdish airfield. Also, SF and Peshmerga are securing the airfield - however their numbers are smaller - do you want to require a forced entry force to initially secure the airfield? Next, how about making the assumption that the SBCT certification requirement was waived and so I don't get the NBC RV and MGS so there isn't any other equipment creep such as company/battalion level UAVs, etc? Finally, do you want to allow a M113 equipped IBCT, M113A3 or M113A4 equipped?
          The airfield is not under threat by Iraqi Army units, however there is threat of irregulars so take that into account for your intial deployment.

I chose to throw out the supprt requirements because they far too complex for such a limited scenario, just assume you'll get what you need via airdrops and more transport sorties.

All Stryker variants are certified and fielded if you choose to use a SBCT.

If you use a SBCT use existing artillery organization with 12 M198s rather the planned 18 M777s.

If you go with M113s only existing models are allowed, no MTVLs. You can mount RWS and Stryker type electronics though. Just bear in mind all of your supply and support vehicles must be flown in in the initial 75 sorties.

Also assume the Iraqi Army units will resist unless faced with imminent defeat, no mass surrenders or desertions.

As far as UAVs you'll have access to AF Predators but if you want to bring your own they must come in the 75 sorties.

SF consists of 3 A Teams already operating with Peshmerga, also a few CIA paramilitary teams are in country. Assume limited coordination with them. Total Peshmerga strength is estimated at 4,500 in the AO they have mostly civillain vehicles and light weapons. Their survival is a primary concern as they are to play a major role in securing potwar Iraq and forming a new military.

Also, assume Saddam has and will use WMDs, we know he really won't, but you must operate under that assumption and plan accordingly.

Hope that clears up any confusion. I hope to post my solution once I complete my load planning and do some reading on the terrain. For this scenario let's throw out any knowledge of really happened and focus on the assumption the Iraqis will fight.
          Last edited by Wraith601; 28 May 05,, 19:39. Reason: Made some additions

Comment

For the sake of simplicity assume the Iraqis can't attack due to lack of logistics, you have the full week to land your force and no delays are experienced. The Air Force has already flown in neccesary load handling gear and forklifts, you get that free of your sortie limit. There's no need to factor in MOG or what order to bring in vehicles. Just set up your force structure and make sure it fits within the limit.

Good luck and have fun everyone.
            Last edited by Wraith601; 28 May 05,, 19:46. Reason: fixed spelling

Comment

What is the C-17s capacity for the following vehicles?:

M1114
              M-2
              M-113
              Stryker
              M-109
              MLRS

I'm too lazy to look it up. ;)

Comment

OK, it's 3 Bradleys per C-17, but you need a waiver. The same i reckon is true for MLRS. Is that available to me as commander?

It's 3 AH-64s, 3 OH-58Ds, or 3 UH-60s per C-17 sortie.

How far is my IAO from Tikrit? That's a key piece of intel needed before i could begin to guess how to best formulate my force.

Also:

Will my force have priority override for CAS assets?
                Will my force be operating within ATACM range from firing units with the main body of US forces invading from the SE? What action-if any, has the USAF or USN undertaken along my various possible AOAs that could affect my mobility(ie deliberate or accidental cratering of roads or killed armored vehicles blocking my overland advance), force protection(ie, the use of any CBU munitions along the various potential AOAs), etc. Will i have SPECOPS forces operating independently of my force in my AO?(much needed info to prevent any BvB incidents).

Also, in what condition is the enemy force? To what level have they been atrrited by air attacks? what is their supply state, fuel, ammo, etc? What is the state of their LOGTRAIN, and it's ability to supply them? What condition is their comms net in? What is their morale like? How modern a force are they? Ie, are they conscripts, or an RGFC centric force?

I'd need to know all of that too. My briefing would certainly include all of that information, even if it was just a bunch of WAGS. ;)

So, what's the scoop?
                Last edited by Bill; 29 May 05,, 00:27.

Comment

Oh, almost forgot...

What's the terrain like both in my immediate AO, along my most likely AOAs, and in the final approaches to Tikrit?

What is my objective in tikrit, force or terrain oriented? Ie, do i need only sieze certain geographical locations, or is my mission the total destruction of the defending force, or what exactly? What is the strength of forces immediately in, and in close vicinity to, Tikrit?

And finally, how much ramp space is at the base i'm to be using as my base of operations?(ie, how many C-17s can be landed and unloaded at one time, and how many parking spots are there for tactical combat aircraft?).

And also, how far are the various enemy forces(leg div, mech bde, and arty, etc) from my base of ops, and how are they arrayed(ie, fortified defenses along all AOAs, hasty defenses, on what axis, etc)?

And oh yeah....what's the weather forecast?

Complicated i know, but it's really all neccesary information to formulate an ideal force structure and subsequent range of FRAGPLANs.
                  Last edited by Bill; 29 May 05,, 01:36.

Comment

Even without the above info i can state that 14 of my transports would be commited to a US Army ACS(Air Cavalry Sqn), consisting of 24 OH-58D Kiowa Warriors, 8 UH-60 Blackhawks, and 9 AH-64 Apaches(14 sorties with one sortie being 2/3 empty, which would certainly be needed space for organic maintenance and support gear for the unit).

I like to know what's going on...and to be able to affect it in a big way at the earliest possible time.

Before a problem is in my lap. ;)
                    Last edited by Bill; 29 May 05,, 01:46.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      What is the C-17s capacity for the following vehicles?:

M1114
                      M-2
                      M-113
                      Stryker
                      M-109
                      MLRS

I'm too lazy to look it up. ;)
                      M2 is supposedly 3 but 2 is more realistic if they have full armor and combat loads.
                      M113A3 is 5, not sure how applique or slat armor affects that.
                      Stryker is 3.
                      MLRS is based on Bradley chasis so say 2.
                      M-109 proably 1 or 2.
                      M-1114 no idea, but proably at least 8.

Comment

OK, it's 3 Bradleys per C-17, but you need a waiver. The same i reckon is true for MLRS. Is that available to me as commander?

It's 3 AH-64s, 3 OH-58Ds, or 3 UH-60s per C-17 sortie.

How far is my IAO from Tikrit? That's a key piece of intel needed before i could begin to guess how to best formulate my force.

Also:

Will my force have priority override for CAS assets?
                        Will my force be operating within ATACM range from firing units with the main body of US forces invading from the SE? What action-if any, has the USAF or USN undertaken along my various possible AOAs that could affect my mobility(ie deliberate or accidental cratering of roads or killed armored vehicles blocking my overland advance), force protection(ie, the use of any CBU munitions along the various potential AOAs), etc. Will i have SPECOPS forces operating independently of my force in my AO?(much needed info to prevent any BvB incidents).

Also, in what condition is the enemy force? To what level have they been atrrited by air attacks? what is their supply state, fuel, ammo, etc? What is the state of their LOGTRAIN, and it's ability to supply them? What condition is their comms net in? What is their morale like? How modern a force are they? Ie, are they conscripts, or an RGFC centric force?

I'd need to know all of that too. My briefing would certainly include all of that information, even if it was just a bunch of WAGS. ;)

So, what's the scoop?
                        Assume 3 A-10s available on 15 mins notice at all times, priority for additional CAS support for planned ops.

No ATACMS in range , the launchers would have to be north of Baghdad to support I believe.

The only AF prep has been limited strikes on enemy HQ and log routes leading into Kirkuk. A few Iraqi vehicles have been taken out by Peshmerga and SF teams but nothing with enough density to deny movement.

SF will act as liasion with Peshmerga but only under your control as required to direct coordinate Peshmerga actions to support your mission.

Enemy force: assume about 90% strength, they lack the fuel and spares for aggressive movement but they have large caches of munitions spread throughout Kirkuk and environs, they have plenty of access to local food and water supplies as well, comms are reliant on a net of largely intact fiber optic lines, sat and cell phones, radios and couriers, assume low morale but presence of reigme security forces makes desertion and surrender impossible untill hardliners are neutralized, the infantry divison and arty btn are conscripts, the mech brigade is RG, standard Soviet model, 2 mech btns with mostly BMPs and about 25% BTRs, 1 btn with T-72s, irregular forces are hardliners and will likle yfight to the death in most cases, they possess enough logistics for their technicals to harass your supply lines so factor that in

Comment

Oh, almost forgot...

What's the terrain like both in my immediate AO, along my most likely AOAs, and in the final approaches to Tikrit?

What is my objective in tikrit, force or terrain oriented? Ie, do i need only sieze certain geographical locations, or is my mission the total destruction of the defending force, or what exactly? What is the strength of forces immediately in, and in close vicinity to, Tikrit?

And finally, how much ramp space is at the base i'm to be using as my base of operations?(ie, how many C-17s can be landed and unloaded at one time, and how many parking spots are there for tactical combat aircraft?).

And also, how far are the various enemy forces(leg div, mech bde, and arty, etc) from my base of ops, and how are they arrayed(ie, fortified defenses along all AOAs, hasty defenses, on what axis, etc)?

And oh yeah....what's the weather forecast?

Complicated i know, but it's really all neccesary information to formulate an ideal force structure and subsequent range of FRAGPLANs.
                          Kurdistan
                          Our LZ is Erbil Northwest about 100 km north-northwest of Kirkuk (number 3 of airfield map in next post), terrain is largely desert and dry grassy plains with very few bodies of water, some hills but no mountain ranges, roads are largely gravel or poorly paved, I can't find reliable maps of Kirkuk without paying money so assume the road network and terrain allow approach from any direction

The Iraqi ID is arranged with 2 brigades occupying semicircular trenches about 1 km out side of town, the gaps to the north and south are plugged by 1 mech btn and a tank company, the other tank company and infantry btn are dispersed throughout town holding key buildings and road junctions, as well as the airport, railyard and provincial government complex, arty is dug in 12 km southwest of city with presighted fire zones all around town, battery is protected by about 50 infantrymen, 3 BMPs, and 2 100mm anti tank guns, assume limited enemy air defenses, mostly concentrated near the center of town where most majo buildings are clustered, location of enemy irregulars is unknwon due to their ability to blend and evade SIGINT

your objective is to force the Iraqis from Kirkuk, take control of the railyard, airport and government compound and minimize collateral damage, secondary objective is to prevent destruction of northern oilfields, this is primary task of Pehmerga and SF, you will provide support once Kirkuk is pacified

Weather forecast is slight overcast but little chance of rain, temp about 90 at noon, 70 at night

As far as unloading goes just assume everything will be unloaded in 1 week and don't woory about what order to bring things in, unless you really want to, just lay out what you're bringing and what they'll do
                          Last edited by Wraith601; 29 May 05,, 07:15.

Comment

Some maps you may find useful.

Iraqi Oilfields

Airfields

Comment

Why can't we just bomb the hell out of everyone? Then we won't have any resistance and be able to complete all the objectives within a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X