Metal Engraving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Engraving

Wellman's journey into gunsmithing and technical arts reminded me of something I truly enjoy but haven't had time to pursue in a few years. Maybe some day, I'll get back into it, but for the moment, the tools (and skills) are on the shelf.

I have always been in awe of hand-engraving, such as the fine scroll work and game scenes on fine shotguns, firearms, and knives. After a lot of effort, I found that I could cut reasonably well, but the artwork, creating scrollwork that is attractive, is by far the hard part.

Engraving can be done with hammer and graver, or one of the more modern pneumatic tools. I selected a tool engineered by Steve Lindsay, a marvel of technology called a PalmControl. Check out Steve's work, and be blown away...

The graver bits are 5/32" square carbide. The shape of the tip is very specific, and makes or breaks the cut:

To sharpen these accurately, I created a very special 3-axis sharpening rig that applies the carbide to a slow diamond wheel.

I bought quite a few cheap knives with steel scales for practice. Some are rather hideous, some I don't mind posting.

Basic outline:

shaded:

This next one has a better touch on the shape and shading of the scrolls:

I got as far artistically and technically as these last couple of knives, and then life got in the way! Maybe when all the kids are settled, it is something I can pursue a bit in retirement. The satisfaction you get in working with your hands is hard to beat. I cannot imagine entering retirement without something along these lines.

Thanks for looking. :)

Comment

very nice machine-shop you've got going on, chogy! got more pics?
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Beautiful work and awesome tools Chogy!
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I like your little grinder Chogy. It's always a pleasure to see someone take pride in the details. Most people just wouldn't have taken the extra step to have the anodizing done on something they made for their own use.

You're a talented metalworker. It's unusual to see that from someone in your profession. Did your father own a machine shop? I'm curious where you learned the trade.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Thanks guys. my hobbies are pretty obscure, and it's fun to share.

My Dad was a mechanical engineer. He had a huge love of steam engines, and bought a small lathe to try and put some together. But it was kind of odd... he was more of a dreamer than a doer, so the lathe gathered dust until I started messing with it as a teenager. I loved it, and it's just something that I've pursued on the side.

The cool thing about machine tools is that they can make 98% of just about anything, and the last 2%, they can make the tools to produce them.

Comment

Beautiful work. Do you do it free hand or with some form of stencil? Its something I always respect about Americans. You guys take the time out to follow your passion. And go all out, with quality in whatever you do. Out here is all I can manage between work and family for the entire week, so that by weekend its sleep, eat, TV, read a little, and its time to get the kids in bed for school the next day again.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                Thanks guys. my hobbies are pretty obscure, and it's fun to share.

My Dad was a mechanical engineer. He had a huge love of steam engines, and bought a small lathe to try and put some together. But it was kind of odd... he was more of a dreamer than a doer, so the lathe gathered dust until I started messing with it as a teenager. I loved it, and it's just something that I've pursued on the side.

The cool thing about machine tools is that they can make 98% of just about anything, and the last 2%, they can make the tools to produce them.
                The lathe is the only machine in the shop that can reproduce itself.

I've always loved that about lathes. Just kind of an emotional thing.

You should market your grinder to other engravers, it's a sweet little machine.

I called it with your old man, it's in your DNA. :)
                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                X