• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Doctors call for kitchen knife ban

This is unbelievable...
    Doctors' kitchen knives ban call

Doctors say knives are too pointed

A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing. A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all. They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen. None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

Kitchen knives can inflict appalling wounds.

In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm
    Poor brits....
    Last edited by highsea; 28 May 05,, 06:31.
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Originally posted by highsea
    This is unbelievable...
    It should be expected. It's the natural evolution of government prohibitions to keep going after more and more.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

And people ask me why I support the NRA.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
        And people ask me why I support the NRA.

-dale
        I do it for the free cap. ;)
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

OH HELL NO!

and this

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all. They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.
          Is Bullsh*t. I use my 12' chef's knife for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
            OH HELL NO!

and this

Is Bullsh*t. I use my 12' chef's knife for everything.
            Hell, by their reasoning I can see no reason for researchers to be available at all. These clowns are subhuman.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
              Hell, by their reasoning I can see no reason for researchers to be available at all. These clowns are subhuman.

-dale
              They'll go after the researchers after they get the knives, to make sure research isn't done proving it didn't matter if they took pointy knives or not. ;)

Comment

They can go to hell.

If nothing else you can kill people with them.

I'd like to see the chefs cut a chicken with a 2 inch knife.
                what morons did they tak too? Jamie Oliver and that ramsey prat?!

Comment

Next they'll be trying to get a ban on rocks or two by fours, as being a danger to public safety, as they can be used to bash someone on the head with. Hey let's not forget that old favorite: The Pork Chop!!!
                  And they get paid for putting together a paper like this!!!!
                  When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

NEWS ALERT!!! British women are regularly being impaled by short pointy objects. British Medical Journal calls for the penises to be cut off of every male.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead
                      NEWS ALERT!!! British women are regularly being impaled by short pointy objects. British Medical Journal calls for the penises to be cut off of every male.
                      Ain't no short ones round here.
                      at

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead
                        Seems like they already got all the testicles removed, why not take the penises too?

-dale

Comment

I think some context needs to be put into this.

A group of medical people, who deal with the outcome of a knife / human interface scenario, were asked what could be done to stop said instances from occuring as frequently. Clearly a post it note stuck on the wall during the brainstorm session would have written on it "ban long pointy knives".

However, if it makes people think about the design of such things it can't be bad. I mean it wasn't that long ago that safety scissors, pen tops with holes in them, and so on didn't exist until, no doubt, some other working party came up with those ideas. And no doubt in those session someone said "ban pen tops" or "ban scissors".

The difference is that nowadays we have red braced wearing researchers and analysts in so many walks of life who need to justify their existence - if the findings had come out saying something different the researchers would have published it and perhaps it would have been taken up by the press. Perhaps there is more research showing "long pointy kitchen knives produce neater wounds than small knives that take several iterations of the knike / human interface upload cycle" that may yet turn up.

We could always use chop sticks, after all.
                          at

Comment

This will reduce women to hire meat cutters to come into their homes on a weekly basis to fillet their fish and cut up their chickens which will spur many sexual affairs, causing the divorce rate to balloon....geez.

Comment

When will these idiots learn that it is the PEOPLE and not the TOOLS that are to blame? Most stabbings are not accidents. If/when knives are banned, people will simply turn to another device. It is time we start looking at and facing the root causes of such actions rather than dealing with the symptoms and banning usefull tools in the name of "safety" and "civil societies".
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X