Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitt Romney announces presidential bid

Mitt Romney announces presidential bid: profile

Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts, announced he was standing for the Republican presidential nomination.

Mr Romney, 64, who fell to John McCain in the race to be the Republican nominee in 2008, has been an early front-runner in many polls for the chance to challenge President Barack Obama in 2012.

Here are some facts about the potential nominee:

* Mr Romney's best-known achievement as governor was statewide health care reform that became a model for President Barack Obama's national policy. Romney has defended the state law while attacking the federal version, a tricky balancing act. He has said he would repeal Obama's plan.

* He is a fifth-generation Mormon whose forebears were involved in the US-based religious movement from the mid-19th century. Mr Romney spent 30 months in France as a Mormon missionary from July 1966, during the Vietnam War. His Mormon faith might hinder him among evangelical Christian voters who are most prevalent in the southern United States.

* Mr Romney stepped in to rescue the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. He was tapped as president and CEO of the Olympics organising committee in 1999 after the games were tarred by allegations of bribery by top officials and were far behind revenue benchmarks. He brought in a new management team, cut costs and boosted fund-raising. By most measures the games were regarded as a major success, and turned a tidy profit.

* Animal rights groups criticised him during the 2008 campaign for an incident in 1983 when he drove 12 hours to Canada from Boston on vacation with the family dog in a kennel strapped to the roof of their car.
    * Originally a management consultant, Mr Romney went on to head Bain Capital, a private equity firm that executed leveraged buyouts and corporate turnarounds, enabling him to amass a multimillion-dollar fortune. He did not take a salary as governor of Massachusetts or when running the Olympic Games.
    * Romney's critics charge that he has remade himself as a social conservative, shifting positions on issues such as abortion, gay rights and gun control, to position himself for the Republican nomination after governing from the centre in liberal Massachusetts.
    * He grew up in Michigan the son of George Romney, three-term governor of the state and an automobile executive. He graduated from Brigham Young University in Utah and later from Harvard University with a joint MBA/law degree.
    * Mr Romney and high-school sweetheart Ann, who married in 1969, have five sons and 16 grandchildren. They have homes in Belmont, Massachusetts; Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire; and La Jolla, California.
    * Mr Romney has written two books: 2010s "No Apology; The Case for American Greatness," which was renamed in the 2011 paperback edition as "No Apology: Believe in America" and broadly lays out the candidate's policy manifesto, and 2007's "Turnaround: Crisis, Leadership and the Olympic Games."

In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Romney seems to elicit little enthusiasm from conservatives, though I'd be curious to see how he polls with independents.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I'll vote for him if he's the nominee.

-dale

Comment

I'd vote for Bugs Bunny if I thought he could beat Obama.

Comment

oooo, what a wascally wominee!
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I should have said "I'd vote for him without reservation if he's the nominee."

I too am in the "anyone but Obama" camp. Hell, I'm in the "anyTHING but Obama" camp - I'd vote for a Hefty bag full of Legos for President at this point. But in reality some candidates or possible candidates would give me pause like McCain gave me pause last time around, and Romney is not one of those.

I still prefer Pawlenty though. I hope we see a strong primary campaign out of him that shows he's ready for the big leagues.

-dale

Comment

Reminds me of Groucho Marx - 'these are my principles, and if you don't like them I have others'. Flip flopper of the highest order, even for American politicians (who frequently have to 'revise' their views as they climb the ladder of US party politics).
              Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
              - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Seven View Post
                Your pro-Rabbit bias is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                  I should have said "I'd vote for him without reservation if he's the nominee."

I too am in the "anyone but Obama" camp. Hell, I'm in the "anyTHING but Obama" camp - I'd vote for a Hefty bag full of Legos for President at this point. But in reality some candidates or possible candidates would give me pause like McCain gave me pause last time around, and Romney is not one of those.

I still prefer Pawlenty though. I hope we see a strong primary campaign out of him that shows he's ready for the big leagues.

-dale
                  Be careful with that "anyone but" or "anything but" wish. Conservatives said "anyone but Hillary" in 2007 and look what that got us.

I have noticed that life likes to mess with us in this funny way. Everyone wished for lower housing prices and lower gasoline prices around 2005 to 2006 time frame. Well, housing price is down and gasoline price "was" down to about $1.60/gal in late 2008.

I am a firm believer of "be careful of what you wish for, it just might come true" camp.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Seven View Post
                    Same. Could probably say that for half the country at this point.

Comment

Today he admitted global warming is real and at least partially manmade. The trouble with Romney is which Romney do you get afterwards.
                      Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
                      ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        Be careful with that "anyone but" or "anything but" wish. Conservatives said "anyone but Hillary" in 2007 and look what that got us.

I have noticed that life likes to mess with us in this funny way. Everyone wished for lower housing prices and lower gasoline prices around 2005 to 2006 time frame. Well, housing price is down and gasoline price "was" down to about $1.60/gal in late 2008.

I am a firm believer of "be careful of what you wish for, it just might come true" camp.
                        I get your point but frankly, Obama disgusts me. I would like a President that doesn't disgust me. I would much rather have a House and Senate that were majority Republican - I can deal with a crappy Executive if the Legislative is mostly harmless.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                          Today he admitted global warming is real and at least partially manmade. The trouble with Romney is which Romney do you get afterwards.
                          Woops, now I have to reconsider.

-dale

Comment

lol...what phoney. I think he is actually really smart, but he's too much of a politician...

Comment

Working...
                            X