Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumbai Plotter Testifies About Training

Mumbai Plotter Testifies About Training

CHICAGO — A Pakistani-American who has confessed to helping plot the 2008 terrorist attack in Mumbai, India, testified in federal court here on Wednesday that the Drug Enforcement Administration had asked him to infiltrate Islamic extremist groups while working as an informant.

He also said that he later used his relationship with the agency as cover for his activities with the militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The man, David C. Headley, also testified that in addition to attending Lashkar training camps, he received espionage training from noncommissioned officers in the Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate of Pakistan.

Pakistan has denied that its intelligence agency played a role in the Mumbai attacks.

The testimony shed new light on Mr. Headley’s relationship with the D.E.A. and on the involvement of Pakistani intelligence in the Mumbai attack, which killed 163 people, including six Americans. It came near the end of the third day in the trial of a Chicago businessman, Tahawwur Rana, who is accused of supporting the attack.

Mr. Headley, who used his appearance and American passport to move easily across borders and scout the locations that were attacked, agreed to testify against Mr. Rana to avoid the death penalty. Prosecutors charge that Mr. Rana used his business as a front for Mr. Headley’s activities in Mumbai. Mr. Rana’s lawyers argue that he was duped by Mr. Headley, whom he has known since high school.

One of Mr. Rana’s lawyers, Charles Swift, began cross-examining Mr. Headley on Wednesday, and his relationship with the D.E.A. was one of the first areas explored. Mr. Headley said that he had traveled to Pakistan for the agency in 1999, and continued working with it until September 2002, months after he had begun training with Lashkar-e-Taiba.

Mr. Swift asked Mr. Headley about a 2001 episode in which his former wife warned the Federal Bureau of Investigation that she believed he was plotting with terrorists. Mr. Headley said he told the investigators that he was mixing with extremists as part of a government assignment.

“I had instructions from the D.E.A. to visit those mosques,” Mr. Headley said.

“So you told the government not to worry because you were working for them, right?” Mr. Swift asked.

Mr. Headley replied, “Yes.”

Later, Mr. Swift asked Mr. Headley for details about his Inter-Services Intelligence handler, a man known only as Major Iqbal.

When Mr. Swift asked why Mr. Headley believed the man was an ISI agent, Mr. Headley said he had met Major Iqbal on a military base, and saw him traveling several times in military vehicles.

Mr. Headley also said that Major Iqbal was less than impressed with the training he had received from Lashkar, so he arranged for him to get ISI training.

Mr. Headley said the training took place in a small compound near the airport in Lahore, Pakistan. When asked how many sessions he attended, Mr. Headley answered, “scores.”

A version of this article appeared in print on May 26, 2011, on page A13 of the New York edition with the headline: Mumbai Plotter Testifies About Training.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/26/wo...dley.html?_r=1

Although not really a secret about ISI's links with terrorist groups, I wonder how much this trial will have an effect in Congress.
    Last edited by Tronic; 26 May 11,, 03:54.
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

A lot of stuff is coming out of the Chicago trials regarding the involvement of ISI in the Mumbai attack. So where are our resident pakistani members. Do you have anything to say regarding this or are you still going to parrot your stock phrase "No proof of ISI involvement in terrorist activities".
    Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
      A lot of stuff is coming out of the Chicago trials regarding the involvement of ISI in the Mumbai attack. So where are our resident pakistani members. Do you have anything to say regarding this or are you still going to parrot your stock phrase "No proof of ISI involvement in terrorist activities".
      Sir, its all CIA/RAW consiparacy to defame ISI .

Comment

ISI was and will remain a terrorist entity. They have a lot to answer for.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by hammer View Post
          ISI was and will remain a terrorist entity. They have a lot to answer for.
          Unfortunately, our esteemed leader of India has deemed acceptable to talk to Pakistan about peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
            Unfortunately, our esteemed leader of India has deemed acceptable to talk to Pakistan about peace.
            Our esteemed leader is an old man punching way above his weight class as PM and getting all misty eyed in the process as he feels the love for the land of his birth pull on his heartstrings in the autumn of his life.

Come two years hence (at the latest) I hope he retires and takes a vacation there to soothe the pangs. Meet up with old friends and shoot the breeze. We have more serious business to handle in the real world.
            Last edited by vsdoc; 27 May 11,, 15:08.

Comment

Originally posted by vsdoc View Post
              Our esteemed leader is an old man punching way above his weight class as PM and getting all misty eyed in the process as he feels the love for the land of his birth pull on his heartstrings in the autumn of his life.

Come two years hence (at the latest) I hope he retires and takes a vacation there to soothe the pangs. We have more serious business to handle in the real world.
              Unfortunately, the man being groomed to replace him is a certifiable idiot, a playboy with allegations of drug use and shenigans.

Comment

Unfortunately, the man being groomed to replace him is a certifiable idiot, a playboy with allegations of drug use and shenigans.
                That is if our people are stupid enough to vote Congress again. I didn't the last time around, and won't the next time around either.
                Last edited by vsdoc; 27 May 11,, 15:46.

Comment

Guy, this thread is not about the culpability of the ISI. I am just wondering why our esteemed pakistani members have gone missing from this thread. What have they got to say about Headley or is he also an agent of the RAW or Mossad......

BTW, 2012 is supposed to be the year of Ghazwa-E-Hind, so all of you Indians better watch out because pakistan is going to kick ur asss :)
                  Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Well I would say this is just the tip of an iceberg. Who knows what Headley still has to reveal

Comment

Originally posted by vsdoc View Post
                      That is if our people are stupid enough to vote Congress again. I didn't the last time around, and won't the next time around either.
                      I actually hoped that Congress would have been voted out of power this time but I guess the Chief Election Commissioner did not allow that to happen. We need to examine those electronic voting machines in greater depth to ensure that the greatest election fraud did not happen on our watch.

Comment

I actually hoped that Congress would have been voted out of power this time but I guess the Chief Election Commissioner did not allow that to happen. We need to examine those electronic voting machines in greater depth to ensure that the greatest election fraud did not happen on our watch.
                        Most indians know who they want at the top. Its up to his party to stop trying to fight the Congress at its own game. I wait for that day. Till then I'll just continue exercising a negative ballot for want of a better button to push.

Comment

BTW, 2012 is supposed to be the year of Ghazwa-E-Hind, so all of you Indians better watch out because pakistan is going to kick ur asss :)
                          ... Yeah, they have really bought into this Ghazwa-E-Hind joke. They really believe they are going to invade India and conquer it and then go to Syria and find Mohammed (or some dead prophet) and then invade Israel and conquer it as well. And I believe they also have some plan to conquer or convert the whole world to Islam.

I make sure, I read those jokers who post in that thread everyday. Nothing comes close for a good entertainment.

Many of those guys have lost touch with reality. And I bet they are smoking some good stuff too.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

The problem is we are treating terrorism as a law and order problem....hell with the court cases. We should go after them like the Israelis.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Guy, this thread is not about the culpability of the ISI.
                              Oh, then what is it supposed to be about then ?

Comment

Working...
                              X