• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army mobilisation time: 48 hours

Army mobilisation time: 48 hours
    Published: Monday, May 16, 2011, 1:34 IST
    By Suman Sharma | Place: New Delhi | Agency: DNA
    Army mobilisation time: 48 hours - India - DNA
    Bringing down its mobilisation time drastically, the Indian Army can now move forces in just 48 hours, as against the almost-month-long time required by it earlier.

The swift mobilisation is a result of the just concluded strike corps exercise, ‘Vijayee Bhava’, in Rajasthan’s Thar desert.After terror attack on parliament in December 2001, the government had asked the army to mobilise, ‘Op Parakram’, and it took 27 days to do so. However, by that time international diplomatic pressure built up sufficiently to pre-empt any possibility of a military strike against Pakistan.

Since then, the army has been working hard to bring down its mobilisation time to the minimum possible.

Sources said better road management, better offloading, better rail links, equipment and man management, have reduced the mobilisation time. Every strike corps has been working at reducing its own mobilisation period.

Sources said timings may differ for armoured units and artillery units and also what matters is the place and terrain from where they move, like the Dehradun-based 14 Division is a hilly terrain and the Patiala-based 1 Division is farthest when compared to the deserts, where ‘Vijayee Bhava’ was carried out.

Movement is carried out in four phases which are command elements, reconnaissance, main body and balance.

Command elements comprising the formation commanders earlier used to take eight hours which was now been brought down to two hrs.

Reconnaissance comprising two officers, the second in command of the Brigade and the mobile operations, used to take 12 hours which has been brought down to six hours.

The main body of the formation comprises all the three units in the Brigade and their administration and logistics, which used to take 18 hours earlier, has now been brought down to 12 hours.

The remaining of the troops were given 30 hours, as opposed to their 36 hours.

The mission was successful, with all the units of the 60 Brigade meeting at the destined point in 45 hours, and another couple of hours for a final check. The distance covered was around 450 kilometers, and approximately 3500 personnel moved on road, on transportation that was either hired or were army trucks.

A Division has three Brigades in it, and for a complete Division to mobilise, another 10 hours could be added to this, said asource, but for a fighting unit formation, Vijayee Bhava has proved that the target of 48 hours can be achieved.

Support elements, like engineers, logistics, doctors, medical care, artillery, and other administrative items also move along, all of which take time to fall in place. ‘Vijayee Bhava’ also tested the advanced version of the indigenous Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH), with a glass cockpit.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Well i don't know much but thats quick and a massive improvement by India. I wonder how long it takes Pakistan to mobilise its troops:S

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingManiac View Post
      Well i don't know much but thats quick and a massive improvement by India. I wonder how long it takes Pakistan to mobilise its troops:S
      I wonder if any country in the world (including Israel) can beat 48h. That's impressive timing.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I am NOT suggesting that this is the Indian Army equivalent. In fact, given the 48 hour time span, all military professionals here can guess it is best a division- force. But for the Canadians, given zero warning, we can have a battalion group anywhere across the globe.

Comment

Was thinking the same, but if you can do it with one division, it is easily achievable for whole army, just multiply the process.

Wonder IF the Indian infrastructure can support all this giving they are all headed in one direction - supposedly Pakistan.
          Last edited by Doktor; 18 May 11,, 02:58.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            Was thinking the same, but if you can do it with one division, it is easily achievable for whole army, just multiply the process.

Wonder IF the Indian infrastructure can support all this giving they are all headed in one direction - supposedly Pakistan.
            There are only so many threats across the Indian borders that you need to mobilize an entire division. Let me rephrase, for Pakistan or China to mobilize a threat requiring an Indian division response, the Indian Army could respond with a corps ... and they did.

Comment

Its good to know we have this capability, now I am wondering what we are going to do with this newfound power. We sure don't like to actually use it.
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

The current US Army standard is to have the ready brigade of the 82nd Airborne anywhere in the world within 36 hours of notice. During the Rodney King riots in Los Angles, the California Army National Guard's ready brigade located in Sacramento was alerted for activation late-afternoon on the first day of the riots. They were in L.A. patrolling the streets by sunrise.

Comment

Erm, I might be wrong, but over here mobilisation means that the troops are not active in the army, but you call them from their homes or wherever.

That's why I was so jumpy about the timing.

BTW it's so nice to have your troops airborne anywhere in the world within 36 or 48 hours. What's the time needed for travel? I guess it's not any different then what the IA trucks needed for those 450km.

Comment

That's why I pointed out the California National Guard being able to pick up and deploy 385 miles overnight. At 55 mph that's six hours. And I've never seen a military unit move at an average of 55 mph. Usually it's more like 20 or 30. The did close both sides of I-5 and some units moved by personal vehicle. But, they had their infantry and heavy weapons in place at sun rise. Damned impressive for a bunch of part timers who earlier in the day were teaching school or whatever their day jobs are. Hat's off to those guys in the national guard. I have seen the Marines rolling four wide down NC24 between Camp LeJune and the docks at Morehead City. It's impressive. All I can say is it sounds and feels like the gates of hell have opened up.
                    Last edited by wabpilot; 03 Jun 11,, 23:00.

Comment

Well... what can I say but hat off to those fine gents in NG. Great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                        I wonder if any country in the world (including Israel) can beat 48h. That's impressive timing.
                        Yes, several countries can beat it, and its not that impressive. its 48 per brigade, adding divisional assets adds 10 hours, and probably longer for corps assets as road traffic builds up. The US deployed a brigade from the US to Saudi Arabia in 48 hours and had heavier USMC units on the ground there by sea 8 days from the Saudi request for aid.

Comment

Z, thanks for the reply. I think wabpilot answered my question for exactly what I meant - people called from home. And more impressive (to me) almost 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            Yes, several countries can beat it, and its not that impressive. its 48 per brigade, adding divisional assets adds 10 hours, and probably longer for corps assets as road traffic builds up. The US deployed a brigade from the US to Saudi Arabia in 48 hours and had heavier USMC units on the ground there by sea 8 days from the Saudi request for aid.
                            The 82nd mostly consisted of infrantry units. The Indian brigade in question was part of the strike corps so it means it had armor units and heavy elements including artillery and bridge laying units.

Comment

Distances are also immensely shorter.

Comment

Working...
                              X