Protection of head of state in United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection of head of state in United States

I am curious about who takes responsibility for it.

I know that whenever the President of US travels abroad, the Secret Service goes with him and they go out in force.

Does US allow other countries' head of state to do the same in US?

or Secret Service demand and forcibly takes over the protection duties?

Other countries are allowed their own details. There is no way the US Secret Service would ever be allowed to protect the Russian version FOOTBALL.

Plus there are limits to that protection in foreign countries. The Secret Service is not allowed to enter a sitting Parliament armed.

Comment

I often read news reports on how the Secret Service completely takes over an building and start dictating the rules in foreign countries. Might be of a hyperbole nature. Is there a limit to how many bodyguards that each visiting head of state is allowed?

Comment

I don't know the exact answer to your questions, but might I suggest the POTUS is both a bigger target, and far more hated, than the PM of Trinidad and Tobago, for example.

If the Secret Service is not given some latitude, the end result might be no visit, and that isn't beneficial to either nation. And it's not like the S.S. is going to launch a coup or stir up trouble.

How do you abbreviate Secret Service without having it look like the Schutzstaffel? ;)

Comment

When Clinton Visited Macedonia the capital city was blocked for 4 hours. All the streets were closed, choppers were flying over the Parliament (2 of the Macedonian police and 2 US). I didn't see many Man in Black tho
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            When Clinton Visited Macedonia the capital city was blocked for 4 hours. All the streets were closed, choppers were flying over the Parliament (2 of the Macedonian police and 2 US). I didn't see many Man in Black tho
            I'm certainly not advocating major disruptions to a city. The needs for security must be balanced with the function of a city and the needs of the locals.

Comment

I am not sure if that was totally US S.S. request to lock the city or our Police did it "just in case".

See, things are always interpreted Americans are superstars and do what they want. The reality is somewhere in between. No country wants a major fvck up with POTUS visit, the thing is how organized that particular country is.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                I am curious about who takes responsibility for it.

I know that whenever the President of US travels abroad, the Secret Service goes with him and they go out in force.

Does US allow other countries' head of state to do the same in US?

or Secret Service demand and forcibly takes over the protection duties?
                See link below, this should asnswer all your questions.

Diplomatic Security Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardss

Arty
                "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Arty,

My question remains that if the other country, let's say, China, wants to use its own protection service in force, will they be permitted to do so just like the Secret Service demand that kind of level when traveling to China?

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    Arty,

My question remains that if the other country, let's say, China, wants to use its own protection service in force, will they be permitted to do so just like the Secret Service demand that kind of level when traveling to China?
                    Short answer is yes they are, however under the close supervision/in partnership with the above mentioned agencey. A Branch called the Protective Liason Division

Link Protective Liaison Division

Regards

Arty
                    "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X