Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone assume plastic means weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does everyone assume plastic means weak?

I've gone through a lot of threads and it seems so many people really hate the plastic composites on rifles today. I mean they are quite durable and lighter which means everything if you've already got a lot of weight to carry in your rucksack.
    When I went to basic in 98 (just reserves going reg force CDN infantry when I get home from my travells) I saw my corporal stomp on the charging handle of my C-7 with the butt on the ground to clear a stoppage. It didn't break and I mean he stomped the **** out of it. I did however, get in **** as he went around a hut and told me to stay put but I wanted to see what he was doing.

I saw those things put through **** and abuse and still work just fine. That being said I don't know anything about how durable the collapsible stock is. It can't be too bad though. It's not likle you'd use it to beat a concrete wall now would you. Even a wooden stock isn't going to opne a reinforced door before someone mentions it. That's what explosives are for...
    Originally posted by GVChamp
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Originally posted by Batman
    I've gone through a lot of threads and it seems so many people really hate the plastic composites on rifles today. I mean they are quite durable and lighter which means everything if you've already got a lot of weight to carry in your rucksack.
    When I went to basic in 98 (just reserves going reg force CDN infantry when I get home from my travells) I saw my corporal stomp on the charging handle of my C-7 with the butt on the ground to clear a stoppage. It didn't break and I mean he stomped the **** out of it. I did however, get in **** as he went around a hut and told me to stay put but I wanted to see what he was doing.

I saw those things put through **** and abuse and still work just fine. That being said I don't know anything about how durable the collapsible stock is. It can't be too bad though. It's not likle you'd use it to beat a concrete wall now would you. Even a wooden stock isn't going to opne a reinforced door before someone mentions it. That's what explosives are for...
    I liked the plastics in my M4 and made sure all my M14s had plastic instead of wood when we were issued them prior to Iraq.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

It's truly amazing how far plstics have gine these days...
      I think some people just need to feel how tough plastics are; just take a CD and try to break it.
      Very hard to do indeed. Like crushing an egg by putting pressureon the top and bottom.

Comment

SOme plastics especially those newer ones are tougher than the early days ! I still have a Steyr SSG sniper rifle and its plastic stock deftintly not in par with those new HK and SIG .

My AUG's plastic is not very strong, empty cartidge once got stuck on the ejection area, the bolt slam it and the hot brass eats into the plastic stock of the AUG! I was horrified ...

Plastic defeitnyl is here to stay ! I carry a plastic gun! " Glock 19! And I will depend my life on these plastic gun!

DaveC!

Comment

Are you a cop?
          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

[NO, I am not a cop! but we live in Texas. COnceal carry is very common here . Thanks to President Bush ( than Governer Bush) which grant us COnceal carry permit!
            :)
            DaveC

Comment

Do you mean you can carry a hidden pistol? Are you allowed to walk around with rifles as well? May sound like a silly question but hey.....

Comment

good question!

1st question! YEs ! for the conceal carry permit! you have to carry your firearms conceal ( we are referring to pistols)! Only using it as a deterrance or equilizer when you have no option to run , fear of your life and have to defend yourself.

YEs and No on the rile part, you can technically carry rifle/shotgun without this restriction. BUT! I do not think it is wise to bring a HK-91 rifle in downtown Dallas. This rules usually is for rural areas where you see ranchers patrolling their properties to kill rattle snacks and Cayotes and other varmints! I have always see farmers in the back of their truck a 3030 rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun.

Cheers!

DaveC!

Comment

Hey my dad drives me around my farm in the farm truck with my 12-gauge so I can get up close to crows; it's really fun. I wouldn't really want to carry that gun around downtown, though. I think you can't legally brandish (not carry) firearms unless you're defending yourself.

Comment

I like the plastic frame of my USP. It never gets worn down.
                    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

You should see some plastics they use today in framing, expensive toys, models and such...
                      I held a hollow block of light plastic, the same kind they use in the xm8, and it was so light...
                      but I tried to bend/break it in a vise, but couldn't...
                      It's light, and VERY strong. Much better than wood. (just kinda generalizing here) It's just that many people have never really handled wooden rifles in a military situation; they think of synthetic as quite useless, beacuse they haven't handled the stuff in the military.

Hey, my 1000th post! I thought I would never make it to here, but I proved myself wrong! Hurray me!

Comment

Ya, hurray you.
                        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by davechng
                          good question!

1st question! YEs ! for the conceal carry permit! you have to carry your firearms conceal ( we are referring to pistols)! Only using it as a deterrance or equilizer when you have no option to run , fear of your life and have to defend yourself.

YEs and No on the rile part, you can technically carry rifle/shotgun without this restriction. BUT! I do not think it is wise to bring a HK-91 rifle in downtown Dallas. This rules usually is for rural areas where you see ranchers patrolling their properties to kill rattle snacks and Cayotes and other varmints! I have always see farmers in the back of their truck a 3030 rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun.

Cheers!

DaveC!

I want a concealed weapons license. Oooh what should I buy? Something sexy to impress all the girls!

Comment

This is sad: I'm a complete gun nut, and my mom hates them. I don't have a CHL, my mom (who is a District Attorney) does.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman
                              I want a concealed weapons license. Oooh what should I buy? Something sexy to impress all the girls!
                              In England? HAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHA!

I was going to suggest an airgun, but I hear that aomeone there wants to ban those too.

-dale

Comment

Working...
                              X