Krugman Savages Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krugman Savages Obama

The news here isn't what Obama has done, or what the GOP Congress has done, or Paul Ryan's budget proposal.

The news here is Paul Krugman, highly acclaimed economist and long-time ardent supporter of Obama, dropping a load of bricks on Obama's head for not doing what Krugman thinks he ought to do.

Krugman is a thought leader among Democrats and progressives. Although he's echoing some of the muffled complaints already coming from Dems in congress that Obama is not leading or not blasting the GOP more, Krugman coming out like this may start a mini-wave of criticism among other Obama supporters.

So, if you see any news articles dated 4/10 or later along those lines, post them here, and let's see if a trend is developing.

Op-Ed Columnist
    The President Is Missing
    By PAUL KRUGMAN
    Published: April 10, 2011

What have they done with President Obama? What happened to the inspirational figure his supporters thought they elected? Who is this bland, timid guy who doesn’t seem to stand for anything in particular?
    Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times

I realize that with hostile Republicans controlling the House, there’s not much Mr. Obama can get done in the way of concrete policy. Arguably, all he has left is the bully pulpit. But he isn’t even using that — or, rather, he’s using it to reinforce his enemies’ narrative.

His remarks after last week’s budget deal were a case in point.

Maybe that terrible deal, in which Republicans ended up getting more than their opening bid, was the best he could achieve — although it looks from here as if the president’s idea of how to bargain is to start by negotiating with himself, making pre-emptive concessions, then pursue a second round of negotiation with the G.O.P., leading to further concessions.

And bear in mind that this was just the first of several chances for Republicans to hold the budget hostage and threaten a government shutdown; by caving in so completely on the first round, Mr. Obama set a baseline for even bigger concessions over the next few months.

But let’s give the president the benefit of the doubt, and suppose that $38 billion in spending cuts — and a much larger cut relative to his own budget proposals — was the best deal available. Even so, did Mr. Obama have to celebrate his defeat? Did he have to praise Congress for enacting “the largest annual spending cut in our history,” as if shortsighted budget cuts in the face of high unemployment — cuts that will slow growth and increase unemployment — are actually a good idea?

Among other things, the latest budget deal more than wipes out any positive economic effects of the big prize Mr. Obama supposedly won from last December’s deal, a temporary extension of his 2009 tax cuts for working Americans. And the price of that deal, let’s remember, was a two-year extension of the Bush tax cuts, at an immediate cost of $363 billion, and a potential cost that’s much larger — because it’s now looking increasingly likely that those irresponsible tax cuts will be made permanent.

More broadly, Mr. Obama is conspicuously failing to mount any kind of challenge to the philosophy now dominating Washington discussion — a philosophy that says the poor must accept big cuts in Medicaid and food stamps; the middle class must accept big cuts in Medicare (actually a dismantling of the whole program); and corporations and the rich must accept big cuts in the taxes they have to pay. Shared sacrifice!

I’m not exaggerating. The House budget proposal that was unveiled last week — and was praised as “bold” and “serious” by all of Washington’s Very Serious People — includes savage cuts in Medicaid and other programs that help the neediest, which would among other things deprive 34 million Americans of health insurance. It includes a plan to privatize and defund Medicare that would leave many if not most seniors unable to afford health care. And it includes a plan to sharply cut taxes on corporations and to bring the tax rate on high earners down to its lowest level since 1931.

The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center puts the revenue loss from these tax cuts at $2.9 trillion over the next decade. House Republicans claim that the tax cuts can be made “revenue neutral” by “broadening the tax base” — that is, by closing loopholes and ending exemptions. But you’d need to close a lot of loopholes to close a $3 trillion gap; for example, even completely eliminating one of the biggest exemptions, the mortgage interest deduction, wouldn’t come close. And G.O.P. leaders have not, of course, called for anything that drastic. I haven’t seen them name any significant exemptions they would end.

You might have expected the president’s team not just to reject this proposal, but to see it as a big fat political target. But while the G.O.P. proposal has drawn fire from a number of Democrats — including a harsh condemnation from Senator Max Baucus, a centrist who has often worked with Republicans — the White House response was a statement from the press secretary expressing mild disapproval.

What’s going on here? Despite the ferocious opposition he has faced since the day he took office, Mr. Obama is clearly still clinging to his vision of himself as a figure who can transcend America’s partisan differences. And his political strategists seem to believe that he can win re-election by positioning himself as being conciliatory and reasonable, by always being willing to compromise.

But if you ask me, I’d say that the nation wants — and more important, the nation needs — a president who believes in something, and is willing to take a stand. And that’s not what we’re seeing.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Im waiting for rosie to downplay this somehow.

Comment

If Krugman wants to know what happened the Obama, that's easy.....Pelosi. That damn wrinkled, hag Pelosi.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
        If Krugman wants to know what happened the Obama, that's easy.....Pelosi. That damn wrinkled, hag Pelosi.
        Nah,
        "But if you ask me, I’d say that the nation wants — and more important, the nation needs — a president who believes in something, and is willing to take a stand. And that’s not what we’re seeing."
        From the election forward I'm yet to see any evidence that Obama believes in anything beyond an academic level. IMO he hasn't ever walked through the fire, he doesn't know how to stand for something or make a hard decision. He was picked for his electability, for his acting and oration, and now he is being run by committee.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          Nah,
          "But if you ask me, I’d say that the nation wants — and more important, the nation needs — a president who believes in something, and is willing to take a stand. And that’s not what we’re seeing."
          From the election forward I'm yet to see any evidence that Obama believes in anything beyond an academic level. IMO he hasn't ever walked through the fire, he doesn't know how to stand for something or make a hard decision. He was picked for his electability, for his acting and oration, and now he is being run by committee.
          He has taken firm stands against using the power of the federal government to protect illegal immigrants from state laws, the issuing of drilling permits in the Gulf of Mexico and that America must apologize for its shameful greatness.

Oh, and he is a rock solid supporter of hiring more government workers and using political contributions as a gauge for deciding national worth.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
            The news here isn't what Obama has done, or what the GOP Congress has done, or Paul Ryan's budget proposal.

The news here is Paul Krugman, highly acclaimed economist and long-time ardent supporter of Obama, dropping a load of bricks on Obama's head for not doing what Krugman thinks he ought to do.

Krugman is a thought leader among Democrats and progressives. Although he's echoing some of the muffled complaints already coming from Dems in congress that Obama is not leading or not blasting the GOP more, Krugman coming out like this may start a mini-wave of criticism among other Obama supporters.

So, if you see any news articles dated 4/10 or later along those lines, post them here, and let's see if a trend is developing.

But if you ask me, I’d say that the nation wants — and more important, the nation needs — a president who believes in something, and is willing to take a stand. And that’s not what we’re seeing.

What Obama stands for and believes in is plenty clear - his reelection.

Comment

Generally i agree with Krugman but, in this case Obama got all he could and the nation does want cuts. He protected headstart and he prevented a vendetta against planned parenthood and once again the narrative is Obama will work with republicans and they have great difficukty working with him. Just look at the dissenters already lining up on the deal reached. Krugman in this case should take a deep breath and think of the succuss from 1995-2000 in good governance.
              Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
              ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

There has been far left criticism of Obama early on, especially when his healthcare reform, "didn't go far enough". Obama is just too far to the right for these people.
                Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

krugman has been savaging obama for a long, long time. generally speaking the progressive movement views obama as a weak centrist.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

What have they done with President Obama? What happened to the inspirational figure his supporters thought they elected? Who is this bland, timid guy who doesn’t seem to stand for anything in particular?
                    What? Paul Krugman didn't see this with his vast "Nobel-prize-winning" intellect? Even a dunce like me saw that. Or maybe it's because the smartest leftwinger is dumber than a right-wing moron. If that's so, I am happy to be a right-wing moron.

Krugman is a hack.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

gunnut,

What? Paul Krugman didn't see this with his vast "Nobel-prize-winning" intellect?
                      i don't know if you track his column (given that it's called "Conscience of a Liberal", i doubt it), but he was being sarcastic there. ever since obama's candidacy PK has been attacking obama for being what he considers a centrist in liberal clothing.

note:

What happened to the inspirational figure his supporters thought they elected?
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

;) I voted for a centrist who I thought was a tad left of Bill Clinton. Hillary was the more liberal candidate
                        Originally posted by astralis View Post
                        gunnut,

i don't know if you track his column (given that it's called "Conscience of a Liberal", i doubt it), but he was being sarcastic there. ever since obama's candidacy PK has been attacking obama for being what he considers a centrist in liberal clothing.

note:
                        ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                          ;) I voted for a centrist who I thought was a tad left of Bill Clinton. Hillary was the more liberal candidate
                          What? You do know she was raised a Republican. She switched parties while in College. I have her book.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                            What? You do know she was raised a Republican. She switched parties while in College. I have her book.
                            Yea, she was back when republicans were quite different. I was referencing the campaign and her comments on medicare for all
                            ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

I remember something from PK a few months ago to the effect that the for next decade the US economy will be a repeat of Japan. We'll just have to live with it.

I thought it ironic.
                              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                              X