Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Assembly OKS concealed guns for four legislators

Assembly OKS concealed guns for four legislators

Editor's note: This post was updated at 5:40 p.m. to include a link to a new post with a response from the Assembly speaker.

Assembly Chief Sergeant-at-Arms Ronald Pane has given four legislators permission to carry concealed weapons in the state Capitol, according to two senior Senate staff members who have been informed of the decision.

State law prohibits carrying loaded firearms and deadly weapons in public buildings, except under limited conditions. A 2010 bill by Assemblywoman Cathleen Galgiani, D-Livingston, tightened the law, requiring that most holders of concealed weapons permits or other gun licenses get permission from the sergeants-at-arms of the state Assembly or the state Senate in order to bring their gun in the Capitol or legislative office buildings. Peace officers are exempt from the restrictions.

No such approval has been given in the Senate, where the Rules Committee has established a no-guns policy. Senate Chief Sergeant-at-Arms Tony Beard said while he respects the Assembly's judgment to establish its own security practices to best protect its members, it would take an "extraordinary situation" for him to give a member the OK to carry a concealed weapon in the building. He said his focus has been on how existing safety protocol and systems can be used to respond to threats and protect all members, staff and visitors.

Shortly after The Bee first reported the news, a spokesman for Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez said the Los Angeles Democrat had asked Pane to revoke the authorizations "pending a full review of safety and security measures."

As the Sacramento Bee reported this week, sergeants for the lower house have recently started carrying concealed weapons full-time while on duty.

Pane and a spokeswoman for Pérez, who directed the change in policy, said the move was intended to create continuity and enhance safety for members, staff and the public as a whole.

The measures, which come in the wake of the January shooting of Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, are in addition to existing security present at the Capitol, including armed California Highway Patrol officers and metal detectors and security stationed at building entrances.

Read more: Capitol Alert: Assembly OKS concealed guns for four legislators
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Notice the article doesn't mention who were given these special favors.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Just another day at the office so. Sometimes the lack of guns in my society is acute, wish I could have a sawn-off shotgun when I'm playing football....just try and score.
      Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
      - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post

Just another day at the office so. Sometimes the lack of guns in my society is acute, wish I could have a sawn-off shotgun when I'm playing football....just try and score.
        Hey...I resent your stereotypical view of Americans...

We have flat panel TVs now...
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Hey...I resent your stereotypical view of Americans...

We have flat panel TVs now...
          and some of us actually have more guitars than guns...

Attached Files
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post

Pane and a spokeswoman for Pérez, who directed the change in policy, said the move was intended to create continuity and enhance safety for members, staff and the public as a whole.
            Ahhhh. They are doing this to protect gunnut
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
            X